Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions G26 4 Series Gran Coupe Spied!

09-03-2019, 10:49 AM   #67
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 Avant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTO24 View Post
I've never been a fan of the 4er GC. To me, the A5 sportback looks much better/coherent/sleek.

I'm not a fan of how BMW seems to be butchering the Hoffmeister kink these days it makes the C-pillar look too chunky and awkward. which doesn't help the already awkward roofline of the 4er GC. YMMV.
True for the first generation A5 (8T). It had great exterior but very outdated interior.
The second (current) gen has great interior (significantly better than F36, especially if without the individual package), but the exterior design is crap IMO.
One of the reasons (although not the primary) I went for F36, while I initially wanted A5/S5 .

I am generally an Audi fan, but in that particular class BMW 4 is simply superior as an overall package (if configured properly).
I was considering an A5 Sportback before I got my F36. That's was until I drove the Audi.
      09-03-2019, 10:56 AM   #68
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

Almost the same for me.
Test-drove the current A5 several times (both the Coupe and the Sportback). It wasn't bad at all, loved the interior and technology.... but then I drove an F36 .... and shockingly for me at the time, that gave me something to really think about!
It was a 428i GC.
      09-03-2019, 11:03 AM   #69
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTO24 View Post
I've never been a fan of the 4er GC. To me, the A5 sportback looks much better/coherent/sleek.

I'm not a fan of how BMW seems to be butchering the Hoffmeister kink these days it makes the C-pillar look too chunky and awkward. which doesn't help the already awkward roofline of the 4er GC. YMMV.
True for the first generation A5 (8T). It had great exterior but very outdated interior.
The second (current) gen has great interior (significantly better than F36, especially if without the individual package), but the exterior design is crap IMO.
One of the reasons (although not the primary) I went for F36, while I initially wanted A5/S5 .

I am generally an Audi fan, but in that particular class BMW 4 is simply superior as an overall package (if configured properly).
I was considering an A5 Sportback before I got my F36. That's was until I drove the Audi.
      09-03-2019, 11:31 AM   #70
BimmerBoomer
demoted
Rep
Drives: 2022 Audi S5 Sportback

not sure what you get in the UK, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TodmordenLad View Post
In Canada the 440i GC is xDrive only. The lack of a proper sports suspension, no LSD and run-flat tires makes the handling of the GC very compromised compared to an S5.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 11:58 AM   #71
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerBoomer View Post
Quote:
In Canada the 440i GC is xDrive only. The lack of a proper sports suspension, no LSD and run-flat tires makes the handling of the GC very compromised compared to an S5.
I drove the 2litre petrol AWD version of the A5 and it was utterly bland to drive. Haven't driven the S5. Discounts on Audi in the UK are poor compared to BMW. I didn't bother going further up the model chain based on cost.
      09-03-2019, 12:25 PM   #72
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerBoomer View Post
Quote:
Except that an S5 (354ps, 500NM) with a decent (but not full) configuration was another 10% € on top of a fully (!) loaded 440i XDrive M-Performance GC (360PS, 500NM) in my country, which according to all reviews and comparisons I found online is outperforming the S5 in almost every way (except for assistive technologies).
Love Audi, but that's the reality when it comes to this class.

The Runflats are easy to get rid of (although I haven't felt the need to do so yet).

RS5 vs M4 - probably a very different story.
      09-03-2019, 01:30 PM   #73
Fuller
Major
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miko M View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I rather get the 5 series
What now who?
4 series GC is like 50K and more I rather have 5 series man.
Not sure how one can even compare.
You should know which one you need/want before looking at the price tag.
Coupe vs. Family car.
It just sounds like "Ice cream? No thanks, I'd rather take the hotdog"
I was not just comparing the price

First coupe should have 2 doors!!!!

Sense they change it to 4 doors to have more room and the back for more room, I rather get bigger 4 door car.

And if I need more room, that's why SAV exists

The whole line up is F up to me.
If you think coupes need to have two doors, you're in luck. Bmw has a line up of two door coupes of varying sizes for people who share your preference. Why should it bother you so much that some people like the 4 door coupe? Why are you so adamant about discontinuing the car that I like?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 01:58 PM   #74
Miko M
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C. 2020 X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuller View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
What now who?
4 series GC is like 50K and more I rather have 5 series man.
Not sure how one can even compare.
You should know which one you need/want before looking at the price tag.
Coupe vs. Family car.
It just sounds like "Ice cream? No thanks, I'd rather take the hotdog"
I was not just comparing the price

First coupe should have 2 doors!!!!

