Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics Retrofit HK, B&O sound system?

06-26-2020, 06:31 AM   #1
hottroc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

Retrofit HK, B&O sound system?

Hi, is it possible to retrofit the HK sound system, preferably in stages eg maybe the amp initially etc? Any tutorials about and parts list?

Also, in the UK they offered the option of a B&O sound upgrade. Does anyone know how this compares to the HK?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 06:52 AM   #2
del82
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by hottroc View Post
Hi, is it possible to retrofit the HK sound system, preferably in stages eg maybe the amp initially etc? Any tutorials about and parts list?

Also, in the UK they offered the option of a B&O sound upgrade. Does anyone know how this compares to the HK?
I'm sure it's possible.

I think B&O are no longer used by BMW. B&W (Bowers and Wilkins) is in the UK as the top of the range system. Not an option on the G20.

If it's was me, I would go aftermarket and find something better than HK. Retro will invalidate any warranty to do with the music system so might as well.

I've used these guys in the past: https://www.audiofile-incar.co.uk
      06-26-2020, 01:22 PM   #3
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:

Why?

A better, cheaper and simpler upgrade would be to add an aftermarket amp to power a pair of aftermarket underseat woofers -which is fundamentally what you are doing with an OEM HK retrofit.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 03:18 PM   #4
hottroc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by del82 View Post
I think B&O are no longer used by BMW. B&W (Bowers and Wilkins) is in the UK as the top of the range system. Not an option on the G20.
Seems you're right, but it was an option when I ordered my car in Dec 2019. Not sure if it was when my car was built in Feb 2020?

Quote:
If it's was me, I would go aftermarket and find something better than HK. Retro will invalidate any warranty to do with the music system so might as well.
Well I'm thinking of integration, ease of fitting in normal positions etc.
Things like the speed-dependent volume adjustment. The ambient lights on some speakers, maybe? The equaliser in the iDrive Etc....Just thought I'd rather have something made for the car and totally compatible and integrated. Also I'm no expert on car audio (just want it to sound really good and have the power to do so), so wouldn't know what to pick whereas if I get the specific items made to work together in the car I'll know it'll be ok.

Just to be clear I don't have the budget or the need for it to be the best stereo system ever. Just that the standard system in my car doesn't seem powerful enough and the bass is kinda woolly. Mid/highs don't seem too bad but nothing special, maybe more speakers would help.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2020, 05:53 PM   #5
del82
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Seems you're right, but it was an option when I ordered my car in Dec 2019. Not sure if it was when my car was built in Feb 2020?

Quote:
Well I'm thinking of integration, ease of fitting in normal positions etc.
Things like the speed-dependent volume adjustment. The ambient lights on some speakers, maybe? The equaliser in the iDrive Etc....Just thought I'd rather have something made for the car and totally compatible and integrated. Also I'm no expert on car audio (just want it to sound really good and have the power to do so), so wouldn't know what to pick whereas if I get the specific items made to work together in the car I'll know it'll be ok.

Just to be clear I don't have the budget or the need for it to be the best stereo system ever. Just that the standard system in my car doesn't seem powerful enough and the bass is kinda woolly. Mid/highs don't seem too bad but nothing special, maybe more speakers would help.
B&O was definitely not an option on the G20 in the UK. I ordered mine around the same time as yours. And only on the top of the range B&W system do you get the lights in the speaker on a BMW. Which I think is 5 series and above.

Improving the audio is an expensive job whatever you do if you can't do it yourself. And there isn't a BMW approved retrofit like there used to be on the previous series.

You'll have to source the bits or find an expert to copy the BMW set up if you want like for like. That will no doubt be more expensive than a decent aftermarket set up. Adding more speakers won't help either because the amp will need upgrading to power them properly.

A quality aftermarket option will still utilise the idrive settings, speed dependant volume etc. What it does is upgrade the hardware and adds more power. Doesn't impact the idrive.

