Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Photography/Videography Lighting in a Gym?

06-11-2009, 10:26 PM   #23
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phiberglass View Post
Nevermind then. I still wouldn't recommend the 70-200 f/4 even the 2.8 is cutting it, but I'*m sure that would do fine with a higher ISO.

That's a beauty of the FF that I didn't fully realize until I got one. The f/4 70-200 really cuts it in almost any situation. With a FF you really only need the 2.8 if you do lots of sports or indoor action (dance) where the extra stop is important, even at ISO 3200.

Dave
      06-12-2009, 01:33 AM   #24
TWiTCHY
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 AW E92 M3

Well, The photos turned out ok. I ended up not using my flash + diffuser - HORRIBLE results, so I decided to crank up the ISO to around 2000 and the photos seemed to be ok.

But I'm starting to see where the 5D2 FAILS at. It simply can't focus on anything moving in mildly low light, or just people in low light, not even moving. Many times I had to press the shutter down half way to get it to refocus, and sometimes it even took more than 3 times to get it right. I'm disappointed to be honest, and really wished I went with the D700; I hear that thing is godly at things like this, and I should know. After all, I came from a D300 and in the same gym and lighting - absolutely flawless focusing. Every photo was sharp, save for the blur from slow shutter speeds, but I feel that Nikon's AF system is just generations beyond the 5D2's.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2009, 09:24 AM   #25
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Just think ahead twitchy. You obviously are not from the generation forced to use light meters and calculate flash-distance exposures. I am, so perhaps I don't notice things that bother you modern guys. Now that you know how the camera responds you can adapt and be ready.

I pretest for lighting by doing the half shutter thing relatively constantly. If I'm taking a bunch of shots of people at the same distance (like graduates coming down the same line) then I'll go to manual and set the lens focus and aperture where I want it. I'm just used to doing the half-shutter thing pretty constantly and actually looking at the resulting focus. Anyway, don't just push the button. If it's having trouble, just slide the switch to manual on the lens and pop it into focus. The results are worth using a few brain cells.

Dave
      06-12-2009, 10:48 AM   #26
rodi
. . .
Rep
Drives: your FACE!

i concur with Dave.

from a far distance like that, your hyperfocal must have been just before the infinity mark. you could have just left it in manual focus @ infinity to get around the Canon's AF shortcomings. another way would be to remove the auto-AF from the shutter release. set it so that AF is triggered only by the AF-ON button. this will help a LOT in any AF situation - especially the one you just experienced.

oh, this is also one of the reasons i tried to steer you towards the D700 when you asked for my advice - its AF module is almost as good as the D3's (save for a different motor drive). they're very intelligent and perfect in low light.

but no reason to fret. just learn how to use the AF (or MF) and set it up so that it suits your needs.

did you try the rim light thing?

Appreciate 0
      06-12-2009, 11:26 AM   #27
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
rodi, I recognize that picture in your signature from one you posted in a before and after thread. It's looking very nice.

Dave
      06-12-2009, 01:22 PM   #28
rodi
. . .
Rep
Drives: your FACE!

thanks, Dave.

Appreciate 0
      06-12-2009, 07:25 PM   #29
TWiTCHY
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 AW E92 M3

All good advice. I'm just not used to manual focus.

I didn't try the rim lighting; didn't have any time to set it up and I'm having problems with keeping the flash awake. It likes to turn off automatically every time it idles for more than a minute.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2009, 07:55 PM   #30
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWiTCHY View Post
All good advice. I'm just not used to manual focus..
You need to practice lots of things in non-critical situations. When you're just practicing your bad images are easily deleted.

I don't know what lenses you have, but take your longest and go out flower shooting. Get close in and pratice manually manipulating the bokeh with the focus ring. Us old farts don't even think about it, but you guys need to learn it. The Canon lenses have a MF/AF switch that you can use with the camera in any mode to turn the AF on and off. Once you do it a few times, it's easy to go back and forth. Remember to always set it back to AF when you're finished.

A future step is to get a 25mm extension tube to turn your lenses into true macro lenses. The Canon 70-200 L-series lense make tremendous macros with extension tube. Do the flower exercise again and the MF will give you all kinds of DOF options and stunning photo opportunities with that wonderful camera.

Dave