Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum Dealer got my build sheet wrong :(

11-05-2022, 12:50 PM   #1
cyber_engineer
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i GC

Dealer got my build sheet wrong :(

I placed an order for 2023 330e 3.5 months ago. It got delivered yesterday to the dealer (Stevens Creek BMW, Santa Clara, California). Instead of red seats, its black and instead of jet black wheels, its bi-color. Initially I thought the Mexico factory got it wrong, but as I went through my emails with salesperson from dealership, I now see that he got the specs mixed up when submitting the build to factory.

I am so pissed and bummed out that they got my specs wrong. I can place a new order but it may be delivered next year, which means I may lose out on tax rebate of $5,836.

Dealer has offered $1000 off, but I feel that is so low-ball

My options:
1) Suck it up: Get the dealer to offer more discount and take the car + get $5,836 EV tax credit
2) Cancel the ordered car, buy another incoming 330e closest to my desired spec + get $5,836 EV tax credit
3) Order new: and forgo the $5,836 EV tax credit

I am still soo pissed that he got my spec wrong!! What can I do here? How can I get the dealership pay for this?

Last edited by cyber_engineer; 11-05-2022 at 01:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2022, 01:44 PM   #2
wspalding
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i

Garage List
2018 M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber_engineer View Post
I placed an order for 2023 330e 3.5 months ago. It got delivered yesterday to the dealer (Stevens Creek BMW, Santa Clara, California). Instead of red seats, its black and instead of jet black wheels, its bi-color. Initially I thought the Mexico factory got it wrong, but as I went through my emails with salesperson from dealership, I now see that he got the specs mixed up when submitting the build to factory.

I am so pissed and bummed out that they got my specs wrong. I can place a new order but it may be delivered next year, which means I may lose out on tax rebate of $5,836.

My options:
1) Suck it up: Get the dealer to offer more discount and take the car + get $5,836 EV tax credit
2) Cancel the ordered car, buy another incoming 330e closest to my desired spec + get $5,836 EV tax credit

I am still soo pissed that he got my spec wrong!! What can I do here? How can I get the dealership pay for this?
I had to initial my build sheet before the order was placed, your CA didn’t require you to confirm the build?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2022, 02:30 PM   #3
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

It's unfortunate but the dealership isn't going to care. If you don't take it, they will sell it (possibly marked up). You basically have to decide if you want to accept it or not. Try pushing for more of a discount but it likely won't be much more.
      11-05-2022, 03:04 PM   #4
SoCalJon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW330e

That stinks.

You probably know this, but remember that the tax credit is a “non-refundable” credit, which means that it is limited by your Income Tax and a couple of adjustments (line 18 on 2021 1040). Excess tax credit can’t be carried forward to another year.

It may not be an issue for you, but thought I’d mention it in case it affects your calculus.

If there’s any way to demonstrate the dealer is at fault, I’d push for more discount. Either way, I’d probably just deal with it and take the car.

Good luck!

Last edited by SoCalJon; 11-05-2022 at 03:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2022, 02:22 AM   #5
RoGo330i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW330i2022

Quote:

My options:

So sorry that happened. Requesting a red interior and not getting it would be a bummer! If you did a new build and it doesn't arrive until after 2023, could you still get an EV credit with the new Inflation Reduction Act as the build would be in Mexico which is one of our trade partners? (I'm not sure, so that's why I'm asking.)

Also, I have a really great CA at nearby BMW of Mountain View named Kevin; if you might want to start over at another dealership, I could give you his info.

Again, sorry about what happened. Keep us posted on what you decide!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2022, 07:57 AM   #6
TheMaxXHD
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 G20 LCI M340i xDrive

Quote:

My options:

I would personally keep it, unless you REALLY don't like the interior color. You can always switch out the wheels for the ones you want later.

Did you not use bmw garage to track your order? It would've told you the specs of the vehicle. The wheel type is buried a bit but the interior color is front and center on there.
Appreciate 1
RoGo330i142.50
      11-07-2022, 02:17 PM   #7
cyber_engineer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wspalding View Post
I had to initial my build sheet before the order was placed, your CA didn’t require you to confirm the build?
I did confirm it, but when he put in the order, he got it wrong
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2022, 02:19 PM   #8
cyber_engineer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoGo330i View Post
So sorry that happened. Requesting a red interior and not getting it would be a bummer! If you did a new build and it doesn't arrive until after 2023, could you still get an EV credit with the new Inflation Reduction Act as the build would be in Mexico which is one of our trade partners? (I'm not sure, so that's why I'm asking.)

Also, I have a really great CA at nearby BMW of Mountain View named Kevin; if you might want to start over at another dealership, I could give you his info.

I believe you can get the credit as long as your car is made in Mexico (not Germany) and you receive it by the end of this year. Could you please share his (Kevin) info?
Appreciate 1
RoGo330i142.50
      11-07-2022, 02:20 PM   #9
cyber_engineer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaxXHD View Post
I would personally keep it, unless you REALLY don't like the interior color. You can always switch out the wheels for the ones you want later.

Did you not use bmw garage to track your order? It would've told you the specs of the vehicle. The wheel type is buried a bit but the interior color is front and center on there.
I did track it, i missed out on the red leather info, I did see the wrong wheels, I pointed this out to the sales guy but he said he sees black on his end.