I had an M140i with basic sound. Wasn't great. Went after market starting with speakers and adding the tweeters in the door like HK and then sorting the amp. Visually you would never know. The sound was a vast improvement however.
      07-01-2020, 04:29 PM   #6
hottroc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
B&O was definitely not an option on the G20 in the UK. I ordered mine around the same time as yours.
I'm pretty sure it was cos I was considering it. I'll try and find the brochure. Maybe it changed around that time, unless it was something specific to my dealer which I doubt.

Quote:
And only on the top of the range B&W system do you get the lights in the speaker on a BMW. Which I think is 5 series and above.
If you view the thread about changing ambient light colours there is a pic in there of a 3-series with lights in the speakers but they might be aftermarket.

Quote:
Improving the audio is an expensive job whatever you do if you can't do it yourself.
Yep, DIY job for me.

Quote:
And there isn't a BMW approved retrofit like there used to be on the previous series.
So retrofitting a system BMW already fit must be approved by definition.

Quote:
You'll have to source the bits or find an expert to copy the BMW set up if you want like for like. .. Adding more speakers won't help either because the amp will need upgrading to power them properly.
...hence my original question, and I was meaning the amp too.

Quote:
A quality aftermarket option will still utilise the idrive settings, speed dependant volume etc. What it does is upgrade the hardware and adds more power. Doesn't impact the idrive.
Ah ok I didn't realise that. Then it's just a matter of fitment, and suitability.

Quote:
I had an M140i with basic sound. Wasn't great. Went after market starting with speakers and adding the tweeters in the door like HK and then sorting the amp. Visually you would never know. The sound was a vast improvement however.
So what did you go with?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 11:42 AM   #7
del82
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
B&O was definitely not an option on the G20 in the UK. I ordered mine around the same time as yours.
I'm pretty sure it was cos I was considering it. I'll try and find the brochure. Maybe it changed around that time, unless it was something specific to my dealer which I doubt.

Quote:
And only on the top of the range B&W system do you get the lights in the speaker on a BMW. Which I think is 5 series and above.
If you view the thread about changing ambient light colours there is a pic in there of a 3-series with lights in the speakers but they might be aftermarket.

Quote:
Improving the audio is an expensive job whatever you do if you can't do it yourself.
Yep, DIY job for me.

Quote:
And there isn't a BMW approved retrofit like there used to be on the previous series.
So retrofitting a system BMW already fit must be approved by definition.

Quote:
You'll have to source the bits or find an expert to copy the BMW set up if you want like for like. .. Adding more speakers won't help either because the amp will need upgrading to power them properly.
...hence my original question, and I was meaning the amp too.

Quote:
Ah ok I didn't realise that. Then it's just a matter of fitment, and suitability.

Quote:
So what did you go with?
B&O - I can't see any reference to this in any brochure I have. I ticked every option in my M340 bar laser lights and HK was the only audio option.

B&O is the Audi version to HK.

I've sat in a 7 series with the lights in the speakers - made by B&W. Not available in G20.

Re retrofit HK. Sadly I learnt that just because you can source all the bits for HK and install, it doesn't mean BMW will accept it. There used to be an alpine retrofit system years ago that if BMW fitted then all was ok. BMW won't retrofit HK so won't cover the warranty. I asked a couple of dealers at the time.

As far as I know in the UK there isn't an official BMW installed retro available for the G20.

Anyway all that doesn't matter. You can install anything you like nowadays. And you'd be unlucky to have a warranty claim on audio. I was just saying that if you are going to install aftermarket, there are better than HK. And probably much cheaper.

In my old car I went focal speakers and installed tweeters in the doors with audison amp so it all ran independently. Having sat in a HK car at the time it was better sounding. Sound proofing the doors also made a huge difference. And I just think the tweeters in the doors made the cabin look more finished.

However it wasn't cheap and in all honesty I would have been just fine with HK which was less than half the cost from factory. I'm doing nothing to my M340 HK audio.
      10-05-2020, 05:57 AM   #8
AlexxZeman
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 320iX

Bumping thread up ))
I have a Hi-fi(676) and would like to upgrade. Looking into H/K setup since it should work "bolt on" and will be 100% ok to work with MGU. Now if you have MGU you can't just add an aftermarket variant since headunit communicates with amplifier here via ethernet protocol which at the moment has zero options to upgrade.

