Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics Bavsound upgrade

10-06-2020, 12:51 PM   #45
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

The amplifier is the weakest link in the Harman Kardon (HK) system. Yes some of the HK speakers sound muffled and almost like they have a cloth over them filtering the sound however, the speakers come to life with an aftermarket amplifier. Although the HK under seat subwoofers can handle 150 w RMS comfortably it's probably not sustainable in the long run.

Today I heard the Audison Bit Nove 9 DSP. It's the best that can be done that I know of with the HK. The front door speakers and under seats were powered by an Audison SR4.300. The fronts and under seats were Audison and there was also a... you guessed it, Audison 10" in the back.

With the 10" subwoofer disconnected the under seat woofers are honestly a waste of time. The only ones I have know to go low are the Earthquake SWS 8xi (2 ohm) paired with a 150w RMS x 2 (at 2 ohm) amplifier - make of the brand what you will, each to their own. However, the SWS will never play like a trunk woofer but if that's not an issue for you it may meet your needs.

The Audison under seat woofers are up there and pretty expensive but they were honestly a waste of time.

The under seat woofers don't have the best location to sing from and seem like an afterthought by BMW. As in, let's add a bit more bass. Where can we place some subs? Stick them there! The size of the enclosures go against them. No speaker there will ever play like a trunk subwoofer.

Replacing the front speakers may be enough for some but others may want more.

Compared to the Burmester in my Mercedes the HK is pathetic. However, the Burmester is let down by the cheap paper cone subwoofers in the footwells. The bass vibrating the gas pedal is disorientating at times. The footwells almost act like bass bins and the front stage is clearer yet less harsh than the HK.

With the Audison DSP the sound was clear and precise. The highs didn't hurt my ears. The sound was well balanced. One of the cleanest sets I have ever heard. Right up there with the likes of Audio Fischer - better than Mosconi.

There are so many under seat woofer solutions now and some are a let down. The best upgrade in my view is to focus on the front sound stage first. Door speakers, tweeters, sound deadening and, amplifier. For bass, nothing beats a corner loaded trunk woofer. The doors can handle some mid-bass duties too but not as well as the under seats.

Many plug and play solutions exist for the doors. You can do cheaper and better than BavSound. For a plug and play solution the BavSound is pretty neat but you don't know what you're missing until you amplify your BavSound or use a different brand and amplify those.

Buy with your ears. Some don't like anti-social bass and just want accurate vocals and percussion... others want a full body warm sound and some like their gumbo with extra pepper.
Appreciate 2
      01-30-2021, 06:53 PM   #46
TropikThunder
Private
Rep
Drives: current: 330i next: x3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calamari View Post
For rear speakers, I will only hook-up mids (the same as OEM setup). HiFi system is designed to work only with mids in the rear, and I don't want the highs to come from the rear. I'll play around with it, and If I find that there is benefit from adding highs in the back, I'll purchase Harman Kardon door handle frames with tweeter holders and install Eton tweeters in them.
Reviving old thread, I know, but do you know where one would get the tHK tweeter holders for the G20 rear doors? I searched but only find the entire door panel, not just the tweeter holder part.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2021, 07:13 AM   #47
Calamari
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 G21 330d, 2008 E87 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TropikThunder View Post
Reviving old thread, I know, but do you know where one would get the tHK tweeter holders for the G20 rear doors? I searched but only find the entire door panel, not just the tweeter holder part.
I don' think that you can order those separately.
Appreciate 0