BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

04-22-2024, 02:26 AM   #67
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by White340XDriveInCt View Post
1. Power/Performance = 9
2. Styling = 8
3. Handling = 8
4. Brakes = 7.5 (maybe a 9 if not for the insane squeaks lol)
5. Comfort = 8.5
6. Technology = 8
7. Efficiency = 6.5
8. Daily Driver-ability (storage size, ease of access, etc) = 9
9. Passenger Comfort = 9 (wife loves it overall)
10. Smile Factor (how much do I smile and get excited when about to drive it...a number that will certainly increase when I get the brake pads swapped ) = 8.5
you want to give us a review of the massive chunky steering wheel and how stiff it is?

ta.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 02:50 AM   #68
Jimjamz
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring (Frozen Black)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyscraper View Post
You need to figure out how to have both.
So after a 2 year transition period from a M2 CS and X4M40i we’re now very happy having paired a G81 M3 Touring and a 992 911 T 7 speed manual (having transitioned through a Macan GTS from the M2 CS for a year).

It’s a great setup. The everyday cruiser is the M3 for power, comfort and technology and the manual 992 T is the car I take on on a drive for the sake of driving. If I could only have one car it would be the M3 Touring. But the fun factor on the manual 911 T (including self-shifting, sound, steering and looks) is next level.
Attached Images

Appreciate 10
      04-22-2024, 09:11 AM   #69
Allerum
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 M3C X-Drive

[QUOTE
Absolutely enjoying the car, and although it's not quite the machine that the 911 was, for what I'll be using it for, and just overall day-to-day drivability, it's a wonderful car [/QUOTE]

My MPG are around 22 and have gotten up to 29 mph on a road trip.
Having the BMW CS Transmission coding should fix your jerkiness. And should be like $200.
Appreciate 2
      04-22-2024, 01:11 PM   #70
White340XDriveInCt
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 Tanz M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbb View Post
No problems with the install at all, and no problems in the year that I've had them. Squeal is gone, but the BMW M car bite is still there.
Great news! Thanks pal
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 08:04 PM   #71
SexyRoger
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
It's been just over a month with the G80 M3 Comp, and I'll eventually post a video review on my fledgling YT channel (I'll edit this post later) but for now I just wanted to hit some highlights...

Previous Sports/Enthusiast Car Ownership/Experience:

-I've owned a couple of different E46 M3's, the E36 M3, and an F80 Comp, and have driven the other generations quite a bit. Several of the later generation TC 3 series, a 5.0 Mustang, etc. Most recently, a 991.2 911 GTS.

G80 M3 Comp PROS(IMHO):

-Immensely comfortable car to get in and out of, drive, live with day to day, etc.
-Beautiful car aesthetically. I love the profile, and I "got over" the front end years ago and now actually think it compliments the car well. Aggressive looking stance, sexy, stylish while also looking luxurious.
-Technology is excellent and a huge step up from the 991.2 Porsche. I love the larger iDrive screen, the lighting options, the layout, etc. I still have occasional weirdness with the radio switching to other options, and/or the screen being a little "possessed" but that could be from my own idiocy
-The power is unreal, truly. When I think it's ready to drop off it just screams for more. An absolute beast in the straights/highway.
-I'm very impressed with the steering, both generally and with corner entry/exit. Now, it's definitely NOT the 911 GTS in terms of precision sharpness, and feel, but for the size of this car and class that it's in, I find it excellent, truly. I've heard some mention they felt steering to be too "numb" or there was too much understeer but for the most part I'm not experiencing it with my car (wearing Pilot 4S). It handles wonderfully for a heavy, large saloon with a whopper engine.
-Brakes (we'll get to the sounds later lol) are incredibly grippy, nearly terrifyingly so M Brakes have always been killer but these seem a bit extra.
-Overall there are a lot of good things to say about this car. Awesome daily driver providing a lot of joy, unquestionably.

