Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs) Cleaning the Wheel Wells

11-02-2019, 10:07 PM   #1
premier3is
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i M-Sport

Cleaning the Wheel Wells

Does anyone know the best way to clean your wheel wells? What do you guys use and if you have a link for purchase please provide it I'll be glad to take a look. Cleaning behind the wheels is a tough job, but when its done it makes the wheels look 100x better. Picture below just to show you what I mean. I found a Wheel Wand on amazon made by Adams, but would like to see what everyone else uses.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      11-02-2019, 10:10 PM   #2
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M3 Comp xDrive

What makes cleaning the barrels so much easier is having them ceramic coated...same with the brake calipers.
Appreciate 1
themnmd1687.00
      11-02-2019, 10:13 PM   #3
premier3is
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
What makes cleaning the barrels so much easier is having them ceramic coated...same with the brake calipers.
A bit pricey to ceramic coat them, especially since its a lease. I know what you mean though, it would be way easier.

Any other recommendations on what you'd use?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 10:16 PM   #4
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by premier3is View Post
A bit pricey to ceramic coat them, especially since its a lease. I know what you mean though, it would be way easier.

Fair enough. I use a wand type soft wheel brush as well. It's got a flexible handle so you can move it around the wheel spokes (got it on Amazon). Other than that I use a pressure washer to get most of the dirt and brake dust off.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 10:19 PM   #5
premier3is
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Fair enough. I use a wand type soft wheel brush as well. It's got a flexible handle so you can move it around the wheel spokes (got it on Amazon). Other than that I use a pressure washer to get most of the dirt and brake dust off.
This is one of the only wheel wands on amazon, I'm assuming you have this?

https://www.amazon.com/Adams-Wheel-W...092&sr=8-2

If so, I'll just get it and try it out.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 10:23 PM   #6
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep

I got the Chemical Guys wheel woolies wheel brush set (it had 3 different sizes).
Appreciate 1
      11-02-2019, 10:37 PM   #7
premier3is
Major
Rep

Quote:
I got the Chemical Guys wheel woolies wheel brush set (it had 3 different sizes).
Nice, just saw it on Amazon. I'll end up getting one and trying it out.

I don't have the place to wash my car outside my house since HOA doesn't allow it here unfortunately, so I have to go to a car wash and the wheel wells are always left dirty. I actually drive like 15 miles to go to a touch-free car wash (the ones done by lasers/sensors and high pressure washer and chemicals) since I will never go to the ones at gas stations which destroy your paint lol. Then I end up coming home and detailing it thoroughly and the wheel barrels are the one thing I could never clean well. Wish I could wash it myself...
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 10:46 PM   #8
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep

I think you will really like the Chemical Guys ones. They make it so easy to get in behind everything. Good luck!
Appreciate 1
premier3is1627.00
      11-02-2019, 10:58 PM   #9
premier3is
Major
Rep

Quote:
I think you will really like the Chemical Guys ones. They make it so easy to get in behind everything. Good luck!
Thank man will let you know how it works out!
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 11:33 PM   #10
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
CarPro iron X then pressure wash or similar product to get rid of the brake dust. Then wheel brush using your car wash soap, but do it last. I ceramic coated my wheels myself, you can't do the calipers unless you take the wheels off first. The ceramic coating make subsequent cleaning easier.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 11:52 PM   #11
premier3is
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by themnmd View Post
CarPro iron X then pressure wash or similar product to get rid of the brake dust. Then wheel brush using your car wash soap, but do it last. I ceramic coated my wheels myself, you can't do the calipers unless you take the wheels off first. The ceramic coating make subsequent cleaning easier.
Thanks. Good tips, thing is I'll have to try to be able to use a water hose quickly and accomplish this. Was thinking of using the wheel brush and scrubbing it down with soap and water then rinsing it off with water so the job is done quickly without ppl complaining lol.

Any reason why to use soap and water after the pressure wash? Couldn't it all be done at once to accomplish same results?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2019, 09:53 AM   #12
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks. Good tips, thing is I'll have to try to be able to use a water hose quickly and accomplish this. Was thinking of using the wheel brush and scrubbing it down with soap and water then rinsing it off with water so the job is done quickly without ppl complaining lol.

