Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum Order Tracking Thread - Stages, Dates and Data Points

10-20-2020, 05:31 PM   #1563
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by its_jacobli View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer006 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by eforty6_m3 View Post
Haha, hey, sucks you had to wait so long (I'm at like 4 months, myself), but only ONE MORE DAY!!!
Wow 4 months???? I was thinking 3 months is already a long wait. How many days did it actually take from the day production got completed until you received your car?

Reason i'm asking is I placed an order for my car on 12Sep & Production started on 15Sep and completed on 30Sep. From 01Oct until now the status of my car is Ready for Transportation (but in actual the car is physically on the Port waiting for the Ship).
The production itself is no longer than a week. "Ready for transport" was a painful stage as it took more than three weeks. Once it is in transport, there's another 20 days or so to reach the dealership depending on where you live and which VPC the vehicle is going to be drop off at.
Damn is waiting at the port in Mexico 2-3 weeks normal? My car started production today, my previous car was a ~2 week wait at Bremerhaven but that was unusually long.

Last edited by xlover; 10-22-2020 at 08:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 05:39 PM   #1564
mf44
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 iX 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlover View Post
Damn is waiting at the port in Mexico 2-3
Weeks normal? My car started production today, my previous car was a ~2 week wait at Bremerhaven but that was unusually long.
Yep, it's about par for the course right now.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 06:17 PM   #1565
cc009
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i X drive

I contacted bmw genius and they gave me an ETA of the 24th for my car to be delivered to the dealership and said it's possible it could be a day or two earlier than there estimate as my car just was processed today. They even had the name of carrier that will be transporting car. Pretty helpful as my dealer didn't give me that info. So if you guys haven't already I'd contact them as they should have some info. GL to everyone else!
Appreciate 1
mf44488.50
      10-20-2020, 06:56 PM   #1566
nikeetz
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpurnell View Post
For those waiting for a ship from Altamira to Baltimore, the next scheduled ship is the Freedom. It will arrive in Altamira early tomorrow morning and leave around midnight tomorrow night. Arrives in Baltimore on 11/1, with stops in Brunswick and Charleston along the way. It's a Wallenius ship so the cargo can likely be tracked on their site.
Hey, where do you find your info on these ships? I was checking on marinetraffic.com and can't locate that info. I'm in NY, I hope we will be on the same ship since we missed that Friday one.

I just checked Wallenius site....seems like this boat only goes to Baltimore direct. Unless they unload my car there onto a truck dont think I will be on this one as well.

Last edited by nikeetz; 10-20-2020 at 07:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 07:41 PM   #1567
mf44
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 iX 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc009 View Post
I contacted bmw genius and they gave me an ETA of the 24th for my car to be delivered to the dealership and said it's possible it could be a day or two earlier than there estimate as my car just was processed today. They even had the name of carrier that will be transporting car. Pretty helpful as my dealer didn't give me that info. So if you guys haven't already I'd contact them as they should have some info. GL to everyone else!
Thanks for this tip; I just called the Genius hotline and got some additional info on my projected VPC departure and dealer arrival dates. I hope they can stick to the schedule because, if so, it would mean it only takes 5 days at VPC to get the M Performance parts added!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 09:35 PM   #1568
bap340i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340I

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeetz View Post
Hey, where do you find your info on these ships? I was checking on marinetraffic.com and can't locate that info. I'm in NY, I hope we will be on the same ship since we missed that Friday one.

I just checked Wallenius site....seems like this boat only goes to Baltimore direct. Unless they unload my car there onto a truck dont think I will be on this one as well.
I was bored so looked through this thread to find the common carrier names, and found that most are either RCC, Wallenius, or K-Line. I assumed that BMW wasn't showing up at the dock in Altamira trying to charter a RORO for the week. I figured out there were 5 ships that would go from Altamira to at least near Baltimore after my car was built. I didn't really pay much attention to Newark as I knew my car would go to Baltimore (port location on Vehicle Inquiry from dealer). Your best bet for Newark is the Polaris Highway, leaving Altamira on 10/29 and getting to Newark on 11/5. The RCC ships seem to take a long route and the WW and K-line seem to be faster. This is the K-line schedule that includes Newark for the next few weeks.

