Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics Match up 8dsp installed - Huge improvement over HIFI

04-18-2023, 11:04 PM   #1
crpediem_2
Private
Rep
Drives: 330i

Match up 8dsp installed - Huge improvement over HIFI

I installed a Match up 8DSP in my 2023 330i with HiFi and after tweaking it is a huge improvement in the sound quality, clarity and bass response. Installation was pretty simple, with removal of only the rear deck plastic, left side trunk liner and weather stripping.

I followed this video for instructions on how to install:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=f-n7e1mL6ds

I was unable to mount the Match up amp in the factory location as we need to save the RAM amp, so i placed the amp to the left of the rear storage pocket. I used the included brackets and drilled 2 small holes in the sheet metal to install the amp.

You will attach the included adapter cable to the factory Ram and to the vehicle then all of the adapters plug into the amp. Dont forget to run a usb cable out, i bought a 15 foot cable on amazon for $5
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002KL8N6A...t_details&th=1

I purchased the amp on ebay from Allwoodsaudio - excellent service btw - answered all of my questions timely. The amp included the Required harness for my BMW as well as an amp install kit. Note - the kit includes a 40w fuse, you will need to get a 50w ATC fuse for the amp. Shipping took about 10 days from UK to US.

Run a 12v cable with 50amp fuse to the positive battery terminal and ground where the battery is grounded on the chassis.

i downloaded the DSP software directly from Audiotech Fischer:
https://www.audiotec-fischer.de/en/t...ool/downloads/

I also downloaded the DSP file specifically for my BMW 330i:
https://www.audiotec-fischer.de/en/m...ase/soundIndex

Once downloaded i muted all outputs to determine which output corresponds with which speaker:
Input A - FL
Input B- FR
Input C - RL
Input D -RR
Input E - Center
Input F - not used
Input G -L sub
Input F - R Sub

I then went to the output setting and set the high pass only for each speaker to 150HZ w/ 12 db per octave slope for the front stage and rear speakers, if there was a low pass set i bypassed it. I set the subs at low pass 150hz w/ 24 db per octave slope. I also increased the output level on each sub by .5 db.

Next I went to the time tab and measured the distance from each speaker to my head and recorded the stats. I adjusted the right and left to get the sound just to the right of the driver (i do not like hearing sound coming from the left tweeter).

I have not heard the HK system so I have no comparison, but with this upgrade it is 100% improvement over the HIFI. The factory HIFI sounded flat and unemotional to me with little bass response, i felt like it was missing an entire section of response. Now it is crisp and clear, highs are much more pronounced with vocals i can hear. Where before, i would hit 5/8 volume and the highs were strained now there is headroom. It is clear all the way up to 3/4 (haven't tried beyond). Bass response is punchy and it attempts to output lower lows - can hear every bass note on Jeezy Put on, where before it gave out at the first drop. You still will need to add a sub to get the impact but at least there is some resemblance of a sub vs what used to be a woofer at best and more midbass than anything.

Overall if you dont want to spend the 3K to get the HK (gotta have premium package in US to get it) then this is a worthwhile upgrade. It's a 5 out of 10 for install difficulty and is a huge improvement.

I could not attach my sound file, if anyone know how to upload it let me know pls.
Attached Images

Last edited by crpediem_2; 04-18-2023 at 11:13 PM..
Appreciate 3
      04-19-2023, 03:07 PM   #2
Randyg
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 VW Golf R

I also purchased the Match Up8dsp from Allwoodsaudio. Great service and good communication despite being in England. Big savings over Bimmer-tech (over $500). They provided me a sound file. I uploaded it and the system sounds great without doing anything else. As you say - huge improvement over Hi-Fi! Very pleased!
Appreciate 1
      04-21-2023, 01:38 PM   #3
crpediem_2
Private
Rep

Thanks for the files. I’m playing with them now. I’ll send you the update when it’s complete. My file is much fuller like I like my sound all around me versus the all‘s good which is more centered on the driver. But I had my EQ at flat and he’s got each speaker Eq’d separately, so I’m going to integrate those settings I’ll send you my original abd the hybrid between theirs and mine.
Appreciate 1
      04-21-2023, 08:22 PM   #4
Randyg
Private
Rep

David, thank you for sending your file. You did a great job with the settings - it sounds fantastic!
Appreciate 1
      05-03-2023, 03:26 AM   #5
BimmerLoyal
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW GSA 1250 , BMW m340i (soon

Does anyone know if this procedure will be any different for an M340. Are there additional speakers etc.?

In the 330 I are there tweeters/ speakers in the dash and a pillar‘s or is that only in the M340?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2023, 10:31 PM   #6
BimmerLoyal
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crpediem_2 View Post
I installed a Match up 8DSP in my 2023 330i with HiFi and after tweaking it is a huge improvement in the sound quality, clarity and bass response. Installation was pretty simple, with removal of only the rear deck plastic, left side trunk liner and weather stripping.