Any reason why to use soap and water after the pressure wash? Couldn't it all be done at once to accomplish same results?
Soap and water then pressure washing. However if you use ironX or similar you need to pressure wash it off as well . Sorry for the confusion
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2019, 12:47 PM   #13
premier3is
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Soap and water then pressure washing. However if you use ironX or similar you need to pressure wash it off as well . Sorry for the confusion
Got it. Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 06:51 AM   #14
NYC_340i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M340i xDrive, '11 X3 28i

I use this and it works like a charm cleaning the inside wheel barrel as well as the outer wheel wells. Only minor issue is when you pull back the brush from between the spokes it tends to splatter back at you.

https://www.amazon.com/EZ-Brand-FBA_1001-SA-Detail-Brush/dp/B002LOP5I
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 08:00 AM   #15
SCardamon
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC_340i View Post
I use this and it works like a charm cleaning the inside wheel barrel as well as the outer wheel wells. Only minor issue is when you pull back the brush from between the spokes it tends to splatter back at you.

https://www.amazon.com/EZ-Brand-FBA_1001-SA-Detail-Brush/dp/B002LOP5I
+1

I've used both the original version of this brush and this one from Amazon - both work well but the speed master does a more thorough job and the rubber tip stays on more effectively (when it doesn't, watch out - you will start scratching your rims with the wire it covers)

Original - SPEED MASTER Two Brush Combo https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J8QVQ7S...p_mob_ap_share

Use with Sonax and WheelWax then no brake dust or build up stands a chance (posted links a min ago in another thread)

Never tried the ceramic coating - that looks pretty awesome as well
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2020, 07:11 AM   #16
advrider6510
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, F80 M3, Ford Mustang

Rinse wheels to remove loose dirt and brake dust. Use a Fire Hose Nozzle to deliver a strong stream of water.

Spray one wheel at a time with an alloy wheel cleaner. A few examples are SONAX Wheel Cleaner Full Effect, Wolfgang Tire & Wheel Cleaner, and P21S Wheel Cleaners. These cleaners are non-acidic in order to protect the wheels' finish. Whether you have clear coated or polished alloy wheels, these wheel cleaners are safe choices.

Use a soft bristled wheel brush to agitate the wheel. The Speed Master Wheel Brush is a great choice because it can fit narrow or wide spaces and has a flexible stem. The soft, synthetic bristles loosen grime and brake dust without scratching the wheel finish. Reach through spokes to clean each wheel front to back.

Don’t forget the lug nuts. Brake dust hides wherever it can. Use a lug nut brush to clean around the lug nuts and inside the lug nut holes. While you’re working with the brushes, the wheel should remain wet. The water and wheel cleaner help loosen grime, but they also lubricate the wheel surface to prevent scratching. You never you want to let a wheel cleaner dry on the wheel because it will spot the finish.

While you’re down there, clean the wheel wells, a.k.a. fender wells. A lot of dirt and mud is kicked up in the wheel wells as the tires roll. You might need something a bit stronger than what you used on the wheels. Spray the wheel well generously with an all purpose cleaner, like BLACKFIRE Tire & Wheel Cleaner. Use a long handled brush with sturdy bristles to agitate the wheel well.

Rinse the wheel and wheel well, including the lug nut holes and between the spokes.

Always dry wheels. Water spots are unattractive wherever they appear, even on the wheels. Our Wheel & All Purpose Microfiber Towel is exceptionally gentle on the wheel finish and grabs any residual brake dust. Because the towel is black, you can you use it on wheels without ruining it. To avoid cross-contamination, use this towel only on wheels and wash it separately from your other microfiber towels. Brake dust is the last thing you want on your paint!

Hope this helps
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 12:55 PM   #17
gurns
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 G82 Dravit Grey

Wheel Care

You’ve got plenty of good advice re keeping your wheels clean. The only other suggestion I can offer is the Gyeon Rim Coat (Quartz Rim Protection) product. I remove my wheels and do a thorough cleaning using some of the techniques, tools and products already mentioned. Lastly, I apply the Gyeon product (a little goes a long way) which I have found to be very easy to apply, effective and long lasting (>6 months). Routine washings are a breeze as barely no road, brake dust, iron deposits stick the wheel or wheel barrel. Water beads up nicely and the shine is pleasing to the eye. Good luck.
Appreciate 0