Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Comparison: 320d v 330i / Passive v Adaptive / ESC v M Sport Diff

06-08-2020, 05:10 AM   #1
WhiteJames
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M-Sport Plus

Comparison: 320d v 330i / Passive v Adaptive / ESC v M Sport Diff

BMW 320d -v- BMW 330i

Background:

I spent the morning testing driving two versions of the 3 series:

320d M-Sport on passive dampers.
330i M-Sport Plus Package with M-Sport Limited Slip Differential on adaptive dampers.

My previous vehicle was a Golf 7 GTI.

BMW 320d:

The 320d diesel had the M-Sport package with 19” wheels, small brakes, Alcantara seats and passive dampers.

320d - Motor:

The diesel motor of the 320d sedan is incredibly strong down-low in the rev range. The 2.0 litre turbo-diesel punches hard in the lower gears. It gets to the speed limit very quickly around town. The ZF 8 speed auto changes up imperceptibly, it almost feels like a CVT belt driven transmission – only much faster.

The drawback of the diesel is that the power band is narrower compared to the petrol motor. The Diesel auto does not hold the revs as long as the 330i petrol motor. The petrol takes time to work smoothly through its power band.

The 320d does not have to be worked as hard to gain forward momentum. All that diesel torque down low is perfect for highway cruising. The BMW diesel motor is remarkably smooth as it revs out through the gears. It’s a fantastic diesel motor, albeit a bit one dimensional in its power delivery. Long-term, I could definitely live with this motor for city and highway cruising. Fuel economy would be great too.
Appreciate 3
mathys196.50
Fuller1216.50
francton124.50
      06-08-2020, 05:12 AM   #2
WhiteJames
Rep

320d – Chassis on Passive Dampers:

The 320d chassis rides on M-Sport ‘Passive Dampers’. The passive dampers make the 320d diesel feel light on this feet. The secondary ride, the smaller but higher frequency imperfections in the roadway, of the passive dampers makes the 3 series feels livelier & firmer around town. Similar but not as firm as aftermarket sports suspension upgrades in a way.

The firmer low speed compression of the 3 series passive suspension is at complete contrast to the steering in its lighter Comfort setting. The Comfort steering is simply too light for the tautness of the 3 series M-Sport chassis. A stark mismatch in suspension firmness and steering weight when riding on passive dampers.

In Sport mode, the steering is a much better match for the firmer M-Sport suspension setup. The heavier Sport steering mode would be become tiring on long journeys. The chassis body control and steering are very direct in the M-Sport 320d. Much more so than my Golf 7 GTI. The 3 series M Sport chassis is taut and very well tied down, providing for a sporty drive with limited body sway. It’s firm & direct for chassis control with an absence of any sagginess in the suspension.

The 3 series with M-Sport suspension tune on non-adaptive passive dampers with 19” diameter run-flat rubber is not a vehicle suited to Australian roadways re: Ride Comfort. Driving along concrete patchwork roadway had the 3 series ride feeling choppy with far too much vertical body movement. The 320d bobs up and down, bucking over concrete joints & undulations, with its very firm passive M-Sport passive suspension. This compromises the ride comfort to a high degree. There is no option to change the setting to something more comfortable on non-adaptive passive M-Sport suspension.

I would not tolerate the 3 series M-Sport suspension on non-adaptive passive dampers for ride comfort. Overall, the ride comfort on M-Sport suspension is simply too firm. Having said that, the 320d’s ride comfort is better on softer bitumen roadways. The ride on passive dampers is never jarring or sharp, but always animated and firm. The M-Sport passive suspension setup is like a snake following the ruts over the roadway undulations.

I formed the opinion that that there was no way I was going to purchase a 3 series M-Sport sedan with non-adaptive passive M-Sport dampers. The ride on M-Sport with passive dampers is just too well tied down and reactive to roadway imperfections for extended long-term use. The ride would become taxing on longer journeys for the driver and passengers.

The tighter M-Sport chassis tune limits the ability to feel the 50/50 weight distribution of the G20 chassis. The firmer M-Sport suspension reduces the adjustability of the BMW chassis. This includes attempts to alter the vehicle’s trajectory on the brake or throttle into & out of corners on public roadways. Perhaps the standard non-M Sport Luxury set up would be the preferred option, if you’re looking for more feel and chassis adjustability.

