Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK 20% Price Rise!

03-19-2024, 11:21 AM   #1
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M440i Convertible

20% Price Rise!

Purely out of interest, as I've no intention of buying another one, I priced up the latest M440i convertible on the configurator and the nearest spec to mine is coming in it £77k, compared with the pre-discount price of £65k for mine.

No doubt they'll blame cost of living, Ukraine, Gaza and the disappointing 2023 olive harvest, but that seems a hell of a hike to me.

They're even asking £1600 for 19" wheels, which used to be standard.

So glad I scratched the itch when I did, as that's crazy money IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 11:27 AM   #2
alFR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 Series

Just had a look at 3 series, bit more expensive but far less increase than that compared to when I got mine last year. Wonder why the 4 has got hit more?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 09:37 AM   #3
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M440i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedsRedBaby View Post
Purely out of interest, as I've no intention of buying another one, I priced up the latest M440i convertible on the configurator and the nearest spec to mine is coming in it £77k, compared with the pre-discount price of £65k for mine.

No doubt they'll blame cost of living, Ukraine, Gaza and the disappointing 2023 olive harvest, but that seems a hell of a hike to me.

They're even asking £1600 for 19" wheels, which used to be standard.

So glad I scratched the itch when I did, as that's crazy money IMHO.
Me too! Like you I'm definitely keeping mine too!
I also 'built a car' on the configurator to the same spec as mine or as close to as possible and it came out about £75k, over ten grand up from 18 months ago.....not a snowball in hell's chance!

Called in at my dealer today re a potential warranty claim and they had an M3 Touring in the showroom, didn't have a whole host of extras from what I could see and yet it still had an eye-watering price tag of just under £84k...
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 10:29 AM   #4
Jonnyr7
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M340i touring

they are trying quite hard to shift the M3 Touring stock, the dealer I got my M340i from has been in touch

still looking at £10k deposit and £900 a month though. thats quite a lot of cash....
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 10:41 AM   #5
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnyr7 View Post
they are trying quite hard to shift the M3 Touring stock, the dealer I got my M340i from has been in touch

still looking at £10k deposit and £900 a month though. thats quite a lot of cash....
Ouch!...That is a hefty outlay.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 10:59 AM   #6
srbs73
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 M50

The combination of crazy APR and increased prices drove me to look at my employers salary sacrifice scheme. It was they only way I could swap out the M340i Touring for something similar.

I got the i4 M50 for the same monthly outlay as I had for the M340i back in 2020 and this includes the maintenance, tyres and insurance. Last one being a big factor after seeing the recent hikes.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 11:03 AM   #7
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by srbs73 View Post
The combination of crazy APR and increased prices drove me to look at my employers salary sacrifice scheme. It was they only way I could swap out the M340i Touring for something similar.

I got the i4 M50 for the same monthly outlay as I had for the M340i back in 2020 and this includes the maintenance, tyres and insurance. Last one being a big factor after seeing the recent hikes.
You've done really well there, especially with regard to insurance!
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2024, 03:59 AM   #8
thescouselander
Captain
Rep
Drives: G20 330i

Yeah, I posted about this a little while back. I've had the dealer on at me to swap to a fairly standard 320 from my speced up 330 for £10k down and the same monthly payments. I pointed out to them it's a truly bonkers world where this would make any sense.

Still, BMWs sales are said to be strong so I do wonder who's buying at these prices.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2024, 10:34 AM   #9
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmnut View Post
Like you I'm definitely keeping mine too
I'm actually planning to ditch it at the first opportunity. I don't know if it's the state of the roads, the crappy Eagle F1s or just poor build quality but I seem to spend as much time getting the wheels and tyres balanced/realigned/replaced as I do driving it.

Maybe that's why the standard wheels are now 18".
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2024, 04:27 PM   #10
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I'm actually planning to ditch it at the first opportunity. I don't know if it's the state of the roads, the crappy Eagle F1s or just poor build quality but I seem to spend as much time getting the wheels and tyres balanced/realigned/replaced as I do driving it.

Maybe that's why the standard wheels are now 18".
That’s a shame for such a nice car. I’ve had two G22 M440is now, the first had Bridgestone Turanzas on it. Typical Bridgestones, not the best as others have experienced, but no balance or realignment issues and certainly robust enough sidewalls to shrug off all but the deepest potholes.

The second, my current car, has Pirelli P Zeros on it and so far after 15k miles no problems and I’ve clouted a few potholes unfortunately.

Maybe switch the tyres out for P Zeros before making any hard and fast decision to ditch the car?
Appreciate 2
      03-23-2024, 07:17 PM   #11
The_Tok'Ra
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 325ti Compact Sport, G21 M340i

Quote:
That’s a shame for such a nice car. I’ve had two G22 M440is now, the first had Bridgestone Turanzas on it. Typical Bridgestones, not the best as others have experienced, but no balance or realignment issues and certainly robust enough sidewalls to shrug off all but the deepest potholes.

