Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs) Thoughts on Paint Protection Film?

07-12-2019, 12:38 PM   #1
Serottab1kr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i X

Thoughts on Paint Protection Film?

I have a new M340iX arriving next week and am considering having installed either Xpel or Suntek on the front bumper, mirrors, partial hood and door cups.

I live in Seattle and do not do a ton of highway driving and rarely, if ever, drive in the snow.

I have had some of new vehicles filmed and some not. I am mixed on filming this car. Just thought I would see others thoughts on filming.

Thanks for any feedback.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 03:14 PM   #2
pneumodoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20, G01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serottab1kr View Post
I have a new M340iX arriving next week and am considering having installed either Xpel or Suntek on the front bumper, mirrors, partial hood and door cups.

I live in Seattle and do not do a ton of highway driving and rarely, if ever, drive in the snow.

I have had some of new vehicles filmed and some not. I am mixed on filming this car. Just thought I would see others thoughts on filming.

Thanks for any feedback.
I live in seattle as well and got it done along with ceramic coating. I went with Ben and Joey at east side auto salon. Not the cheapest, but great quality work and they stand by it. I think it depends on how particular you are about your car and how long you plan to keep it. I’m happy with it so far.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 04:41 PM   #3
hockeymen14
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 m340i

Quote:

Thanks for any feedback.
I agree with the comment below. If you're particular, purchased the car and plan to keep it for more than 6-7 years than it may be worth it. If you leased it I would say absolutely not and if you plan to dump it in 3 years you'll never get your money back. If you have an extra grand laying around and don't care then all of the above don't even matter. To each their own. I did it and plan to keep the car for 7-10 years if all goes as planned.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 07:04 PM   #4
cstavaru
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i M Sport Sedan 6MT

Quote:

Thanks for any feedback.
I had this on my 335i when it was new and I would say it is worth it. It offers a ton of protection for the bumper But at least on Alpine White it detracts a little from the design, it can be noticed especially the partial hood part. After a while I just peeled it off (it was quite hard, used a hairdryer) and I enjoyed the unscratched bumper for a little while.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 07:08 PM   #5
pneumodoc
Lieutenant
Rep

Oh I didn’t read closely enough. I would do the fill front (ie hood fenders) so you don’t have a line. That’s how mine is done, and no one can tell it’s there.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2019, 12:35 AM   #6
Serottab1kr
Enlisted Member
Rep

Great, thanks for the info. There is a place here that will do the suntek film for about 700.

Any issues with filming right away, or is best to wait a month or two for the paint to cure?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2019, 05:47 AM   #7
3ismagic#
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '19 330Xi M-Sport

Quote:
Great, thanks for the info. There is a place here that will do the suntek film for about 700.

Any issues with filming right away, or is best to wait a month or two for the paint to cure?
Modern auto factory paint isn't like the old days (or resprays at a body shop). It comes off the line cured and ready to go. No need to wait.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2019, 11:13 AM   #8
golf_234
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46, E90, F30

On a brand new car, good idea, just don't go overkill on it.
That being said, little wear and tear over the years can add character.
If the thought process behind it is spirited and you just want to keep things top notch I'd say ya. If it is to cherish the car as some immaculate object that should never get exposed to anything, no. I like looking at things like this by finding the "sweet spot". Example:

Jimi Hendrix... lights guitar on fire <-> a person who keeps their guitar in a glass case
James Bond, drifting the Aston Martin with bullet holes <-> a guy who keeps their M3 in the garage 90% of the time

Some where in between there.
      07-13-2019, 11:28 AM   #9
Serottab1kr
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf_234 View Post
On a brand new car, good idea, just don't go overkill on it.
That being said, little wear and tear over the years can add character.
If the thought process behind it is spirited and you just want to keep things top notch I'd say ya. If it is to cherish the car as some immaculate object that should never get exposed to anything, no. I like looking at things like this by finding the "sweet spot". Example:

Jimi Hendrix... lights guitar on fire <-> a person who keeps their guitar in a glass case
James Bond, drifting the Aston Martin with bullet holes <-> a guy who keeps their M3 in the garage 90% of the time

Some where in between there.
Yea, good point. I do really enjoy keeping my cars in top notch shape. I two-bucket hand wash my cars, garage keep, etc. but, I have mixed feelings on filming. I didn’t film my A4 and still looks great. A few very minor blemishes. Other cars I did film, the paint did not wear evenly and ultimately the film weathered a bit.

