Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics Fan whirring noise behind dash

07-28-2020, 08:03 AM   #1
bquatt
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 330xi m-sport

Fan whirring noise behind dash

Has anyone else noticed an occasional fan whirring from behind the dash, when the AC is off? I haven’t noticed it yet until today - I assume it’s related to the iDrive computers but just want to be sure this is normal. It’s been consistently in the 90s for the past week so that could be a reason for it..
Appreciate 2
      07-28-2020, 11:14 PM   #2
exhibhooligan
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 430i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bquatt View Post
Has anyone else noticed an occasional fan whirring from behind the dash, when the AC is off? I haven’t noticed it yet until today - I assume it’s related to the iDrive computers but just want to be sure this is normal. It’s been consistently in the 90s for the past week so that could be a reason for it..
It is the iDrive fans. When I was installing a software update the other day it was very noticeable when the fans kicked on. The car was off and you could clearly tell it was the fans turning on to cool what I'm assuming were iDrive components. Software updates probably create excess heat.

I'm also assuming that on a hot day the fans turn on as well but we just can't hear them because of the engine running or the AC on.
Appreciate 2