Bimmerpost
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics Suspension / Chassis / Brakes 2020 M340i Braking Issues

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-03-2019, 09:57 PM   #1
DanVlnStud
Private First Class
DanVlnStud's Avatar
Canada
18
Rep
106
Posts

Drives: 2020 M340i XDrive
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

2020 M340i Braking Issues

Anybody experiencing noisy stop and go braking and steering? It's becoming a challenge to brake smoothly and silently, and its starting to irritate me. The brakes grab and make a creaking and farty noise right before a complete and abrupt stop, and then upon release, they make the same sticky farty creaking noise, and its almost impossible to stop smooth.
I'm kind of frustrated because I had a 2019 330xdrive rental for two weeks that didn't have these issues.
My old e60 made those same sounds, but that car was old.
Does this car come with carbon-ceramic brakes? The SA said they make those sounds naturally. I didn't know the 2020 M340i came with carbon-ceramic brakes stock.

I'm currently driving a loaner that also doesn't have the same issues. I can't get the loaner which is another 330i to make the sounds

Someone, please tell me this is not normal.

Last edited by DanVlnStud; 08-16-2020 at 06:59 PM.. Reason: GRAMMER
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 05:02 AM   #2
Jebk
Private
21
Rep
62
Posts

Drives: G20 330e
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Uk

iTrader: (0)

Could be glazed discs/pads. Have you tried giving it an Italian tuneup with a couple of hard stops?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 07:15 AM   #3
EXE46
Captain
EXE46's Avatar
United_States
712
Rep
612
Posts

Drives: 2020 M340i RWD Aka New E39 M5
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: State of Dystopia

iTrader: (0)

Carbon ceramic lol, no it does not come with those.
__________________
Prior's: E36, E46 x2
Appreciate 2
Hysnbrg55.50
themnmd812.50

      09-15-2019, 11:30 PM   #4
DanVlnStud
Private First Class
DanVlnStud's Avatar
Canada
18
Rep
106
Posts

Drives: 2020 M340i XDrive
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

I went to pick up my car and showed one of the mechanics the problem ina few seconds just pulling out of the driveway, and he instantly said they would inspect the issue another day. Got a call from the SA and he said it was completely normal, and I should call BMW Canada about the issue if I want. When I got the car back, about a quarter tank of my gas was gone and they put about 50km on my speedometer. This is Parkview BMW, wtf! I'm about to make videos about the issues.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 09:55 AM   #5
tommytexter
First Lieutenant
tommytexter's Avatar
Canada
142
Rep
311
Posts

Drives: 2020 M340ix
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Markham

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanVlnStud View Post
I went to pick up my car and showed one of the mechanics the problem ina few seconds just pulling out of the driveway, and he instantly said they would inspect the issue another day. Got a call from the SA and he said it was completely normal, and I should call BMW Canada about the issue if I want. When I got the car back, about a quarter tank of my gas was gone and they put about 50km on my speedometer. This is Parkview BMW, wtf! I'm about to make videos about the issues.
My f32 435i with blue m sport brake had squeaking squealing problem too. Dealers all say it was normal because they don't want to do shit. I solved it myself by applied brake lubricant and squeal was much less often. Then i replaced the pad with ebc redstuff in 3rd year, it went away completely.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 12:06 AM   #6
DanVlnStud
Private First Class
DanVlnStud's Avatar
Canada
18
Rep
106
Posts

Drives: 2020 M340i XDrive
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommytexter View Post
My f32 435i with blue m sport brake had squeaking squealing problem too. Dealers all say it was normal because they don't want to do shit. I solved it myself by applied brake lubricant and squeal was much less often. Then i replaced the pad with ebc redstuff in 3rd year, it went away completely.

Hey thanks, but I'm leasing the car. I don't want to spend money on the thing. I just want a new car ride while I have it.
The SA did nothing for me as well. I'm guessing they are just worn out. I'm sure they launched the shit out of my car before they sold it to me. Today I heard my first squeak from the brakes. How long do these carbon-ceramic pads last on average? After 1.5 months of normal driving, I would think it's a little early. More to bitch about at the dealer.

