Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Fan whistling noise - 3 days out of warranty :-(

03-02-2023, 02:29 PM   #1
xlfat
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport

Fan whistling noise - 3 days out of warranty :-(

Anyone else had issues with the fans? 330i (2020), 3 days out of the official warranty...heating is set on AUTO and as soon as the fan kicked in, after about 0.5 miles, I notice a whirring/whistling sound. Everything works, it's just the sound. I had it serviced, MOT'd, end of warranty checked 2 weeks back.

It only happens at mid-speed, and isn't there at high speed (so if you put it on manual it happens mid way up the scale). Weird. Checked underneath the bonnet, can't see anything stuck so am stumped.

I have a 2 month extended warranty from the non-BMW dealership I got the car from so hopefully it's covered, but still need to pay my local BMW dealer £130/hour for diagnostics
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2023, 04:37 PM   #2
siwatkins
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M440i XDrive Coupe (G22)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlfat View Post
Anyone else had issues with the fans? 330i (2020), 3 days out of the official warranty...heating is set on AUTO and as soon as the fan kicked in, after about 0.5 miles, I notice a whirring/whistling sound. Everything works, it's just the sound. I had it serviced, MOT'd, end of warranty checked 2 weeks back.

It only happens at mid-speed, and isn't there at high speed (so if you put it on manual it happens mid way up the scale). Weird. Checked underneath the bonnet, can't see anything stuck so am stumped.

I have a 2 month extended warranty from the non-BMW dealership I got the car from so hopefully it's covered, but still need to pay my local BMW dealer £130/hour for diagnostics
Wonder if they changed the cabin/pollen filter at the service and that’s connected to the noise?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2023, 01:35 AM   #3
Azure350z
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i

Yep sounds like they didn't set the ventilation to recirc before they hanged the cabin filter, same thing happened to me. Take it back to them and tell them to fix it as they broke it. The outside air intake flap needs turning back the position it should be in, there is a tsb telling dealers about this but they appear to ignore it.

If not, you can fix it yourself if you search for my past posts but ultimately the problem wasn't there before they touched it so they should fix it.
Appreciate 2
Seaford1147.50
xlfat2.00
      03-03-2023, 07:09 AM   #4
docsubaru
Rep
Drives: G20 330e

Possibly unrelated but same problem with my F30 which was a resonance in the air conditioning which is cured by a re-gas. G20 has some weights added to the pipes now to prevent this, but I am suspicious. Took me ages to work this out
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2023, 07:17 AM   #5
xlfat
Rep

Well just checked and the fresh air flap doesn't open at all from what I can see.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2023, 09:48 AM   #6
Azure350z
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i

That's what happens when they install the cabin filter without setting the flap to closed first by putting it in recirc.

Honestly you need to just go back to them and tell them to fix it as they broke it. Same thing happened to me but I fixed it myself
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2023, 12:58 PM   #7
xlfat
Rep

I'm taking it back, will see what they say. I'll make it clear again (politely obvs) when I get there that it only happened since they serviced it and replaced the filter.

Can't get to them though for over a week, so I might try and sort it myself If I get some time over the weekend. Cheers for the advice + guide on that other thread
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2023, 03:49 AM   #8
Keith_C
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlfat View Post
I'm taking it back, will see what they say. I'll make it clear again (politely obvs) when I get there that it only happened since they serviced it and replaced the filter.

Can't get to them though for over a week, so I might try and sort it myself If I get some time over the weekend. Cheers for the advice + guide on that other thread
Yep, did same to me, had a service with pollen filter and they told me there was a fault error thrown up on the air circulation and needed to be booked back in to investigate and rectify. It turns out they had trapped the flap or something like that when installing the pollen filter!! You'd think they would have sorted it before I got the car back at the service but I don't think they have the initiative to work out that what they did 5 mins ago could have caused the problem! So, another wasted day of my car in the dealership!!
M240i - Thundernight Metallic - Cognac Interior - M Technology Pack - Technology Plus Pack - Comfort Pack - HK - Driving Assistant - M Adaptive Suspension - 19" 893 M Double-spoke Bicolour Alloy Wheels - Aluminium Rhombicle Interior Trim
Appreciate 0