Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK BMW Advanced Car Eye 3.0 Pro

10-26-2023, 10:28 AM   #111
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M440i xDrive

Quick question.....
....does the rear camera on the Pro version record 'Parking' events like the front camera does?

I only ask because it clearly has a motion sensor built-in just like the front camera as the white LED activates and starts to flash (the same as the front does) when it detects movement. Just noticed this the other day when my car was parked in the garage.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2023, 01:43 AM   #112
xDrive320D
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d M-Sport Touring xDriv

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmnut View Post
Quick question.....
....does the rear camera on the Pro version record 'Parking' events like the front camera does?

I only ask because it clearly has a motion sensor built-in just like the front camera as the white LED activates and starts to flash (the same as the front does) when it detects movement. Just noticed this the other day when my car was parked in the garage.
I have no idea really lol Parking mode seems strange to me, if I park at the side of the road for a few hours it will say shock and radar detected..

I can understand the radar side, people and cars going by, but how does shock work

I suspect the radar is front only but once the front camera powers on the rear does too... may ask the question to support,
      10-27-2023, 02:02 AM   #113
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrive320D View Post
I have no idea really lol Parking mode seems strange to me, if I park at the side of the road for a few hours it will say shock and radar detected..

I can understand the radar side, people and cars going by, but how does shock work

I suspect the radar is front only but once the front camera powers on the rear does too... may ask the question to support,
Thanks for the reply. It made me wonder as I couldn’t find any recorded video files for the rear camera in parking mode.
The shock events it records I think are down to doors and or boot being closed during the couple of minutes entry and exit time delays.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2023, 02:19 AM   #114
xDrive320D
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. It made me wonder as I couldn’t find any recorded video files for the rear camera in parking mode.
The shock events it records I think are down to doors and or boot being closed during the couple of minutes entry and exit time delays.
If I park for a couple of hours I can get 30-40 shock related events
      10-27-2023, 06:19 AM   #115
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
If I park for a couple of hours I can get 30-40 shock related events
That doesn't make sense to me either?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2023, 06:23 AM   #116
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

The rear camera's motion sensor on mine can be triggered independently and not just in conjunction with the front camera.
My car is reversed into my garage and it's the rear that gets triggered when I step into the garage from our utility room so that's what has me confused.
I agree it would be interesting to hear Connected Drive people's take on all this?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2023, 01:46 AM   #117
xDrive320D
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

I drive mine into the garage and it does the same, so no idea what triggers it when nobody goes in lol

I will email the camera support team and ask if both cameras have sensors, I know the Thinkware unit it is based on does front and rear..

I am also interested to find out what triggers "shock" when its parked outside .. as I say radar I can understand
      10-30-2023, 02:29 PM   #118
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I drive mine into the garage and it does the same, so no idea what triggers it when nobody goes in lol

I will email the camera support team and ask if both cameras have sensors, I know the Thinkware unit it is based on does front and rear..

I am also interested to find out what triggers "shock" when its parked outside .. as I say radar I can understand
I would be very interested in what they have to say!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2023, 11:01 AM   #119
Yossi123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330xi G21

Does anyone know how hard it is to detach the ACE 3.0 pro front camera mount from the windshield? I'd like to move my camera a little bit to the side but I don't know how difficult it is to remove and what type of adhesive tape is safe and strong enough to use.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2023, 02:29 PM   #120
xDrive320D
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossi123 View Post
Does anyone know how hard it is to detach the ACE 3.0 pro front camera mount from the windshield? I'd like to move my camera a little bit to the side but I don't know how difficult it is to remove and what type of adhesive tape is safe and strong enough to use.
You can get new pads from a dealer

6621 5 A44 4A1 cost about £5.04 plus VAT
      11-08-2023, 04:46 AM   #121
xDrive320D
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Reply from ACE Support

Hello,

both the front- and the rear camera have a radar installed. The G-Sensor is sitting in the front camera only.

Please make sure you have the latest firmware installed. To do so please connect your smartphone with the ACE3.0. If an update is available the app will prompt you to install it.

Thank you and best regards,

Your ACE 3.0 support team.

Hello,

the latest Firmware version is V1.17.00

11-08-2023, 05:34 AM   #122
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Reply from ACE Support

Hello,

both the front- and the rear camera have a radar installed. The G-Sensor is sitting in the front camera only.

Please make sure you have the latest firmware installed. To do so please connect your smartphone with the ACE3.0. If an update is available the app will prompt you to install it.

