Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics Suspension / Chassis / Brakes Adaptive suspension and speed bumps

11-20-2019, 12:23 PM   #1
blepper
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 318

Adaptive suspension and speed bumps

hello I have my car for 6 months and have from beginning problems with adaptive suspension. On long bumps you feel an extra shock when you leave the bump or when you go up the bump. Specially in low speed. I complain by the dealer and they test it and agree. If driving in a curve so both wheels are not on the same time on the bump you feel nothing. They try sw update what don't help. Test also a car from their self has same issue. Are there more people? Is it solved by one of you?

On normal roads no issues and you feel I direct reactions on the road so great car.

330i with run flat and 19" wheels.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 12:36 PM   #2
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by blepper View Post
hello I have my car for 6 months and have from beginning problems with adaptive suspension. On long bumps you feel an extra shock when you leave the bump or when you go up the bump. Specially in low speed. I complain by the dealer and they test it and agree. If driving in a curve so both wheels are not on the same time on the bump you feel nothing. They try sw update what don't help. Test also a car from their self has same issue. Are there more people? Is it solved by one of you?

On normal roads no issues and you feel I direct reactions on the road so great car.

I think what you're feeling is the movement of the rear sub chassis on its bushings. I've felt the same thing in my F30 since day one.
      11-20-2019, 12:56 PM   #3
blepper
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

I think what you're feeling is the movement of the rear sub chassis on its bushings. I've felt the same thing in my F30 since day one.[/QUOTE]

Did you try to solve this because specially for people in the back it feels nok
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 01:36 PM   #4
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Quote:

I think what you're feeling is the movement of the rear sub chassis on its bushings. I've felt the same thing in my F30 since day one.
Did you try to solve this because specially for people in the back it feels nok[/QUOTE]

No. As you state; the car feels normal except when you go over speed bumps. Further, I don't think anyone but me feels it. I've never had anyone comment on it.
      12-20-2019, 01:36 PM   #5
NeverEnough007
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i & 1991 Mtechnic E30

Quote:

When I pull backwards out of my driveway, the front wheels throw in an extra clunk as they drop off the 1/4 transition to the road. It is a very smooth transition and the clunk is not natural at all. I believe the system that creates the fake steering feedback is the cause. Thinks something big is happening due to the suspension travel and throws in a clunk. It is odd.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2019, 03:35 AM   #6
blepper
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverEnough007 View Post
Quote:

When I pull backwards out of my driveway, the front wheels throw in an extra clunk as they drop off the 1/4 transition to the road. It is a very smooth transition and the clunk is not natural at all. I believe the system that creates the fake steering feedback is the cause. Thinks something big is happening due to the suspension travel and throws in a clunk. It is odd.
Quote:
Quote:

And do not feel on the back springs?
What I feel is the springs because people in the back feel the most. What do you mean with fake steering feedback. Is that an option with the adaptive suspension? Did you take Action because reaction here is we have no other complains at BMW.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 12:19 PM   #7
blepper
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

What I feel is the springs because people in the back feel the most. What do you mean with fake steering feedback. Is that an option with the adaptive suspension? Did you take Action because reaction here is we have no other complains at BMW.
Are their people we have active sustension with RF but 18" ISO 19".
Do they have the same isue? Or An other solution?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 03:57 PM   #8
CrownRoyal79
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Are you saying the car bottoms out on the speed bump? Comfort mode may be too soft. Try going over the bump on sport mode.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2020, 03:48 AM   #9
blepper
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownRoyal79 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Are you saying the car bottoms out on the speed bump? Comfort mode may be too soft. Try going over the bump on sport mode.
No is the feeling is more that's spring has an extra jump what you do not expect. The people on the backseat will come from their seats. In in front you feel it also So Bottom Do not hit the street.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2020, 04:46 AM   #10
BMW_Belgier
Lieutenant Colonel
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: E92 335xi n55

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

18 Inch here and no probs 🙄
      01-26-2020, 04:51 AM   #11
blepper
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Belgier View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

18 RF and active sustension (M sport?)=> no issue? Then i must ask the dealer for a test. Which brand do you have.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 02:20 AM   #12
BMW_Belgier
Lieutenant Colonel
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

18 RF and active sustension (M sport?)=> no issue? Then i must ask the dealer for a test. Which brand do you have.
18 RF Sottozero and AS.

Rims are 796 M. Bought them extra for my winter setup wich is staggered.
      01-27-2020, 03:51 AM   #13
blepper
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

18 RF Sottozero and AS.

Thanks

And you have a m-style bottom?