The smaller brakes on the 320d are very grabby under initial braking. The smaller 320d brakes do require extra effort on downhill runs. They struggle to pull up the BMW with confidence. The larger M-Sport brake callipers & discs on the more powerful 330i have less initial bite and feel, but are more effective in pulling up the BMW on steep downhill braking. This bigger M-Sport brake package is well worth the extra cost.

The BMW 320d did not have a proper mechanical M-Sport Limited Slip Differential. Under more vigorous acceleration out of tight bends, you can feel the stability control (ESC) pinching the inside rear wheel, preventing a loss of traction of the inside unloaded wheel. There’s a slight twitch from the rear end. The ESC stability control detracts from the drive experience. It reduces the driver control & feel of the vehicle. The ESC makes it more difficult for the driver to incrementally feed the power on out of corners, interrupting the balance of the chassis mid-corner and reducing the forward momentum driving out of bends. It reduces the 320d’s ability to punch hard out of corners smoothly, progressively in a seamless manner.

The grip of the 320d on passive M-Sport suspension comes from the firmer spring & damper rates coupled with wider tyres – especially the rear tyres. I could not help but feel that if BMW went with a double wishbone suspension at the front end, perhaps the 3 series may have had a softer & more playful chassis out on the open roadway.

The rear end of the 3 series is surprisingly tenacious and grippy. Both in a straight line and around corners. It’s unlikely that the rear end of the 320d could easily be provoked into a slide under normal dry weather driving conditions. The chassis is very stable, sure-footed, and composed on the M-Sport suspension setup. There no theatrics in the way the BMW chassis goes about tackling a series of corners in respect to the chassis roll, pitch or mid-corner heave – it’s all business-like composure on the 320d M Sport diesel.
Appreciate 3
mathys196.50
Fuller1216.50
      06-08-2020, 05:13 AM   #3
WhiteJames
Rep

320d – Interior:

The seat adjustability and driver’s position in the new G20 BMW 3 series is fantastic. The best I’ve ever sampled. Much greater range of adjustment than any of my previous Volkswagen Golf’s. The driver is able to rest their elbows on the driver side arm-rest and still manage to hold the steering wheel at the 3 and 9 o’clock positions. A major plus on long freeway trips for driver comfort. The Alcantara seats hold you more snuggly than the leather seats. The Alcantara seats also feel a slightly narrower than the leather option.
Appreciate 2
mathys196.50
Fuller1216.50
      06-08-2020, 05:14 AM   #4
WhiteJames
Rep

BMW 330i M-Sport:

The BMW 330i M-Sport was optioned with the M-Sport Plus Package. This adds a small lip spoiler, M Seat Belts, and a proper mechanical M Sport Limited Slip Differential. Adaptive dampers are standard on all Australian 330i vehicles.

330i - Motor:

The 330i petrol motor lacks the bottom end punch of the 320d turbo-diesel. In Comfort mode, the 330i petrol motor feels particularly lethargic down low in the rev-range. This is exacerbated by the Auto box selecting the highest available gear when in Drive. The 330i motor builds momentum & surge in the mid-range of the power band. You have to work the 330i motor harder up the rev-range to get some forward thrust compared to the 320d diesel. The petrol 2.0 litre motor in the BMW 330i is all about smooth mid-range punch.

The 330i two litre twin-scroll turbo motor is tuned to deliver a more linear thrust. This motor does not punch you forward hard & fast. It does not punch as hard as a Golf 7 R or an Audi S3 re: Turbo spooling up on boost and forward thrust. Instead, BMW has opted to replicate the smoother & linear power-band of the old BMW six-cylinder motor. It’s a four-cylinder turbo tuned to behave like a naturally aspirated 6-cylinder motor.

On the open road, the diesel is likely to be just as quick as the petrol motor. All that low-end torque punching a lot harder in short bursts, out of corners, would initially get the jump out of bends on the petrol 330i.

Apart from a slightly lethargic low end, the 330i petrol motor revs cleanly & smoothly into its higher rev-range. No major peaks or crescendos in the power delivery. Forward motion is linear, but uneventful to a degree. Prior to testing the 330i, I was expecting more thrilling turbo spooling boost drama.