I miss my BMW dealer in the Voorhees NJ, the service is like night and day. Every time I went for service they would give the latest new car model to enjoy for days, and they fixed so much for free. Unbelievable how poor the service is here in Toronto. Do they not get paid as much?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 11:11 AM   #7
themnmd
Lieutenant Colonel
themnmd's Avatar
United_States
813
Rep
1,538
Posts

Drives: 2020 M340 i Xdrive
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: San Rafael CA

iTrader: (0)

2100 miles no break issues on my M340i. knock on wood. in fact they are great
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 12:08 PM   #8
The Outrage
Private
62
Rep
70
Posts

Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Pennsylvania

iTrader: (0)

Noise is a side effect of semi-metallic brake pads. Typically, the more aggressive the pads, the higher the noise level. Do you have the Cooling and High Performance Tire Package? It's possible that the pad compound is more aggressive with that package.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 12:12 AM   #9
DanVlnStud
Private First Class
DanVlnStud's Avatar
Canada
18
Rep
106
Posts

Drives: 2020 M340i XDrive
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Outrage View Post
Noise is a side effect of semi-metallic brake pads. Typically, the more aggressive the pads, the higher the noise level. Do you have the Cooling and High Performance Tire Package? It's possible that the pad compound is more aggressive with that package.
Yes, I have the cooling and High-Performance tire package, but I don't think it has anything to do with that. It's near impossible to stop smoothly and silently, especially when I have Auto H, and the Auto engine on/off activated in traffic. Right before I come to a complete stop, the brakes grab too early, and then the engine cuts off, which makes the car stop abruptly and causes the suspension to jolt forward and back and when I come out of a stop, the brake doesn't release early enough, and I get nasty rubbing/clunking noise.
It's still happening, and the dealer continues to say its normal, and are too cheap to inspect it.

The worst part is I am a musician and part-time audio engineer and the sound bugs the crap out of me every time. At some point, I will record the issue with some pro mics and share the issue with you all. I'm sure this is a problem only I am facing, the M340i is an excellent car, but just the one I have has some lemon brakes or something. I am already looking forward to exchanging it when the new M3 comes out. I'm sure it won't have the same issues.

Last edited by DanVlnStud; 07-29-2020 at 12:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 10:20 AM   #10
Gdiddy23
Captain
509
Rep
932
Posts

Drives: 2020 M340i
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: St. Paul, MN

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2015 BMW F30  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanVlnStud View Post
I went to pick up my car and showed one of the mechanics the problem ina few seconds just pulling out of the driveway, and he instantly said they would inspect the issue another day. Got a call from the SA and he said it was completely normal, and I should call BMW Canada about the issue if I want. When I got the car back, about a quarter tank of my gas was gone and they put about 50km on my speedometer. This is Parkview BMW, wtf! I'm about to make videos about the issues.
Normal for them to drive your car to "replicate the issue". However my dealer always asks me if they can have my permission before taking it out on the road.

Like somebody else said, take it out and give it a few hard stops. That will sometimes solve some squeaking noises.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 08:35 PM   #11
themnmd
Lieutenant Colonel
themnmd's Avatar
United_States
813
Rep
1,538
Posts

Drives: 2020 M340 i Xdrive
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: San Rafael CA

iTrader: (0)

Have not had any issues with my breaks, knock on wood. In fact they stop great
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 02:06 PM   #12
WXdrivefun
Second Lieutenant
WXdrivefun's Avatar
Canada
109
Rep
282
Posts

Drives: G20 330Xdrive
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Maybe try disabling the auto hold function and brake normally when driving then aggressively while the AutoStart Stop is disabled?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 10:40 AM   #13
DanVlnStud
Private First Class
DanVlnStud's Avatar
Canada
18
Rep
106
Posts

Drives: 2020 M340i XDrive
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WXdrivefun View Post
Maybe try disabling the auto hold function and brake normally when driving then aggressively while the AutoStart Stop is disabled?

I think I tried almost everything. With the auto-hold function on, It's less grabby if I accelerate a bit more aggressively, with it off, I have to stop ever so carefully, and with a little luck, I can finish it smoothly and silently.
The worse is when I use the auto park function or traffic assist. Every stop and go is a bit jerky, and I get that grabby rubbing sound.
When I do a three-point turn, It the noisiest. Brakes grabbing and something creaking when I turn the steering wheel full crank. Like an old car with worn-out suspension components. Please try it and listen.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 06:18 PM   #14
jl96
Registered
0
Rep
1
Posts

Drives: BMW M340i
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Sunnyvale, CA

iTrader: (0)

Hi! I have driven my M340i for two months and the braking noise issue has been there with my new car for the whole time. I recently recorded the noise and you can see if you are having the same issue as mine. I haven't driven it to the dealership for inspection. I heard from some of my friends who also have BMW and they say they have the same issue.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WfY...ew?usp=sharing
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 12:17 AM   #15
tommytexter
First Lieutenant
tommytexter's Avatar
Canada
142
Rep
311
Posts

Drives: 2020 M340ix
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Markham

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl96 View Post
hi! I have driven my m340i for two months and the braking noise issue has been there with my new car for the whole time. I recently recorded the noise and you can see if you are having the same issue as mine. I haven't driven it to the dealership for inspection. I heard from some of my friends who also have bmw and they say they have the same issue.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wfy...ew?usp=sharing
在美国?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 10:03 PM   #16
DanVlnStud
Private First Class
DanVlnStud's Avatar
Canada
18
Rep
106
Posts

