BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics Suspension / Chassis / Brakes Ohlins

01-23-2022, 09:08 AM   #1
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

Ohlins

Has anyone ordered the new ohlins RT for xdrive yet? Debating between those or v2/v3. I would add camber plates as well.
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 12:08 PM   #2
Chubbiejones
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicoeur View Post
Has anyone ordered the new ohlins RT for xdrive yet? Debating between those or v2/v3. I would add camber plates as well.
I have yet to read anyone having purchased a set of Ohlins. I'm in the same boat; I'm in the market for a good set of coilovers (KW V3 or Bilstien EVO S) just not a lot a reviews from actual G20 owners.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2022, 04:01 AM   #3
larrington5
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340xi

I'm almost positive that I will leave mine at the original "4x4" ride height, but I do LOVE the way G20s look when lowered (but not slammed). Maybe when I get back to the states I'll be able to lower it a bit without destroying the nose on every road around...
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2022, 06:51 AM   #4
Chubbiejones
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I ordered a set of the Ohlins R/T coilovers; currently sitting in my garage waiting for the Vorshlag camber plates to arrive prior to installation. Keep in mind my car does not have xDrive
Appreciate 1
Logicoeur992.50
      02-19-2022, 06:59 AM   #5
Chubbiejones
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrington5 View Post
I'm almost positive that I will leave mine at the original "4x4" ride height, but I do LOVE the way G20s look when lowered (but not slammed). Maybe when I get back to the states I'll be able to lower it a bit without destroying the nose on every road around...
Ohlins recommends only lowering the vehicle 20-30mm from the factory ride height (roughly 1"). This is the same ride height reduction as a set of Dinan lowering springs, unlike the KW V3 coils which has a ride height reduction of >1.5"
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2022, 09:19 PM   #6
larrington5
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubbiejones View Post
Ohlins recommends only lowering the vehicle 20-30mm from the factory ride height (roughly 1"). This is the same ride height reduction as a set of Dinan lowering springs, unlike the KW V3 coils which has a ride height reduction of >1.5"
That's not bad, actually. I might even be able to get away with that here in Italy...
Appreciate 1
      04-23-2022, 08:10 PM   #7
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Any updates on the ohlins? Chubbiejones
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2022, 08:50 PM   #8
Chubbiejones
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Any updates on the ohlins? Chubbiejones
Not as of yet - currently waiting on the installation a set of new Vossen HF5 wheels including new tires (hopefully within the next month or so / still have a few more miles left on the original run flats) prior to the installation of the Ohlins and Vorshlag - I want to ensure I obtain the absolute best alignment so I don't have to align the vehicle twice.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2022, 08:53 PM   #9
Chubbiejones
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrington5 View Post
Quote:
That's not bad, actually. I might even be able to get away with that here in Italy...
No reason to wait
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2022, 12:14 PM   #10
thakid22
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Bmw M340i M-Sport w/ VDC

Quote:
Not as of yet - currently waiting on the installation a set of new Vossen HF5 wheels including new tires (hopefully within the next month or so / still have a few more miles left on the original run flats) prior to the installation of the Ohlins and Vorshlag - I want to ensure I obtain the absolute best alignment so I don't have to align the vehicle twice.
Do know that it is advised to align your vehicle again after the coilovers have settled from their set ride height and broken in. The car will usually lower a little bit within the next 3 or 400 miles after you install and set them.

You are in a perfect situation to:
Install the coils now. Figure out and set your desired right. Then, drive for a bit (on your current nearly used up tires) until the coils have settled and broken in. Lastly, you can get the alignment when you install your new wheels.

Installing the wheels, coils, and alignment all at once will leave you with a slightly different alignment after everything has settled.

Just something to consider...
Appreciate 1
      04-24-2022, 12:23 PM   #11
Chubbiejones
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thakid22 View Post
Quote:
Do know that it is advised to align your vehicle again after the coilovers have settled from their set ride height and broken in. The car will usually lower a little bit within the next 3 or 400 miles after you install and set them.

You are in a perfect situation to:
Install the coils now. Figure out and set your desired right. Then, drive for a bit (on your current nearly used up tires) until the coils have settled and broken in. Lastly, you can get the alignment when you install your new wheels.

Installing the wheels, coils, and alignment all at once will leave you with a slightly different alignment after everything has settled.

Just something to consider...
Appreciate you taking time to provide insight into my current situation! This new information definitely provides me with greater clarity and I'll begin the installation process very soon. Additional question - I have a set of Vorshlag camber plates I also want to install. I assume these should be installed after the coils have been given time to settle and just prior to the new alignment correct?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2022, 06:10 PM   #12
thakid22
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Bmw M340i M-Sport w/ VDC

Quote:
Appreciate you taking time to provide insight into my current situation! This new information definitely provides me with greater clarity and I'll begin the installation process very soon. Additional question - I have a set of Vorshlag camber plates I also want to install. I assume these should be installed after the coils have been given time to settle and just prior to the new alignment correct?
Glad I could help.

You can install the camber plates with the coilovers at the same time.
They should be installed in a position that is approximate to the stock strut mount.
There are markings on the camber plate, you can call Vorshlag and ask whick mark is the stock equivalent.
Of course, this will all be re set again at your initial alignment. The point of setting the plates to a stockish position during initial installation, is to make sure your alignment isn't so far off that driving feels funny until you get your first alignment.
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2022, 06:04 PM   #13
Chubbiejones
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thakid22 View Post
Quote:
Glad I could help.

You can install the camber plates with the coilovers at the same time.
They should be installed in a position that is approximate to the stock strut mount.
There are markings on the camber plate, you can call Vorshlag and ask whick mark is the stock equivalent.
Of course, this will all be re set again at your initial alignment. The point of setting the plates to a stockish position during initial installation, is to make sure your alignment isn't so far off that driving feels funny until you get your first alignment.
Sounds great! I'll give Vorshlag a call tomorrow to discuss orientation as there are no markings on the plates. Once I have the information from Vorshlag and the spindle housing spreading socket I'll conduct the installation; I'll keep you posted on the results.

FYI - I will be start a new thread dedicated to the Ohlins and their ride quality. I will post the associated link in this thread for ease of access and review.

Thank you again for your time and your assistance!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2024, 12:03 PM   #14
yoon_209
Masterchief
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' BMW M340i

What setting do you guys run for comfort and spirited
      01-18-2024, 12:06 PM   #15
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

When I had the car I ran it at 14/12 from soft front and rear and left it like that. Daily and autocross. The springs and dampening are already pretty stiff compared to stock, but VERY compliant so it didn’t need much fiddling. It passed the wife test with flying colors.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2024, 07:31 PM   #16
yoon_209
Masterchief
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' BMW M340i

Quote:
When I had the car I ran it at 14/12 from soft front and rear and left it like that. Daily and autocross. The springs and dampening are already pretty stiff compared to stock, but VERY compliant so it didn’t need much fiddling. It passed the wife test with flying colors.

14 clicks counter clock from the 0 position at full firm?