Last edited by AlexxZeman; 10-05-2020 at 06:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 01:47 PM   #9
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexxZeman View Post
Bumping thread up ))
I have a Hi-fi(676) and would like to upgrade. Looking into H/K setup since it should work "bolt on" and will be 100% ok to work with MGU. Now if you have MGU you can't just add an aftermarket variant since headunit communicates with amplifier here via ethernet protocol which at the moment has zero options to upgrade.
Sadly the way BMW have headed is that any modification is likely to void warranty. For example, adding your own coding using a respectable app will void the electrical warranty. An aftermarket (non-approved exhaust) will void the exhaust/emissions warranty. The list goes on. Heaven forbid you had an iDrive issue and it required replacement. You'd be lucky to get goodwill!

We all know that retrofitting the HK will not blow the car up. Unfortunately, BMW will view this as an unauthorised modification.

If you're comfortable with that. You can outdo the HK a million times over. Here are some ideas:

https://www.johnkleisaudio.co.uk/home/bmw-upgrades/

Probably cheaper than retrofitting the HK.

Note these are merely ideas and there are many other brands out there which achieve the same. You don't need to add a DSP but if you wanted to you wouldn't regret it.

My suggestion is: replace door speakers. Add or replace tweeters. Replace under seats. Amplify it all. Want bass? Add a 10" subwoofer in the back.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 02:47 PM   #10
AlexxZeman
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul_Glo View Post
Sadly the way BMW have headed is that any modification is likely to void warranty. For example, adding your own coding using a respectable app will void the electrical warranty. An aftermarket (non-approved exhaust) will void the exhaust/emissions warranty. The list goes on. Heaven forbid you had an iDrive issue and it required replacement. You'd be lucky to get goodwill!

We all know that retrofitting the HK will not blow the car up. Unfortunately, BMW will view this as an unauthorised modification.

If you're comfortable with that. You can outdo the HK a million times over. Here are some ideas:

https://www.johnkleisaudio.co.uk/home/bmw-upgrades/

Probably cheaper than retrofitting the HK.

Note these are merely ideas and there are many other brands out there which achieve the same. You don't need to add a DSP but if you wanted to you wouldn't regret it.

My suggestion is: replace door speakers. Add or replace tweeters. Replace under seats. Amplify it all. Want bass? Add a 10" subwoofer in the back.
Fair enough ))
That's always a question should you keep warranty and expect it will cover everything that might happened to your car, or have fun and fine tune it as much as you want.

I think one better keep main parts such as engine and gearbox untouched as long as possible, but upgrading brakes or audio system shouldn't be a problem.

Why I was thinking about HK, because I was told there is no option for aftermarket dsp/amplifier if your stock amp is connected via ethernet, as mine is, and thats the only way to get good sound quality.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 03:44 PM   #11
Benjamin_Nicholas
BEAST? ... How dare you.
Rep
Drives: BMW, Porsche

B&O was never an option on this car. I wish it were, as the Audi I had years ago with a top B&O system was incredible.
2023 BMW X5M
2020 BMW M340i (retired)
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 05:05 AM   #12
AlexxZeman
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin_Nicholas View Post
B&O was never an option on this car. I wish it were, as the Audi I had years ago with a top B&O system was incredible.
It was and it is, but not for everyone and not everywhere ))
https://www.facebook.com/EurotunerSd...8143024208291/
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 06:15 PM   #13
Benjamin_Nicholas
BEAST? ... How dare you.
Rep
Drives: BMW, Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexxZeman View Post
It was and it is, but not for everyone and not everywhere ))
https://www.facebook.com/EurotunerSd...8143024208291/
I said B&O, not B&W. Big difference.
2023 BMW X5M
2020 BMW M340i (retired)
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 10:12 AM   #14
AlexxZeman
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin_Nicholas View Post
I said B&O, not B&W. Big difference.
You are right, G20 option was B&W, not B&O
Though I'm not sure what would be the difference in case of G20.
Appreciate 0