Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Sport vs Sport Plus on M340i?

02-06-2023, 09:05 PM   #23
Matic94
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M440i G26

Give me a second I can post pictures, just to show that individual can change engine and transmission to sport plus correct?

Edit:

Name:  D47355A4-7A76-4727-AFA5-76D50BA89116.jpg
Views: 1337
Size:  204.9 KB

Name:  3D279A43-FF59-4640-B391-86CF177BF873.jpg
Views: 1352
Size:  195.0 KB

Last edited by Matic94; 02-06-2023 at 09:11 PM.. Reason: Adding pictures
Appreciate 3
madpistol1746.00
sfgator40.50
      02-06-2023, 09:16 PM   #24
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matic94 View Post
Give me a second I can post pictures, just to show that individual can change engine and transmission to sport plus correct?

Edit:

Attachment 3098848

Attachment 3098850
Thanks. That’s what we’re looking for. Now, if someone could just find some information that describes what is actually happening. For some reason BMW seems to be holding that information close to the vest.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

Last edited by tturedraider; 02-06-2023 at 10:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2023, 09:19 PM   #25
Matic94
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M440i G26

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
That’s what we’re looking for. Now, if someone could just find some information that describes what is actually happening. For some reason BMW seems to be holding that information close to the vest.
What do you mean by “what is actually happening”? I can tell you I always run the car in first screenshot as that feels the best for daily driving. If you put the transmission in sport plus you will definitely be faster as it revs high, but for daily driving it is too jerky at low speeds. The downshifting is nice while transmission is in sport plus though, very nice.
Appreciate 1
EXE462101.50
      02-06-2023, 09:29 PM   #26
madpistol
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M440i GC

Quote:
That’s what we’re looking for. Now, if someone could just find some information that describes what is actually happening. For some reason BMW seems to be holding that information close to the vest.
Good luck finding it. Apparently the words and experiences of a bunch of seasoned G20 owners is not enough to prove to you that it's true, even when basically all of them are telling you the exact same thing. We don't have some secret club where we get our stories straight before divulging information on a thread in the G20 forums of Bimmerpost. This is how the car reacts. We don't need a BMW tech doc to tell you how our cars perform.
      02-06-2023, 09:40 PM   #27
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpistol View Post
Good luck finding it. Apparently the words and experiences of a bunch of seasoned G20 owners is not enough to prove to you that it's true, even when basically all of them are telling you the exact same thing. We don't have some secret club where we get our stories straight before divulging information on a thread in the G20 forums of Bimmerpost. This is how the car reacts. We don't need a BMW tech doc to tell you how our cars perform.

No need to get your panties in a wad. That’s not what I said. When BMW introduced Sport Plus on the F30 they published specific information about what Sport Plus did. They’ve never done that with the G20. Obviously, they made significant changes to what Sport Plus does and they’ve never provided a single word about or description of exactly what those changes were. It would be nice and interesting to read their own information about the changes they made. The only way anyone even knew anything had changed was when G20 owners started reporting what they were experiencing in the seat of their pants. Believe me. There were (and probably still are) lots of F30 owners who were (and are) convinced Sport Plus does more on the F30 than the information BMW has published says it does.

Last edited by tturedraider; 02-06-2023 at 09:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2023, 09:44 PM   #28
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

Quote:
there's no need i've done all the tests over 10,000kms in the dry and the wet and on loose gravel
Appreciate 1
madpistol1746.00
      02-06-2023, 10:30 PM   #29
madpistol
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M440i GC

Quote:
No need to get your panties in a wad. That’s not what I said. When BMW introduced Sport Plus on the F30 they published specific information about what Sport Plus did. They’ve never done that with the G20. Obviously, they made significant changes to what Sport Plus does and they’ve never provided a single word about or description of exactly what those changes were. It would be nice and interesting to read their own information about the changes they made. The only way anyone even knew anything had changed was when G20 owners started reporting what they were experiencing in the seat of their pants. Believe me. There were (and probably still are) lots of F30 owners who were (and are) convinced Sport Plus does more on the F30 than the information BMW has published says it does.
It might very well be true about the F30, and BMW just didn’t publish it. This isn’t a placebo. Sport + changes the behavior to something more aggressive than regular Sport.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2023, 11:15 PM   #30
RCtennis3811
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

Yup, Sport and Sport+ have noticeable changes to drivetrain and trans in our 2 G20s and our G01 X3. I mean, the pictures I posted from my M340i clearly show that both options have 3 selectable settings, so not sure why this is even up for debate.