Sense they change it to 4 doors to have more room and the back for more room, I rather get bigger 4 door car.

And if I need more room, that's why SAV exists

The whole line up is F up to me.
If you think coupes need to have two doors, you're in luck. Bmw has a line up of two door coupes of varying sizes for people who share your preference. Why should it bother you so much that some people like the 4 door coupe? Why are you so adamant about discontinuing the car that I like?
I am not I am just saying what I would do that's all.

I had X6M that I Love and will get it again, some people think it's stupid.

It's all personal preference.
JTO245246.50
M 4EVER191.00
      09-03-2019, 04:21 PM   #75
BimmerBoomer
demoted
Rep

pricing aside...

Quote:
Except that an S5 (354ps, 500NM) with a decent (but not full) configuration was another 10% € on top of a fully (!) loaded 440i XDrive M-Performance GC (360PS, 500NM) in my country, which according to all reviews and comparisons I found online is outperforming the S5 in almost every way (except for assistive technologies).
Love Audi, but that's the reality when it comes to this class.

The Runflats are easy to get rid of (although I haven't felt the need to do so yet).

RS5 vs M4 - probably a very different story.
The handling of my S5 has more in common with my 2010 E92 M3 coupe than it does with my 2014 435i xDrive coupe. The S5 may inevitably succumb to understeer but it remains predictable to the end. Not so the F30 variants in xDrive. Push them really hard and you might lose the front or the back, suddenly or in a slow drift. And don't count on the steering to let you know what is happening.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 05:03 PM   #76
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Not my impression.

You can always feel the RWD bias in XDrive, but in my experience it is mostly predictable and quite fun

Is it superior to Quattro? Not as a general rule but highly dependent on the situation. It certainly can be more fun though.

But I'd say it is only fare to compare S5 to LCI, which is improved in many ways (e.g. suspension).
      09-03-2019, 05:44 PM   #77
///M TOWN
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Not my impression.

You can always feel the RWD bias in XDrive, but in my experience it is mostly predictable and quite fun

Is it superior to Quattro? Not as a general rule but highly dependent on the situation. It certainly can be more fun though.

But I'd say it is only fare to compare S5 to LCI, which is improved in many ways (e.g. suspension).
IMO xDrive is way more fun then any Quattro car Ive ever driven.
clee1982796.00
      09-03-2019, 06:10 PM   #78
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

The Gran Coupe exists because they are borne from the customer's requirement for a more practical but sportier concept.

Surprisingly both the previous and current Gran Coupe's 6er and 4er have proved this by outselling their Coupe counterparts.
The 6er Gran Coupe overtook standard 6er Coupe sales within 12 months. That is pretty significant but also a sign of the times were even the Coupe is beginning to decline.

With latest reports pointing to discontinuing models it's really a projection for the future where these models could continue to decline.

Of course we are seeing. Gran Coupe offensive first with THE 8 and then 2er and finally 4er.
      09-03-2019, 07:47 PM   #79
nick3753
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 M3 DCT ZCP

When will we see the Gran Sedans?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 07:53 PM   #80
DML
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 Heritage

Quote:
Currently the best looking bimmer available, that is if you don't mind the length.
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      09-03-2019, 08:23 PM   #81
Miko M
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C. 2020 X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
The Gran Coupe exists because they are borne from the customer's requirement for a more practical but sportier concept.

Surprisingly both the previous and current Gran Coupe's 6er and 4er have proved this by outselling their Coupe counterparts.
The 6er Gran Coupe overtook standard 6er Coupe sales within 12 months. That is pretty significant but also a sign of the times were even the Coupe is beginning to decline.

With latest reports pointing to discontinuing models it's really a projection for the future where these models could continue to decline.

Of course we are seeing. Gran Coupe offensive first with THE 8 and then 2er and finally 4er.
I can see that, and obviously the price point before jumping to ///M

To me more practical and sportier is X4M or ( coupe looking )

I bet the X3M will sell more then any ///M car ever.
      09-03-2019, 08:28 PM   #82
BimmerBoomer
demoted
Rep

fair, not fare...

Quote:
Not my impression.