In Sport mode, the 330i petrol motor comes alive. It never knocks your socks off. Rather, the petrol 2.0 litre turbo motor relies on its mid-range punch and the myriad of its 8 closely stacked gears to propel your forward. It feels like the BMW petrol motor is tuned to operate within a narrower mid-range 2,000 rpm to 4000 rpm band for more for refinement and economy, rather than outright power.

In the VW-Audi Group products (GTI / R / S3), the engine seems to dominate the experience to a much greater degree. They are smaller vehicles. The exceptional roadholding ability and tight chassis tune of the 330i M-Sport has the measure the BMW’s 2.0 litre four-cylinder turbo motor. Rarely does the 330i motor overwhelm the taut & composed G20 chassis.

You can feel that the 3 series vehicle is heavier than my Golf 7 GTI in almost every aspect of driving. The advantage of the 330i on adaptive dampers is that it is not stiff-legged at very low speeds over divots, stormwater drain junctions or speed bumps. More on the BMW adaptive dampers later.
Appreciate 1
Fuller1216.50
      06-08-2020, 05:16 AM   #5
WhiteJames
Rep

330i – Automatic Gearbox:

The 8 speed ZF auto in the petrol BMW 330i is not as smooth as it is the 320d diesel. At times, the gearbox struggles to deal with the lethargic low RPM of the petrol 330i motor on partial throttle applications around town. It sometimes takes time for the Auto to skip a few gears when changing down. The greater low-end torque of the diesel motor in the 320d has less pronounced interruption on downshifts re: choosing the right gear ratio to suit the occasion.

The Automatic torque converter the ZF 8-speed auto gearbox is no match for smoothness and speed of a Direct Shift double-clutch Gearbox (Audi/Volkswagen DSG). The DSG is just so much more effective for enthusiastic driving. The throttle blips on the 330i auto gearbox are not as pronounced as a DSG gearbox. Nor are they as seamless. Having said that, BMW have a very good Auto gearbox. The same gearbox is used in other makes of vehicles with a lot more power than the 330i.

330i M-Sport Plus Package – M Sport (LSD) differential:

The optional M-Sport Plus Package gives you the M-Sport Differential (Limited Slip Differential). This is a proper mechanical clutch-type limited slip diff (LSD), not an electronically brake controlled (ESC) version that is often found on most mainstream vehicles.

Earlier on, the 320d without the M Sport Differential was pinching the inside rear-wheel, interrupting the drive out of corners and impacting on driver feel and enjoyment, which made for less sporty drive.

The 330i with the optional M Sport Differential offered smooth & seamless forward thrust out of corners. The binding and locking of the clutch-packs in the M-Sport Differential are electronically controlled by an electric motor based on pre-determined BMW algorithms.

This makes the apportioning of the drive from the inside unloaded rear-wheel to the outside loaded rear-wheel seamless. It provides for maximum grip out of corners. The driver is able to get on the throttle earlier and harder without interruption or loss of forward momentum. It greatly adds to the driver feel when powering out of corners.

The electronically controlled mechanical M Sport LSD proactively works out how much diff lock/clutch binding the driver requires for any given situation. It’s all very seamless in the way that the M Sport Differential clutch-packs bind and unbind when accelerating out of corners. There’s no feel of locking and unlocking of the BMW M Sport Differential at low parking speeds either, making it ideal for daily street use.

The 330i M Sport Differential provides remarkable drive and grip when punching out of tight corners when compared to the ESC brake-based version. You’re able to get on the power earlier with more vigour when leaving corners. It allows the driver to adjust the car trajectory in a more incremental and progressive manner with no ESC interference. There is a noted absence of the ESC interfering the drive out of corners. The LSD makes powering out of corners much smoother.

The BMW M Sport Differential makes the rear end of the 3 series feel unshackled, making for a freer flowing vehicle on the roadway. The 330i M Sport Plus Package with Limited Slip Differential was a much more enjoyable car to drive enthusiastically around the Twisties. The M Sport Differential is standard equipment on the six-cylinder 340i.

Last edited by WhiteJames; 06-08-2020 at 05:37 AM..
Appreciate 2
mathys196.50
Fuller1216.50
      06-08-2020, 05:18 AM   #6
WhiteJames
Rep

330i – Chassis on Adaptive Dampers:

All Australian 330i’s come with M Sport suspension mated to adaptive suspension. This is a must-have option for anyone in Australia purchasing a BMW 3 series G20 sedan with M-Sport suspension.