I did have an Fxx 4-Sries Gran Coupe as a loaner months ago and did notice how Sport+ on that was nowhere near as aggressive as it in in the Gxx cars, so I get why a change in Sport+ in the new generation of vehicles is a surprise for those who don't use one on a daily basis.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2023, 03:33 AM   #31
Younge
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

f series used the following settings for each
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1526609

I haven’t seen a table like the one attached above.

Probably very similar?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2023, 06:58 AM   #32
AR1978
Rep
Drives: 2016 Mustang, 2015 4Runner

Read through this thread and thank you for the info.

Went into the settings for Sport Individual and selected:
Steering Sport
Engine Sport Plus
Transmission Sport

It seems to make the car a little more fun to drive and avoid the really aggressive transmission shifts that Sport Plus has. Those were the options available (didn’t see dampening for example) but just wanted to make sure I’m not off thte mark on this since I’m still learning all the ins and outs of the M340i.
Appreciate 1
madpistol1746.00
      02-08-2023, 09:49 AM   #33
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AR1978 View Post
Read through this thread and thank you for the info.

Went into the settings for Sport Individual and selected:
Steering Sport
Engine Sport Plus
Transmission Sport

It seems to make the car a little more fun to drive and avoid the really aggressive transmission shifts that Sport Plus has. Those were the options available (didn’t see dampening for example) but just wanted to make sure I’m not off thte mark on this since I’m still learning all the ins and outs of the M340i.
You’d only see damping if your car has the adaptive suspension.

11-26-2023, 06:18 AM   #34
ztech
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i

Garage List
2019 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
There’s a lot of discussion about this and a lot of claims. Most of these claims prove to me the placebo effect is strong.

Here is a FACT. In the F30 the ONLY difference between sport and sport plus is that plus engages Dynamic Traction Control, just as if you pushed the DTC button. Dynamic Traction Control actually reduces traction control intervention. It allows a limited amount of wheel slip. Sport plus has no extra effect on the transmission or anything else.

There are many, many claims that it does more in the G20. I have never seen any technical information from BMW that indicates this is the case. If it is true, as far as I can uncover, BMW has never put out any information to advertise or publicize that. Here is an article from a well known BMW aftermarket brand that supports my belief that sport plus in the G20 is the same as in the F30. https://www.bimmer-tech.net/blog/ite...mode-explained

If anyone has any technical information or advertising from BMW that says sport plus does more in the G20 than it did in the F30 I hope they will post it here.
I've heard Sport+ holds revs longer. It also supposedly makes throttle response more sensitive (and possibly less linear (less smooth) than comfort/sport). In Sport+ steering becomes heavier than Comfort (heavier than Sport too?). I've found in my car Sport+ and sport have a bit of choppiness when applied to the Engine setting, so I leave Engine setting at comfort.

STEERING: COMFORT
ENGINE: COMFORT
TRANSMISSION: SPORT+
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2023, 02:49 PM   #35
Elderado82
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i XDrive

This is how I have come to understand my 2021 M340i G20’s Modes.

Transmission:

Eco Map: The transmission decouples under deceleration, coasting, and stops. It also shifts and runs as low as 800 rpm under light acceleration.

Comfort Map: The transmission only decouples at stops. Shifts are about the same as in Eco mode.

Sport Map: There is no transmission decoupling. Shifts under light throttle and braking occur around 2000 rpm. With WOT to redline, hard braking shifts between 3000 and 4000 rpm.

Sport+ Map: Shifts are between 2000 and 3000 rpm under light acceleration and braking. With WOT to redline, hard braking shifts are around 3000 and 5000 rpm.

Also, the shift points between Comfort, Sport, and Sport+ get tighter, making shifts more snappy and responsive.

Engine:

Eco Mode: Very low throttle response. The engine will decouple with the transmission and shut down during coasting, light braking, and at stops or even coasting to a stop.

Comfort Mode: Better throttle response. The engine shuts down only at stops.

Sport Mode: No engine shutdown and even better throttle response.

Sport+ Mode: Best throttle response.