The second, my current car, has Pirelli P Zeros on it and so far after 15k miles no problems and I’ve clouted a few potholes unfortunately.

Maybe switch the tyres out for P Zeros before making any hard and fast decision to ditch the car?
Yup! Don't ditch the car so readily just because of the tyres. I have F1's on my car too, and I'm less than impresed with them, but that's no reason to give up on th car. Get PS4S's and you will be a happy man. That's my plan when I need new tyres.
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2024, 12:20 PM   #12
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Tok'Ra View Post
Get PS4S's and you will be a happy man. That's my plan when I need new tyres.
Thanks for the suggestions, although I'm not sure I want to shell out the thick end of £1k in the hope it stops things getting out of kilter all the time. Three of the four tyres have done less than 1500 miles due to being recent replacements.

There are other reasons to ditch the car, like it costing over £1k/month to do less than 500 miles at the moment, but I'm stuck with it until at least October so I'll see if my view changes over the next few months.
Appreciate 1
bmnut813.50
      03-25-2024, 01:47 PM   #13
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions, although I'm not sure I want to shell out the thick end of £1k in the hope it stops things getting out of kilter all the time. Three of the four tyres have done less than 1500 miles due to being recent replacements.

There are other reasons to ditch the car, like it costing over £1k/month to do less than 500 miles at the moment, but I'm stuck with it until at least October so I'll see if my view changes over the next few months.
Obviously the tyres have been a major factor for you during your period of ownership and I can understand that, I also appreciate what you say about the cost of ownership against how often you use it, but out of curiosity are there any other issues with the car that has soured your ownership experience?
Appreciate 1
      03-26-2024, 03:08 PM   #14
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Obviously the tyres have been a major factor for you during your period of ownership and I can understand that, I also appreciate what you say about the cost of ownership against how often you use it, but out of curiosity are there any other issues with the car that has soured your ownership experience?
Well the wind deflector broke - I've heard of others with this problem - and I had to shell out over £400 for a new one. It also needed a new front diff which involved numerous visits to the dealer before it got sorted.

But it's mostly the fact I seem to spend more time getting the wheels and steering fixed than actually driving it. I've just been to Sheffield and back (around 200 miles) and it was awful to drive. Constant shaking through the steering wheel, like driving on small cobbles. Shouldn't be wheel balance as they were only done last week so maybe something else is knackered.

It's going in for yet another wheel alignment next week so I'll ask them to check everything else and keep my fingers crossed it isn't anything expensive.

I suspect the fundamental issue is that firm suspension and low profile tyres are not suited to a 4-seater soft-top. Most of my previous verts were either 2 seater or tin-top, whereas this is a large car effectively being driven with no roof the whole time and I think the car just gradually shakes itself to bits. I had similar issues with an E-Class 10 or 12 years ago so I should have learnt the lesson really.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2024, 09:56 AM   #15
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Sorry to hear you’ve had so many issues with your car you really do sound as though you’ve been unlucky with this one.
You could be right about such a big, heavy car and the NVH issues. Memories of the dreaded old scuttle shake come flooding back.
I wonder how owners of the 8 series convertibles find their vehicles ride and handle?
Hope you get some positive news when your car goes in again next time!
Appreciate 1
      03-27-2024, 11:42 AM   #16
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Hope you get some positive news when your car goes in again next time!
Thanks, I'll keep you posted.

Could I also ask what pressure you have your tyres please? Mine recommends around 40psi "Partially loaded comfort", increasing with temperature to low to mid 40s. I wonder if that's part of the problem as I'm sure my last few cars were low 30s on the comfort setting.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2024, 12:53 PM   #17
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Always set mine ‘cold’ at 39psi all round and the tyre pressure monitor screen tends to agree with fluctuations in pressure due to temperatures.
Have done that from new with both G22s I’ve owned and with the current car after 15k miles the tyre wear is remarkably even across the tread about 5mm or thereabouts.
Appreciate 1
      03-27-2024, 01:43 PM   #18
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Always set mine ‘cold’ at 39psi all round and the tyre pressure monitor screen tends to agree with fluctuations in pressure due to temperatures.
Have done that from new with both G22s I’ve owned and with the current car after 15k miles the tyre wear is remarkably even across the tread about 5mm or thereabouts.
Thanks, about the same then, so that's not the problem.
Appreciate 1
bmnut813.50
      03-28-2024, 07:02 AM   #19
White91
Private
Rep
Drives: 330d

Quote:

I have similar running costs, I am thinking get my money out, invest it and get a Lotus Eletre on salary sacrifice for similar money
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2024, 08:40 AM   #20
srbs73
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by White91 View Post
I have similar running costs, I am thinking get my money out, invest it and get a Lotus Eletre on salary sacrifice for similar money
I would recommend checking out the customer feedback. A friend had one on order last year and pulled the plug and went for i5 M60.
Appreciate 0