I’m not sure it really adds much to the resale, as I still think most people do not film.

All good food for thought.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2019, 12:34 PM   #10
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

I would put it on even if leasing 3 years. I do on mine. I have seen a bumper get destroyed in 1 road trip. Then you have a chipped bumper for 3 years.

Previous: '18 340i xDrive; '15 335 xDrive; '14 435i xDrive; '09 335 E92 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2019, 12:36 PM   #11
pneumodoc
Lieutenant
Rep

700 is quite cheap for a full front. More power to you if you have a good installer doing it at that price though!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2019, 01:46 PM   #12
ScottyRyan2019
Licensed Professional Slacker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 and 2023 Mazda CX-30

Garage List
  [10.00]
  [10.00]
2024 BMW M2  [9.50]
My personal opinion, if leasing, pass on it. You can have quite a bit of cosmetic damage and fairly large dings that you won't get charged for. If you buy and drive little and only in town, I would not worry about it. If you buy, plan on owning it for years, and drive a lot on the highway, get it. If you do get it I would not go through the dealer right away. Shop around as you can usually get a better deal. If you insist on going through your dealer, go back to them with the prices you found and negotiate with them.

Now, if you are an absolute stickler with how your car looks and it has to be a 10 out of 10 at all times, then anything above is a moot point. Get it and do the full front.
      07-13-2019, 02:13 PM   #13
golf_234
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubaron79 View Post
I would put it on even if leasing 3 years. I do on mine. I have seen a bumper get destroyed in 1 road trip. Then you have a chipped bumper for 3 years.
IMO, huge waste of time, effort, thought, and money to do it on a lease... just drive the damn thing and keep it waxed and you'll be fine.
Would definitively not do it on a lease. Low benefit thing to spend time on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyRyan2019 View Post
My personal opinion, if leasing, pass on it. You can have quite a bit of cosmetic damage and fairly large dings that you won't get charged for. If you buy and drive little and only in town, I would not worry about it. If you buy, plan on owning it for years, and drive a lot on the highway, get it. If you do get it I would not go through the dealer right away. Shop around as you can usually get a better deal. If you insist on going through your dealer, go back to them with the prices you found and negotiate with them.
This. On a brand new purchased car a good idea. Especially if you plan to keep it long term.

Personally, I tend to be pretty perfectionist with my cars, but over time I find wisdom in the logic that the car is meant to be driven, enjoyed, and used not kept in a worshiping shrine. On my current 340i, condition is pretty much 10/10, I just use a 2 bucket wash, wax and quick wax every wash, and it stays that way. Also have a random orbital and do the clay/polish/wax yearly. I don't have any clear bra on it, and have the OE touch up so if any chips ever do show up I will just fill them with that. I like working with the real paint on the car. I prob should do clear bra on this car, but prob not going to it's been fine, California also doesn't induce a lot of rock chips as it is more of sandy geography.

Shooting for 99% perfect is very often better than shooting for 100% perfect in life.

To take this to the other extreme, my brother has a 1996 328i and it has so many dings, nicks, on it, which we touched up and restored, and the car has immense character and if anything makes it a more interesting car. You'd hardly notice all the nicks because they have been touched up, and if you are focusing on that.... Why? On that car, I would say it in fact makes the car more interesting.
Attached Images

07-13-2019, 08:27 PM   #14
Joro2819
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 750LI

Quote:
IMO, huge waste of time, effort, thought, and money to do it on a lease... just drive the damn thing and keep it waxed and you'll be fine.
Would definitively not do it on a lease. Low benefit thing to spend time on.

This. On a brand new purchased car a good idea. Especially if you plan to keep it long term.

Personally, I tend to be pretty perfectionist with my cars, but over time I find wisdom in the logic that the car is meant to be driven, enjoyed, and used not kept in a worshiping shrine. On my current 340i, condition is pretty much 10/10, I just use a 2 bucket wash, wax and quick wax every wash, and it stays that way. Also have a random orbital and do the clay/polish/wax yearly. I don't have any clear bra on it, and have the OE touch up so if any chips ever do show up I will just fill them with that. I like working with the real paint on the car. I prob should do clear bra on this car, but prob not going to it's been fine, California also doesn't induce a lot of rock chips as it is more of sandy geography.

Shooting for 99% perfect is very often better than shooting for 100% perfect in life.

