Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics DIYs and Coding Discussions Anti-dazzle coding on Laser?

02-04-2020, 02:47 PM   #111
mx125
Rep
Drives: M340i

Long message on m340i coding . . followed by a question that may not yet have an answer:

Steve at codemybimmer coded my m340i (lasers). I will say the customer service and professionalism was incredible. Absolutely prompt and flexible. I also had issue which I will describe. Steven stayed with me for over 90 mins in test drive and troubleshooting and connected 4-5 times.

Anyway, recoded a number of things - but anti dazzle was key focus. He uses full euro spec light coding rather than just removing 5AC. I am not sure what that entails. Results amazing. Shockingly effective movement of beams in VERY dynamic environments. 3 lane Highway (in both directions) with cars in front, oncoming and approaching from rear. Amazing. Divided county roads and rural roads. No flashing and obvious mitigation as it was misty / foggy.

However, pretty quickly developed a recurring right turn signal fault. I continued testing lighting and driving through weekend. Fast flash on dash, warning and would usually reset after a restart. Errors extracted in system showed over-voltage etc. in right signal. Odd. We assumed bad cable (given very wet weather).

Took to BMW for normal first service and a recall, and noted the error. I did not mention coding. 3 days, they claim cable was ok and did software update on light. Also updated firmware and idrive as there are slight differences. Cleared all of the coding, however.

Steven re-coded again but with only removal of 5AC (ie NA spec). Seems to work with no errors but have not been in dark environment to get full dynamic test.

Perhaps first few cars (mine delivered in May) had deeper software issues with voltage or control flaws. Or perhaps can't handle EU spec. Don't know yet.

Anyway . .question. . .

Does anyone know if the Canadian Laser strength crippling (ie anecdotally heard 300m vs 600m in Europe) is a separate parameter or embedded in 5AC anti dazzle? Is this feature still a goal of coders?

Perhaps someone has seen a difference in throw distance before and after? I'm not sure I could tell the difference. Any insight purely on the laser question would be interesting.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 01:33 PM   #112
Jbrock22
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2pw

Garage List
BMW   [0.00]
Have you confirmed the anti dazzle is working? Any new issues since the original ones? Considering using them for anti dazzle. Everything else I coded myself via Bimmercode. Thank u
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 02:02 PM   #113
mx125
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbrock22 View Post
Have you confirmed the anti dazzle is working? Any new issues since the original ones? Considering using them for anti dazzle. Everything else I coded myself via Bimmercode. Thank u
Was this for me on my coding change ? Yes, with removal of the 5ac it works perfectly. Very impressive and no errors or issues. Very dynamic.
I still don’t fully understand the laser distance issue nor the engagement speed / threshold as I can’t see the difference. I do see very intense individual beams but not sure if that’s led or laser.

Overall still keen to understand how and where the throw/power is limited in NA to 300m vs 600m and can it be changed.
Appreciate 1
Jbrock22221.50
      02-10-2020, 03:17 PM   #114
JayPichardo
BMW Client Advisor
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
I am trying to find instructions on how to code this so I can have someone code these for me locally

Top M Client Advisor in New England.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 06:15 PM   #115
Jbrock22
Captain
Rep

Garage List
BMW   [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPichardo View Post
I am trying to find instructions on how to code this so I can have someone code these for me locally
I am going to use Code my Bimmer for anti dazzle. Everything else I coded myself via Bimmercode.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 09:34 PM   #116
DG20
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx125 View Post
Quote:
Was this for me on my coding change ? Yes, with removal of the 5ac it works perfectly. Very impressive and no errors or issues. Very dynamic.
I still don’t fully understand the laser distance issue nor the engagement speed / threshold as I can’t see the difference. I do see very intense individual beams but not sure if that’s led or laser.

Overall still keen to understand how and where the throw/power is limited in NA to 300m vs 600m and can it be changed.
Yeah i'm having the same questions about the distance. Maybe it's hardware limited?
      02-11-2020, 09:13 AM   #117
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG20 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I still don't fully understand the laser distance issue nor the engagement speed / threshold as I can't see the difference. I do see very intense individual beams but not sure if that's led or laser.

Yeah i'm having the same questions about the distance. Maybe it's hardware limited?
I don't get it, If you VO coded out the 5AC block, then by extension, the headlight throw distance reverts back to whatever RoW is allowed and programmed at, which according to my research, doesn't differ from the US-spec vehicle, as there is no evidence of this anywhere..

