Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions EPA - 2021 330e gets 23 miles of all-electric range

04-19-2020, 02:23 PM   #45
mbanck
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E46 320ci, BMW F34 330dx

BMW will sell two of those and the development costs will be astronomic.
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN16388.00
      04-19-2020, 02:37 PM   #46
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.82]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 213e90n51 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Absolutely pathetic.

Bring out the 100% Electric 3er, this waiting is completely ridiculous.
Id only get it if it was a manual gearbox and electric. If it can simulate gear changes with a clutch and the electric motor powering up more after every gear shift then maybe ill get it. Also it should go more eco if i short shift it as well as use up the battery when i stay in gear longer and press the throttle more.
It will go from 0 mph to top speed using 1 gear.

Completely seamless power delivery.

And a reduction gear.

That's it.
You see thats not engaging enough after driving some manual transmission cars i want a electric car that will allow me to shift like 123456 with a H pattern gearbox even if it wont need it. It just adds to the fun of the bmw. It doesnt even need a transmission tunnel. Just a clutch pedal that acts like a module to activate the gear changes in a electric H pattern gearbox in the center console. The electric motor will be synced with it and hve power accordingly to it. Bmw will get more sales like this for people who want manual like le.
I'm sure you'd love the constant pull of electric torque... It's actually ideal to have one of each.

And the Electric car can offsets the carbon foot print of the petrol ⛽️ car.

I drive my Electric car for my daily driver.

I drive my M2 for fun and weekends.
      04-19-2020, 02:49 PM   #47
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Absolutely pathetic.

Id only get it if it was a manual gearbox and electric. If it can simulate gear changes with a clutch and the electric motor powering up more after every gear shift then maybe ill get it. Also it should go more eco if i short shift it as well as use up the battery when i stay in gear longer and press the throttle more.

And a reduction gear.

That's it.
You see thats not engaging enough after driving some manual transmission cars i want a electric car that will allow me to shift like 123456 with a H pattern gearbox even if it wont need it. It just adds to the fun of the bmw. It doesnt even need a transmission tunnel. Just a clutch pedal that acts like a module to activate the gear changes in a electric H pattern gearbox in the center console. The electric motor will be synced with it and hve power accordingly to it. Bmw will get more sales like this for people who want manual like le.
If you want an engaging driving experience you're not going to find it with an EV. That's part of the problem.
      04-19-2020, 03:09 PM   #48
M3ditate
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: ALL of them

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ditate View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
People criticising this cars range are missing the point of this car.

It's not an EV.

It's a PHEV.

It looks to give a user the best of both worlds. Many users successfully rarely fill this model with fuel unless they have long commutes. However on those longer journeys it gives you zero range anxiety. It's design is the stepping stone into full EV.
Agreed... It's a great stepping stone, but it has ridiculous range for a PHEV.
What are the other plug in hybrids that have better all electric range from a luxury manufacturer?
Sadly not much besides Mercedes. Regardless it's still quite pathetic.

The complexity of BMW's hybrid system and long term maintenance is not idea.

Might as well make it an EV with a REx like the i3 until they get a proper battery supplier.
Which Mercedes?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2020, 03:21 PM   #49
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Which Mercedes?
Mercedes doesn't offer a plug-in yet in the states, either that or I have yet to see one. They've been teasing a GLC plug-in for a while now, but at this point its been so long almost as if they forgot. Only other luxury brand with plug ins is pretty much Volvo, and Audi is bringing some PHEV's to the states possibly.
///M TOWN16388.00
      04-19-2020, 06:16 PM   #50
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.82]
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuastein55 View Post
Quote:
Which Mercedes?
Mercedes doesn't offer a plug-in yet in the states, either that or I have yet to see one. They've been teasing a GLC plug-in for a while now, but at this point its been so long almost as if they forgot. Only other luxury brand with plug ins is pretty much Volvo, and Audi is bringing some PHEV's to the states possibly.
BMW better get cracking.

They are coming...

https://www.greencarreports.com/news...by-end-of-2020
      04-19-2020, 06:29 PM   #51
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.82]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Face Pony Soldier View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Absolutely pathetic.

And a reduction gear.

That's it.
If you want an engaging driving experience you're not going to find it with an EV. That's part of the problem.
I don't happen to agree.

You'd have to speed time driving one to understand.

I've owned 4 electric cars and they are definitely fun to drive.
      04-19-2020, 06:29 PM   #52
M3ditate
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: ALL of them

Quote:
Quote:
Which Mercedes?
I know, was just trying to get him to do some research before claims of "ridiculous and pathetic" range. Compared to....?
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25085.00
      04-20-2020, 11:40 AM   #53
Dog Face Pony Soldier
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Which Mercedes?
I know, was just trying to get him to do some research before claims of "ridiculous and pathetic" range. Compared to....?
My observation is nearly everything he posts relates to Tesla... and looking through Tesla glasses the range does look pathetic. That's the point I was making earlier in this thread. However, that's like a Ford F450 dually fan saying that a Model Y's towing capability is pathetic. It's comparing apples and oranges. This is a PHEV not an BEV. They have different design objectives. This vehicle serves a need.
      04-20-2020, 05:59 PM   #54
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.82]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Which Mercedes?
My observation is nearly everything he posts relates to Tesla... and looking through Tesla glasses the range does look pathetic. That's the point I was making earlier in this thread. However, that's like a Ford F450 dually fan saying that a Model Y's towing capability is pathetic. It's comparing apples and oranges. This is a PHEV not an BEV. They have different design objectives. This vehicle serves a need.
It is so pathetic you won't believe it.