G80 M3 Comp CONS:

-The brake squeak I mean, I've seen all the videos, owned a bunch of other M cars, etc., so I'm well-versed in the bedding in process, the excessive brake dust, and the "drive it fast a few times and nearly lock it up," yadda yadda yadda. I thought, after trying the last method, I had "solved" it shortly after buying the car but...nope. As others have posted, it comes right back For a 90k+ car, it just seems absurd that they can't source materials (that other vendors apparently have) and put on a setup that doesn't sound like a school bus coming to a screeching halt at stoplights lol. I will be switching to the iSweeps ASAP.
-Gas mileage is not as bad as I recall the V8 M3 being back when I drove it rather extensively, but it ain't great Having said that (in best Larry David voice), I knew what I was signing up for, however, didn't expect it to be quite this thirsty (I'd say guesstimation is 20% thirstier than the GTS...but that's far from scientific lol)
-The transmission is certainly not PDK precise, but overall it's fine, although I do get a lot of "clunky jerkiness" when exiting parking lots over uneven surfaces or sometimes when I'm in traffic and just tapping the throttle to move forward. Far from butter smooth, but the shifts are precise and quick when getting on it so not a trainwreck

Overall Rating (so far after 1 month of ownership), 1-10 scale for each:

1. Power/Performance = 9
2. Styling = 8
3. Handling = 8
4. Brakes = 7.5 (maybe a 9 if not for the insane squeaks lol)
5. Comfort = 8.5
6. Technology = 8
7. Efficiency = 6.5
8. Daily Driver-ability (storage size, ease of access, etc) = 9
9. Passenger Comfort = 9 (wife loves it overall)
10. Smile Factor (how much do I smile and get excited when about to drive it...a number that will certainly increase when I get the brake pads swapped ) = 8.5

Overall 1 Month Score = 8.2

Absolutely enjoying the car, and although it's not quite the machine that the 911 was, for what I'll be using it for, and just overall day-to-day drivability, it's a wonderful car
I am glad you had a 911 gts. Yes the M3 has more power. This is where it ends. The GTS, you can beat it on the track for 2 plus hours and only limit is fuel, brakes tell you 3 laps before they are gone. M3 you get 2 laps to warm up tires, and 3 laps to fade the brakes.

M3 vs Cayenne GTS or Cayenne S Diesel, same amount of torque, same shift speeds.

It is not precise and steering is numb on the G80 which you are right. I felt no diff jumping form M3 to Cayenne. Interior maybe was a bit cooler on M3.

It's a nice car, nice show and dazzle inside. Connections are good. It's a good daily as is the GTS. Easier to get in and out of the M3.

One thing I found the GTS missing was the stiffer suspension, lower and better tires.

Now I don't want to make you feel bad or say BMW is a bad car. It's not, but it's not a Porsche. My fav was the F80 Comp and that was an awesome car aside from the way weak points of brakes.

BMW is great and I hope to get one as my winter car.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2024, 07:40 AM   #72
Allerum
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 M3C X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SexyRoger View Post
I am glad you had a 911 gts. Yes the M3 has more power. This is where it ends. The GTS, you can beat it on the track for 2 plus hours and only limit is fuel, brakes tell you 3 laps before they are gone. M3 you get 2 laps to warm up tires, and 3 laps to fade the brakes.

M3 vs Cayenne GTS or Cayenne S Diesel, same amount of torque, same shift speeds.

It is not precise and steering is numb on the G80 which you are right. I felt no diff jumping form M3 to Cayenne. Interior maybe was a bit cooler on M3.

It's a nice car, nice show and dazzle inside. Connections are good. It's a good daily as is the GTS. Easier to get in and out of the M3.

One thing I found the GTS missing was the stiffer suspension, lower and better tires.

Now I don't want to make you feel bad or say BMW is a bad car. It's not, but it's not a Porsche. My fav was the F80 Comp and that was an awesome car aside from the way weak points of brakes.