To take this to the other extreme, my brother has a 1996 328i and it has so many dings, nicks, on it, which we touched up and restored, and the car has immense character and if anything makes it a more interesting car. You'd hardly notice all the nicks because they have been touched up, and if you are focusing on that.... Why? On that car, I would say it in fact makes the car more interesting.
Nice write up, I was pondering over whether this was a good idea when I purchase my 340. Seems like a lot of money to spend. I understand the logic behind it and I have my share of dings on my car. It still looks great with some dings and rock chips and I have learned to luve with it and gave up on trying to make it look like a garage queen.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 07:31 PM   #15
3ismagic#
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '19 330Xi M-Sport

If buying and plan to hold for 5-6 years then yes.
If leasing then no.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 07:37 PM   #16
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Second what everyone says if you plan on keeping the vehicle. Even if you're considering it and not sure, do it. I regret not doing it. I never had an issue with stone chips with my E90 but my F36 has a bunch of nicks, pitting and stone chips in 2 years of ownership.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 09:25 AM   #17
gpdriver17
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

I cannot find anyone in my area to do the hood and front bumper for under $1,800. For that I could just have them repainted. Which seems like a better option since they still could get damaged with the protection. One shop quoted 10k for the entire car!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 12:23 PM   #18
golf_234
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpdriver17 View Post
I cannot find anyone in my area to do the hood and front bumper for under $1,800. For that I could just have them repainted. Which seems like a better option since they still could get damaged with the protection. One shop quoted 10k for the entire car!
Oh man. No way. That is insane. Might just be California, but when I think of it, it really isn't as much of an issue here. It was a lot worse with rock chips when I lived in Utah, I would be much more inclined to do so there as it was a frequent occurrence. See you're in the bay area, would imagine it is similar. Maybe you could just ask yourself how bad it has been with previous cars?
      07-16-2019, 12:28 PM   #19
golf_234
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joro2819 View Post
Nice write up, I was pondering over whether this was a good idea when I purchase my 340. Seems like a lot of money to spend. I understand the logic behind it and I have my share of dings on my car. It still looks great with some dings and rock chips and I have learned to luve with it and gave up on trying to make it look like a garage queen.
That thing is a beaut! I am a firm believer in finding that sweet spot and looks like you have too. For me for my daily drivers it is more about "perfect maintenance" than "perfect car". Anything careless and of disregard is a no to me, but anything "natural" is ok. Like if I get a chip on my hood, I just fill with the BMW touch up paint and forget about it. Adds a story to the car. Can go as far to wet sand, make it perfect... but... no. I own the car and use it, not vice versa.

Another miracle is Paintless dent repair if someone ever happens to dent. Had a couple dents on my E90 back in the day and they worked absolute miracles, it is unbelievable what they are capable of.

Current, no film, just always waxed.
      07-16-2019, 01:55 PM   #20
hockeymen14
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 m340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpdriver17 View Post
Ask them to limit what is done. I was in the same boat and did full hood, lights, front fender and called it a day. I left the fenders and roof line and A pillars alone. Couldn't justify the cost. This was my happy medium.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 05:34 PM   #21
MmmmmM2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Garage List
2016 Mazda CX-5  [0.00]
2021 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
That thing is a beaut! I am a firm believer in finding that sweet spot and looks like you have too. For me for my daily drivers it is more about "perfect maintenance" than "perfect car". Anything careless and of disregard is a no to me, but anything "natural" is ok. Like if I get a chip on my hood, I just fill with the BMW touch up paint and forget about it. Adds a story to the car. Can go as far to wet sand, make it perfect... but... no. I own the car and use it, not vice versa.

Another miracle is Paintless dent repair if someone ever happens to dent. Had a couple dents on my E90 back in the day and they worked absolute miracles, it is unbelievable what they are capable of.

Current, no film, just always waxed.
Very similar to mine!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 06:18 PM   #22
gpdriver17
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Oh man. No way. That is insane. Might just be California, but when I think of it, it really isn't as much of an issue here. It was a lot worse with rock chips when I lived in Utah, I would be much more inclined to do so there as it was a frequent occurrence. See you're in the bay area, would imagine it is similar. Maybe you could just ask yourself how bad it has been with previous cars?
Our previous car got destroyed with rock chips. Maybe it's just the routes we took it on, but I've never seen a car with so many. I'm a little worried they are going to ask us to repaint it for the lease turn in (October).

The M340 is a lease so I don't think we'll do it on that (unless they end up asking us to repaint the one we are turning in soon). The C63 wont be driven much so it shouldn't be a major issue. Probably going to pass.
2023 Porsche 911 Turbo S
Appreciate 0