2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Aircon

09-25-2022, 04:33 AM   #23
Azure350z
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koz1614 View Post
When you say the flap is working as it should, can you detail how you tested it?

I am currently having an issue with the fresh air function. While my car is (parked, engine running, AC on, and fresh air checked) the flap seems to be closed to the outside preventing fresh air. Yet, as soon as I uncheck AC, I can feel the air pulling in at the base of the windshield outside the car.
If you open the bonnet, then top right corner (passenger side) is a cover that easy to remove (on the left side the cover is over the brake fluid).

Remove the cover and you'll either have a big hole like mine or the battery for mild hybrid. In this hole you'll see a wide mesh bolted to the back and you can easily see the fresh air flap to see if its moving or not.

One thing to note is that it doesn't move instantly, there's a slight delay between pressing the button and it moving.

If your struggling, let me know and I'll take some pics.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2022, 08:11 AM   #24
22Black
Private
Rep
Drives: 22’ 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure350z View Post
If you open the bonnet, then top right corner (passenger side) is a cover that easy to remove (on the left side the cover is over the brake fluid).

Remove the cover and you'll either have a big hole like mine or the battery for mild hybrid. In this hole you'll see a wide mesh bolted to the back and you can easily see the fresh air flap to see if its moving or not.

One thing to note is that it doesn't move instantly, there's a slight delay between pressing the button and it moving.

If your struggling, let me know and I'll take some pics.
Thank you, I see the vent from under the bonnet.

If you have a moment can you tell me how yours functions?

While my car is parked, engine running, AC on, and fresh air checked the flap seems to be closed to the outside preventing fresh air. Yet, as soon as I uncheck AC, I can feel the air pulling in at the base of the windshield outside the car. Its driving me crazy, so if you can do a quick check and let me know so I have some comparison I'd really appreciate that. Thanks!!

Update: I see the flap is open/closed when switching between recirculation and fresh air. However, I notice with the A/C on the vent doesn't pull in air (there is a sort of suction). When I turn the A/C off, there is a suction feeling at that vent. Can you confirm? Thanks so much!!

Last edited by 22Black; 09-25-2022 at 10:46 AM.. Reason: update
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2022, 11:52 AM   #25
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Update: I see the flap is open/closed when switching between recirculation and fresh air. However, I notice with the A/C on the vent doesn't pull in air (there is a sort of suction). When I turn the A/C off, there is a suction feeling at that vent. Can you confirm? Thanks so much!!
To clarify... you are saying the flap does open when switching to outside air? (Both with and without A/C).

Just a thought, what temperature are you demanding, compared to ambient temperature?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2022, 07:16 PM   #26
22Black
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
To clarify... you are saying the flap does open when switching to outside air? (Both with and without A/C).

Just a thought, what temperature are you demanding, compared to ambient temperature?
Let me summarize and clarify:

Im seeing alot of inconsistency in the way the flap is working.

This morning, I noticed that it was opening and closing when choosing the respective functions. The only thing I noted was that if AC was on there was no 'suction' on the fresh air vent. When I turned AC off and felt the vent, I could feel some suction that it was pulling air in.

This afternoon after getting back home, I checked the flap and it was closed despite the fresh air button being 'ON'. I then played around with the settings with the car parked and struggled to get the vent back open regardless of AC being on or off.

The only thing I can think of is that I am not understanding some of the override features when the car is parked that may be keeping the flap closed like engine heat or the pollution sensor?

To answer your question, I had the temperature on 68. Ambient temp was somewhere around 65-68 here today. I also bumped up the temp to 75 and watched the vent but didn't notice it switching from closed to open based on that either.
Appreciate 1
      09-27-2022, 06:37 PM   #27
22Black
Private
Rep

HighlandPete

If you have a moment see this video, I replicated the issue and let me know your thoughts. Unless I am missing something, its not working correctly. Thanks!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kak...ew?usp=sharing
Appreciate 1
      09-28-2022, 06:12 AM   #28
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
HighlandPete

If you have a moment see this video, I replicated the issue and let me know your thoughts. Unless I am missing something, its not working correctly. Thanks!

The video certainly indicates the flap is sticking.

