Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions M340i LCI xDrive Exhaust Valve

01-28-2024, 04:57 PM   #1
ntruluck
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i xDrive LCI

Garage List
M340i LCI xDrive Exhaust Valve

Morning all.

I am seeing something strange, when I put my 2023 M340i LCI xDrive into sport mode at any time the exhaust flat doesn't automatically open. I am getting an AWE delivered this week in Australia for it, but I would like to get this sorted before I get it fitted.

Is it meant to open immediately after putting the car in sport or sport plus or does the 30000RPM rule still apply in those modes too?

Thanks in Advance
Nick
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2024, 05:55 PM   #2
JimmyJazz
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i, 2009 PontiaG8GT,

AWE does a valve bypass. The motor/switch is installed but always in the open position.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2024, 06:04 PM   #3
ntruluck
Rep

Garage List
Thanks Jimmy, yeah I am aware it has the bypass, but was more interested to know about the valve in stock form. I thought Sport or Sport + would open the valve straight away, for me it's not and possibly I should get BMW to resolve that first, so they can't say it's due to the exhaust fitting, if I ever return the car to stock.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2024, 06:33 PM   #4
itsTelly
Private
Rep
Drives: M340i

Are you on sport plus mode with ionic sounds on? You should hear the flaps opening like below at 3:08

Appreciate 1
      01-28-2024, 07:03 PM   #5
ntruluck
Rep

Garage List
Awesome, thanks for that itsTelly. That explains it all, I have the iconic sounds off. I really don't like the internior noice with it on, but explains why the valve isn't opening. All good, I will leave the fuse pulled out and valve in open mode, and will do the same when the AWE is fitted. Thanks heaps mate.

Such a shame you can't have iconic sounds on and it bypasses the interior noise rubbish through the speakers but still opens the valve.

Last edited by ntruluck; 01-28-2024 at 07:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2024, 07:47 PM   #6
itsTelly
Private
Rep

You might be able to code it out. Which version of the AWE exhaust are you getting? Thinking about getting the resonated touring edition sometime in the future but not sure how it drones with aa catted dp.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2024, 07:53 PM   #7
Shaneartistry
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntruluck View Post
Morning all.

I am seeing something strange, when I put my 2023 M340i LCI xDrive into sport mode at any time the exhaust flat doesn't automatically open. I am getting an AWE delivered this week in Australia for it, but I would like to get this sorted before I get it fitted.

Is it meant to open immediately after putting the car in sport or sport plus or does the 30000RPM rule still apply in those modes too?

Thanks in Advance
Nick
Not sure if it’s the same for the M340, but with the M3 even in sport and sport +, the valve only opens about 2/3 or so. It’ll only fully open under throttle load.

There is an easy way to manually keep the valves fully open at all times while keeping the interior fake noise turned off. Without going into too much detail, you can place spacers on the bolts on the exhaust valve control unit as well as use wire or zip ties to manually keep the valves open. Takes about 20 mins to do yourself at home.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2024, 08:26 PM   #8
ntruluck
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaneartistry View Post
Not sure if it’s the same for the M340, but with the M3 even in sport and sport +, the valve only opens about 2/3 or so. It’ll only fully open under throttle load.

There is an easy way to manually keep the valves fully open at all times while keeping the interior fake noise turned off. Without going into too much detail, you can place spacers on the bolts on the exhaust valve control unit as well as use wire or zip ties to manually keep the valves open. Takes about 20 mins to do yourself at home.
Yeah, I warmed up the car so the passenger side valve opened, then I used BimmerLink to open the drivers side valve and then just pulled the 203 fuse, it can no longer get a signal to close, so it remains permanently open now.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2024, 08:30 PM   #9
ntruluck
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsTelly View Post
You might be able to code it out. Which version of the AWE exhaust are you getting? Thinking about getting the resonated touring edition sometime in the future but not sure how it drones with aa catted dp.
I went with the AWE touring non resonated exhaust as I am not changing the downpipe anytime soon. I agreee, I really don't want a constant drone the whole time, hence my decision. I have bimmercode, but like I said above, I will just leave the valve permanently open, if it gets too much drone on the motorway I will see what I can do. But I don't see it being too much of an issue with non resonated anyways.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2024, 08:31 PM   #10
Shaneartistry
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Yeah, I warmed up the car so the passenger side valve opened, then I used BimmerLink to open the drivers side valve and then just pulled the 203 fuse, it can no longer get a signal to close, so it remains permanently open now.
Got ya. I don’t think the valve is fully open when you go that route as the actuator only opens the valve around two thirds the way or so. I could be wrong though.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2024, 08:39 PM   #11
ntruluck
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaneartistry View Post
Got ya. I don’t think the valve is fully open when you go that route as the actuator only opens the valve around two thirds the way or so. I could be wrong though.
You may be correct, but when the AWE gets install next week, the valves will be gone regardless. I was just very perplexed why I couldn't use the sport or sport+ mode to open the valve. But the iconic sounds setting answered that well and truely.
Appreciate 1
      02-08-2024, 11:05 PM   #12
ntruluck
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsTelly View Post
I have it installed and have video, let me know where to send it mate. if you keen to hear it.
Appreciate 1
      02-10-2024, 09:13 AM   #13
itsTelly
Private
Rep

Quote:
I have it installed and have video, let me know where to send it mate. if you keen to hear it.
Can you post in on YouTube? How do you like it? Any issues with the mid brace hitting the exhaust?
Appreciate 0