Also, the torque curve goes from linear to more and more flat as you move from Eco to Sport+. Therefore, the air to fuel map must change too. This was noticed during personal testing and while watching the sport display under each of the maps.
Appreciate 6
CSBM52731.50
SW192457.50
Rawhide364.00
      11-28-2023, 10:54 AM   #36
SW19
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpine White M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elderado82 View Post

Transmission:

Eco Map: The transmission decouples under deceleration, coasting, and stops. It also shifts and runs as low as 800 rpm under light acceleration.

Comfort Map: The transmission only decouples at stops. Shifts are about the same as in Eco mode.

Sport Map: There is no transmission decoupling. Shifts under light throttle and braking occur around 2000 rpm. With WOT to redline, hard braking shifts between 3000 and 4000 rpm.

Sport+ Map: Shifts are between 2000 and 3000 rpm under light acceleration and braking. With WOT to redline, hard braking shifts are around 3000 and 5000 rpm.

Also, the shift points between Comfort, Sport, and Sport+ get tighter, making shifts more snappy and responsive.

Engine:

Eco Mode: Very low throttle response. The engine will decouple with the transmission and shut down during coasting, light braking, and at stops or even coasting to a stop.

Also, the torque curve goes from linear to more and more flat as you move from Eco to Sport+. Therefore, the air to fuel map must change too. This was noticed during personal testing and while watching the sport display under each of the maps.

Thanks for the detailed info.

This is what i felt was the best setup on my test drive of an M340i with the M Sport suspension last week.I also test drove a car with the adaptive m suspension.When comparing them i much preferred the handling and road feel of the car with the M Sport suspension.The suspension just felt firmer and more dialed in then the adaptive m suspension in the sport setting.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
CSBM52731.50
      11-28-2023, 12:42 PM   #37
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp, 2011 M3, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW19 View Post
Thanks for the detailed info.

This is what i felt was the best setup on my test drive of an M340i with the M Sport suspension last week.I also test drove a car with the adaptive m suspension.When comparing them i much preferred the handling and road feel of the car with the M Sport suspension.The suspension just felt firmer and more dialed in then the adaptive m suspension in the sport setting.
Ugh. We didn't have the opportunity to drive an M340i with Adaptive M suspension, but we ordered one with it. It's 150 status now, so no changes allowed. Hopefully it won't be too bad. This reminds me of back in 2011 test driving the E90 M3 standard suspension vs the ZCP option (which on that car just meant 10mm shorter springs, retuned EDC damping programming), and I very much preferred the normal, non-EDC, struts/shocks suspension...especially over bumpy pavement while cornering.

I still have the E90 M3 and also an M2C, so I'll have direct back-to-back comparisons to those two once the M340i gets here. Fingers crossed that it meets pretty high expectations.

I do wish the M340i had programmable "M" buttons like on the M2C, but I assume there is some easy way to save a setup...my wife nor I have really dealt with Idrive 8 much other than a short test drive.
2007 E91 328i Silver, slushbox, Eibach fr/E93 M3 rear sway bars, ARC-8
Appreciate 1
EXE462101.50
      11-28-2023, 01:17 PM   #38
RT1250Ryder
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G20 LCI M340i

This is exactly what I see on my 2023 M340i. The only thing I will add is that Sport+ is nearly unusable on the street in normal driving as the shift points are too high. I've played around with it on some back roads and it is fun but would be a nightmare for daily driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elderado82 View Post

Transmission:

Engine:

Appreciate 0
      11-29-2023, 05:31 AM   #39
Panscan340
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340

Think it also changes the TC a bit. I normally drive in sport individual with DTC on which for me is basically all sport plus besides transmission bc I find it keeps you in way too low of a gear.

Well I was trying sport plus with DTC, took a turn and nailed it and I got way looser than I normally would and the conditions were fine.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2023, 06:07 AM   #40
Rawhide
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by zazzau View Post
Welcome to Sport Individual: I set everything to Sports Plus except the gearbox which I set to Sport. When I need to have fun I put the car in Sport Individual with the gear lever to the left (S mode.)
This is exactly what I do too.
Appreciate 1
      11-30-2023, 02:42 PM   #41
Longdoggy
Master Bates
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340 xDrive

on the 2020 M340, sport plus gives you more bangs/pops out the exhaust.