The BMW adaptive dampers on M-Sport suspension offers a perfect blend of ride comfort and chassis control. The best of both worlds, expertly tuned by BMW for all types of roadway conditions. The ride in the harder and firmer Adaptive Sport mode on the 330i is more comfortable than the 320d on passive BMW dampers. The ride on adaptive dampers is that good.

Move into adaptive Comfort mode and the BMW 330i’s ride is perfectly acceptable and compliant on our rugged Australian roadways. It’s no limousine for ride comfort, but definitely liveable for drivers and passengers. The softer Comfort mode ride is much more comfortable than the passive M-Sport dampers setup on the 320d.

The adaptive dampers adjust to your driving demeanour in relation to the corresponding roadway surface and condition. The M Sport adaptive dampers allow the 330i chassis to breath with the roadway, rather than pounding the roadway and occupants into submission, which was the case with the passive M Sport suspension. A major plus for both driver comfort and driver engagement.

The Adaptive suspension does trade off a bit of low-speed compression & rebound damping control when compared to the passive dampers. This makes the 330i a little softer and soggier at lower suburban speeds than the 320d. It adds to comfort, but takes away a little bit of the feeling of control when driving around town.

The BMW 330i chassis hunkers down well when put into Sport mode. The steering is much better weighted to both the 330i’s comfort and sport modes, when mated to the adaptive dampers set-up. Grip levels are similarly high as the passive M Sport setup.

The BMW 330i sits very flat through turns. You do lose some playfulness in the chassis in the harder Sport mode. The body control more than makes up for it when pushing on around corners at greater speeds. The BMW 330i feels like it could do with more power when in Sport mode. Rarely does the engine performance overwhelm the composed and taut 330i chassis.

It was also struggle to feel the traditional BMW 50/50 weight distribution with the M Sport adaptive dampers. The 50/50 feeling that was so prevalent in the softer early model BMW 3 series vehicles (E36). It appears that BMW chassis tuners have sacrificed some chassis playfulness at low speeds in a trade-off for high speed stability on un-restricted German Auto-Bahn’s.

The steering of the 330i is direct. There is absence of genuine steering feel. This is a common trait across many brands in modern vehicles with electric steering. The fat M-Sport steering wheel looks a tad odd, but was fine to grip and hold on my short drive.
Appreciate 3
mathys196.50
Fuller1216.50
brissim84.00
      06-08-2020, 05:20 AM   #7
WhiteJames
Rep

Tyres:

The run-flat tyres of both the 320d and 330i create more slapping noise. Standard tyres are more comfortable & allow a bit more flex for more grip out of corners. I’m not sold on Run-Flats. They add a bit of choppiness to the BMW 3 series ride.

Interior:

The Vernasca Leather seats that come standard in the higher spec 330i in Australia. They feel wider and less grippy than the cheaper Alcantara seats in the 320d. The side bolsters on the driver’s lower seat bench feels to be a bit too narrow for my legs. It’s great that you are able to extend the seat bottom forward for more under-thigh support.
Appreciate 2
mathys196.50
Fuller1216.50
      06-08-2020, 05:22 AM   #8
WhiteJames
Rep

Final Impressions:

Prior to my test drive, I had higher expectations of the new 330i M Sport as a sporty vehicle to drive. I thought the 330i M Sport would be more thrilling with a more playful chassis and a harder punch under acceleration. I cannot say I was disappointed. More a case of being surprised. Surprised at the composure of the chassis and refinement of the power delivery. My expectation for diesel 320d was not as high in terms of it being a sporty vehicle. In this respect, the 320d met my expectations.

My ideal specification for the new BMW 3 series G20 sedan?

A 320d M Sport diesel optioned with adaptive dampers, M-Sport Plus Differential (LSD) and larger M-Sport brakes. The problem is that BMW does not offer a M-Sport Plus Package with M Sport Differential as an option on the 320d. Additionally, sales of the BMW 320d diesel have been discontinued in Australia.

Alternatively:

The petrol 330i offers much better value in Australia. It comes with a lot more fruit for a similar price. This includes adaptive dampers, larger M Sport brakes & leather interior as standard. The 330i includes a lot more tech as standard when compared to the diesel 320d. The 330i also has the M-Sport limited slip differential as an option. An option well worth having for drivers of sporty vehicles.