My last two BMW's were European Delivery and I found it fascinating to find what ship you were on (Maersk at the time I think, maybe WW) and track it from the day it was loaded. At that time most of the ports had live webcams so you could see the ship as it left Bremerhaven and eventually arrived in Newark. This process from Mexico seems way more disconnected than it did from Germany.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 1-1_europe-trans_atlantic_schedule.pdf (94.9 KB, 121 views)
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 09:43 PM   #1569
bap340i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlover View Post
Damn is waiting at the port in Mexico 2-3
Weeks normal? My car started production today, my previous car was a ~2 week wait at Bremerhaven but that was unusually long.
In Germany, if a train is supposed to leave the station at 10:55, it leaves at 10:55. In Mexico, if a train is supposed to leave the station at 10:55, it might be early, might be late, but it will never leave at 10:55. I think getting cars from San Luis Potosi to the US is a work in process for BMW. Besides the rail and truck logistics within Mexico, they have had to work around multiple Gulf of Mexico storms. I would think the process will get better as the year goes on.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 03:31 PM   #1570
rcz22
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 M3 6MT

I just called BMW Genius (today is the 2 week mark for mine sitting in "ready to transport" and I'm antsy lol) and they did have an update.

For reference my order was submitted on 9/10, and it went through production and got to ready to transport on 10/7. They were able to inform me that my car is on the Grand Champion which departed yesterday. With an estimated 12days until it arrives at the Port in New Jersey. So if any others have similar order dates perhaps we're on the same boat!

Not sure how to track this as you guys have been doing, each time I look at the vessel tracker it has the grand champion ending its journey in Charleston -so maybe it'll continue on from there.

w00t.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 04:21 PM   #1571
nikeetz
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcz22 View Post
I just called BMW Genius (today is the 2 week mark for mine sitting in "ready to transport" and I'm antsy lol) and they did have an update.

For reference my order was submitted on 9/10, and it went through production and got to ready to transport on 10/7. They were able to inform me that my car is on the Grand Champion which departed yesterday. With an estimated 12days until it arrives at the Port in New Jersey. So if any others have similar order dates perhaps we're on the same boat!

Not sure how to track this as you guys have been doing, each time I look at the vessel tracker it has the grand champion ending its journey in Charleston -so maybe it'll continue on from there.

w00t.
Finally, my car is on the same ship as yours with an estimated time of arrival of Nov. 1st.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 04:25 PM   #1572
nikeetz
Rep

Quote:
I was bored so looked through this thread to find the common carrier names, and found that most are either RCC, Wallenius, or K-Line. I assumed that BMW wasn't showing up at the dock in Altamira trying to charter a RORO for the week. I figured out there were 5 ships that would go from Altamira to at least near Baltimore after my car was built. I didn't really pay much attention to Newark as I knew my car would go to Baltimore (port location on Vehicle Inquiry from dealer). Your best bet for Newark is the Polaris Highway, leaving Altamira on 10/29 and getting to Newark on 11/5. The RCC ships seem to take a long route and the WW and K-line seem to be faster. This is the K-line schedule that includes Newark for the next few weeks.

My last two BMW's were European Delivery and I found it fascinating to find what ship you were on (Maersk at the time I think, maybe WW) and track it from the day it was loaded. At that time most of the ports had live webcams so you could see the ship as it left Bremerhaven and eventually arrived in Newark. This process from Mexico seems way more disconnected than it did from Germany.
Thank you for the info. My car actually got loaded yesterday onto the Grand Champion est. arrival of Nov. 1st.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 05:06 PM   #1573
bap340i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thank you for the info. My car actually got loaded yesterday onto the Grand Champion est. arrival of Nov. 1st.
One thing I did not factor in was that cars might leave from Veracruz instead of Altamira. Awesome you are on a ship. Are you officially dispatched as of today? I changed to awaiting carrier assignment, so hoping it is leaving today.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 05:13 PM   #1574
bap340i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcz22 View Post

w00t.
Not sure if this is helpful, and their schedules are hard to read, but ...
Also, congrats on being one step closer to your car.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf US_WAF_Schedule-2.pdf (93.2 KB, 132 views)
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 05:16 PM   #1575
nikeetz
Rep