Why do you guys assume the allowed beam throw distance for the laser light is different between regions?

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/g...ant/1VnYvsyHu7

Quote:
Quote:
I still don't fully understand the laser distance issue nor the engagement speed / threshold as I can't see the difference. I do see very intense individual beams but not sure if that's led or laser.

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 11:20 PM   #118
azwillnj
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i xDrive

I got another cool video on the dash cam of a tunnel forming..

View post on imgur.com

edit: No idea why I can't get it to imbed the player like I did in the last post, gotta click it this time..

WE ARE!

Last edited by azwillnj; 02-14-2020 at 11:29 PM..
Appreciate 3
siegester341.00
Poochie9099.00
A6bullet336.00
      02-16-2020, 02:51 PM   #119
siegester
Captain
Rep
Drives: '20 M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by azwillnj View Post
I got another cool video on the dash cam of a tunnel forming..

View post on imgur.com

edit: No idea why I can't get it to imbed the player like I did in the last post, gotta click it this time..
Hmm, interesting. I will remove 5AC again and test in the country to see if I get similar results.

I did do a US vs generated ECE .ncd comparison and didn't notice any differences related to lamp positioning. The only differences that I found were for the side marker and the turn signal lamp, so perhaps VO coding is sufficient. This also makes me think that lighting output is hardware restricted, not software
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 11:48 PM   #120
tommytexter
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340ix

Filmed mine with anti-dazzle restored.
      02-17-2020, 10:00 AM   #121
greekcs
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

I had this feature coded on my '15 435i and kinda regret not getting the laser headlights on my m340i.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 06:17 AM   #122
A6bullet
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i Msport

So ran into an interesting comment on YT:

Quote:
If you didnt know, every car in europe can get laser ligths but there is one law full laser ligths engage after 130 km/h ofc on commercial its diffrent but its disable by factory because of laws and when laws in europe change car manufactures can just update software and turn off the "limitter" for lights bmw has laser light that can eluminate road for 600m but like I said laws are blocking this systems on every car for now
So if thats true, then that would explain why there are no differences (yet) in the code from NA to ROW.

Interesting..
F87 M2

G20 330i
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 07:02 AM   #123
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by A6bullet View Post
So ran into an interesting comment on YT:

Quote:
If you didnt know, every car in europe can get laser ligths but there is one law full laser ligths engage after 130 km/h ofc on commercial its diffrent but its disable by factory because of laws and when laws in europe change car manufactures can just update software and turn off the "limitter" for lights bmw has laser light that can eluminate road for 600m but like I said laws are blocking this systems on every car for now
So if thats true, then that would explain why there are no differences (yet) in the code from NA to ROW.

Interesting..
He lost me when he used the word "eluminate"..

There is no European law changing and the headlight throw are now the same between all regions, that guy is just speculating.

BMW had to get individual approval for their specific laser lights technology to be operated in the US but did not have to change the overall hardware because they demonstrated that it's control by cameras and a failsafe incase they become inoperative.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 08:15 AM   #124
A6bullet
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
He lost me when he used the word "eluminate"..

There is no European law changing and the headlight throw are now the same between all regions, that guy is just speculating.

BMW had to get individual approval for their specific laser lights technology to be operated in the US but did not have to change the overall hardware because they demonstrated that it'a control by cameras and a failsafe incase they become inoperative.
Lol true. So hard to come by hard actionable evidence.
F87 M2

G20 330i
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2020, 09:39 PM   #125
youthsonic
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i XDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Long message on m340i coding . . followed by a question that may not yet have an answer:

Steve at codemybimmer coded my m340i (lasers). I will say the customer service and professionalism was incredible. Absolutely prompt and flexible. I also had issue which I will describe. Steven stayed with me for over 90 mins in test drive and troubleshooting and connected 4-5 times.

Anyway, recoded a number of things - but anti dazzle was key focus. He uses full euro spec light coding rather than just removing 5AC. I am not sure what that entails. Results amazing. Shockingly effective movement of beams in VERY dynamic environments. 3 lane Highway (in both directions) with cars in front, oncoming and approaching from rear. Amazing. Divided county roads and rural roads. No flashing and obvious mitigation as it was misty / foggy.

However, pretty quickly developed a recurring right turn signal fault. I continued testing lighting and driving through weekend. Fast flash on dash, warning and would usually reset after a restart. Errors extracted in system showed over-voltage etc. in right signal. Odd. We assumed bad cable (given very wet weather).

