Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics HUD Blanked Out

07-15-2020, 03:51 PM   #1
Beembar51
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 X1

Exclamation HUD Blanked Out

Went out to do some errands. HUD was perfectly fine. All info was displayed, speed, nav, speed limit, cruise, etc. Stopped, turned off the car, went into the store. Came back out, started the car, started driving, no info in the display except for navigation. I tried turning the car off and starting it again a few times. This had cleared up a couple of rare glitches previously. No luck. Drove home and the nav map was displayed, but nothing else. Huh? Any ideas, similar experiences, potential solutions? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 07:11 PM   #2
RedKloud
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beembar51 View Post
Went out to do some errands. HUD was perfectly fine. All info was displayed, speed, nav, speed limit, cruise, etc. Stopped, turned off the car, went into the store. Came back out, started the car, started driving, no info in the display except for navigation. I tried turning the car off and starting it again a few times. This had cleared up a couple of rare glitches previously. No luck. Drove home and the nav map was displayed, but nothing else. Huh? Any ideas, similar experiences, potential solutions? Thanks
Happened to me once... both HUD and the map display were gone, but came back after I turned off the car and restarted it.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 08:12 PM   #3
NYC_340i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M340i xDrive, '11 X3 28i

A similar thing happened to me about 3 or so times in the 8 months I had my car.

Interestingly, every time it did happen it was right after filling up with gas. I would start the car and the HUD will be off, the center of the instrument cluster will be black (normally I have the assisted driving view there) and I can't show other things with the BC button other than the the screen where it shows I am in D. Every time though pressing and holding the volume knob until iDrive reboots will fix the issue. On 7/2019.55 btw

Here is a pic I forgot I had from a while back when it first happened.

Current: 2020 M340xi
Previous: 2016 340xi
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 05:31 PM   #4
Beembar51
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 X1

It’s back!!

Thanks for the responses. After letting the car rest overnight I restarted this afternoon and POOF the display was as before. Another ghost in the machine.
Appreciate 0