Source - Ive owned the car for 4 years and have done all 37k miles. About 99% of the time in sports+ with DSC off.

RETIRED: 2011 E90 335i xDrive — Cobb AP3, PE Exhaust, Alpina TCU Flash, VRSF Charge Pipe
2017 Estoril Blue X1 M Sport — JB4
Appreciate 1
      11-30-2023, 03:25 PM   #42
SW19
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpine White M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSBM5 View Post
Ugh. We didn't have the opportunity to drive an M340i with Adaptive M suspension, but we ordered one with it. It's 150 status now, so no changes allowed. Hopefully it won't be too bad. This reminds me of back in 2011 test driving the E90 M3 standard suspension vs the ZCP option (which on that car just meant 10mm shorter springs, retuned EDC damping programming), and I very much preferred the normal, non-EDC, struts/shocks suspension...especially over bumpy pavement while cornering.

I still have the E90 M3 and also an M2C, so I'll have direct back-to-back comparisons to those two once the M340i gets here. Fingers crossed that it meets pretty high expectations.

I do wish the M340i had programmable "M" buttons like on the M2C, but I assume there is some easy way to save a setup...my wife nor I have really dealt with Idrive 8 much other than a short test drive.
Considering how long the M340i has been on the market i find it strange that there isn't even one Youtube review comparing the two suspensions in a back to back test.I guess it is a bit of a hassle to get two cars to test out but it makes a huge difference in how the car handles.

You should give an update in this thread when you take delivery of your car.Since you have an M2C with the passive suspension it would be interesting to get your take on the handling of the car with the adaptive suspension.

I'm very used to the firm suspension in my original M2 and my wife's 2018 540i with the m sport suspension.Its one of the reasons i prefer the M340i with the m sport suspension.

Did you consider waiting for the changes coming to the MY25 model year?That's what i am doing.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2023, 05:41 PM   #43
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp, 2011 M3, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW19 View Post
Considering how long the M340i has been on the market i find it strange that there isn't even one Youtube review comparing the two suspensions in a back to back test.I guess it is a bit of a hassle to get two cars to test out but it makes a huge difference in how the car handles.

You should give an update in this thread when you take delivery of your car.Since you have an M2C with the passive suspension it would be interesting to get your take on the handling of the car with the adaptive suspension.

I'm very used to the firm suspension in my original M2 and my wife's 2018 540i with the m sport suspension.Its one of the reasons i prefer the M340i with the m sport suspension.

Did you consider waiting for the changes coming to the MY25 model year?That's what i am doing.
LCI2 or whatever they're going to call it, with S58 TU2, etc...yes, we considered waiting, but timing-wise decided to go ahead now. I like the idea of the TU2 port injection/direct combo though. The biggest decision we worked over was M340i vs M3. If we got the G80 we could get a 6MT and no sunroof which my wife and I really want; however, while I love the S58 on track, for the planned duty cycle of the M340i, the B58 is a much better choice for us...if we could have just gotten it with a 6MT and slicktop, then it would have been perfect.
2007 E91 328i Silver, slushbox, Eibach fr/E93 M3 rear sway bars, ARC-8
Appreciate 1
SW192457.50
      12-04-2023, 09:17 AM   #44
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 & M340i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSBM5 View Post

You will not be disappointed with the adaptive. Having also owned an M2C and E90 M3, I would say the damping is superior to both (particularly the M2C). It deals with imperfections in one stroke and is overall very composed. It's supple but quick to react with no floatiness. It gets slightly more busy in sport (although I have my sport individual set to comfort suspension so rarely run it stiff) but still feels very well damped. Not sure what wheel and tire combo you ordered but the 225 square runflats are massively under tired for the power, I have a set of Apex to go on with 255 square soon.

If your coming directly from those two cars the steering will take some getting used to though. Firstly the steering wheel is stupidly thick and really irritating to hold compared to the M2C wheel for example. The rack itself is nicely quick and it makes the car feel eager to turn in, but its not linear which makes it feel somewhat unintuitive to make small corrections mid corner. Like anything though you get used to it, but it always feels a touch artificial. When I jump in my GT4 with its beautifully thin steering wheel and razor sharp linear rack it always feels more apparent when returning to the m340i.
Appreciate 1
CSBM52731.50