Took to BMW for normal first service and a recall, and noted the error. I did not mention coding. 3 days, they claim cable was ok and did software update on light. Also updated firmware and idrive as there are slight differences. Cleared all of the coding, however.

Steven re-coded again but with only removal of 5AC (ie NA spec). Seems to work with no errors but have not been in dark environment to get full dynamic test.

Perhaps first few cars (mine delivered in May) had deeper software issues with voltage or control flaws. Or perhaps can't handle EU spec. Don't know yet.

Anyway . .question. . .

Does anyone know if the Canadian Laser strength crippling (ie anecdotally heard 300m vs 600m in Europe) is a separate parameter or embedded in 5AC anti dazzle? Is this feature still a goal of coders?

Perhaps someone has seen a difference in throw distance before and after? I'm not sure I could tell the difference. Any insight purely on the laser question would be interesting.

Thanks.
Not an expert, but could this also have been caused by Steve using older psdzdata that didn't cover your car's software revision? I only suspect this due to the software mismatch you mentioned, and the need to update the firmware of the light. Could stale firmware/data possibly cause this?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2020, 08:19 AM   #126
ledbettm0392
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 330i

Not sure about remote coding. Is this possible?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 12:56 PM   #127
Jbrock22
Captain
Rep

Garage List
BMW   [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ledbettm0392 View Post
Not sure about remote coding. Is this possible?
Yes, it's possible.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 09:42 PM   #128
siegester
Captain
Rep
Drives: '20 M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by youthsonic View Post
Not an expert, but could this also have been caused by Steve using older psdzdata that didn't cover your car's software revision? I only suspect this due to the software mismatch you mentioned, and the need to update the firmware of the light. Could stale firmware/data possibly cause this?
This was caused by Euro coding the headlamps. I generated an ECE (European) headlamp NCD file and compared them. There are a number of changes around two things, turn signals and side markers. There are voltage changes for the turn signal (quite a few of them) and the sidemarker is disabled since it doesn't exist outside the NA market. I noted no differences to anything else. Now if someone with laser equipped Euro car wanted to send me their NCD, then I could verify this 100%. As it stands I am 98% confident in the findings.
Appreciate 2
Rev_Hi296.50
      03-30-2020, 01:05 PM   #129
youthsonic
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i XDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by siegester View Post
This was caused by Euro coding the headlamps. I generated an ECE (European) headlamp NCD file and compared them. There are a number of changes around two things, turn signals and side markers. There are voltage changes for the turn signal (quite a few of them) and the sidemarker is disabled since it doesn't exist outside the NA market. I noted no differences to anything else. Now if someone with laser equipped Euro car wanted to send me their NCD, then I could verify this 100%. As it stands I am 98% confident in the findings.
AWESOME! Great explanation! thank you for following up!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 02:14 PM   #130
JayPichardo
BMW Client Advisor
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
So have we pinpointed a person that can do this in the US? Or via remote coding?

Top M Client Advisor in New England.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 06:35 PM   #131
mrgicm
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M

I have compared several files on the G30,G12 and G20 cars on my cars here in Europe and the US cars before coding anti-dazzle on several G20,G30 and G11 remotley in the US.

To code the full Euro spec Anti Dazzle on Laser and Icon on US carsis not a good option because it changes the certain volatages that you would have to revert manually and there is no point of doing that.

If you compare VO coded US car with OEM Euro spec you can see around 80% is the same.
So the best way and result (not to change to ECE version or to change TS of the car) because that will cause problems when going to the dealer is to do VO and a few small fdl changes. Very easily and cheap done remotely.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 07:56 PM   #132
tommytexter
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgicm View Post
I have compared several files on the G30,G12 and G20 cars on my cars here in Europe and the US cars before coding anti-dazzle on several G20,G30 and G11 remotley in the US.

To code the full Euro spec Anti Dazzle on Laser and Icon on US carsis not a good option because it changes the certain volatages that you would have to revert manually and there is no point of doing that.

If you compare VO coded US car with OEM Euro spec you can see around 80% is the same.
So the best way and result (not to change to ECE version or to change TS of the car) because that will cause problems when going to the dealer is to do VO and a few small fdl changes. Very easily and cheap done remotely.
I did VO code. Light seems to work. What fdl do i need to change