Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK panel gap?

03-03-2023, 08:46 PM   #1
alij
Private
Rep
Drives: 320d

panel gap?

Hi guys
Picked up my 3 series on Tuesday. Friday at time of post. Noticed a small panel gap between the bonnet and front (pic 1), and when sliding my thumb down the side of the bonnet that sits flush it seems to sit a bit lower then the panels on the side (pic2). Should I take it to bmw?
Bonnet also took a bit of power to close - seemed that one side wouldn’t close and one side would with a little bit of force.
All help appreciated.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-04-2023, 01:10 AM   #2
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

If that’s where you just bought it from, still have warranty etc. then yes. Take it back!
Otherwise any good body shop will able to adjust the hinge height to seat it correctly if that’s what it is. Or tell you whether it has been in an accident before (worst case).
There are also two hooks at the front underside. If one side sits higher than the other the locking mechanism itself could also be damaged either side. You can check this by lightly applying pressure to the raised side and see if it goes down or has some play. Not too hard to introduce a dent mind you. If goes down and makes things look level all round then that’s a good thing. I would recommend spraying lubricant in the locking mechanism where the hooks meet but haven’t done my research on whether lock grease is the preferred method.

Let us know how you get on.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2023, 12:33 PM   #3
alij
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul_Glo View Post
If that’s where you just bought it from, still have warranty etc. then yes. Take it back!
Otherwise any good body shop will able to adjust the hinge height to seat it correctly if that’s what it is. Or tell you whether it has been in an accident before (worst case).
There are also two hooks at the front underside. If one side sits higher than the other the locking mechanism itself could also be damaged either side. You can check this by lightly applying pressure to the raised side and see if it goes down or has some play. Not too hard to introduce a dent mind you. If goes down and makes things look level all round then that’s a good thing. I would recommend spraying lubricant in the locking mechanism where the hooks meet but haven’t done my research on whether lock grease is the preferred method.

Thank you very much for the reply. Didn’t seem to go down when pushed so I assume it’s locked in, but I have noticed a few more panel gaps on the gap side. Hoping it’s just the issue of hinge height to even out the gaps and it’s not an accident.
Emailed my sales advisor today. Hopefully can get an appointment this week. Is it worth going to a. Local mechanic beforehand to get a better understanding ?
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2023, 02:25 PM   #4
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alij View Post
Thank you very much for the reply. Didn’t seem to go down when pushed so I assume it’s locked in, but I have noticed a few more panel gaps on the gap side. Hoping it’s just the issue of hinge height to even out the gaps and it’s not an accident.
Emailed my sales advisor today. Hopefully can get an appointment this week. Is it worth going to a. Local mechanic beforehand to get a better understanding ?
Thanks!
It wouldn’t hurt if you know a friendly local garage. Some are happy to advise or give their opinion. Often people who know what their looking at say things like: Yes this is what the problem is and this is how much I’d charge you to fix it. Knowledge is power. So if the dealer turns around and says: it’s ware and tear.. you know that’s not the case. Surprised it passed their quality control. Standards are slipping. Hope it works out and it’s not hidden accident damage.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2023, 02:32 PM   #5
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Easy fix. Allow your dealer service department to adjust the hood lock and/or the stops to help make the hood close better and the panels to line up better.
      03-04-2023, 02:36 PM   #6
Assassin
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340d MHT xDrive

That bonnet height can be changed at either / both sides by turning the rubber/plastic adjusters at either side of the engine bay allowing the bonnet to be correctly aligned. you can see them in the pic below, one just below the winscreenwasher bottle filler cap and on other side just to the right of the marked area. Clockwise for down, counter clockwise for up. (sample picture copied from another thread)

Also never push the bonnet down, always drop it from just enough height to get it to catch at both sides. When properly adjusted if catches pretty easily. Its too easy to dent a panel nowadays by pushing down....... and they are expensive to fix!.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      03-05-2023, 03:44 AM   #7
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 840 M Sport Gran Coupe

Quote:
Hi guys
Picked up my 3 series on Tuesday. Friday at time of post. Noticed a small panel gap between the bonnet and front (pic 1), and when sliding my thumb down the side of the bonnet that sits flush it seems to sit a bit lower then the panels on the side (pic2). Should I take it to bmw?
Bonnet also took a bit of power to close - seemed that one side wouldn’t close and one side would with a little bit of force.
All help appreciated.
The handbook says to drop the bonnet from eighteen inches. My 330 and current 840 were both very difficult to close….I successfully adjusted the pins on the underside of the bonnet on my 330 myself and let the dealer sort the 840 when it was in for a service.

Still takes quite a slam though!
Appreciate 1
Soul_Glo13347.00
      03-09-2023, 07:38 PM   #8
alij
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul_Glo View Post

Hey bro hope you don’t mind the tag. Current right head light looks like this - dealer says it’s just due to weather conditions - thoughts?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-10-2023, 03:04 AM   #9
SilverGrey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport

Quote:
Hey bro hope you don’t mind the tag. Current right head light looks like this - dealer says it’s just due to weather conditions - thoughts?
That doesn’t look right. How does the other one look?

Previous BMW's:
F36 420i Gran Coupe M Sport; Z4 Coupe 3.0si M Sport; E46 325i Sport coupe;
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2023, 06:01 AM   #10
alij
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGrey View Post
That doesn’t look right. How does the other one look?
Completely dry!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2023, 06:22 AM   #11
SilverGrey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport

Quote:
Completely dry!
I think that tells you the dealer saying it's the 'weather conditions' is telling your porkies.

Previous BMW's:
F36 420i Gran Coupe M Sport; Z4 Coupe 3.0si M Sport; E46 325i Sport coupe;
Appreciate 1
      03-10-2023, 09:09 AM   #12
a.summers86
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 MSport Pro

Some fogging is normal but that does look quite excessive.

Given a laser light is circa £3k new that may be why they are trying to wriggle out.
Appreciate 1
Soul_Glo13347.00
      03-10-2023, 09:10 AM   #13
alij
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.summers86 View Post
Some fogging is normal but that does look quite excessive.

Given a laser light is circa £3k new that may be why they are trying to wriggle out.
Anything I can say to get them to actually get replaced // sealed again?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2023, 09:46 AM   #14
paulockenden
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330e xDrive Touring

Quote:
Anything I can say to get them to actually get replaced // sealed again?
The fact that the two lights are different. It it was normal temperature related misting the two units would show the same. So one is obviously faulty.
Appreciate 1
Soul_Glo13347.00
      03-10-2023, 02:05 PM   #15
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Not at all.
For the record just add the at (@) symbol followed by the username. As soon as you enter the symbol the user box comes up.
That looks excessive as others have said. Try a different dealer for a warranty claim.
If it dries out and goes away and looks like it was never there then it is fine. However, if there is a pool of water that doesn’t go away then it is an issue. Or if it looks like that all day even after driving.
The seal may be broken on the light. It’s not the first time BMW have failed to do their checks and sold accident damaged cars.
The more I think about it.. panel gaps.. excessive moisture in the light.. may have experienced light impact at one point.
It might be in your interest speaking to a friendly body shop to see what their opinion is. Strengthen your case so to speak because if there are more signs of damage is it even structurally safe? Are there any other gaps? Check between fender and door. That’s often the hardest area to correct post-accident. If the wings have gaps where the doors meet.. and the gaps are big and not straight then I’d raise an eyebrow.

Hope it works out for you. If this dealer is not interested then try another one.
Appreciate 0