I was unable to mount the Match up amp in the factory location as we need to save the RAM amp, so i placed the amp to the left of the rear storage pocket. I used the included brackets and drilled 2 small holes in the sheet metal to install the amp.

You will attach the included adapter cable to the factory Ram and to the vehicle then all of the adapters plug into the amp. Dont forget to run a usb cable out, i bought a 15 foot cable on amazon for $5

I purchased the amp on ebay from Allwoodsaudio - excellent service btw - answered all of my questions timely. The amp included the Required harness for my BMW as well as an amp install kit. Note - the kit includes a 40w fuse, you will need to get a 50w ATC fuse for the amp. Shipping took about 10 days from UK to US.

Run a 12v cable with 50amp fuse to the positive battery terminal and ground where the battery is grounded on the chassis.

Once downloaded i muted all outputs to determine which output corresponds with which speaker:
Input A - FL
Input B- FR
Input C - RL
Input D -RR
Input E - Center
Input F - not used
Input G -L sub
Input F - R Sub

I then went to the output setting and set the high pass only for each speaker to 150HZ w/ 12 db per octave slope for the front stage and rear speakers, if there was a low pass set i bypassed it. I set the subs at low pass 150hz w/ 24 db per octave slope. I also increased the output level on each sub by .5 db.

Next I went to the time tab and measured the distance from each speaker to my head and recorded the stats. I adjusted the right and left to get the sound just to the right of the driver (i do not like hearing sound coming from the left tweeter).

I have not heard the HK system so I have no comparison, but with this upgrade it is 100% improvement over the HIFI. The factory HIFI sounded flat and unemotional to me with little bass response, i felt like it was missing an entire section of response. Now it is crisp and clear, highs are much more pronounced with vocals i can hear. Where before, i would hit 5/8 volume and the highs were strained now there is headroom. It is clear all the way up to 3/4 (haven't tried beyond). Bass response is punchy and it attempts to output lower lows - can hear every bass note on Jeezy Put on, where before it gave out at the first drop. You still will need to add a sub to get the impact but at least there is some resemblance of a sub vs what used to be a woofer at best and more midbass than anything.

Overall if you dont want to spend the 3K to get the HK (gotta have premium package in US to get it) then this is a worthwhile upgrade. It's a 5 out of 10 for install difficulty and is a huge improvement.

I could not attach my sound file, if anyone know how to upload it let me know pls.

Did u have to do anything with your ASD ,indicator or gong sounds to avoid them being wayy to loud ?

Also can u please post a couple pictures of the holes u drilled for the bracket and exactly how /where u did that?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2023, 01:25 PM   #7
crpediem_2
Private
Rep

In reference to the turn signal I do not notice it being too loud, it’s louder but not to the point of irritation in my opinion.

Here’s a few pics, I mounted the amp to the left of the pocket. I drilled a small hole in the back wall and attached a screw to the bracket that was included with the amp. Note, I could not get the screw in all the way after removing the amp the second time. So you’ll see that it’s sticking out a little bit. I don’t think it makes a difference as the amp is still secure.

Also on a side note I’ve also now installed a second amp that I am running 1 x 12 inch subwoofer.

I have adjusted the dsp as follows:
Underseat subs - high pass @ 40hz, 24db
- low pass @ 150hz, 12db
12” sub in trunk - high pass @ 20hz, 24db
- low pass @ 80hz, 24db
- distance 60”
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      05-05-2023, 01:26 PM   #8
crpediem_2
Private
Rep

[QUOTE=BimmerLoyal;30094330]Does anyone know if this procedure will be any different for an M340. Are there additional speakers etc.?

In the 330 I are there tweeters/ speakers in the dash and a pillar‘s or is that only in the M340?

In the 330i there are tweeters in the sail panels in the doors and a tweeter in the center dash
Appreciate 1
      05-14-2023, 08:58 AM   #9
Skipjump
Rep
Drives: 2018 330e, 2020 330i xdrive

Quote:
Thanks for the files. I’m playing with them now. I’ll send you the update when it’s complete. My file is much fuller like I like my sound all around me versus the all‘s good which is more centered on the driver. But I had my EQ at flat and he’s got each speaker Eq’d separately, so I’m going to integrate those settings I’ll send you my original abd the hybrid between theirs and mine.
Got the same amp. Notice that it’s louder than before but I don’t feel the clarity has improved as much. Would appreciate if you can share your audio file. TIA
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2023, 12:13 AM   #10
Throatpunch
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

I wouldnt mind a file too. Out of the box the speakers sound pretty bad with the dsp. I feel like a good speaker driver should play fairly well without too much processing.