The result:

It leaves me with one alternative. The BMW 330i M Sport Plus Package with adaptive dampers and M-Sport limited slip differential.

Cheers.

WJ

Last edited by WhiteJames; 06-08-2020 at 05:29 AM..
Appreciate 5
mathys196.50
Fuller1216.50
A6bullet336.00
MPSdriver192.00
      06-08-2020, 06:04 AM   #9
mathys
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G82 - G01 - F56

Awesome insights, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 09:01 AM   #10
Bmwphile
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330i

Wow! That is some review. So comprehensive and insightful. Congratulations, you should be a motoring journalist!
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 01:30 PM   #11
-EndOfAnEra-
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteJames View Post
The tighter M-Sport chassis tune limits the ability to feel the 50/50 weight distribution of the G20 chassis. The firmer M-Sport suspension reduces the adjustability of the BMW chassis. This includes attempts to alter the vehicle’s trajectory on the brake or throttle into & out of corners on public roadways. Perhaps the standard non-M Sport Luxury set up would be the preferred option, if you’re looking for more feel and chassis adjustability.
Excellent review, well thought out and well written! I am a US owner of an M340i RWD with the passive 704 M-Sport suspension. While in testing I enjoyed the adaptive dampers, I felt I could gain more chassis feel with the passive suspension setup, you seem to have come to the opposite conclusion. Would you expand upon your thought that the passive reduces driving feel?

With the steering having so little feel, I've been adapting to feeling the car through chassis lean and flex so curious if you get the same sense on adaptive?

Thanks and good luck with your choice!
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 09:44 PM   #12
WhiteJames
Rep

Passive -v- Adaptive Suspension:

The fixed-rate passive dampers -v- adaptive dampers are a bit like a typewriter and computer keyboard.

The fixed-rate passive dampers are like the typewriter. They are purely mechanical. The passive typewriter will always offer more driver control, chassis feel and chassis feedback. There’s a direct mechanical connection between the wheels, suspension and chassis. Just like the typewriter. The passive dampers will allow the vehicle to lean, roll, dive, pitch and heave to a greater degree. This is based purely on mechanical forces.

The adaptive dampers are like a computer keyboard. Adaptive puts a layer of computer algorithm control between the driver’s inputs and the wheels, suspension & chassis. This impacts on the driver control, driver feel and driver feedback to a degree.

Adaptive dampers artificially work to keep the BMW flat in turns, under acceleration and braking. This is done by increasing or decreasing the damping forces on the move. This is why the 330i on adaptive suspension offered a better ride in Sport mode over that of the 320d on passive fixed-rate dampers. The electronics are always working in your favour.

The issue for any prospective purchaser of a BMW 3 series on the firmer M Sport suspension:

If the mechanical typewriter keys are firm to press - they are always firm. If the mechanical typewriter keys are too soft to press - they are always too soft. In order to change from soft typewriter keys to firm typewriter keys, you need to change the typewriter keys. Similar thing with passive fixed-rate dampers. You’re stuck with either firm or comfortable all the time.

The computer controlled adaptive dampers do create a loss of ultimate feel for both driver and chassis. It does make sporty driving easier, but less engaging and less demanding on the driver.

With the adaptive setup, there is no need to change the typewriter. If you want Comfort - press a button. If you desire firmer and sporty – press another button. If you want really firm – press Sport +. It’s a lot easier than having to swap out dampers.

BMW have done an excellent job of finding the ultimate balance between adaptive Comfort and Sport settings. Well done BMW.

In respect to the difference between the BMW M-Sport suspension and BMW Luxury suspension: I’m figuring the passive suspension on the no-cost Luxury option would be better suited over the passive M-Sport suspension for Australian conditions for normal driving in traffic.

All BMW 3 series vehicles sent to Australia ride on M Sport suspension. This is the default suspension setting for Australia. The standard Luxury suspension is available to order as a no-cost option if you’re happy to wait for build and delivery.

It’s not surprising that BMW Australia have opted to fit adaptive dampers to all G20 BMW 330i’s and 340xi’s as standard equipment. Passive dampers are not available to order in Australia for the 330i and 340xi variants.

Cheers,

WJ
Appreciate 2
      06-09-2020, 11:35 PM   #13
brissim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 30d (2011 F25) - now sold

Thanks for the time and effort you've put into the test drives and then writing this up. Very much appreciated.

