Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics Software updates discussions

10-08-2019, 03:54 PM   #265
juhcobywankenobi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i

Garage List
2019 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Outrage View Post
If BMW continues to withhold over-the-air updates from its customers, at what point in time would this be considered false advertising? Not having to beg an belligerent dealer to get software updates was a factor in my decision to purchase a G20.
I was enticed by this as well.

BMW should at least post a newsletter, email or something telling owners why their vehicles are not receiving updates.

Unless they think most owners:
a) don't care
b) don't know there is an update unless they spoke to someone else with an update or looked on here...
Appreciate 1
      10-09-2019, 09:46 AM   #266
Pauleebe
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Inbetween BMW's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juhcobywankenobi View Post
I was enticed by this as well.

BMW should at least post a newsletter, email or something telling owners why their vehicles are not receiving updates.

Unless they think most owners:
a) don't care
b) don't know there is an update unless they spoke to someone else with an update or looked on here...
I think most owners aren't educated and therefore aren't aware. Unless they're having issues with their car, they probably aren't concerned about a software update.
Appreciate 1
      10-09-2019, 11:03 AM   #267
x986
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 340, ex e92 335, ex e46 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauleebe View Post
I think most owners aren't educated and therefore aren't aware. Unless they're having issues with their car, they probably aren't concerned about a software update.
My wife has a Tesla, and I completely agree with Paul, AS LONG AS you're not saying something like, "I wish the car would do this or that".
Appreciate 1
Pauleebe379.50
      10-09-2019, 12:15 PM   #268
Quietlife
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW G20

Garage List
2019 BMW G20  [0.00]
It was just a video showing where the software update is In the settings menu in the car. Didn’t provide anything new
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 12:55 PM   #269
EXE46
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD Aka New E39 M5

I would think owners are concerned when they have CarPlay connectivity issues that no other manufacturer has. Or when the key card doesn't work the way BMW claimed it should. Mine no longer unlocks the door.
      10-09-2019, 02:29 PM   #270
Eagle Creek
Part of the bimmer family!
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMWG20; BMW E90

Garage List
2019 G20 330e  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXE46 View Post
I would think owners are concerned when they have CarPlay connectivity issues that no other manufacturer has. Or when the key card doesn't work the way BMW claimed it should. Mine no longer unlocks the door.
A key that doesn't unlock. Sounds problematic 😅
      10-10-2019, 01:10 PM   #271
RSnic
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340Xi (G20)

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPichardo View Post
Saw it today here is what I noticed so far:

- New apps page with new icons

- Much more detailed maps in the Live Cockpit

Will post pics tomorrow.
JayPichardo ,

I have a 2020 M340Xi and it has software version 03/2019.60; I have tried using the iDrive and the Connected drive app several time to update and all I get is my system is up to date. Think my car has a date of manufacture of 6/26/19 (not certain as I took ED on Jul 12)

What gives on version 07.2019.39? Is there something I am doing incorrectly?

Thanks

2020 M340Xi| ZDA| ZDY| ZPP| ZPX| 1CR| 1PL| 688| 6NW| 2VFH|
Retired: 2014 328i
BMW CCA
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 01:52 PM   #272
Eagle Creek
Part of the bimmer family!
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMWG20; BMW E90

Garage List
2019 G20 330e  [0.00]
Just received mine today, 07.2019.30
      10-11-2019, 07:58 PM   #273
DallasExec
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Does anyone on this thread have fact-based knowledge on BMW version numbering?

It's entirely possible that all models/all specs aren't *supposed* to have the same SW version.

If you car says it's up to date, why question it? What does BMW gain by somehow refusing to update customer software?

I think all the conspiracy talk and BMW bashing is out of line, unless someone has facts about how their versioning works.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 06:59 AM   #274
LarrySinNJ
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasExec View Post

It's entirely possible that all models/all specs aren't *supposed* to have the same SW version.

If you car says it's up to date, why question it? What does BMW gain by somehow refusing to update customer software?

I think all the conspiracy talk and BMW bashing is out of line, unless someone has facts about how their versioning works.
It's fairly obvious that the first two segments relate to the month and year of the release. Based upon the different 07.2019.xx versions in this thread, my guess is that the last segment could be country or even language-specific.
2011 E90 328i xDrive Space Grey/Black Leather(Ret'd)
2009 E90 328i xDrive Monaco Blue/(Ret'd) 2007 E90 328i xDrive Graphite (Ret'd)
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 11:49 AM   #275
premier3is
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i M-Sport

Quote:

1. It's software

2. Software updates are common, in fact I don't think I've ever seen any software which doesn't have updates. There is always enhancements.

3. The reason why they wouldn't waste time updating is if you don't have a legitimate reason for needing it. Been answered on why possibly they wouldn't update without necessity.

4. Last time dealership updated for me... it solved many of my problems.. you still don't believe software updates are necessary and I should stick with the one my car came with??

5. I believe it says it's up to date on the vehicle because OTA updates aren't available yet, so if it doesn't pick up that theres updates out there, then it's just going to say it's on the most recent version.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 01:04 PM   #276
DallasExec
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by premier3is View Post
1. It's software

2. Software updates are common, in fact I don't think I've ever seen any software which doesn't have updates. There is always enhancements.

