Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Should I routinely idle my car to keep the battery charged?

04-13-2020, 12:58 AM   #1
markt2727
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 330i

Should I routinely idle my car to keep the battery charged?

For the past month I haven't been able to drive my new 330i given the state of the world (I still only have 150 miles on it). Here in Los Angeles we've been encouraged to avoid driving unless absolutely necessary.

To preserve the battery, and perhaps other engine systems, should I at least let it run on idle in my garage? And if so, for how long and how often? Or, do I need to actually drive it somewhere, and again, for how long and how often?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2020, 03:32 PM   #2
EBS0712
BMW CCA #257
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 Wagon / 2020 G20

Suggest you purchase a "Battery Tender". It costs about $25 on Amazon. Mine works great and it will not overcharge the battery.
BMW CCA # 257
Appreciate 1
      04-13-2020, 10:42 PM   #3
markt2727
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBS0712 View Post
Suggest you purchase a "Battery Tender". It costs about $25 on Amazon. Mine works great and it will not overcharge the battery.
Ahh, yes, if I didn't live in an apartment complex with no available outlet to plug into I'd definitely do that. Any other guidance would be appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 03:05 AM   #4
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 840 M Sport Gran Coupe

Mine showed a 'low battery' warning after sitting for just a few days but not since. I am only using it sporadically for short distances and it has been fine for the last three weeks or so. I may be wrong, but I think you will get a message in the Connected app if the battery is getting low assuming you can connect to the car from your apartment.

Not sure about current equipment. in the good old days when you could actually tinker with stuff an engine would need to run over 2000 rpm to start charging the battery.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 03:19 AM   #5
Tam the Bam
Grumpy Old Git
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i RWD M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybird View Post
Mine showed a 'low battery' warning after sitting for just a few days but not since. I am only using it sporadically for short distances and it has been fine for the last three weeks or so. I may be wrong, but I think you will get a message in the Connected app if the battery is getting low assuming you can connect to the car from your apartment.

Not sure about current equipment. in the good old days when you could actually tinker with stuff an engine would need to run over 2000 rpm to start charging the battery.
Looks like the OP’s only option will be to run it to maintain the battery.

My car has just shown “extremely low battery in iDrive screen” due to little running because of lockdown. Yesterday I ordered a charger (one that does gsm batteries) as my current battery charger isn’t suitable for cars with stop/start functionality.

F10 520D M Sport
E60 520D SE
Volvo S60 type R
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 08:02 AM   #6
aguycalleddb
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 M240i XDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam the Bam View Post
My car has just shown "extremely low battery in iDrive screen" due to little running because of lockdown. Yesterday I ordered a charger (one that does gsm batteries) as my current battery charger isn't suitable for cars with stop/start functionality.
When was the last time you ran it mate? I've only used mine once in three weeks and it seems to be ok but I'm still debating buying a charger if the lockdown goes on for much longer

G42 /// M240i Thundernight
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 08:08 AM   #7
Tam the Bam
Grumpy Old Git
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i RWD M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by aguycalleddb View Post
When was the last time you ran it mate? I've only used mine once in three weeks and it seems to be ok but I'm still debating buying a charger if the lockdown goes on for much longer
Just been once a week for last three weeks to supermarket and back <6 miles. I think the battery was down anyway due to winter (lights, heating etc.) I had noticed my Start/Stop wasn’t always working as it should which is a sign of low battery.

Charger should arrive by next Monday..... we’ll see how that goes....

F10 520D M Sport
E60 520D SE
Volvo S60 type R
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 08:11 AM   #8
aguycalleddb
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 M240i XDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam the Bam View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by aguycalleddb View Post
Just been once a week for last three weeks to supermarket and back <6 miles. I think the battery was down anyway due to winter (lights, heating etc.) I had noticed my Start/Stop wasn’t always working as it should which is a sign of low battery.

Charger should arrive by next Monday..... we’ll see how that goes....
I did a 20min run to the office the other day and might have to call in again this week, hopefully that should keep the battery topped up a little

G42 /// M240i Thundernight
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 08:39 AM   #9
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 840 M Sport Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybird View Post

Sod's law strikes !! - I got the 'low battery' warning this morning when I went out to deliver prescriptions - took it for no more than a ('spirited') five mile run and all is well again.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 02:22 PM   #10
AlexInChicago
Rep
Drives: 2023 430GranSport xDriveMsport

If you have to use a battery tender instead of driving, you could also run the engine a few minutes every two weeks to keep fresher gas in the fuel system. Keeping the gas tank full also helps protect your fuel system.
'06 330i Sport 6MT. Monaco Blue.
'02 330i Sport. 1988 Porsche 944S 5MT.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 02:50 PM   #11
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Idling a cold engine is not good. It's actually far better for the engine to warm up as quickly as possible and spend as little time with cold oil. The fact that your car uses synthetic oil makes that a little less of concern, but still something you should be mindful of. Idling a cold engine for a long time will advance engine wear. Safest thing to do is drive it around for at least 5 minutes and then park it (with the engine left on) if you don't want to go for a high speed 30 minute drive.

The alternator doesn't output significant current until it's past about 2000rpm. If you're just idling at <700rpm, you're not even feeding much current into the battery.

Check out this graph of alternator output. Below 1000rpm, there is very little current being delivered.

Last edited by upsidedownfunnel; 04-14-2020 at 03:19 PM..
Appreciate 1
Seaford1147.50
      04-14-2020, 03:40 PM   #12
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by markt2727 View Post
For the past month I haven't been able to drive my new 330i given the state of the world (I still only have 150 miles on it). Here in Los Angeles we've been encouraged to avoid driving unless absolutely necessary.

To preserve the battery, and perhaps other engine systems, should I at least let it run on idle in my garage? And if so, for how long and how often? Or, do I need to actually drive it somewhere, and again, for how long and how often?
The battery tender is the best answer but apparently won't work for you. If you are allowed to do it, I would rather do a road trip than idling. I don't think that idling is especially good for the car.
Appreciate 0