To me, it looks like the switching is sending a signal each time, requesting a change of flap position. Physically it doesn't, (more likely can't) make the movement. Your expression "stuck", is where I'm at as well. Whether it is the flap or the actuator that's faulty, that's the difficult bit to know from the video.

I'd be sending/taking the video to the garage and asking for comment.
Appreciate 1
22Black33.00
      09-28-2022, 10:57 AM   #29
22Black
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
The video certainly indicates the flap is sticking.

To me, it looks like the switching is sending a signal each time, requesting a change of flap position. Physically it doesn't, (more likely can't) make the movement. Your expression "stuck", is where I'm at as well. Whether it is the flap or the actuator that's faulty, that's the difficult bit to know from the video.

I'd be sending/taking the video to the garage and asking for comment.
Thanks, I am going to send it over to them. Last question. Do you have any information on any of the other factors that may effect the functionality? Last night and this morning I did a similar test and it worked flawlessly. The only difference is the ambient temperature was 58F. Im stumped.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2022, 11:51 AM   #30
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, I am going to send it over to them. Last question. Do you have any information on any of the other factors that may effect the functionality? Last night and this morning I did a similar test and it worked flawlessly. The only difference is the ambient temperature was 58F. Im stumped.
I'm stumped as well. Looks like it is an intermittent fault, some of your earlier comments on its function, also indicate that is the most likely issue. I cannot see a logical reason how a temperature in that range should be an issue for function response.

Whether it is an issue of the HVAC unit itself, being affected by temperature, (expansion/contraction?) could be a possibility.

Problem is, intermittent faults are the worst to replicate on demand.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2022, 12:44 PM   #31
Dave330d
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M340i touring

Just read this after booking my G21 into the dealer as the air conditioning was poor, very little flow out the fascia vents even at maximum fan speed and low temperature setting. Clearly this dealer wasn’t up to speed as tried to say there was nothing wrong as no fault indicated. Only after my insistence it wasn’t working correctly did they look further and found out about the flap issue. Anyway finally solved and working ok now.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2022, 08:10 PM   #32
22Black
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave330d View Post
Just read this after booking my G21 into the dealer as the air conditioning was poor, very little flow out the fascia vents even at maximum fan speed and low temperature setting. Clearly this dealer wasn’t up to speed as tried to say there was nothing wrong as no fault indicated. Only after my insistence it wasn’t working correctly did they look further and found out about the flap issue. Anyway finally solved and working ok now.
Do you know what exactly the issue was and how they fixed it? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2022, 10:52 AM   #33
Dave330d
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M340i touring

Quote:
Do you know what exactly the issue was and how they fixed it? Thanks!
Sorry but they were a rather vague about exactly what they did to the flap. They said they found a PuMA (Problem and Measures management Aftersales) from BMW about the issue .
Appreciate 1
22Black33.00
      10-01-2022, 06:54 AM   #34
sjb993
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i XDrive MHT

Maybe this might help anyone who, like me, wasn't aware of a particular AC setting.

My car had a software update earlier in the week and today was the first time I'd driven the car more than a few Miles. They warned me some of my settings may be lost.

En route we stopped at a motorway services for a coffee. The car was parked in sunshine and so was pretty warm when we got back to it. I set off driving but noticed it wasn't cooling down very much inside. The green LED on the AC switch was lit, so I assumed it would be working.

I dropped the temperature as low as it would go, but that didn't really make much difference. I played around with the various settings in the AC menu and came across "Climate Control" checkbox which wasn't ticked. Maybe the software update had cancelled that setting. Once I'd ticked that I was blasted with very cold air. 👍

Last edited by sjb993; 10-02-2022 at 02:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2023, 04:34 AM   #35
RoboPapa
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22Black View Post
HighlandPete

Hi, I have a similar problem to this.

Any chance you can post a link to this video again?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2023, 08:18 PM   #36
22Black
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboPapa View Post
Hi, I have a similar problem to this.

Any chance you can post a link to this video again?

Cheers

Whats the issue you are having? I have a lot of information.

I deleted the video but you can see the thread I recently posted on this issue:

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=30171481
Appreciate 0