I may buy eton 100’s at this point
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2023, 09:15 AM   #11
slotmachine88
Rep
Drives: G20

Quote:

Input A - FL
Input B- FR
Input C - RL
Input D -RR
Input E - Center
Input F - not used
Input G -L sub
Input F - R Sub

Where did you download the sound files from? I did have the 8dsp installed in my g20 (2021 model) few months ago. Can't find the sound file even if from the AudioFishcer web site. Just only download some from f30 forum and did some fine tune which is base on my car's speakers distance(between the driver seat)
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2023, 10:43 AM   #12
crpediem_2
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slotmachine88 View Post
Where did you download the sound files from? I did have the 8dsp installed in my g20 (2021 model) few months ago. Can't find the sound file even if from the AudioFishcer web site. Just only download some from f30 forum and did some fine tune which is base on my car's speakers distance(between the driver seat)
I used the one of the base tunes provided by allssgood audio (the eBay seller I purchased the amp from) and tweaked it from there. If you pm me your email I’d be happy to send it to you
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2023, 12:22 PM   #13
meyer1son
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i rwd

Could you share a few pictures of your frequency responses?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2023, 05:58 PM   #14
crpediem_2
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyer1son View Post
Could you share a few pictures of your frequency responses?
I have attached pictures of the settings for each speaker, my output settings and timing settings. If anyone has a suggestion of what to change or how I can improve pls let me know. Thank you
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
meyer1son293.50
lomker0.00
      05-21-2023, 06:02 PM   #15
crpediem_2
Private
Rep

A note : remove the sub 1 and sub 2 from the line out under the output tab. I had this set up for an external subwoofer.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2023, 10:49 AM   #16
meyer1son
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i rwd

Quote:
A note : remove the sub 1 and sub 2 from the line out under the output tab. I had this set up for an external subwoofer.
Thanks for sharing. Do you use rew? I am looking for actual frequency responses from others with 676 hifi. Are you using auto set for eqing?

Last edited by meyer1son; 05-22-2023 at 10:52 AM.. Reason: Gjhgt
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2023, 12:05 PM   #17
crpediem_2
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyer1son View Post
Thanks for sharing. Do you use rew? I am looking for actual frequency responses from others with 676 hifi. Are you using auto set for eqing?
I used the canned tune from all good audio (eBay seller I purchased amp from) and tweaked from there. I haven’t used a rew.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2023, 03:03 PM   #18
BimmerLoyal
Private
Rep

Quote:
I used the one of the base tunes provided by allssgood audio (the eBay seller I purchased the amp from) and tweaked it from there. If you pm me your email I’d be happy to send it to you
Can u send me this file as well. I’ll dm my email
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2023, 03:10 PM   #19
BimmerLoyal
Private
Rep

Quote:
In reference to the turn signal I do not notice it being too loud, it’s louder but not to the point of irritation in my opinion.

Here’s a few pics, I mounted the amp to the left of the pocket. I drilled a small hole in the back wall and attached a screw to the bracket that was included with the amp. Note, I could not get the screw in all the way after removing the amp the second time. So you’ll see that it’s sticking out a little bit. I don’t think it makes a difference as the amp is still secure.

Also on a side note I’ve also now installed a second amp that I am running 1 x 12 inch subwoofer.

- low pass @ 150hz, 12db
- low pass @ 80hz, 24db
- distance 60”
What is the black smaller box that looks to be directly to the rear of the left cargo spot?

I see the match dsp directly to the left of the cargo spot with the cables coming out but the black box with the screw in it looks to be in a different location ?

Would love any type of help or instructions /visuals on where to drill and what mounts best where.

I’m also considering a external sub so would love to know what u did for that (what subs u used and where u mounted then )
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2023, 03:25 PM   #20
BimmerLoyal
Private
Rep

Quote:

- low pass @ 150hz, 12db
- low pass @ 80hz, 24db
- distance 60”
What is the black smaller box that looks to be directly to the rear of the left cargo spot?

I see the match dsp directly to the left of the cargo spot with the cables coming out but the black box with the screw in it looks to be in a different location ?

Would love any type of help or instructions /visuals on where to drill and what mounts best where.

I’m also considering a external sub so would love to know what u did for that (what subs u used and where u mounted then )
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2023, 06:27 PM   #21
crpediem_2
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerLoyal View Post

If you’re looking at the area directly behind the left fender in my pictures, the box with the screw sticking out is the match up amp the other black box with the wires coming out is my subwoofer amplifier.

I used the line out on the match up amp to run to my Rockford Fosgate mono amplifier. I mounted a JL audio ported 12 inch subwoofer box directly behind my back seats. Jl model:
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-E1h1HU...SABEgJlZPD_BwE
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-08-2023, 12:47 AM   #22
Randyg
Private
Rep

I may need to copy you - again! David, your tuning for the Match UP8 was perfect without the subwoofer. I can only imagine it must now sound with the additional subwoofer!

You've nailed how to really make the non HK system sound fantastic!
Appreciate 0