Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs) Ceramic Coating - Yes or No?!? M340

12-16-2019, 05:17 PM   #1
Carib_Sailor
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340i

Ceramic Coating - Yes or No?!? M340

I need some feedback... I'm new to the BMW family. Getting ready to get delivery of the M340, is good idea to do the ceramic coating? I love to have my car clean. Majority of the time the car is cover at home and at work.

Thanks in advance.

Ed
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 08:12 PM   #2
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M3 Comp xDrive

Yup worthwhile investment that I get on every car. It makes quick cleans so much easier.
Appreciate 1
themnmd1687.00
      12-16-2019, 08:17 PM   #3
pneumodoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20, G01

I did paint protection film (Xpel ultimate) on the hood, front bumper, front fender door cups and tail gate. Also had ceramic coating on the car. Overall very easy to clean, looks dynamite when freshly cleaned, but you still have to put the work in. Won’t be a simple rinse off every two weeks, but does make a maintenance wash easier. Pricey but I’m glad I did it.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2019, 01:38 PM   #4
pmanzonfotos
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
I did the ceramic coating on the car and I just do the booster spray when I wash the car, its just so much easier to keep clean and so much easier to clean once its been coated.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2019, 04:37 PM   #5
jrs130
Private
Rep
Drives: m340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmanzonfotos View Post
I did the ceramic coating on the car and I just do the booster spray when I wash the car, its just so much easier to keep clean and so much easier to clean once its been coated.
Where in LA did you get it done - or you do it yourself?
Appreciate 1
      12-22-2019, 06:16 PM   #6
TTG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340

Garage List
If your car's paint isn't damaged or if you do not have any swirl marks, ceramic coating is way easier than applying a coat of wax.

It is pricy bec most detailers will have to do a full paint corrections before applying ceramic coating.

I did mine in less than 2 hrs but my paint was perfect.

Highly recommended as others stated.

PS: Use the search function as many of these things have already been discussed!

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1645510
2007 E92 335i -Space Gray.....ED Oct 19th, 2006 - Retired
Appreciate 1
      12-23-2019, 04:45 PM   #7
pmanzonfotos
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs130 View Post
Where in LA did you get it done - or you do it yourself?
I ended up doing it my self, it is time consuming, but once you get it on make sure you let it cure for 24 hours. If I have time, I can take a picture of the difference between a wax vs ceramic. My 330e has the chemical guys butter wax vs. my m340i which has a ceramic.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 03:44 PM   #8
Letterkenny
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i (ordered)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmanzonfotos View Post
I ended up doing it my self, it is time consuming, but once you get it on make sure you let it cure for 24 hours. If I have time, I can take a picture of the difference between a wax vs ceramic. My 330e has the chemical guys butter wax vs. my m340i which has a ceramic.
What ceramic did you use and any specific process? I want to do it myself as soon as my car comes in (or if this other dealer plays ball with the in stock car).
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 07:04 PM   #9
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
Yup worthwhile investment that I get on every car. It makes quick cleans so much easier.
+1 , definitely worth it. If you are good at detailing your car do it your self. Save some money 💰
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 12:25 AM   #10
Preciseyyc
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15 35i G20 m340

I operate my own business doing paint correction and ceramic coatings, it's definitely worth the investment if the installer is good, prep is everything, and of course the product, I did my 340 bumper to bumper, wheels, brakes, leather, carpets, windows.
Plus ceramic infused self healing ppf on full front end, skirts. Full back bumper, and more. Feel free to pm me if you have any questions about products, upkeep etc.
Appreciate 1
      02-28-2020, 05:23 PM   #11
Conezz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20

Do it. Just please don't wrap your car in godforsaken plastic!
Appreciate 1
      02-28-2020, 07:15 PM   #12
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conezz View Post
Do it. Just please don't wrap your car in godforsaken plastic!
Are you referring to PPF? If so, what's your issue with it? I have Xpel on my entire front end and the entire car ceramic coated. The Xpel is seamless and you would never know it's there. It's already saved my hood from a few stone chips!
Appreciate 1
      02-29-2020, 09:27 AM   #13
RedKloud
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preciseyyc View Post
I operate my own business doing paint correction and ceramic coatings, it's definitely worth the investment if the installer is good, prep is everything, and of course the product, I did my 340 bumper to bumper, wheels, brakes, leather, carpets, windows.
Plus ceramic infused self healing ppf on full front end, skirts. Full back bumper, and more. Feel free to pm me if you have any questions about products, upkeep etc.
Which product would you recommend? And do I have to leave my car at the detailer for it to be done?
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 09:30 AM   #14
Preciseyyc
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKloud View Post
Quote:
Which product would you recommend? And do I have to leave my car at the detailer for it to be done?
I personally use the cquartz line up of products for my vehicles and client vehicles.
You should be planning at least a day with an installer for paint correction, Surface prep and then the ceramic installation as well. I typically keep a
Car 4 hours after install, but over night when ever I can as you want them to stay dry for minimum 12 hours ideally 24.
Appreciate 1
RedKloud734.50
      02-29-2020, 09:42 AM   #15
RedKloud
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 M50