Pretty much confirms what we'll be seriously looking at later this year - although in our case we'll be getting the 330i wagon (which of course is the only 3 Series wagon variant available in Australia). Although - despite the hefty increase in cost - also beginning to give some serious consideration to the Alpina B3 wagon. Time will tell.

Tony

Edit : I recall reading somewhere that BMW Australia have dropped the 320d sedan from its lineup for MY21 models. If you want the diesel - get in quick.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 06:56 AM   #14
-EndOfAnEra-
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD

Garage List
Quote:
Passive -v- Adaptive Suspension:

The fixed-rate passive dampers -v- adaptive dampers are a bit like a typewriter and computer keyboard.

The fixed-rate passive dampers are like the typewriter. They are purely mechanical. The passive typewriter will always offer more driver control, chassis feel and chassis feedback. There’s a direct mechanical connection between the wheels, suspension and chassis. Just like the typewriter. The passive dampers will allow the vehicle to lean, roll, dive, pitch and heave to a greater degree. This is based purely on mechanical forces.

The adaptive dampers are like a computer keyboard. Adaptive puts a layer of computer algorithm control between the driver’s inputs and the wheels, suspension & chassis. This impacts on the driver control, driver feel and driver feedback to a degree.

Adaptive dampers artificially work to keep the BMW flat in turns, under acceleration and braking. This is done by increasing or decreasing the damping forces on the move. This is why the 330i on adaptive suspension offered a better ride in Sport mode over that of the 320d on passive fixed-rate dampers. The electronics are always working in your favour.

The issue for any prospective purchaser of a BMW 3 series on the firmer M Sport suspension:

If the mechanical typewriter keys are firm to press - they are always firm. If the mechanical typewriter keys are too soft to press - they are always too soft. In order to change from soft typewriter keys to firm typewriter keys, you need to change the typewriter keys. Similar thing with passive fixed-rate dampers. You’re stuck with either firm or comfortable all the time.

The computer controlled adaptive dampers do create a loss of ultimate feel for both driver and chassis. It does make sporty driving easier, but less engaging and less demanding on the driver.

With the adaptive setup, there is no need to change the typewriter. If you want Comfort - press a button. If you desire firmer and sporty – press another button. If you want really firm – press Sport +. It’s a lot easier than having to swap out dampers.

BMW have done an excellent job of finding the ultimate balance between adaptive Comfort and Sport settings. Well done BMW.

In respect to the difference between the BMW M-Sport suspension and BMW Luxury suspension: I’m figuring the passive suspension on the no-cost Luxury option would be better suited over the passive M-Sport suspension for Australian conditions for normal driving in traffic.

All BMW 3 series vehicles sent to Australia ride on M Sport suspension. This is the default suspension setting for Australia. The standard Luxury suspension is available to order as a no-cost option if you’re happy to wait for build and delivery.

It’s not surprising that BMW Australia have opted to fit adaptive dampers to all G20 BMW 330i’s and 340xi’s as standard equipment. Passive dampers are not available to order in Australia for the 330i and 340xi variants.

Cheers,

WJ
Thanks very much for that wonderfully detailed response! That makes tremendous sense. I'm as confident in my choice as you are in yours, good luck with your purchase and hope to see you around!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 11:49 AM   #15
moonboy
Enlisted Member
Solomon Islands
Rep
Drives: cartt

19” with runflat is a no-go, 18” with regular tire would change perception a lot. Confirms what dealer told me when I was speccing, if you go m-suspension with 19” you must add adaptive, you can go 19” with standart suspension though.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 06:42 PM   #16
Davidbmwdd
Private
Rep
Drives: 325i

It is interesting your comparison between 320d and 330i in terms of acceleration in low end and your feeling that 320d is more punchy then 330i. Usually that is typical for diesel engines which have more torque the the petrol engines but in shorter range. By looking the specs,acctually both 330i and 320d have same 400 NM max torque: 330i has available maximum torque at lower rpm (1550 rpm ) then the 320d (1750 rpm). In my country 98 % Bmw’s are diesel engines. I have driven G20 320 diesel( just a test drive) and I was not that impressed with the acceleration. I have not tried new 330i although i have driven 328i and 430i and I was very pleased about the performance of these engines.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2020, 03:01 AM   #17
francton
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d g20

Garage List
2019 BMW 320D  [0.00]
Quote:
BMW 320d -v- BMW 330i

Background:

I spent the morning testing driving two versions of the 3 series:

320d M-Sport on passive dampers.
330i M-Sport Plus Package with M-Sport Limited Slip Differential on adaptive dampers.

My previous vehicle was a Golf 7 GTI.

BMW 320d:

The 320d diesel had the M-Sport package with 19" wheels, small brakes, Alcantara seats and passive dampers.

320d - Motor:

The diesel motor of the 320d sedan is incredibly strong down-low in the rev range. The 2.0 litre turbo-diesel punches hard in the lower gears. It gets to the speed limit very quickly around town. The ZF 8 speed auto changes up imperceptibly, it almost feels like a CVT belt driven transmission – only much faster.

The drawback of the diesel is that the power band is narrower compared to the petrol motor. The Diesel auto does not hold the revs as long as the 330i petrol motor. The petrol takes time to work smoothly through its power band.

The 320d does not have to be worked as hard to gain forward momentum. All that diesel torque down low is perfect for highway cruising. The BMW diesel motor is remarkably smooth as it revs out through the gears. It's a fantastic diesel motor, albeit a bit one dimensional in its power delivery. Long-term, I could definitely live with this motor for city and highway cruising. Fuel economy would be great too.
i have the 320d. completely love the low down torque and the fuel economy. always brings a smile to my face. such a pity that bmw Australia literally force people to buy the pterol versions by not providing decent standard options on the 320d. i had to search the second hand market to find a low km used car at a competitive price and with leather trim, 360 cameras, adaptive suspension and comfort access.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2020, 03:08 AM   #18
Delija
VIP
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i xDrive

You should try M340i - the smile would be even bigger
      06-12-2020, 03:46 AM   #19
francton
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d g20

Garage List
2019 BMW 320D  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delija View Post
You should try M340i - the smile would be even bigger
If only i could afford it mate
Appreciate 1
Delija40.50
      06-28-2020, 05:40 AM   #20
WhiteJames
Rep

M Sport - Fixed Rate Passive Dampers: 340xi v 320d/330i.

We’re not comparing apples with apples when comparing the G20 BMW M Sport 340xi six-cylinder and the 320d/330i four-cylinders on fixed-rate passive M Sport dampers re: Ride Comfort. In Australia, the 320d and 330i come with run-flat tyres. The 340xi comes with standard non-run flat tyres plus a tyre repair kit. The 340xi standard tyres are softer, making for improved ride comfort. Additionally, the 340xi sedan is about 200kgs heavier than the rear-wheel-drive only 320d and 330i. The extra weight on standard tyres may also add to ride-comfort in the 340xi.

320d M Sport on fixed rate passive dampers:

The 320d riding on fixed-rate passive M Sport dampers have the special internal shock absorber bumps stops. The special internal bumps do reduce the incidence of large bump - high-speed compression primary ride sharpness/jarring on public roadways. They soften the edge a bit for larger & sharper pot-holes. The special dampers work much better on softer bitumen roadways in Australia. The special BMW fixed-rate dampers have some merit in them.

It’s concrete roadways that bring out the worst in the standard fixed-rate passive M Sport suspension when riding on run-flat tyres. There are premium aftermarket alternatives to the standard BMW M Sport fixed rate dampers. Koni FSD or Ohlins DFV shock absorbers come to mind. Not a cheap alternative. These aftermarket passive dampers have more advanced internal valving than the standard BMW dampers, adding to both comfort and sport. If your ride on passive M Sport dampers is too firm, then it may be an option for you if you’re willing to spend the time, effort and money. Adaptive dampers option is the more convenient option re: moving from Comfort to Sport to Sport + on the fly.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 05:41 AM   #21
WhiteJames
Rep

Diesel -v- Petrol:

I’ve had the opportunity in the past to drive some of the Volkswagen Group products on the race track on VW sponsored driver training days. I was equally impressed with the low-end torque of the Volkswagen Golf GTD diesel down the main straight as I was with the top-end shove of the petrol Golf R/Sirocco R. Similar thing with the BMW 320d diesel.

The BMW diesel motor seem to punch so much harder & forcefully in the lower rev range. More than the specifications suggest re: power/torque figures. The diesel is great for highway cruising, overtaking, towing and city driving. The diesel motor would be more usable for normal driving around town. The BMW turbo-diesel is quieter and smoother than the VW/Audi diesel product.