Hello,

the latest Firmware version is V1.17.00

That now explains why the (barely visible due to the darkened privacy glass on my rear window) white coloured LED, the same as the one in the front camera, comes on and off as it detects movement at the rear of the car.
Thank you 'xdrive320d' for taking the time to find that out, much appreciated.

I've now got into the habit of powering down the cameras on our cars whilst they are parked in the garage these days as sometimes either or both cars can be stationary and unused for a few days at a time.

It just saves a long list of 'recorded events' to have to trawl through if I want to find anything in particular due to us being in and out of the garage all the time.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2023, 05:47 AM   #123
xDrive320D
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

No problem

Mine is garaged all week and it appears that it turns off itself after 24 hours
      11-08-2023, 06:00 AM   #124
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
No problem

Mine is garaged all week and it appears that it turns off itself after 24 hours
That's interesting when you say turns itself off after 24hours. I'll try that out. I get what you mean and I'm sure we're correct in thinking that it goes into 'sleep' mode if there is no movement to detect but I'm guessing would 'wake up' and record if there was movement otherwise it would defeat the object of having the passive sensor's use.
The problem I would have is we are in and out of the garage on a regular basis for access to the rear of our property and things like the freezer (and my booze fridge!) so the cameras would just keep waking up or never going to sleep anyway!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2023, 06:06 AM   #125
xDrive320D
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

I lock it away say 10pm Sunday night, if I check the recordings the following week the last recording will be 10PM Monday.. no idea why mine triggers when it is a detached garage and nobody goes in.. lol
      11-08-2023, 06:14 AM   #126
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I lock it away say 10pm Sunday night, if I check the recordings the following week the last recording will be 10PM Monday.. no idea why mine triggers when it is a detached garage and nobody goes in.. lol
Boris the spider's coming out party? As the TV advert from years ago quoted!

G shock events I reckon are down to the doors or boot being shut and motion events walking away from and towards or around the car.

I think I've given up on trying to analyse its microchip powered brain now! So long as it 'does what it says on the tin' when it needs to then I'll go with that!
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2023, 05:54 AM   #127
LimavadyG21
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G21 320i M Sport

Left my G21 LCI at the dealers this morning, to get the pro front and rear cameras installed.

Will be checking all the internal trim with high levels of OCD when I get the call to pick the car up later 😅
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2023, 08:52 AM   #128
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimavadyG21 View Post
Left my G21 LCI at the dealers this morning, to get the pro front and rear cameras installed.

Will be checking all the internal trim with high levels of OCD when I get the call to pick the car up later 😅
When my local dealer fitted mine he went along door sills and side trims and nowhere near the headlining I was led to believe was the 'recommended routing' for the cabling.
Have to say he did an absolutely first class job and didn't give me any 'free of charge' squeaks and rattles either!

Fingers crossed you're happy with your install.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2023, 09:03 AM   #129
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

How did your install go? Are you happy with the work?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2023, 04:31 PM   #130
LimavadyG21
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G21 320i M Sport

Quote:
How did your install go? Are you happy with the work?
Oops , Forgot to update 😬 😅

Couldn't be happier with the install , and the cameras!!

I got a good rummage, at the weekend, along every bit of trim inside the car, and there's absolutely no sign that any of it had even been touched 👍

No loose trim , no marks , no squeaks 👍

Only took me half an hour to get my head around the camera , and the app , and am really happy I chose to go with the OEM ( kind of 😅 ) route.

Will get some pics posted of the install later this week.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2023, 03:39 AM   #131
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Oops , Forgot to update 😬 😅

Couldn't be happier with the install , and the cameras!!

I got a good rummage, at the weekend, along every bit of trim inside the car, and there's absolutely no sign that any of it had even been touched 👍

No loose trim , no marks , no squeaks 👍

Only took me half an hour to get my head around the camera , and the app , and am really happy I chose to go with the OEM ( kind of 😅 ) route.

Will get some pics posted of the install later this week.
That's good to hear LimavadyG21. Sounds like your installer has done just as good a job as mine!
I think once the dealers have done a few they seem pretty competent at fitting. I actually had my G22 done as well as my wife's F22 which also was returned to her without any squeaks creaks or rattles!
The only difference the technician made with hers was to put the rear camera on the nearside of centre as opposed to mine on the offside of centre simply because he routed the cabling along the side of the car according to where the fuse box connections are as he personally likes to see as little cable as possible showing where the plug connection is to the rear camera which can only be one side due to design.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2023, 08:24 AM   #132
Bri888
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 430d

Considering the ACE 3 soon. Has anyone considered what happens when time to change the car? Can it be swapped out easily enough?
Appreciate 0