Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Brooklyn Grey 330e LCI – a couple of tanks review and a bit of an intro

03-06-2023, 03:34 PM   #1
idej_jedi
Rep
Drives: G20 LCI 330e / E85 Z4 3.0si

Brooklyn Grey 330e LCI – a couple of tanks review and a bit of an intro

I’ve been a BMW owner since 2011. In this time, I’ve had 5 BMWs with the G20 being my 6th – the pick of them probably being the E86 3.0si. I’ve done several European road trips, the NC500 and countless other UK road trips.

I’ve currently got the E85 3.0si as my weekend/road trip toy.

For the last 3 years my daily driver has been a Ford Focus ST Line X. When the chance to get a brand new G20 with the tax benefit came along it was too good an offer to resist. I originally ordered a Merc 330e but that fell through, which I was pretty happy about when the LCI launched. Personal preference, but I never liked the front lights (sad eyes) or dated screens in the pre LCI.

I’ve had the car just over a month so thought it might be useful/interesting to share some thoughts.

ECONOMY

My first tank was used driving to Heathrow and back from North Wales. Full charge before I set off and ended up with a 45mpg average doing around 77mph. Used sport gears when needed but most was done in standard hybrid.

The second tank I had three 100-120 mile round trips largely on motorways and one final 70 mile motorway trip always setting off with a full charge. During this time, I did around 10-15 pure EV trips tootling about where I live (supermarket, shops, gym etc). As you can see below that returned 68.9mpg and nearly 600 miles from a £54 tank (I had 29 miles left when I filled up). I had a couple of spirited drives in full sport mode when the opportunity presented itself.

Overall, I’m pretty impressed with nearly a nearly 70mpg average. Still to take it on a ‘proper’ drive which I’ll be doing once I complete the running in phase…I’m sure then it’ll not return much over 20mpg.

RIDE

I’m on the M Sport suspension with 19” Eagle F1 runflats. After reading a lot on here before I got the car I was very worried. I’ve had two Z4s on runflats and they were an absolute nightmare.

Maybe it’s because of that experience or the fact I’m coming from a Ford Focus but I have been really surprised by the quality of the ride. The sound deadening in G20 is by far the best I’ve ever experienced in a car that I or the wife has owed. It can be a bit ‘jiggly’ at times but overall its nowhere near as bad as I expected after reading a lot of what is said on here. Those with adaptive suspension and non runflats must be driving on air.

The only time I’ve noticed an issue is when you’re going around a corner and the tyres are cold and you hit a pothole, it does skip a little then.

WHAT’S GOOD

Driving position
The way the windscreen washer distributes the water
iDrive 8
Google Maps turn by turn in the instrument cluster
The multiple driving options and customisation
HK sound system

WHATS BAD

The app – have to reset iDrive 8 with the phone in the wireless charger to re-sync
The wireless charger overheating and crashing my phone
The quality of the leather on the steering wheel (need to take it to Royals)

Here it is after a few mods/upgrades, my favourite being the first thing I ever bought for my first BMW, a BMW branded USB port for the 12v socket.

Appreciate 0
      03-07-2023, 05:19 AM   #2
Dirty Boy
Rep
Drives: 2021 320d Touring

Going by the last sentence, was there supposed to be photo's ?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2023, 08:35 AM   #3
Jimbon1973
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M340i Touring (ordered Jan 22)

Each to their own I suppose, but I'd have cancelled my order if I didn't get the Pre-LCI version, almost all to do with the screen. I want a dashboard, not a spaceship. After all, it's that part you spend most of the time looking out, not lights, exterior tweaks etc.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2023, 09:31 AM   #4
blue_seather
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 G26 M440i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbon1973 View Post
Each to their own I suppose, but I'd have cancelled my order if I didn't get the Pre-LCI version, almost all to do with the screen. I want a dashboard, not a spaceship. After all, it's that part you spend most of the time looking out, not lights, exterior tweaks etc.
While I'd generally agree with you, my main gripe is with how the screen is integrated. It's not as seemless as I would like but that shouldn't be a dealbreaker.

You already have two screens on iDrive 7 and apart from the questionably better integration with the center screen still sticking out and the instrument cluster being glued down in the weirdest possible way with zero to no depth and at a clunky angle, they are objectively a far worse system. Zero customization on a low brigthness ugly instruments cluster with an inverted RPM meter and an extremely outdated UI on the main one.

iDrive 7 is a bit better organised, sure, I give you that. And the the lack of physical climate controls is a pity, although BMWs still have the physical knob unlike both Mercedes and Audi.

What matters at the end of the day is that with what Mercedes, VAG and the Koreans have to offer, iDrive 8 is by far the best "modern" proposition out there.
Appreciate 0