If so i go to the dealer tot chech if it is possible to check that's combination on my car.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 08:29 AM   #14
BMW_Belgier
Lieutenant Colonel
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

18 RF Sottozero and AS.

Thanks

If so i go to the dealer tot chech if it is possible to check that's combination on my car.
Wait a minute...

I have an M340i...

Sorry missed the part that you have an 330i...
blepper12.00
      02-25-2020, 01:21 PM   #15
blepper
Enlisted Member
Rep

Extra test

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

18 RF Sottozero and AS.

Thanks

Wait a minute...

I have an M340i...

Sorry missed the part that you have an 330i...
Today 19" changed by 18" issue still availble ☹️
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 12:28 AM   #16
projekt7
hoonigan
Rep
Drives: 17' M3 ZCP

Picked up my M340i w/ adaptive suspension a couple days ago. Noticed the same extra motion going over speed bumps. After the wheels have gone over the speed bump, the suspension 1) compresses smoothly, 2) rebounds smoothly, and then 3) compresses jaggedly again before settling. The third motion is the issue here.

Initially I thought it was just underdamped, leading to the unwanted third motion, but it's not. The third motion feels too sudden - almost like the electronic dampers are overreacting near the end of the rebound stroke and trying to slow it down too abruptly.

I'm on software version 03.2020.30

Last edited by projekt7; 03-19-2020 at 10:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 01:58 PM   #17
blepper
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by projekt7 View Post
Picked up my M340i w/ adaptive suspension a couple days ago. Noticed the same extra motion going over speed bumps. After the wheels have gone over the speed bump, the suspension 1) compresses smoothly, 2) rebounds smoothly, and then 3) compresses jaggedly again before settling. The third motion is the issue here.

Initially I thought it was just underdamped, leading to the unwanted third motion, but it's not. The third motion feels too sudden - almost like the electronic dampers are overreacting near the end the rebound stroke and trying to slow it down too abruptly.

Thanks for Your Information. If you have a Solution let me know. As mention changing 19" to 18" is not a solution.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2020, 07:11 AM   #18
TheRetroGuy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i xDrive mSport

Quote:

Initially I thought it was just underdamped, leading to the unwanted third motion, but it's not. The third motion feels too sudden - almost like the electronic dampers are overreacting near the end of the rebound stroke and trying to slow it down too abruptly.

My car (330i xdrive M-sport w/adaptive) doesn't do this. My last car (Lexus 3IS) which had the F-sport suspension (which was fixed and not active or adaptive), began doing this the moment I switched from Michelin Pilot 4 AS tires to Continental DWS (can't explain that one it just did).

Questions:

- Does it do the exact same thing in comfort mode?
- Is this a taller/narrower speed bump like is found in parking lots, or a flatter/wider hump designed for slower residential streets?
Appreciate 1
blepper12.00
      03-21-2020, 01:10 PM   #19
blepper
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRetroGuy View Post
Quote:

My car (330i xdrive M-sport w/adaptive) doesn't do this. My last car (Lexus 3IS) which had the F-sport suspension (which was fixed and not active or adaptive), began doing this the moment I switched from Michelin Pilot 4 AS tires to Continental DWS (can't explain that one it just did).

Questions:

- Is this a taller/narrower speed bump like is found in parking lots, or a flatter/wider hump designed for slower residential streets?
Yes Also in comfort mode
On the flatter/wider hump designed for slower residential streets
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2020, 03:12 PM   #20
Denis93
Russia
Rep
Drives: 2019 320d xDrive

Hi guys! Driving on adaptive m-sport suspension since October.

I also have this issue with 'extra shock' when I leave speed bumps.
If I go 12-15 km/h over the speed bump - everything is fine.
But if I go slightly faster (20 km/h or higher) - I feel this extra shock.

For me it feels like some kind of bug in the firmware.
I have 2 sets of tires: 19" non-RF and 17" RF - it does not matter, issue persists on both.

Someone on the forums told that updating firmware (suspension block, not iDrive, obviously) solved this issue.
Can anyone confirm this?
I am also curious if coding Comfort+ mode could help.

Thank you guys in advance!
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 12:22 AM   #21
projekt7
hoonigan
Rep
Drives: 17' M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRetroGuy View Post

Questions:

For me, it happens on both types of speed bumps. And the extra motion is more pronounced in comfort mode.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 06:32 AM   #22
blepper
Enlisted Member
Rep

for the people with the same issue

- did you make an official complain (dealer/BMW)
The dealer made a official complain for me

- what are the test you did
I try 18" iso 19" - no result

- when solved how?

Regards Bart
Appreciate 0