(I dont think he knows the difference between various options. I ordered jet black, he ordered bi-color black)
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2022, 08:46 PM   #10
tracythorne
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 850 GC

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoGo330i View Post

I believe you can get the credit as long as your car is made in Mexico (not Germany) and you receive it by the end of this year. Could you please share his (Kevin) info?
Couple of other things for the tax credit effective January one…

First, there will be income caps, that limit the tax credit to people with maximum income of $150,000 and couples of $300,000. This will likely knock a lot of BMW purchasers out of the running for the tax credit.

Additionally, and I might be wrong on this, but I believe the geographic source of battery materials becomes a factor under the new law, and I don't believe the batteries in the 330e will qualify as they are currently produced.

Just my two cents, and I may be wrong
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2022, 08:55 PM   #11
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracythorne View Post
Couple of other things for the tax credit effective January one…

First, there will be income caps, that limit the tax credit to people with maximum income of $150,000 and couples of $300,000. This will likely knock a lot of BMW purchasers out of the running for the tax credit.

Additionally, and I might be wrong on this, but I believe the geographic source of battery materials becomes a factor under the new law, and I don't believe the batteries in the 330e will qualify as they are currently produced.

Just my two cents, and I may be wrong
Correct, as of 1/1/23 no BMW's will be eligible for the credit due to the battery requirements. There are two portions of the battery requirements, critical minerals and battery components. For the minerals portion they need to mined or processed in the US or any country we have a free trade agreement with or recycled in NA. For the components, a certain percentage of value must be from those assembled or manufactured in NA.
RoGo330i142.50
      11-08-2022, 12:12 AM   #12
mlurker
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G05 X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Correct, as of 1/1/23 no BMW's will be eligible for the credit due to the battery requirements. There are two portions of the battery requirements, critical minerals and battery components. For the minerals portion they need to mined or processed in the US or any country we have a free trade agreement with or recycled in NA. For the components, a certain percentage of value must be from those assembled or manufactured in NA.
What if a binding agreement is signed before end of 2022, will the purchase of 330e be eligible for a tax credit?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2022, 06:40 AM   #13
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlurker View Post
What if a binding agreement is signed before end of 2022, will the purchase of 330e be eligible for a tax credit?
No. Binding contracts, as defined by the relevant guidance, only pertain to vehicles ordered prior to the signing of the bill in regards to using the Transition rule.
      11-08-2022, 10:47 AM   #14
cyber_engineer
Rep

Quote:
No. Binding contracts, as defined by the relevant guidance, only pertain to vehicles ordered prior to the signing of the bill in regards to using the Transition rule.
If 330e (Assembled in Mexico) is purchased (as in you receive the car and make payment/loan) by Dec 31, 2022, you are eligible for Federal EV credit ($5,836), right?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2022, 11:00 AM   #15
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
If 330e (Assembled in Mexico) is purchased (as in you receive the car and make payment/loan) by Dec 31, 2022, you are eligible for Federal EV credit ($5,836), right?
Yes, the 330e would be eligible for the credit and assuming your tax liability is greater than that you could take the full credit.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2022, 08:33 PM   #16
mlurker
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Can the car be purchased without actual delivery of the car?
Meaning I have a vin number and the car is being manufactured or transported to the dealership, it's dec 31st and I want to secure a tax credit. We sign all paperwork and then I wait for the car.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2022, 08:48 PM   #17
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlurker View Post
Can the car be purchased without actual delivery of the car?
Meaning I have a vin number and the car is being manufactured or transported to the dealership, it's dec 31st and I want to secure a tax credit. We sign all paperwork and then I wait for the car.
Dealers won't/can't do that. Besides that, even if you did that you wouldn't be eligible for the credit since the vehicle has to be put into service in the year you are taking credit for.
      11-09-2022, 12:03 AM   #18
mlurker
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Dealers won't/can't do that. Besides that, even if you did that you wouldn't be eligible for the credit since the vehicle has to be put into service in the year you are taking credit for.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2022, 06:39 AM   #19
Quadruple VANOS
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

You have a decision to make. What's more important, getting the tax credit, or getting the car you want?
Appreciate 1
RoGo330i142.50
      11-10-2022, 07:52 AM   #20
JaminJ
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2023 330e

My advice would be to push for as big a discount as you can. Once you agree, push to have the dealer order and swap out the black wheels at no cost.

Option 2: Push to have the dealer order the black wheels and tires (performance or all weather - whichever you don’t have) at no cost to you so you can have extras. Then you can swap out the wheels as you choose. Of course the final decision is yours.

Personal story: I put a deposit on a Lexus in 2011. Then the tsunami hit and Lexus didn’t deliver cars from about April to August. When they started to trickle in, dealers contacted me with inventory options but none of the options was close to my desires. Then a dealer about 200 miles away had a car with all my options but it had black interior rather than the grey I wanted but I accepted it. I didn’t lay eyes on it until it was delivers to me, but I liked the black very much. So much so, that I ordered black interior on my new 330e. So if you can get the wheels you wanted and can accept the black interior, I’m sure you will still be super happy.
Appreciate 0