Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions 330e charging settings / preconditioning?

03-26-2020, 06:24 AM   #1
dizx
Second Lieutenant
Thailand
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330e

330e charging settings / preconditioning?

Hi,

I am thinking about the new G20 330e as my next car.

How is it to use as an EV in daily life. Can you set max charge / minimum charge? For my daily shopping etc, I wouldn't need more than 60-70% state of charge on the battery. My daily commutes are less than 20km.

How about preconditioning. Can you leave your car in the sun while shopping, then start the A/C on max a few minutes before you come back to your vehicle?
      03-26-2020, 09:43 AM   #2
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

I am a one car family so I use my 530e as my daily driver. It works great as one.

There is no reason I can think of to only charge it part way...and I don't think that is even especially good for the battery. If you don't use all your charge today, that just means you have to add less charge tomorrow.

You can definitely do the starting the AC. I live in hot greater Phoenix and in the summer the temperature can climb above 110F (43 Celsius). I will play golf in the morning and when I get through with the second to last hole I take out my phone and turn on the AC and the car is comfortable by the time I get to it. But I do use Battery Control on the way to the course to make sure I have adequate charge available to turn on and run the AC. So it will work, just make sure you have adequate charge. This is, by the way, another good reason to always fully charge when you can.

My caveat on that is that you do want to charge where and when it is least expensive. So that can impact on your charging decisions. In my city, for example, the peak time for electric rates is 3 PM to 8 PM. So I don't charge in that window.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 02:45 AM   #3
dizx
Second Lieutenant
Thailand
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
I am a one car family so I use my 530e as my daily driver. It works great as one.

There is no reason I can think of to only charge it part way...and I don't think that is even especially good for the battery. If you don't use all your charge today, that just means you have to add less charge tomorrow.

You can definitely do the starting the AC. I live in hot greater Phoenix and in the summer the temperature can climb above 110F (43 Celsius). I will play golf in the morning and when I get through with the second to last hole I take out my phone and turn on the AC and the car is comfortable by the time I get to it. But I do use Battery Control on the way to the course to make sure I have adequate charge available to turn on and run the AC. So it will work, just make sure you have adequate charge. This is, by the way, another good reason to always fully charge when you can.

My caveat on that is that you do want to charge where and when it is least expensive. So that can impact on your charging decisions. In my city, for example, the peak time for electric rates is 3 PM to 8 PM. So I don't charge in that window.
A Lipo type battery, like the ones in EV's and hybrids shouldn't be fully charged and shouldn't be fully discharged either, if possible. Between 30 - 70% is good, and will increase the lifespan of the battery. Never let the car sit with full charge. So make sure if you charge it to 100%, you drive off right away.
      04-07-2020, 06:12 AM   #4
renedx
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW 745Le & BMW i7

I drive a 745Le (EU), you cannot set the min/max battery charge in mine. It always does 100%.

But it doesn't go to 0%, I was driving with an empty battery and drove into an eZone, it suddenly turned on electric driving while it said "—- km". So it seems to always leave some charge in it.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 12:26 PM   #5
hottroc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizx View Post
A Lipo type battery, like the ones in EV's and hybrids shouldn't be fully charged and shouldn't be fully discharged either, if possible. Between 30 - 70% is good, and will increase the lifespan of the battery. Never let the car sit with full charge. So make sure if you charge it to 100%, you drive off right away.
That's the first I've heard that, certainly the dealer didn't say that. And from the manual...

"To optimally operate the high-voltage battery, charge the vehicle regularly and fully"

Is it possible that BMW made the system smart enough to not overcharge? Ie when it says it is 100% charge it's really only 80% or 90%? I've heard that there is still charge left even when it says Zero too.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 01:48 PM   #6
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by hottroc View Post
That's the first I've heard that, certainly the dealer didn't say that. And from the manual...

"To optimally operate the high-voltage battery, charge the vehicle regularly and fully"

Is it possible that BMW made the system smart enough to not overcharge? Ie when it says it is 100% charge it's really only 80% or 90%? I've heard that there is still charge left even when it says Zero too.
I wouldn't say "smart enough" but yes, BMW only charges the battery to about 80% to save battery life. So when it says 100%, it really means 100% of 80%.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 04:13 PM   #7
hottroc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

Ah good, that puts my mind at rest. I don't have to rush out and unplug when it gets to 80% then. I leave mine plugged in all night.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 11:45 AM   #8
Codez
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330e MSport Sunset Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizx View Post
They've built that in. So displayed values effectively map onto different real battery values. I don't have the exact numbers but say zero maps to 15% charge, 100% maps to 85%. They have to do that to extend battery life, they don't want dead batteries after 3 or 4 years.

There's a clue to it in the stated capacity stated in ev-database "The battery of the BMW 330e has a total capacity of 12 kWh. The usable capacity is 10.4 kWh."
Appreciate 0