Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics Live Cockpit Plus vs. Pro iDrive Display

07-14-2020, 09:00 AM   #1
LMK5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 330i Imperial Bloo

Live Cockpit Plus vs. Pro iDrive Display

I was looking at 2020 330i models and I think I like the standard instrument cluster of Live Cockpit Plus rather than the digital Live Cockpit Pro. But I also saw that the iDrive screen is noticeably smaller when choosing Live Cockpit Plus. It also uses iDrive 6.0 instead of 7.0.

What are the major differences between iDrive 6.0 and 7.0?

Is the resolution and sharpness of the smaller (8.8") iDrive display the same as the larger (10.25") display of Pro?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 11:20 AM   #2
PauloBairn
Enlisted Member
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 320d Sport

I have the ID6 and live cockpit plus in my 2019 Sport but I thoght all new production models were now being shipped with ID7. I can only comment from my perspective but it would appear that ID6 is being left behind. BMW have told me I wont get OTA updates, no Android Auto (you may be lucky that 2020 ships with it pre installed) or camera recorder. The screen resolution is razor sharp and I'm sure someone will come along with some facts and figures. ID6 is adequate for my needs but I guess what I am saying is, if technology is your bag you need ID7 to keep up with whatever BMW decide to release in the future.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 11:34 AM   #3
LMK5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 330i Imperial Bloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PauloBairn View Post
I have the ID6 and live cockpit plus in my 2019 Sport but I thoght all new production models were now being shipped with ID7. I can only comment from my perspective but it would appear that ID6 is being left behind. BMW have told me I wont get OTA updates, no Android Auto (you may be lucky that 2020 ships with it pre installed) or camera recorder. The screen resolution is razor sharp and I'm sure someone will come along with some facts and figures. ID6 is adequate for my needs but I guess what I am saying is, if technology is your bag you need ID7 to keep up with whatever BMW decide to release in the future.
2020 3-series without Live Cockpit Pro get ID6. There is no Android Auto, only Apple CarPlay with BMW.

I'm mainly concerned with the display sharpness with Live Cockpit Plus vs. my 2017. Glad you think it's sharp. It's just a little disappointing that the large display area doesn't get used unless you have Pro.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 12:39 PM   #4
PauloBairn
Enlisted Member
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 320d Sport

I have given you my tuppence worth but think the only way you can satisfy yourself for sure is to visit a dealer and compare and contrast both systems - your point re AA, it is on its way to a BMW near you this month (as long as you have ID7).
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 01:32 PM   #5
FrostNixon
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: vw golf

Here the infotainment screen and cockpit screen go in one option, so if you go for a smaller one it feels terrible because it truly looks ugly to me, however in terms of functionality I don't think you are missing anything, apart from Android auto.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 03:07 AM   #6
juanmad
Private
Rep
Drives: G20

Any idea if it can be updated to iDrive 7? I bought a g20 but the only one available to sell in my country is the live cockpit plus with the analog cluster g20..

I am wondering if it can be changed.. I've seen that people are already selling digital clusters and the bigger screen for the g20 on ebay, however I am not sure if it will work or there is something else that's needed, apart from coding of course.. I'm going to try it anyways, I have no coding experience but what the heck, I want iDrive 7, I am just waiting for my cable to arrive so I can start coding some stuff and eventually will try to get the digital cluster working in my car. Further, I really want android auto.

PD: I found that the live cockpit head unit is also sold on ebay, it would be cool to try that upgrade..

I guess this is what I need, it would be like installing those nbt evo on f30's, right?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-G20-G21...IAAOSw9~NezK3I

Last edited by juanmad; 07-15-2020 at 03:13 AM.. Reason: forgot something
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 03:23 AM   #7
juanmad
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMK5 View Post
I was looking at 2020 330i models and I think I like the standard instrument cluster of Live Cockpit Plus rather than the digital Live Cockpit Pro. But I also saw that the iDrive screen is noticeably smaller when choosing Live Cockpit Plus. It also uses iDrive 6.0 instead of 7.0.

Is the resolution and sharpness of the smaller (8.8") iDrive display the same as the larger (10.25") display of Pro?
I guess you could retrofit a iDrive 7 head unit, they are sold on ebay.. I bought one with the smaller screen and iDrive 6 but unfortunately it is the ony one sold in my country so far, got it on october 2019.

I really want to see someone retrofitting one in a g20, someone needs to do a video on that

This is the head unit, I guess this is what you'd need, like those nbe evo retrofit that people do on their f30s

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-G20-G21...IAAOSw9~NezK3I
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 11:27 PM   #8
juanmad
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMK5 View Post

This is how live cockpit plus looks like, my car has it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
VipinLJ1941.50
      07-19-2020, 09:09 AM   #9
phillyd2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i XDrive

Hard to believe anyone would not get 7 but each their own. Get whichever you like best.
Appreciate 0