Quote:
One thing I did not factor in was that cars might leave from Veracruz instead of Altamira. Awesome you are on a ship. Are you officially dispatched as of today? I changed to awaiting carrier assignment, so hoping it is leaving today.
Ship actually left yesterday so its already on the way to its first stop in Charleston. My status also changed to awaiting carrier assignment today, these updates are really delayed so better if you give them a call maybe your car is already on the ship as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 05:50 PM   #1576
bap340i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Ship actually left yesterday so its already on the way to its first stop in Charleston. My status also changed to awaiting carrier assignment today, these updates are really delayed so better if you give them a call maybe your car is already on the ship as well.
Turns out I am also on Grand Champion, scheduled to arrive in Baltimore 10/30. Happy to be moving and surprised to be leaving from Veracruz.

Last edited by bap340i; 10-21-2020 at 07:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 06:50 PM   #1577
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 19 AW M2C, 21 M340i

So I think the 2-3 weeks in Mexico port makes sense, but I'm working off a few assumptions - let me explain.

Boats left more frequently from Bremerhaven, but they weren't shipping one single model, it was multiple models plus other European makes. So BMW could throw 1,000 vehicles on a ship, and that ship still leaves Europe full. That's why there was a ship every few days or so.

Boats leave Mexico less frequently, but remember the plant is making cars for the West Coast, East Coast, and probably one or two other locations as well (South America maybe? not sure). So they really don't want to send off a ship if it's not full, so it takes some time to fill up a boat going to the East Coast. Or the West Coast. Because what other cars are made in that area of Mexico that use the port? Maybe a few, but possibly not enough cars to fill up entire car carriers multiple times a month.

Just a thought.
      10-21-2020, 08:03 PM   #1578
Casone238
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340

Does anyone here know how remove the blue plastic cover on the door sills ? It's starting to bubble up and I can't seem to get it off
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 11:46 PM   #1579
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep

Guys big update for me -
Since I'm buying "factory direct" through Diplomatic sales, I don't have the BMW Genius line or anything to call. I just got word from my sales guy that I have a ship, it's currently sailing, with an ETA. My ship is RRC Africa.
Question - I can't seem to see what company owns the ship to see if they have a more detailed tracking website. Other than paying an ungodly sum to unlock MarineTraffic, how would i go about finding the scheduled port of calls for that ship?

Lastly, I'm quite amazed. I was build week 41, which is 5 OCT, and my car made it on the car carrier on 12 OCT - which means that my car MUST have been made before week 41, because it takes at least a week to get to port... Anyway, not complaining!
      10-22-2020, 12:34 AM   #1580
bap340i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Try this:

https://www.nmtshipping.com/sailing-...ling-schedule/
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 01:29 AM   #1581
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
You are amazing

Thank you so much!!!
      10-22-2020, 02:51 AM   #1582
dodger0629
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i Touring

Quote:
This is NICE and very informative! Hope my M340iT is on this "Morning Conductor" which will port at Keelung on Nov 24
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 02:47 PM   #1583
alauder
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i Xdrive

M340i Xdrive

I wanted to thank everyone on this forum for supplying all of the information regarding the tracking. I ordered my car back on 9/11. It has been in "Ready for Transport" for three weeks. I was very delighted to hear that guys with similar timelines found out their car was in transport. I called the hotline and they informed me that my car is on the same boat!

This forum is amazing, and I am happy to be joining the BMW community! Thank you again for helping me survive the last 7 weeks while waiting for the car! lol
      10-22-2020, 06:00 PM   #1584
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger0629 View Post
This is NICE and very informative! Hope my M340iT is on this "Morning Conductor" which will port at Keelung on Nov 24
I've found that outside of America BMW Sales folks don't have a lot of visibility into the process. My Sales guy didn't know any shipping information until he received the shipping documents, which came well after the boat left the port.

Hope you get your car soon!