Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Photos / Videos / Journals My thoughts on my 21 M340 MPE vs my C43 AMGPE

10-24-2020, 01:27 AM   #1
Casone238
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340

Now that I had my M340 for going on 4 weeks and driven it a lot and lately in sport plus. I'm not going to go into performance and handling and with the new videos of the 21 M440i performance numbers it's putting down we know the bmw is faster and handles better then the merc.

I know there's a lot of discussions on the exhaust of the 21 M340 and how lost some of its theatrical elements compared to the 2020 M340. I only test drove the 2020 as a test drive was very disappointed with the exhaust (no MPE) I haven't seen anyone really talk about the 21s with the MPE so I wanted to share my thoughts and hopefully those looking into the M340 and thinking about adding the MPE some insight & perspective.

Decibel levels to my ears and neighboring houses all say the bmw is louder, on warm starts the bmw has popping start (Its inconsistent) on the C43 you had to start it in sport + to get that dramatic start (I do believe now on the 2020s you hold the paddle shifters)

On the topics of burbles, pops and bangs the M340 burbles in all modes in especially in lower rev ranges, in the high rev ranges it's inconsistent. On down shifts it's a completely different story even in comfort mode you get some drama down shifts. In sport mode It gives you this nice aggressive burbles as it's down shifting. The C43 shines in the high rev ranges as you let off the power it has these very aggressive multiple pops & bangs. Down shifts theatrics are basically nonexistent compared to the M340.

What I've noticed on the C43 all you had to do was engine rev pass 4000rpm and you get those pops and bangs where as with the Bmw feels like it's dependent on throttle. You can be on the freeway doing 45 mph kick down to 3rd gear and just a tap of the throttle the C43 starts popping off, the bmw exhaust drama seems to respond to 70 plus % of throttle then you get these multiple pops going off which sounds amazing. In the lower speeds you consistently get a pop or bang and you let off power between 3000-4000 rpm

Final verdict, if your someone who really likes the drama of the exhaust as your doing pulls letting off the power as you reach the speed limit your going to find the C43 exhaust to be more exciting. For the person that likes pure exhaust sound your going to like the M340 MPE more. The m340 MPE has a deeper growl, if blind folded while idling you would think its a M3. The drama of the MPE is unpredictable, on the C43 you knew exactly when the back firing was coming.

As a final note the M340 MPE sounds way better in person then it does on any videos, the videos I have doesn't do it justice. I don't feel that way about the C43 and maybe it's because the highlight of the AMG PE is the back firing.
Appreciate 3
rcz2270.00
mf44488.50
russell21147.00
      10-24-2020, 12:41 PM   #2
rcz22
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casone238 View Post
Now that I had my M340 for going on 4 weeks and driven it a lot and lately in sport plus. I'm not going to go into performance and handling and with the new videos of the 21 M440i performance numbers it's putting down we know the bmw is faster and handles better then the merc.

I know there's a lot of discussions on the exhaust of the 21 M340 and how lost some of its theatrical elements compared to the 2020 M340. I only test drove the 2020 as a test drive was very disappointed with the exhaust (no MPE) I haven't seen anyone really talk about the 21s with the MPE so I wanted to share my thoughts and hopefully looking into the M340 and thinking about adding the MPE some insight & perspective.

Decibel levels to my ears and neighboring houses all say the bmw is louder, on warm starts the bmw has popping start (Its inconsistent) on the C43 you had to start it in sport + to get that dramatic start (I do believe now on the 2020s you hold the paddle shifters)

On the topics of burbles, pops and bangs the M340 burbles in all modes in especially in lower rev ranges, in the high rev ranges it's inconsistent. On down shifts it's a completely different story even in comfort mode you get some drama down shifts. It sport mode It gives you this nice aggressive burbles as it's down shifting. The C43 shines in the high rev ranges as you let of the power it has these very aggressive multiple pops & bangs. Down shifts theatrics are basically nonexistent compared to the M340.

What I've noticed on the C43 all you had to do was engine rev pass 4000rpm and you get those pops and bangs where as with the Bmw feels like it's dependent on throttle. You can be on the freeway doing 45 mph kick down to 3rd gear and just a tap of power the C43 starts popping off, the bmw exhaust drama seems to respond to 70 plus % of throttle then you get these multiple pops going off which sounds amazing. In the lower speeds you consistently get a pop or bang and you let off power between 3000-4000 rpm

Final verdict, if your someone who really likes the drama of the exhaust as your doing pulls letting off the power as you reach the speed limit your going to find the C43 exhaust to more exciting. For the person that likes pure exhaust sound your going to like the M340 MPE more. The m340 MPE has a deeper growl, if blind folded while idling you would think its a M3. The drama of the MPE is unpredictable, on the C43 you knew exactly when the back firing was coming.

As a final note the M340 MPE sounds way better in person then it does on any videos, the videos I have doesn't do it justice. I don't feel that way about the C43 and maybe it's because the highlight of the AMG PE is the back firing.
Thank you for posting this - my MPE will be installed at port hopefully in 2 weeks! This post helped to reassure I made the right decision!
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 02:30 PM   #3
Casone238
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcz22 View Post
Thank you for posting this - my MPE will be installed at port hopefully in 2 weeks! This post helped to reassure I made the right decision!
Your welcome! Congrats on the car your going to love it. You definitely made the right choice the difference between the stock exhaust and the MPE is pretty large. I would say it's about 40% louder the looks I get as I drive down the street in comfort mode people just off the sound think it's a M3
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 06:13 PM   #4
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: G80 6MT

Quote:
Your welcome! Congrats on the car your going to love it. You definitely made the right choice the difference between the stock exhaust and the MPE is pretty large. I would say it's about 40% louder the looks I get as I drive down the street in comfort mode people just off the sound think it's a M3
Don’t think people that know anything about BMW think it’s an M3
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 06:16 PM   #5
Vmaxx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Quote:
How much was MPE for port installed option? I was happy with stock 2020 sound but now we know the 2021 has issues with this. Maybe it’s not too late to add to my order.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 06:47 PM   #6
Casone238
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGM340i View Post
Don't think people that know anything about BMW think it's an M3
😂😂😂 I mean that is true but a lot of people who aren't bmw fan boys don't really know about the new G80 M3 so when they see G20 with the sound that it has i can see how they confuse it. The other day there was a C43 messing with me on the freeway and he got walked, a few times he got the jump and still lost convincingly and he goes on to say it's not fair fight you got a M3 when I told him nah it's a stock M340 he just shook his head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vmaxx View Post
How much was MPE for port installed option? I was happy with stock 2020 sound but now we know the 2021 has issues with this. Maybe it's not too late to add to my order.
It was $2000 when you factor in the lease cost and the preventive discount it's basically like $750 for it, payment difference was like $17. If I'm not mistaken you have until the car reaches the port to add any of the M performance parts.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 09:48 PM   #7
Avaley
Captain
Rep
Drives: f32 430ix & 982 GT4 PDK

Garage List
how do they compare in acceleration and handling in more detail please and thank you!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 07:19 AM   #8
Casone238
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avaley View Post
how do they compare in acceleration and handling in more detail please and thank you!
I didn't go into that topic because there's plenty of car review channels that compared the 2 and everyone seems to be on the same page and the performance test figures also favor the M340 but here's a thread where I spoke about my experience and many others in this community.

M340i or CLA 45 S Plus? https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1723397
Appreciate 0