BMW is great and I hope to get one as my winter car.
I had no brake fade for like 20 laps. I've not seen a post about the brakes fading at the track with this car.
Appreciate 1
      04-23-2024, 09:54 AM   #73
KrazyE.M3
KrazyeM3
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23' G80, 04' E46, 97' E36

Quote:
It's been just over a month with the G80 M3 Comp, and I'll eventually post a video review on my fledgling YT channel (I'll edit this post later) but for now I just wanted to hit some highlights...

Previous Sports/Enthusiast Car Ownership/Experience:

-I've owned a couple of different E46 M3's, the E36 M3, and an F80 Comp, and have driven the other generations quite a bit. Several of the later generation TC 3 series, a 5.0 Mustang, etc. Most recently, a 991.2 911 GTS.

G80 M3 Comp PROS(IMHO):

-Immensely comfortable car to get in and out of, drive, live with day to day, etc.
-Beautiful car aesthetically. I love the profile, and I "got over" the front end years ago and now actually think it compliments the car well. Aggressive looking stance, sexy, stylish while also looking luxurious.
-Technology is excellent and a huge step up from the 991.2 Porsche. I love the larger iDrive screen, the lighting options, the layout, etc. I still have occasional weirdness with the radio switching to other options, and/or the screen being a little "possessed" but that could be from my own idiocy
-The power is unreal, truly. When I think it's ready to drop off it just screams for more. An absolute beast in the straights/highway.
-I'm very impressed with the steering, both generally and with corner entry/exit. Now, it's definitely NOT the 911 GTS in terms of precision sharpness, and feel, but for the size of this car and class that it's in, I find it excellent, truly. I've heard some mention they felt steering to be too "numb" or [...]
As I have one myself for a month now. I would strongly agree with everything you said.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2024, 09:20 PM   #74
nu2M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ‘23 M3 Competition xDriv

Good review. I share many of your sentiments as I once owned a stage 2 tuned 991.2 GTS. I loved the 911 but had make room for an R8. I thought I wanted a GT3 but since I don’t track my cars, I opted for the facelift R8 Performance. I still smile when I strap into it after 3+ years of ownership considering I get bored with cars after a couple of years; it’s definitely a keeper! If I had the garage space, I would have kept the GTS.
My M3CX is my DD. It is faster than my tuned 991.2 GTS (just shy of 600HP) in a straight line! I’m pretty sure it’s because of the xDrive. The power delivery of the S58 engine is pretty awesome and the M3 handles well for a sedan with a high CG. For the money, the G80 is an exceptional sports sedan. It fills the void as a DD. The tech in the Bimmer is head & shoulders above the Porsche. One thing that I don’t like is not having AC control buttons (iD8). Porsche has that nailed.
As most will agree, nothing drives like a 911. When our last child finishes college, I’ll probably get into a 992.x TTS/TT. Sadly, Porsche is moving to a hybrid. I’ll withold my judgement until I see it. As always, first world problems!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2024, 09:46 AM   #75
Alpine300zhp
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 24 M4 Comp/24 X3 M40

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinGS View Post
"Gas mileage is not as bad as I recall the V8 M3"

I still have a V8 M3, and I can literally watch the needle move during aggressive driving.

So yeah, you've simply forgotten... The S58 in the G8X is wayyyyy more efficient, even when I'm driving like a bat out of hell.
I remember those days vividly. As much as I loved my E92 M3, doing 30k miles a year made it such that I couldn’t stand it anymore once I got to 18 months with the car and traded it for a 435 coupe which I hated and ended up trading that for a F82 which was great. Funny thing, the G82 fuel economy is even better than the F82 despite having about 80 more horsepower.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2024, 10:08 AM   #76
Bimmerfun82
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3, X7, iX

Garage List
24 BMW iXM60  [10.00]
24 BMW M3  [9.77]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine300zhp View Post
I remember those days vividly. As much as I loved my E92 M3, doing 30k miles a year made it such that I couldn’t stand it anymore once I got to 18 months with the car and traded it for a 435 coupe which I hated and ended up trading that for a F82 which was great. Funny thing, the G82 fuel economy is even better than the F82 despite having about 80 more horsepower.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinGS View Post
"Gas mileage is not as bad as I recall the V8 M3"

I still have a V8 M3, and I can literally watch the needle move during aggressive driving.

So yeah, you've simply forgotten... The S58 in the G8X is wayyyyy more efficient, even when I'm driving like a bat out of hell.
I remember the needle moving on my e93. Could get it confused with the oil temp. I think my lifetime average was 15.6. I’m getting 17.5 on my manual G80, which is about the same as our f80 manual comp. The ZF8 comp x I got about 18.
Appreciate 1
      04-29-2024, 12:57 PM   #77
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SexyRoger View Post
I felt no diff jumping form M3 to Cayenne.
As someone who owns an M3, two Cayennes (current and previous gen) and just sold his second 911, if you can't tell the difference between an M3 and a Cayenne, honestly, I really don't know where to begin. When I jump in my wife's car, I literally can't shut up for 10 minutes about how different they drive.

So...
Appreciate 2
bri10425944.50
      04-30-2024, 02:52 AM   #78
Jimjamz
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
As someone who owns an M3, two Cayennes (current and previous gen) and just sold his second 911, if you can't tell the difference between an M3 and a Cayenne, honestly, I really don't know where to begin. When I jump in my wife's car, I literally can't shut up for 10 minutes about how different they drive.

So...
I was jumping between the M3 Touring and the Macan Gen 3 GTS. I was preferring the Macan because PDK manual shift better than manual shifting the auto ZF8 and the soundtrack was better on the macan. It led me to sell the Macan and get the manual 992 T and my wife now drives the M3T. The M3 is a cruise missile but I prefer the soundtrack, steering, manual shifting and feel of the 911 in the corners. Maybe the 390 kg (850lb!) lighter weight is part of the reason? That said, awesome having the G81 to drive and as a daily it’s definitely the better option.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2024, 07:56 AM   #79
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjamz View Post
I was jumping between the M3 Touring and the Macan Gen 3 GTS. I was preferring the Macan because PDK manual shift better than manual shifting the auto ZF8 and the soundtrack was better on the macan. It led me to sell the Macan and get the manual 992 T and my wife now drives the M3T. The M3 is a cruise missile but I prefer the soundtrack, steering, manual shifting and feel of the 911 in the corners. Maybe the 390 kg (850lb!) lighter weight is part of the reason? That said, awesome having the G81 to drive and as a daily it’s definitely the better option.
I mean, they are both wonderful cars for what they do. I sold my 911 because I didn't want to deal with the compromises I had to put up with it as a daily driver...number one being the lack of passenger space and the ability to run around with kids and gear. That same reason rules out a Macan for me. Believe it or not with me being 6'2", my son being 6'5", my wife being 5'10" and my daughter almost 5'7", we don't fit in a Macan. At all. Even with my daughter behind me, I have to move up and with my son behind my wife, she has to move up to the point where she is pretty uncomfortable and my son still has his knees jammed into the seatback. Somehow, the G80 is far more comfortable for us.

All cars are compromises. Every single one. Finding the one with the attributes that best fit your wants / needs / use case with the fewest amount of drawbacks is ultimately a very personal decision. A 911 and a G81 is a extremely balanced pair. About the only thing you're missing between them somehow is a soft ride. Even the G8X is on the firmer side. But again, compromises. As long as it works for you, it's awesome.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2024, 05:46 PM   #80
Jimjamz
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
I mean, they are both wonderful cars for what they do. I sold my 911 because I didn't want to deal with the compromises I had to put up with it as a daily driver...number one being the lack of passenger space and the ability to run around with kids and gear. That same reason rules out a Macan for me. Believe it or not with me being 6'2", my son being 6'5", my wife being 5'10" and my daughter almost 5'7", we don't fit in a Macan. At all. Even with my daughter behind me, I have to move up and with my son behind my wife, she has to move up to the point where she is pretty uncomfortable and my son still has his knees jammed into the seatback. Somehow, the G80 is far more comfortable for us.

All cars are compromises. Every single one. Finding the one with the attributes that best fit your wants / needs / use case with the fewest amount of drawbacks is ultimately a very personal decision. A 911 and a G81 is a extremely balanced pair. About the only thing you're missing between them somehow is a soft ride. Even the G8X is on the firmer side. But again, compromises. As long as it works for you, it's awesome.
A great summary of the comparisons. Luckily we’re smaller sized and the tallest in the immediate family is my 5’ 10” son so I can even fit some of our folk in the back of the 911 in a pinch . And the ride is an interesting point. We live in an area where the roads are pretty good. Sometimes we’re in other areas and we’re rattling around - I think if we did most of our driving there we’d have stuck to a SUV. I will say the G81 (vs F87 CS), as well as the 992 Touring have pretty good damping. It’s one of the reasons the T attracted me over the GT3.
Appreciate 1
Needsdecaf6643.50
      05-01-2024, 02:43 PM   #81
Juanero
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Pcars, TOYcars, M3Cx

Just hit 10k miles in my 23 m3xdc.

It's been fun. It just does so many things well (except sound good). I use it as my DD and take my kids to soccer practice. It's brutally quick where it needs to be. I've had no issues with it thus far.

In that same time frame, I've probably only put 1000 miles (or less) my my 991.2 gt3. It has cup 2s on it, so I learned not in the rain or when the temps were below 50, as they have warm up a lot or they break traction quickly.
If you had to have just 1 car, the m3 ticks a lot of boxes; I enjoy driving it more than my wife's '21 macan turbo.
A 911 makes a great 2nd (or 3rd or more) car as it is just a special treat when you get on it for fun.
Appreciate 3
      Yesterday, 08:30 AM   #82
sharkbite
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

I am fortunate enough to have both a 991 GT3 and G80 M3 Comp, also had a F82 M4 & 997 C4S and before that my E90 M3 + 996 C4S.

For as long as I can remember( I just turned 60 ) my appreciation for cars has always been about the pairing. Kind of like good wine & food, it makes the experience well rounded .

In the case of M cars and 911's , they compliment each other more than compete with each other imho ( though they absolutely do, no more so than ever with the G80 ) .

My GT3 is the most purposeful car I've ever owned and tracked, every drive is an event. It has a full Fabspeed valved exhaust which at 9K sounds pretty much like a GT3 Cup car, nuckin' futs. It also is corner balanced with full track alignment spec so it's only limit is me as a driver. With the Cup2's at temp it's absolute bliss if you're strapped in.

The M3 with Cup2's and Carbahn solid FSB mounts could give it a run for it's money but one would have to be supremely smooth to keep brakes and tires happy, but for a 4000lb car ,that performance never existed until now, so my G80 M3C thrills me as much as my GT3 full stop.

Also, I used to have a Cayman 981 GT4 with carbon buckets which I think are excellent, but the M Carbon buckets on my M3 as way better, fully adjustable and are heated. Just waiting on my Schroth harness kit so I can do my 1st track day with the M3.

Enjoy your G80 M's as I can't image M Division can continue making these cars full ICE as the 911 Hybrid is here . For me, the G80 M and its phenomenal S58 is the high-water mark for M cars. The experts are calling it the 2nd coming of the 2JZ in terms of potential and durability.

Cheers !
Appreciate 5
      Yesterday, 09:05 AM   #83
White340XDriveInCt
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 Tanz M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkbite View Post
For as long as I can remember( I just turned 60 ) my appreciation for cars has always been about the pairing. Kind of like good wine & food, it makes the experience well rounded
Agreed, and that is certainly the plan (a GT3 to complement the G80). For now, we also have an X3M40, which is, of course, nothing at all similar to a GT3, but it works as the puppy shuttler and grocery-getter, and looks sweet with the 21-inch summer wheels. We also have a Ford F150 that I'm thinking of putting 25's and spinners on
Appreciate 1