Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions What did you learn or discover about your G20 3 Series recently?

04-30-2020, 12:54 PM   #199
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by hottroc View Post
Perhaps they should offer it as a low-cost option then. In Britain it rains a lot so imho it's needed, and I don't think a wiper blade is any uglier than the wiper blades on any other car that has one (which is a lot of cars). Honestly do you not want to see out the back? That's why you have a rear window.
My back window is ceramic coated so water never really gives me an issue. Even if it wasn't I've never had a problem seeing out of the back window in the rain (enough to make me want to have a rear wiper). Anyways, I guess it's just personal opinion.
      04-30-2020, 01:12 PM   #200
hottroc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

Maybe when I get my ceramic coating my problem will be solved.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 02:37 PM   #201
alpinewhite3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Currently searching

Quote:
Maybe when I get my ceramic coating my problem will be solved.

Grab this (or any ceramic spray coating) off Amazon or your local auto parts shop:

https://www.amazon.com/Turtle-Wax-53...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Get a car wash. Dry front/back windshields. Spray ceramic coating, wipe down and rub it in. Magic- watch how quickly water flies off the glass. No need for wipers.

It says it lasts up to a year but realistically have to reapply every 2-3 months to keep it effective but it does work well.
2006 E90 330i RWD
2002 E46 330i RWD
Appreciate 1
EXE462101.50
      05-01-2020, 02:06 AM   #202
hottroc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Will the ceramic coating also prevent condensation? Get that for several months of the year. I know we have heated rear screens but it takes a lot longer for those to warm up than a single swipe of a wiper blade.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 02:40 AM   #203
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
This is more a question than something I discovered, and I didn't want to start a completely new thread for this.

Has anyone noticed if the AC cuts out under acceleration when in sport+? Is this a thing? I noticed on Acura's website for the TLX (don't ask me why I was on Acura's website) it shows that under sport+ mode, the HVAC cuts off during acceleration, and I was wondering if this is a feature BMW employs as well.
Yes they do, the HVAC fan is controlled by the vehicle's logic and engine load.

Also, you'll notice if you're attempting to make or receive a phone call, the fan speed automatically varies.
Appreciate 2
wtwo318040.00
EXE462101.50
      05-01-2020, 04:59 AM   #204
NoSUV4Me
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M Sport

That there is an option to turn off AEB temporarily for particular parking manoeuvres so that it doesn't stop you from squeezing into tiny spaces.
Lifesaver! Otherwise I would be perennially stuck in my driveway never able to enter the garage...
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 06:01 AM   #205
wheeler23
2020 330i X-Drive M-sport Mineral White
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinewhite3 View Post
Mine turns off as soon as i open the door handle. (but i turn the ignition off first) Do you turn the car off and then open the door or do you open the door and then turn off the car?
I had an issue with this as I park in a garage and always leave the key in the car. My home office is just on the opposite side of the garage wall and the car would take over my cell phone during calls.... even after hours of being out of the car. What I found, and from talking to a BMW "genius" was a few things. After shutting off the car, If you touch any other button the car will stay in a standby mode. Also, if you touch any button after opening the door the car will also stay in standby mode. If you want the car to completely shutdown, after you shut it off, press and hold the media volume knob for a few seconds and the electronics will shut completely off. If you leave the car and lock it with the key fob it will also shut everything down.

Last edited by wheeler23; 05-01-2020 at 06:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 07:33 AM   #206
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 V10, BMW 330e Touring

Quote:
Perhaps they should offer it as a low-cost option then. In Britain it rains a lot so imho it's needed, and I don't think a wiper blade is any uglier than the wiper blades on any other car that has one (which is a lot of cars). Honestly do you not want to see out the back? That's why you have a rear window.
The only saloon car I remember having a rear wiper was the Peugeot 406. They made a big thing of it in the marketing at launch.

I can't say I've ever missed not having a rear wiper in any of my saloon or coupes over the years. Currently own an F30 3 Series which doesn't have a wiper, and not once have I thought, "I wish I had a rear wiper". My X5, on the other hand, does need one, and indeed DOES have one.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 09:08 AM   #207
BruceOmega
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive Sportline

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorrisContender View Post
When I finish a drive the radio keeps playing after I walk away if I don't lock the door. (330i). Anybody know how long it stays on? Do I need to lock the doors to get it to stop or will she eventually shut down?
iDrive has an option box you can check to have it turn off when you open the door. That option was not checked on mine at delivery.

IIRC, if you have a passenger in the front seat then it turns off after both doors are opened.
VipinLJ1944.50
      05-01-2020, 10:05 AM   #208
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceOmega View Post
iDrive has an option box you can check to have it turn off when you open the door. That option was not checked on mine at delivery.