The only lap times I have are for the coupes at Hockenheim Short:

Audi S5: 1:14.10 BMW E92 M3: 1:14.30 BMW 440i xDrive: 1:15.80
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 10:13 PM   #83
Fuller
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick3753 View Post
When will we see the Gran Sedans?
We did. It was called the 3 series gran turismo.

I suppose they could design a 3 series sedan with only two doors and call it the 3 series coupe like old times.

I'd miss the 4 series though. I like that it's lower and wider than the 3er.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 07:53 AM   #84
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:

I wasn’t a big GranCoupe fan, to my eyes the sedans looked better than coupe or Gran Coupe for the F3x generation and that’s why I have leased an F30 and now an F80, but I am in Europe right now renting a 420i GC and I am really loving this car! The 20i engine feels dead slow compared to my M3 but the GC combines the driving position of the sedan which I prefer with a more stable and planted handling feel than my last F30. We drove down through the Austrian alps yesterday (about 9.5 hours driving from Stuttgart to Venice) and it was a great car for these twisty roads.

Comparing trunk space between sedan and GC isn’t so straightforward, depending on the shapes of objects you typically carry you may prefer one or the other but the giant opening into the rear hatch seems very useful.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 02:03 AM   #85
Fuller
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remonster View Post
Quote:

I wasn’t a big GranCoupe fan, to my eyes the sedans looked better than coupe or Gran Coupe for the F3x generation and that’s why I have leased an F30 and now an F80, but I am in Europe right now renting a 420i GC and I am really loving this car! The 20i engine feels dead slow compared to my M3 but the GC combines the driving position of the sedan which I prefer with a more stable and planted handling feel than my last F30. We drove down through the Austrian alps yesterday (about 9.5 hours driving from Stuttgart to Venice) and it was a great car for these twisty roads.

Comparing trunk space between sedan and GC isn’t so straightforward, depending on the shapes of objects you typically carry you may prefer one or the other but the giant opening into the rear hatch seems very useful.
That's my impression of driving the f36 as well. It seems to corner flatter, with less body roll and lean. It also feels more planted and the chassis gives a bit more feedback from the road. I've noticed this even in f36 cars with the base suspension, compared to an f30 with base suspension.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 01:54 PM   #86
oonowindoo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
....and where are you getting MUCH better handling from? Both a 428i GC and an F30 328/330i have nearly identical performance numbers (....GC vs F30: 1/4 mile....14.2 @ 98mph vs. 14.2 @ 98.5 mph.....skidpad...0.89g vs. 0.88g....etc.).
I went from F30 335i -> F36 435GC ->F30 340i..

I can tell you that the driving characteristics between F30 3 series and F3X 4 series are different.

The reason i got the F36 was because i got a 4 series as loaner when my 335 was in service. and i knew i had to switch within 10 mins of driving the 4 series. Those are the things you cannot measure with #s.

I went back to F30 340i for much better leasing program in 2018 vs. 4 series. I kinda regret it tho...
Appreciate 3
Skyhigh1870.50
      09-05-2019, 02:09 PM   #87
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by oonowindoo View Post
Quote:
....and where are you getting MUCH better handling from? Both a 428i GC and an F30 328/330i have nearly identical performance numbers (....GC vs F30: 1/4 mile....14.2 @ 98mph vs. 14.2 @ 98.5 mph.....skidpad...0.89g vs. 0.88g....etc.).

I can tell you that the driving characteristics between F30 3 series and F3X 4 series are different.

The reason i got the F36 was because i got a 4 series as loaner when my 335 was in service. and i knew i had to switch within 10 mins of driving the 4 series. Those are the things you cannot measure with #s.

I went back to F30 340i for much better leasing program in 2018 vs. 4 series. I kinda regret it tho...
I've already accounted for the differences in feel.....which is entirely subjective and I'm not disputing. The handling data, the level at which these cars perform, the measurable.....is nearly identical. THAT was my point.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 01:09 AM   #88
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oonowindoo View Post
Quote:

Thank you for being honest about it.
The differences are far from subjective.
Alone the lower CoG and almost 50:50 distributed weight make a massive difference.

But yes - if driven by grandma, they'd be exactly the same (colour being the only difference) and she'll objectively get from A to B exactly as fast with either of them.

The 3 is not a bad car! It is just not a 4.