Drives: 2020 M340i XDrive
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl96 View Post
Hi! I have driven my M340i for two months and the braking noise issue has been there with my new car for the whole time. I recently recorded the noise and you can see if you are having the same issue as mine. I haven't driven it to the dealership for inspection. I heard from some of my friends who also have BMW and they say they have the same issue.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WfY...ew?usp=sharing
Thanks for the video! Are you able to hear it from inside the car?
I'm also getting noise from the steering when I turn it all the way right or left.
Anyway, I finally had the chance to record a video of all the annoying noises. Had to add a cold start in the beginning while I was at it.
Just waiting for it to upload. I'll post as soon as the upload is complete. I must fix this issue before I go insane.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 09:57 AM   #17
DanVlnStud
Private First Class
DanVlnStud's Avatar
Canada
18
Rep
106
Posts

Drives: 2020 M340i XDrive
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Does your G20 do this?

Purchased the M340i after driving the 2019 330i for a few months. That car was solid and I loved how silent it was. This one sounds a little like one of my old cars before the wheel broke off a nearly killed me.

BMW said a new recall just came out for the steering panels or columns I forgot but hopefully, that fixes it.

Here is the video demo of my whining, farting, and burping g20.
No vehicle should do this, let alone a new car in this price range.

https://youtu.be/zyRYbARc3SQ
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 10:54 AM   #18
Gdiddy23
Captain
509
Rep
932
Posts

Drives: 2020 M340i
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: St. Paul, MN

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2015 BMW F30  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanVlnStud View Post
Purchased the M340i after driving the 2019 330i for a few months. That car was solid and I loved how silent it was. This one sounds a little like one of my old cars before the wheel broke off a nearly killed me.

BMW said a new recall just came out for the steering panels or columns I forgot but hopefully, that fixes it.

Here is the video demo of my whining, farting, and burping g20.
No vehicle should do this, let alone a new car in this price range.

https://youtu.be/zyRYbARc3SQ
Def something majorly wrong.

Hope it gets sorted out. That squelch on the breaks is def not normal.

I've noticed my breaks do squeal very lightly when going very slow or releasing the break pedal to back up but not under normal driving conditions. I also noticed my breaks felt a little different after getting the car ceramic coated. I think the place I got it done at put a layer on the brake calipers/rotors?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 06:11 PM   #19
DanVlnStud
Private First Class
DanVlnStud's Avatar
Canada
18
Rep
106
Posts

Drives: 2020 M340i XDrive
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdiddy23 View Post
Def something majorly wrong.

Hope it gets sorted out. That squelch on the breaks is def not normal.

I've noticed my breaks do squeal very lightly when going very slow or releasing the break pedal to back up but not under normal driving conditions. I also noticed my breaks felt a little different after getting the car ceramic coated. I think the place I got it done at put a layer on the brake calipers/rotors?
I emailed the General Manager, and that did no good. I explained all the issues pretty clearly and sent the same video fast-forwarded to 1:11. All he replied with was that he was unclear as to what I was trying to accomplish. Isn't it obvious that I'm trying to get it in working order?
There is also a clunking noise from the steering column when fully turned left or right on a dead stop. Did you notice that at 1:11?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 08:55 PM   #20
DanVlnStud
Private First Class
DanVlnStud's Avatar
Canada
18
Rep
106
Posts

Drives: 2020 M340i XDrive
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Discussion with General Manager at BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanVlnStud View Post
I emailed the General Manager, and that did no good. I explained all the issues pretty clearly and sent the same video fast-forwarded to 1:11. All he replied with was that he was unclear as to what I was trying to accomplish. Isn't it obvious that I'm trying to get it in working order?
There is also a clunking noise from the steering column when fully turned left or right on a dead stop. Did you notice that at 1:11?
Okay, so he's really starting to piss me off! I ask him if he even watched the video, and all he could reply with was a Reddit post on " dry steering," and he says there was no link. (which was there) so I resend, and he replies with,
Are you trying to damage the car? You are dry steering. Dry steering is the act of turning the steering wheel of a vehicle while the vehicle is stationary. This action puts strain on the rack and pinion, pump, tie rods, and bearings, especially causes undue wear to the steer wheels, and can be exceptionally difficult in the absence of power-assisted steering.

I replied, There is always going to be some level of "Dry Steering" that comes into play while driving. It's unavoidable, and I would think its normal wear and tear that the car can withstand. I'd worry if the car was 10 years old with 100k miles, but I am talking about a new car from BMW, not some shitty Prius. ( sorry Prius owners, it just came out of anger) With a little more research, you'll find my point being right instead of some non-professional advice from a Reddit post (that he copied and pasted), which someone says that there is no proof that it damages the vehicle faster than normal clutch wear. Also, it's not like I sit there for hours dry steering the shit out of it. It was a demo for the video, which only lasted 2 minutes.
Regardless, the car shouldn't be making that noise even when dry steering, and you didn't mention anything about the brakes and carpet (another fucked up matter), so I'm assuming I have to deal with this legally.