IIRC, if you have a passenger in the front seat then it turns off after both doors are opened.
Yes it does. I have that option activated and mine shuts off after the last door is opened.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 11:15 AM   #209
alpinewhite3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
Yes it does. I have that option activated and mine shuts off after the last door is opened.
Yes, didn't even realize i had that option checked. That makes sense. It will still only work though if you hit the start/stop button before opening door. (if you open the door and then hit the start/stop button- music will continue to play despite the car being turned off and door being opened- odd quirk )
2006 E90 330i RWD
2002 E46 330i RWD
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 12:09 PM   #210
hottroc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofomat View Post
I can't say I've ever missed not having a rear wiper in any of my saloon or coupes over the years. Currently own an F30 3 Series which doesn't have a wiper, and not once have I thought, "I wish I had a rear wiper".
Serious question then...how do you back out of your drive when the rear is all condensed up early in the mornings?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 12:38 PM   #211
Tam the Bam
Grumpy Old Git
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i RWD M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Serious question then...how do you back out of your drive when the rear is all condensed up early in the mornings?
I reverse park in my drive and then it’s not a problem.

F10 520D M Sport
E60 520D SE
Volvo S60 type R
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 12:57 PM   #212
alpinewhite3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I reverse park as well. Who's not reversing in? You could also carry a hand held squeegee and leave it in the car..quick 5 second wipe down.
2006 E90 330i RWD
2002 E46 330i RWD
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 01:07 PM   #213
hottroc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I reverse park as well. Who's not reversing in? You could also carry a hand held squeegee and leave it in the car..quick 5 second wipe down.
Would be 0.5 seconds if you had a rear wiper, and you wouldn't have to muck about in the cold. Maybe you like parking that way, (I don't, it's easier and quicker to drive in and back out, you're then backing into a large space instead of a small one),...or maybe you're parking that way to overcome a deficiency, ie lack of rear wiper. Each to their own but I'd prefer to have one and think it should at least be an option. I didn't even realise cars were built without one these days. Btw, what do you do if you're driving along and it's snowing and you get some snowflakes on your rear window?

[EDIT - just to add, "Who's not reversing in?", I just checked in my street of about 100 houses, I'd estimate 85-90% of cars are NOT reversing into their drives]

Last edited by hottroc; 05-01-2020 at 01:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 01:48 PM   #214
Tam the Bam
Grumpy Old Git
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i RWD M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Btw, what do you do if you're driving along and it's snowing and you get some snowflakes on your rear window?
]
Heated rear window and heated side mirrors seem to be ok for me in this case.

F10 520D M Sport
E60 520D SE
Volvo S60 type R
Appreciate 1
      05-01-2020, 01:59 PM   #215
Karl V
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Sideways

Quote:
The only saloon car I remember having a rear wiper was the Peugeot 406. They made a big thing of it in the marketing at launch.
I remember that too, along with the Orions. It was the Scooby that always surprised me. From what I remember, the wiper spindle went right through the glass so that the boot could open.

A constant source of leakage and condensation on the inside of the car.

Tragic :-(

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 2613
Size:  143.1 KB
mofomat791.50
      05-01-2020, 02:07 PM   #216
NorrisContender
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2001 3.0 Z3, 2019 330i

Quote:
Yes, didn't even realize i had that option checked. That makes sense. It will still only work though if you hit the start/stop button before opening door. (if you open the door and then hit the start/stop button- music will continue to play despite the car being turned off and door being opened- odd quirk )
Thanks, I'll look for this setting. It is CarPlay that keeps playing after I walk away but maybe Sirius as well. I appreciate the replies.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2020, 12:57 PM   #217
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I wouldn't back out of my drive.

If I had to though I would use the two side mirrors combined with the parking sensor, the same way I would reverse if I was driving a van. A rear-view mirror is not even compulsory. You just have to have at least two mirrors which face rearwards, so the two side mirrors suffice.

Quote:
Maybe you like parking that way, (I don't, it's easier and quicker to drive in and back out, you're then backing into a large space instead of a small one)
That's actually the wrong way to do it. You should always reverse into a space (or drive), for two reasons. It's easier to maneouvre the car, turning the front wheels as you reverse (as it was when trying to parallel park. The number of people who drive into a space...). And secondly there is more risk when reversing out of a drive/space into the traffic flow than driving out forwards. The UK Highway Code specifically says you shouldn't reverse out of a drive (rule 201).

https://www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk/usin...reversing.html

Quote:
I didn't even realise cars were built without one these days. Btw, what do you do if you're driving along and it's snowing and you get some snowflakes on your rear window?
Do you not think if there was this overwhelming demand for rear wipers on saloons the manufacturers would be fitting them? As for snowflakes...I can't remember the last time it snowed. Seriously, there are many vehicles on the road that manage perfectly fine without ANY visibility from a rear view mirror, such as HGVs and vans, so I'm sure people can cope in their saloons when it rains or snows a bit.

Quote:
[EDIT - just to add, "Who's not reversing in?", I just checked in my street of about 100 houses, I'd estimate 85-90% of cars are NOT reversing into their drives]
Yes, but from my casual observations, 85-90% of people on the road can't drive, so I'd say your findings are about right.

Anyway, I get that it's something you miss, but I can't help you except to point out that you appear to be in the minority.
Appreciate 3
EXE462101.50
MBM3401026.00
      05-02-2020, 02:05 PM   #218
hottroc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I wouldn't back out of my drive.

If I had to though I would use the two side mirrors combined with the parking sensor, the same way I would reverse if I was driving a van. A rear-view mirror is not even compulsory.
That's what I call a workaround.

Quote:
That's actually the wrong way to do it. You should always reverse into a space (or drive), for two reasons. It's easier to maneouvre the car, turning the front wheels as you reverse (as it was when trying to parallel park.
Don't agree. I find it easier to drive forwards.

Quote:
And secondly there is more risk when reversing out of a drive/space into the traffic flow than driving out forwards.
Well there's not much traffic flow in my road, but if there was then I'd probably agree with you except that if that were the case then when you were parking you have to stop, hope that the guy behind you left you some space, and reverse against the flow of traffic holding the other road users up.

Quote:
The UK Highway Code specifically says you shouldn't reverse out of a drive (rule 201).

https://www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk/usin...reversing.html
Interesting, not seen that before though it appears to be specifically talking about onto a main road, I'd like to see the copper who stops you reversing out of your drive in a quiet residential street. Also if you're quoting the Highway Code then I guess you never speed, right?

Quote:
As for snowflakes...I can't remember the last time it snowed.
Oh, I can. Can you remember the last time it was foggy? Yet you get fog lights.

Quote:
Seriously, there are many vehicles on the road that manage perfectly fine without ANY visibility from a rear view mirror, such as HGVs and vans, so I'm sure people can cope in their saloons when it rains or snows a bit.
Oh I agree, I can easily cope. I could also cope without a radio. I could cope without headrests, cup holders etc. There are many cars in the world without electric windows etc etc..

Quote:
Yes, but from my casual observations, 85-90% of people on the road can't drive, so I'd say your findings are about right.
No argument from me on this. That's generally what people say about BMW drivers though

Quote:
Anyway, I get that it's something you miss, but I can't help you except to point out that you appear to be in the minority.
Well I'm in the minority in this board amongst BMW drivers who don't want to hear a bad thing said about the car. And honestly I love the car, it's brilliant, with many fantastic and surprising features. But you're right, when I was backing out of my drive the other day without being able to see out the back cos of the rain I did miss the rear wiper. I'll get over it though.
Appreciate 1
      05-03-2020, 02:51 AM   #219
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
That's what I call a workaround.
It's not a workaround. A workaround is having something on the car, but you have to operate it differently because it doesn't work is it should. An example being the radar cruise control on Audis. I find it is too sensitive when pulling out to overtake HGVs in lane 1 and will frequently "catch" the back end and apply the brakes. A workaround is to manually disengage the radar cruise when approaching a HGV and then reactivating it once passed.

The 3 Series comes as it is and I decide whether to buy it or not. If we take your attitude then there are hundreds of workarounds on EVERY car. It's like saying having my wife give me a massage whilst I'm driving is a workaround to not being able to spec massaging seats.

Quote:
Interesting, not seen that before though it appears to be specifically talking about onto a main road, I'd like to see the copper who stops you reversing out of your drive in a quiet residential street. Also if you're quoting the Highway Code then I guess you never speed, right?
There are two sentences. You clearly stopped reading at the end of the first sentence. I'll quote it for you:

"When using a driveway, reverse in and drive out if you can."

Of course I speed, but when I do I'm doing it under the full knowledge that I shouldn't and what the penalties are if I do. Until yesterday you were reversing out of your drive not even aware of what the Highway Code says. You'll continue to reverse out of your drive. It's not a big deal. The Highway Code is just a guide to "good practice" for the benefit of all road users.

Quote:
Oh, I can. Can you remember the last time it was foggy? Yet you get fog lights.
But rear fog lights are mandatory by law. Rear wipers aren't. You can think they should be mandatory, but the simple fact is, people are not crying out for rear wipers on saloons!

Quote:
Oh I agree, I can easily cope. I could also cope without a radio. I could cope without headrests, cup holders etc. There are many cars in the world without electric windows etc etc..
I'm sure there are many people who wouldn't purchase a car without any of the features you mention. There are not so many who would even notice their saloon car doesn't have a rear wiper.

As for electric windows, I can't think of a single new car on sale in the UK that doesn't have electric windows as standard. Maybe there is one or two.

Quote:
Well I'm in the minority in this board amongst BMW drivers who don't want to hear a bad thing said about the car. And honestly I love the car, it's brilliant, with many fantastic and surprising features. But you're right, when I was backing out of my drive the other day without being able to see out the back cos of the rain I did miss the rear wiper. I'll get over it though.
I'm more than happy to say there are things I don't like about my two BMWs. In fact, there are more things I don't like about my NEWER X5 than the 318i, such as the new LIVE COCKPIT. So it's not about defending BMW at all. I'm simply pointing out that you're in the minority regarding the rear wiper on a saloon.

Last edited by mofomat; 05-03-2020 at 03:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2020, 04:53 AM   #220
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 840 M Sport Gran Coupe

I park front first just so I can use reverse assist on the way out.

If nothing else it freaks my mum out when I reverse while waving my hands out the window.
Appreciate 0