You cannot Tow with a Model Y.
      04-20-2020, 07:02 PM   #55
Dog Face Pony Soldier
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Which Mercedes?
Nothing gets past you!

Hint: I was helping other people understand your opinion and perspective. I wasn't challenging it.
      04-20-2020, 07:08 PM   #56
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.82]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Which Mercedes?
Nothing gets past you!
Hint: I was helping other people understand your opinion and perspective. I wasn't challenging it.

Maybe lighten up

Everyone is so damn serious right now
      04-20-2020, 07:10 PM   #57
Dog Face Pony Soldier
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Maybe lighten up.

Everyone is so damn serious right now
Good advice for all.
      04-20-2020, 11:41 PM   #58
jwong77
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e

Garage List
I've driven the old 330e and I found it handled quite well. My complaint was the interior felt outdated, which is why I ended up choosing the 530e. I assume this car will be an improvement based on everything else I've heard about the g20 in general.

The ev only range is a bit disappointing, as I thought the expected range was supposed to be in the 30 mile range. For my purposes, this would have given me full ev on my commute to work. At 23, I'll have a few miles of gas operation. Still an improvement over the 530e which only gets me 14-16.
      04-21-2020, 12:00 AM   #59
dizx
Second Lieutenant
Thailand
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwong77 View Post
I've driven the old 330e and I found it handled quite well. My complaint was the interior felt outdated, which is why I ended up choosing the 530e. I assume this car will be an improvement based on everything else I've heard about the g20 in general.

The ev only range is a bit disappointing, as I thought the expected range was supposed to be in the 30 mile range. For my purposes, this would have given me full ev on my commute to work. At 23, I'll have a few miles of gas operation. Still an improvement over the 530e which only gets me 14-16.
No problems doing 34 miles on a single charge. Depends on where and how you drive. The interior is dated??
      04-21-2020, 04:10 AM   #60
jwong77
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizx View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwong77 View Post

No problems doing 34 miles on a single charge. Depends on where and how you drive. The interior is dated??
The interior on the OLD 330e was dated. The 530e was a lot newer design at the time.
      04-21-2020, 04:47 AM   #61
-Nick
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by sq86 View Post
This is pretty good and offers great flexibility. I just don't like the added weight since it wrecks the handling. I'm too critical of this compared to something like the gas variants. The MPG savings and initial cost isn't worth the performance loss and lower power.
Have you driven a G20 330e? Because the extra weight is barely noticeable and it actually handles pretty damn good all things considered

Also chiming in to say I regularly get 33-36 miles on journeys that include 90% motorway driving with little to no stopping.

My standard commute gets around 18 miles in the winter and 23 in warmer weather.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 09:56 AM   #62
sq86
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i E92 LMB

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Nick View Post
Quote:
This is pretty good and offers great flexibility. I just don't like the added weight since it wrecks the handling. I'm too critical of this compared to something like the gas variants. The MPG savings and initial cost isn't worth the performance loss and lower power.
Have you driven a G20 330e? Because the extra weight is barely noticeable and it actually handles pretty damn good all things considered

Also chiming in to say I regularly get 33-36 miles on journeys that include 90% motorway driving with little to no stopping.

My standard commute gets around 18 miles in the winter and 23 in warmer weather.
I haven't driven the G20 but I have driven the G30 variants so that's what I'm basing my opinions on. 20-30 miles in electric is great and usually not noticeable in daily driving but when you get out into the twistys you really feel the added weight. An X3 gas model handles better than the G30 e variant due to the added weight. It's just not worth the trade off to me but that's my personal taste. Some people will like it. I'd never want to do an Autocross or track day with one though but not everyone does that either.

BMW CCA Member# 481791
Current: 2013 E92 328i LMB/Saddle Brown (1 of 21 for E92 LCI in that combo), 2018 F31 330xi AW/Saddle Brown
Sold: 2011 1M BS/Black, 2008 E90 328xi AW/Beige, 2001 E46 330xi SG/Black
Appreciate 1
-Nick82.50
      04-21-2020, 11:04 AM   #63
-Nick
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330e

Quote:
I haven't driven the G20 but I have driven the G30 variants so that's what I'm basing my opinions on. 20-30 miles in electric is great and usually not noticeable in daily driving but when you get out into the twistys you really feel the added weight. An X3 gas model handles better than the G30 e variant due to the added weight. It's just not worth the trade off to me but that's my personal taste. Some people will like it. I'd never want to do an Autocross or track day with one though but not everyone does that either.
From what I've watched and read the improvement over the G30 is huge in terms of handling.

Of course it won't be the same as an ICE only G20 but the difference isn't night and day as it once was
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 01:15 AM   #64
ovesund
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: i4 eDrive40, i3 60Ah

I have a G20 330e and I must say that it's excellent for my driving habits, especially now in Corona times.
The range is enough for most of my driving and if not then I have the ICE so no range anxiety for me.
I filled the tank early February and have driven around 1600 miles with plenty left in the tank. I'm currently averaging around 240MPG.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25085.00
      04-22-2020, 04:26 PM   #65
Vogal
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G20 330E M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovesund View Post
I have a G20 330e and I must say that it's excellent for my driving habits, especially now in Corona times.
The range is enough for most of my driving and if not then I have the ICE so no range anxiety for me.
I filled the tank early February and have driven around 1600 miles with plenty left in the tank. I'm currently averaging around 240MPG.
Same.
Filled up the tank last March, 900 kms already done and still full.
Appreciate 1