With that, he replied like an automated answering service.

As I said from the very beginning if you would like my service team to look at your vehicle we would be happy to do so.
We can not properly diagnose your vehicle over YouTube/email.

There's gotta be someone higher up I can talk to about this. I can't believe I was talking to a general manager. It felt unprofessional and so far I feel like I'm the only one having these issues.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 09:09 PM   #21
Gdiddy23
Captain
509
Rep
932
Posts

Drives: 2020 M340i
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: St. Paul, MN

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2015 BMW F30  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanVlnStud View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanVlnStud View Post
I emailed the General Manager, and that did no good. I explained all the issues pretty clearly and sent the same video fast-forwarded to 1:11. All he replied with was that he was unclear as to what I was trying to accomplish. Isn't it obvious that I'm trying to get it in working order?
There is also a clunking noise from the steering column when fully turned left or right on a dead stop. Did you notice that at 1:11?
Okay, so he's really starting to piss me off! I ask him if he even watched the video, and all he could reply with was a Reddit post on " dry steering," and he says there was no link. (which was there) so I resend, and he replies with,
Are you trying to damage the car? You are dry steering. Dry steering is the act of turning the steering wheel of a vehicle while the vehicle is stationary. This action puts strain on the rack and pinion, pump, tie rods, and bearings, especially causes undue wear to the steer wheels, and can be exceptionally difficult in the absence of power-assisted steering.

I replied, There is always going to be some level of "Dry Steering" that comes into play while driving. It's unavoidable, and I would think its normal wear and tear that the car can withstand. I'd worry if the car was 10 years old with 100k miles, but I am talking about a new car from BMW, not some shitty Prius. ( sorry Prius owners, it just came out of anger) With a little more research, you'll find my point being right instead of some non-professional advice from a Reddit post (that he copied and pasted), which someone says that there is no proof that it damages the vehicle faster than normal clutch wear. Also, it's not like I sit there for hours dry steering the shit out of it. It was a demo for the video, which only lasted 2 minutes.
Regardless, the car shouldn't be making that noise even when dry steering, and you didn't mention anything about the brakes and carpet (another fucked up matter), so I'm assuming I have to deal with this legally.

With that, he replied like an automated answering service.

As I said from the very beginning if you would like my service team to look at your vehicle we would be happy to do so.
We can not properly diagnose your vehicle over YouTube/email.

There's gotta be someone higher up I can talk to about this. I can't believe I was talking to a general manager. It felt unprofessional and so far I feel like I'm the only one having these issues.
Where are you located? Maybe go to a different dealership but you should bring it in ASAP and have them give you a loaner vehicle while they're at it. The vehicle is still under full warranty and they should have been more encouraging for sure.

The dealership I use (BMW Motorwerks) is tough to negotiate w when buying/leasing, but there service dept has always treated me very well and I've never not had a loaner vehicle- even for an oil change so I can still drive myself to work while it's being done for the day.

In fact they even covered a $3k + bill out of goodwill while I was waiting for my M340i to be imported. Keep those emails and send them to another GM at another dealership. Shouldn't have to deal w that BS regardless.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 11:43 AM   #22
DanVlnStud
Private First Class
DanVlnStud's Avatar
Canada
18
Rep
106
Posts

Drives: 2020 M340i XDrive
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdiddy23 View Post
Where are you located? Maybe go to a different dealership but you should bring it in ASAP and have them give you a loaner vehicle while they're at it. The vehicle is still under full warranty and they should have been more encouraging for sure.

The dealership I use (BMW Motorwerks) is tough to negotiate w when buying/leasing, but there service dept has always treated me very well and I've never not had a loaner vehicle- even for an oil change so I can still drive myself to work while it's being done for the day.

In fact they even covered a $3k + bill out of goodwill while I was waiting for my M340i to be imported. Keep those emails and send them to another GM at another dealership. Shouldn't have to deal w that BS regardless.

I’m 5 min away from BMW Toronto, but they said no loaners available while covid is going on.

Haven’t spoken to the GM there but will take your advice and see what happens.

Thank so much!

Edit: you’re in MN, I’m in Canada. I have a feeling Canadian dealers cant keep up with U.S Dealers. I use to live in Cherry Hill, NJ. Best dealer experience I had at Voorhees BMW. Loaners for weeks, and they even changed out my head unit because of knocking and upgraded my rear bumper for free because they accidentally dinged it on my old e60 M5. It’s like night and day.

Last edited by DanVlnStud; 07-17-2020 at 11:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:33 AM.




g20
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST