Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board The Sports Lounge **2018 College Football Thread**

08-03-2018, 07:33 PM   #67
JamesWWIII
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
His satff, his decisions. It could have been the last straw. So what?
We get it, you’re a Buckeye homer...but to blindly defend a man who maintained a professional relationship for nearly a decade with another man whom he knew had a history of abusing his wife (at least once while she was pregnant) is pretty low. I don’t care how many other people knew, Meyer’s refusal to act until the story was about to blow up nationwide is inexcusable.

We are talking about someone in a position of power in which parents entrust him to teach their sons more than just the X’s and O’s of football, but supposedly how to become good men. How can he look any parent (especially those who also have daughters) in the eye from this point and claim to do that with any credibility?

Yeah, yeah...we know...not everything is black and white. You’ve run that cliche into the ground. But the fact remains that some things are, and spousal abuse is one of them. You can trot out all the examples of similar cases you like, I’d be embarrassed to have a man with this lack of character representing my alma mater, I don’t care how many games he won.

https://deadspin.com/urban-meyer-was...sti-1827843992

https://deadspin.com/urban-meyer-and...eve-1828097766
Appreciate 1
mookie45769.00
      08-03-2018, 07:43 PM   #68
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesWWIII View Post
We get it, you’re a Buckeye homer...but to blindly defend a man who maintained a professional relationship for nearly a decade with another man whom he knew had a history of abusing his wife (at least once while she was pregnant) is pretty low. I don’t care how many other people knew, Meyer’s refusal to act until the story was about to blow up nationwide is inexcusable.

We are talking about someone in a position of power in which parents entrust him to teach their sons more than just the X’s and O’s of football, but supposedly how to become good men. How can he look any parent (especially those who also have daughters) in the eye from this point and claim to do that with any credibility?

Yeah, yeah...we know...not everything is black and white. You’ve run that cliche into the ground. But the fact remains that some things are, and spousal abuse is one of them. You can trot out all the examples of similar cases you like, I’d be embarrassed to have a man with this lack of character representing my alma mater, I don’t care how many games he won.

https://deadspin.com/urban-meyer-was...sti-1827843992

https://deadspin.com/urban-meyer-and...eve-1828097766
If you want someone to be morally incorruptible, then you need to get the pope to coach your football team.
      08-03-2018, 09:24 PM   #69
JamesWWIII
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
If you want someone to be morally incorruptible, then you need to get the pope to coach your football team.
Oh, so there are only two possibilities for a college football coach, sleazeball or saint? No spectrum of morality in between, as exists for every other profession on the planet?

Now who is the one dealing in black/white binary thinking?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2018, 10:23 PM   #70
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDD31 View Post
Either that or the ol heart problems might crop up again and he’ll have to quit to spend more time with his family again.
The heart problems(aka Saban and Alabama).
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2018, 10:37 PM   #71
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
I expect Meyer / OSU still need to explain why Smith didn't get fired sooner if Meyer and OSU knew about the problem, since he was fired when the problem became widely reported. Either he deserved to be fired or he didn't. So Meyer / OSU may still look like someone covered up for Smith until it couldn't cover up any longer. On top of that, Meyer also didn't explain that he lied on media day until he was backed into a corner and needed to admit it. So I suspect more to come. Maybe OSU will find a sacrificial lamb to resolve the mess.
There is reason why this wasn't widely reported and why Smith wasn't fired until recently. Zach Smith is the grandson of Earle Bruce, old coach of Ohio St. Very early in Meyer's coaching career, he worked on Bruce's staff in 86 and 87. A long relationship formed. Well what do you know, Meyer put Bruce's grandson on the Ohio St staff after the two talked. Now they need to dig deeper, did that personal relationship help Smith maintain his job after multiple claims of spousal abuse. Also was Smith conveniently easier to fire because of Bruce's death just a couple months ago.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2018, 10:46 PM   #72
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Oh, so there are only two possibilities for a college football coach, sleazeball or saint? No spectrum of morality in between, as exists for every other profession on the planet?

Now who is the one dealing in black/white binary thinking?
Lmao, on the contrary... you're the one who wants a incorruptible person. I'm just saying, everyone is flawed. Urban did what he thought was the best at the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellrotm View Post
There is reason why this wasn't widely reported and why Smith wasn't fired until recently. Zach Smith is the grandson of Earle Bruce, old coach of Ohio St. Very early in Meyer's coaching career, he worked on Bruce's staff in 86 and 87. A long relationship formed. Well what do you know, Meyer put Bruce's grandson on the Ohio St staff after the two talked. Now they need to dig deeper, did that personal relationship help Smith maintain his job after multiple claims of spousal abuse. Also was Smith conveniently easier to fire because of Bruce's death just a couple months ago.

The personal relationship obviously helped Smith retain a job. And that was Urban's flaw, his loyalty.

My point is, he was in a lose lose situation. He is close to a flawed person and his employment was partially linked to how he treated this person. I cannot judge without being honest to myself. My best friend is flawed, he's sitting in jail right now as I type this...but he's still my friend. If I can help him get a job, I'll still put my reputation on the line to help him.
      08-03-2018, 10:55 PM   #73
JamesWWIII
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellrotm View Post
Meyer had a relationship with Smith before he was at OSU. Smith was a graduate assistant for Meyer at Florida from 2005-2009. In fact, that’s where the first documented incident involving Smith and his wife occurred.

https://sports.yahoo.com/urban-meyer...150707414.html
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2018, 11:03 PM   #74
JamesWWIII
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Lmao, on the contrary... you're the one who wants a incorruptible person.
Point out one single place where I stated such a thing.

No, what I want is a head coach with enough character not to embrace a win-at-any-cost mentality, and whose twisted idea of “loyalty” is to keep a known wife abuser on his staff. How you make the leap from that expectation to “incorruptible” is something you’ll have to explain to us.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2018, 11:58 PM   #75
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Point out one single place where I stated such a thing.

No, what I want is a head coach with enough character not to embrace a win-at-any-cost mentality, and whose twisted idea of “loyalty” is to keep a known wife abuser on his staff. How you make the leap from that expectation to “incorruptible” is something you’ll have to explain to us.
What you're not understanding is...Zach was not some random dude who apply via a job posting and was hired by Urban. Urban saw him as part of his family. He personally did family counseling with Zach and Courtney during the 2009 incident. Zach's grandfather gave Urban his first coaching job. And complicating it all, everyone is in the Ohio State family.

That's loyalty. Put yourself in Urban's shoes, and suppose Zach is your brother in law or someone you've known for literally 30+ years... what would YOU have done?

You're telling me unequivocally you would have fired him in 2009? 2015? If you're telling me you expected him to do it from YOUR perspective?

Glass houses man, you're just living in glass house if that's what you expected.
      08-04-2018, 12:38 AM   #76
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
What you're not understanding is...Zach was not some random dude who apply via a job posting and was hired by Urban. Urban saw him as part of his family. He personally did family counseling with Zach and Courtney during the 2009 incident. Zach's grandfather gave Urban his first coaching job. And complicating it all, everyone is in the Ohio State family.

That's loyalty. Put yourself in Urban's shoes, and suppose Zach is your brother in law or someone you've known for literally 30+ years... what would YOU have done?
I would have fired him after 2009 counseling didn’t work, since he was still strangling his wife. If Zach was my brother in law and he was choking my sister, I would beat the sh*t out of him...then fire him.
Appreciate 1
JamesWWIII2932.00
      08-04-2018, 01:10 AM   #77
JamesWWIII
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieGrüneHölle View Post
I would have fired him after 2009 counseling didn’t work, since he was still strangling his wife. If Zach was my brother in law and he was choking my sister, I would beat the sh*t out of him...then fire him.
Bingo.

This "loyalty" garbage is just smoke from a Buckeye homer who doesn't care about anything other than wins and losses. I guarantee you that if Coach Cryer drops a couple of games to Big Blue or doesn't win the Big 10 title for a couple seasons in a row, this same guy won't be boasting about loyalty, he'll be howling for a firing. Fans like this are a major reason why big-time college football and basketball have the problems they do right now. Zero accountability for their own as long as wins are piling up, and if a problem does occur, simply deflect and deny. It's truly pathetic.

Oh, and I wonder what Urban would've done if a man dating one of his daughters was even accused of such a crime? Doubt he'd have been looking to give that guy a second chance, no matter how long he'd known him or how big a "part of the family" he was. I don't know how Meyer can even look his own wife and daughters in the eye at this point. What a scumbag.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2018, 12:00 PM   #78
mookie45
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 AW 340i M-Sport

May be time...
Attached Images

08-04-2018, 12:18 PM   #79
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieGrüneHölle View Post
And what if this was your brother?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2018, 12:19 PM   #80
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Bingo.

This "loyalty" garbage is just smoke from a Buckeye homer who doesn't care about anything other than wins and losses. I guarantee you that if Coach Cryer drops a couple of games to Big Blue or doesn't win the Big 10 title for a couple seasons in a row, this same guy won't be boasting about loyalty, he'll be howling for a firing. Fans like this are a major reason why big-time college football and basketball have the problems they do right now. Zero accountability for their own as long as wins are piling up, and if a problem does occur, simply deflect and deny. It's truly pathetic.

Oh, and I wonder what Urban would've done if a man dating one of his daughters was even accused of such a crime? Doubt he'd have been looking to give that guy a second chance, no matter how long he'd known him or how big a "part of the family" he was. I don't know how Meyer can even look his own wife and daughters in the eye at this point. What a scumbag.
Everyone talks big in their glass houses...lol.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2018, 12:23 PM   #81
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookie45 View Post
May be time...
FSU fans posting Gators memes? Plus your starting QB was the campus predator...glass houses

Last edited by Flying Ace; 08-04-2018 at 12:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2018, 03:05 PM   #82
JamesWWIII
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Everyone talks big in their glass houses...lol.
That the best you got, Suckeye? Lol.

You need new material, dude. Defending guys who defend wife beaters isn’t a great look.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2018, 04:27 PM   #83
mookie45
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 AW 340i M-Sport

You should be in real estate.
Attached Images

08-04-2018, 07:10 PM   #84
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
That the best you got, Suckeye? Lol.

You need new material, dude. Defending guys who defend wife beaters isn’t a great look.
Now we suck huh? What piece of shit football program do you support? It's so easy to tell everyone else they suck without disclosing your loyalties, bc we should have a discussion about the saints that coaches and plays on your team.

Last edited by Flying Ace; 08-04-2018 at 07:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2018, 07:47 PM   #85
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Buckeyes suck bro! Dawgs man the dawgs
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2018, 10:43 PM   #86
JamesWWIII
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Now we suck huh? What piece of shit football program do you support? It's so easy to tell everyone else they suck without disclosing your loyalties, bc we should have a discussion about the saints that coaches and plays on your team.
Would be a short discussion, because none of the coaches on my team have been accused of spousal abuse, and our head coach has never maintained a 9-year working relationship with an assistant who has. See, my university and our football program value certain things above winning. But we get it, you’re a typical Suckeye fan who couldn’t care less about how many pregnant women get choked out by your team’s coaches, just as long as you get to keep bragging about success on the field. You’re no better than the Penn State fans who rallied behind Joe Paterno.

Despicable. But please, keep trying to deflect attention from the misdeeds at OSU by constantly bringing up other programs. You forgot to mention glass houses in your latest poor attempt at a defense.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2018, 11:07 PM   #87
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Lol, okay. I noticed that those that are most critical are those who has never even posted in this thread and actually talked about football until this Meyer thing came up.

It must be fun being an arm chair QB from your position as a bottom dweller. Everyone who's winning must be cheaters or liars or whatever from your high and holy position am I right?
      08-04-2018, 11:14 PM   #88
JamesWWIII
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Everyone who's winning must be cheaters or liars or whatever from your high and holy position am I right?
Let's see...deflect, deflect, deflect. Yep, you haven't learned a new trick yet.

If you've got a girlfriend, wife, daughter or any combination of the above, I feel truly sorry for those women. Much the same way I feel pity for the women in Urban Meyer's life. It has to be difficult to try to explain to them why winning college football games is of greater importance than the physical and psychological well-being of a woman.

But hey, GO BUCKEYES! Right?
Appreciate 0