The 330i petrol BMW twin scroll turbo feels more refined and linear when it spins onto boost than the VW/Audi standard non-twin-scroll turbos. My friend in his Audi S3 sedan gave me a lift to and from the BMW dealership for 320d and 330i test drives. Punching the Audi S3 on the same test route had my back pinned to the seat-back. The Audi S3 boost comes on much stronger & abruptly, pushing you through a long second gear ratio. The Audi S3 and BMW 330i weigh about the same. By the seat of the pants, the Audi S3 is definitely faster than the BMW 330i sedan.

The BMW 330i petrol twin -scroll motor spins more freely with more refinement, but never pins you to the seat-back like the Audi S3 sedan. Blame the lower 1st to 4th gear ratios for this when punting the BMW 330i at lower speeds, in addition to refinement of the twin-scroll power delivery. The 330i petrol motor feels like it is capable of giving more. The same motor in the M135i hatch is tuned to pump out an additional 35 kW of power and 50 Nm of torque compared to the 330i.

On another note:

There must be a clear line of demarcation between the 330i and 340xi for performance. The 330i being lighter vehicle with an added power delivery may cannibalise 340xi sales, if they are too closely related in performance. There needs to be some distinction between to the two variants. I believe that the 330i is also aimed at a slightly different target market. Perhaps the less driver focussed everyday driver looking for a nice blend of sports/comfort package for everyday use.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 05:43 AM   #22
WhiteJames
Rep

Interior:

BMW has left buttons where they are needed most. Changing from Comfort to Sport adaptive chassis and motor tune was so much easier than on my previous Volkswagen Golf GTI. This includes the stop/start button too. To change settings on the VW takes way too much time. Your eyes are off the roadway for way too long on the Volkswagen. The VW display icons are far too small, making it a hit & miss affair on the GTI when on the move.

The BMW driver and centre console displays, although not class leading, are much more user friendly. Information is easy to decipher at a glance. Not a fan of the orange and red colours. Would’ve preferred blue or white. Otherwise BMW has done a fantastic job of making it much easier and less stressful for the driver to read information & change driver settings. On my second test drive, I was really getting to feel at home in the BMW 3 series cockpit. Something I could never do in my previous Golf 7 GTI.

M Sport Plus Package – M Sport Differential:

When I was handed the keys to the 330i. I initially thought that my local dealer made a mistake. I asked to drive a 330i M Sport with M Sport Differential (LSD). The car I received did not have the tell-tale rear lip spoiler that comes as part of the M Sport Plus Package. I did not have presence of mind to check if the 330i had the distinctive M Sport coloured seat belts as part of the M Sport Plus Package. The salesperson said that they would check to confirm that the 330i had the M Sport Plus Package with M Sport Differential upon my return, after test driving the 330i.

It took me less than half a dozen corners on my test route to decipher that the 330i I was driving had the M Sport limited slip differential. After driving the 320d with no LSD, there was no doubt in my mind that the limited slip differential was present in this vehicle and working in my favour. The M Sport Differential allowed a greater ability to dive deeper into the sweet G20 chassis. I could get closer to and had greater feel of the threshold of the grip on the throttle. I could also feed the power on in a more progressive and incremental way, playing with the threshold of grip. At the end of the test drive, the BMW dealer confirmed the 330i did in fact have the M Sport Differential. The WhiteJames butt-o-meter does not lie.

The conundrum is that many Australian dealers don’t stock M Sport Plus Package 330i vehicles with M Sport Differential. The M Sport Plus Package is not a big seller in Australia apparently. BMW dealers may try to talk you into purchasing what they have in stock, which are vehicles without LSD. I beg to differ. While the 330i without M Sport Differential is still a fine vehicle with loads of rear-end grip and a fine balance. The limited slip M Sport differential takes the vehicle to another level re: Ultimate Driving Machine.

A study about a decade ago found that many BMW owners did not know whether their vehicle was FWD or RWD. In this respect, BMW dealer claims have credence re: many prospective purchasers will not notice the difference between the standard ESC setup and the optional M Sport Differential (LSD). If you’re an enthusiast with experience of having driven with a limited slip differential in the past, you may miss not having the M Sport Differential.
Appreciate 0