3. The reason why they wouldn't waste time updating is if you don't have a legitimate reason for needing it. Been answered on why possibly they wouldn't update without necessity.

4. Last time dealership updated for me... it solved many of my problems.. you still don't believe software updates are necessary and I should stick with the one my car came with??
Never said anything remotely close to this.

5. I believe it says it's up to date on the vehicle because OTA updates aren't available yet, so if it doesn't pick up that theres updates out there, then it's just going to say it's on the most recent version.

BMW has been doing OTA updates for years, hard to imagine they aren't working all of a sudden in 2019
Still have not seen anyone post fact based information on how the numbering works. My assertion remains - it's entirely possible that different spec cars are supposed to have different versions.

"4. Last time dealership updated for me... it solved many of my problems.. you still don't believe software updates are necessary and I should stick with the one my car came with??"

Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 01:37 PM   #277
EXE46
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Regardless of your assertions which are false because even the heavily spec'ed cars which mine is not have the same march software version as me. My car does not have Professional Driving Assistance package or the 3D camera etc. Yet all the cars manufactured prior to July had the same software version.

The march update in my car is ancient and requires an update. Dealer has advised me to drop car off next week and they will address it along with the recall for the camera.
      10-12-2019, 02:38 PM   #278
premier3is
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i M-Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by premier3is View Post
1. It's software

BMW has been doing OTA updates for years, hard to imagine they aren't working all of a sudden in 2019
Still have not seen anyone post fact based information on how the numbering works. My assertion remains - it's entirely possible that different spec cars are supposed to have different versions.

"4. Last time dealership updated for me... it solved many of my problems.. you still don't believe software updates are necessary and I should stick with the one my car came with??"

From what you're saying it obviously sounds like you believe we don't need updates and should stick with the version that's on the car...

Also I didn't say "BMW has been doing OTA updates for years, hard to imagine they aren't working all of a sudden in 2019' — why is that even included as a part of my post on your reply???

Anyways I'm going to assume you wrote it in the wrong field and if YOU are saying that it's hard to imagine OTA isn't working all of a sudden, you clearly aren't aware of what's going on.... might want to read up a bit on this forum and also BMW is aware OTA isn't working currently and it's slated to be released soon.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 08:36 PM   #279
Liquid_Ice
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Garage List
Has anybody gotten the recall for the reverse camera done yet? My car is at the dealer getting this done now, and I asked if it was an update to the latest iDrive, I said because I was having CarPlay issues and wanted the latest version and he said yes that the recall simply updates you to the latest iDrive software.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 05:24 AM   #280
phillyd2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_Ice View Post
Has anybody gotten the recall for the reverse camera done yet? My car is at the dealer getting this done now, and I asked if it was an update to the latest iDrive, I said because I was having CarPlay issues and wanted the latest version and he said yes that the recall simply updates you to the latest iDrive software.
Interesting. Please let us know what version you dropped it off with and which they updated to.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 08:04 AM   #281
EXE46
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Tomorrow I will be dropping off mine as well for camera update and software update. I was told I need to leave it for about 2 days.
      10-14-2019, 10:33 AM   #282
alpinewhite3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Currently searching

I wish we could just update via USB. Simple, easy and effective. I tried but it said my software will update automatically.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-14-2019, 10:50 AM   #283
neukrisz
Just a BMW fan
Hungary
Rep
Drives: MY2020 G20 320i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinewhite3 View Post
I wish we could just update via USB. Simple, easy and effective. I tried but it said my software will update automatically.
+1!
I also prefer the USB way instead of the (promised but not working) OTA
Taking the car to the BMW for update can eats half of my day
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2019, 02:47 PM   #284
mbanck
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E46 320ci, BMW F34 330dx

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSnic View Post
JayPichardo ,

I have a 2020 M340Xi and it has software version 03/2019.60; I have tried using the iDrive and the Connected drive app several time to update and all I get is my system is up to date. Think my car has a date of manufacture of 6/26/19 (not certain as I took ED on Jul 12)

What gives on version 07.2019.39? Is there something I am doing incorrectly?

Thanks
There's no OTA updates for major versions (or even different builds of the same major version) of iDrive7 as of yet.

The only way to get 07/2019 is via a BMW dealer.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2019, 04:13 PM   #285
Liquid_Ice
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyd2 View Post
Interesting. Please let us know what version you dropped it off with and which they updated to.
Unfortunately I was taking it in because my windshield cracked due to a rock (or maybe a brick haha) hitting it - this wasn't just a little rock chip, I had a crack that went halfway across the windshield and the crack went all the way through to the inside. But I should get my car back tomorrow night - so I'll see what version I end up with - and also check to see if maybe the Lane Change Assistant starts working!
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2019, 07:12 PM   #286
havenyoung
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 G20 330i

Garage List
2019 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_Ice View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyd2 View Post
Unfortunately I was taking it in because my windshield cracked due to a rock (or maybe a brick haha) hitting it - this wasn't just a little rock chip, I had a crack that went halfway across the windshield and the crack went all the way through to the inside. But I should get my car back tomorrow night - so I'll see what version I end up with - and also check to see if maybe the Lane Change Assistant starts working!
I just got my car back last week after taking it in for ConnectedDrive check. They performed two required campaigns (one for rear view camera one for usb port I believe) on it and updated the software to 07/2019.55.
Appreciate 0