Quote:
I personally use the cquartz line up of products for my vehicles and client vehicles.
You should be planning at least a day with an installer for paint correction, Surface prep and then the ceramic installation as well. I typically keep a
Car 4 hours after install, but over night when ever I can as you want them to stay dry for minimum 12 hours ideally 24.
So I searched online, and the local CQuartz certified place is charging $2K for the complete treatment! Is that normal?
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 09:46 AM   #16
Preciseyyc
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKloud View Post
Quote:
So I searched online, and the local CQuartz certified place is charging $2K for the complete treatment! Is that normal?
It ranges by city country and state.

For reference my packages are $1000-2000 CAD.
Depending what's done. But I'm technically mobile based, so I don't have a shop increasing my operating costs so I can stay on the lower side.
Just make sure you read fine print. Lots of prices are coating only and paint correction is on top of that.
Appreciate 1
RedKloud734.50
      02-29-2020, 10:09 AM   #17
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

Depending what's done. But I'm technically mobile based, so I don't have a shop increasing my operating costs so I can stay on the lower side.
Just make sure you read fine print. Lots of prices are coating only and paint correction is on top of that.
Exactly. Paint correction can add $400-$1000 (really dependant on paint condition). Also, pricing will be dependent on how many layers are used. I've seen shops that do one coat as standard, and some that do two as standard.
Appreciate 1
      02-29-2020, 10:19 AM   #18
Preciseyyc
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Exactly. Paint correction can add $400-$1000 (really dependant on paint condition). Also, pricing will be dependent on how many layers are used. I've seen shops that do one coat as standard, and some that do two as standard.
Yep exactly. I'm $1000 starting for a 2 step correction and 2 layers, goes up based on car size, layers, glass, wheels. Leather brakes fabric etc
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 11:32 AM   #19
Conezz
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Are you referring to PPF? If so, what's your issue with it? I have Xpel on my entire front end and the entire car ceramic coated. The Xpel is seamless and you would never know it's there. It's already saved my hood from a few stone chips!
Yeah I had a full front xpel ultimate on my past two cars. Decided against it. Just doesn’t look completely invisible and does wear after a couple years even with maintenance. Cars are made to be driven, not embalmed. You got to take the good with the bad.

DISCLAIMER: Just my own opinion. Do not be offended.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 11:47 AM   #20
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I had a full front xpel ultimate on my past two cars. Decided against it. Just doesn’t look completely invisible and does wear after a couple years even with maintenance. Cars are made to be driven, not embalmed. You got to take the good with the bad.

DISCLAIMER: Just my own opinion. Do not be offended.
To each their own. Nobody would be able to tell mine is wrapped...all edges were wrapped under the panels and all done in single sheets (no half hood lines or anything). I had Xpel on a previous white car for almost 4 years and it looked the same as it did the first day it was installed (no yellowing or cloudiness). I did have it ceramic coated after applied which I'm sure helped, but honestly I would never get another car without having at least the bumper and hood wrapped. I do love to drive, but I'm also particular about stone chips (front ends get beat up here in Toronto especially in the winter with the salt being kicked up constantly). If you live in all year sunny climate I could see maybe not opting to do it and just putting the money towards a re-spray of the front bumper if ever required.
Appreciate 1
      02-29-2020, 04:26 PM   #21
Conezz
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
To each their own. Nobody would be able to tell mine is wrapped...all edges were wrapped under the panels and all done in single sheets (no half hood lines or anything). I had Xpel on a previous white car for almost 4 years and it looked the same as it did the first day it was installed (no yellowing or cloudiness). I did have it ceramic coated after applied which I'm sure helped, but honestly I would never get another car without having at least the bumper and hood wrapped. I do love to drive, but I'm also particular about stone chips (front ends get beat up here in Toronto especially in the winter with the salt being kicked up constantly). If you live in all year sunny climate I could see maybe not opting to do it and just putting the money towards a re-spray of the front bumper if ever required.
The roads probably have a lot of debris up there from ice machines and plows.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 04:33 PM   #22
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
The roads probably have a lot of debris up there from ice machines and plows.
During the winter yes. Much like most of the northern US states, sand/salt is a way of life. You have to adjust when driving behind large trucks or you are basically a firing range of salt pellets and debris. It'll all be over by next month hopefully and on to normal nice conditions
Appreciate 0