Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions My 330i lacks power at low speed

09-10-2020, 03:45 PM   #1
b1gtuna
Rep
Drives: 2020 330xi

My 330i lacks power at low speed

I get constant yawning that my 330xi is lacking punch from low speed in standard driving mode.

For example, when I merge into traffic from parking lot, there is this hollow moment of silence between me stepping onto the gas and the engine getting to work.

I tried the sport mode but the issue there is that it's too jerky for driving in the city... and my dog literally cries... in tears.

I briefly considered switching the car to an M340i. I'm sure it's hell of a lot faster but also much more jerky. Or.. does it offer more linear torque band as it's a 6 cylinder?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 04:46 PM   #2
Benjamin_Nicholas
BEAST? ... How dare you.
Rep
Drives: BMW, Porsche

It's their now-classic inline 6. It's not known for being jerky.

It's got a smooth band of power, a bit like the way a Tesla feels when accelerating.
2023 BMW X5M
2020 BMW M340i (retired)
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 07:00 PM   #3
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
It sounds like it could be the auto start/stop.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

09-10-2020, 07:04 PM   #4
JasonDot
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4, X3 and 330e

Has it always done that?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 07:16 PM   #5
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

Sounds like something is wrong. Even when I've had 330i loaners it was never jerky or that delayed in response. The M340i is very smooth in its power delivery and is quite a bit faster, but don't jump ship before you get your car looked at because it sounds like something is wrong.
      09-10-2020, 08:05 PM   #6
IndotagSwizz
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1gtuna View Post
I get constant yawning that my 330xi is lacking punch from low speed in standard driving mode.

For example, when I merge into traffic from parking lot, there is this hollow moment of silence between me stepping onto the gas and the engine getting to work.

I tried the sport mode but the issue there is that it's too jerky for driving in the city... and my dog literally cries... in tears.

I briefly considered switching the car to an M340i. I'm sure it's hell of a lot faster but also much more jerky. Or.. does it offer more linear torque band as it's a 6 cylinder?
Do you share the car with anybody else? Sounds to me like the transmission adaptation on your pedal is trying to get a feel for how you drive, this sometimes happens after certain module resets or updates during services or when you start driving in a mode you don't usually use or even when you drive the car in a way you don't usually drive it, after a couple of drives or days the car will adapt to your perfect diving style
      09-11-2020, 11:51 AM   #7
b1gtuna
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin_Nicholas View Post
It's their now-classic inline 6. It's not known for being jerky.

It's got a smooth band of power, a bit like the way a Tesla feels when accelerating.
Alright.. I'm arranged a test drive on a M340 next week. Never too late I suppose
Appreciate 1
      09-11-2020, 11:57 AM   #8
b1gtuna
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
It sounds like it could be the auto start/stop.
Right I will pay more attention to it and see. Usually I can tell if it's the auto start/stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonDot View Post
Has it always done that?
I had the car for about 2 months only, but it's been like that the whole time. That said, I guess I just don't know what a 3 series should feel like. It's my first 3 series, so I may just have to get used to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
Sounds like something is wrong. Even when I've had 330i loaners it was never jerky or that delayed in response. The M340i is very smooth in its power delivery and is quite a bit faster, but don't jump ship before you get your car looked at because it sounds like something is wrong.
Damn, I wish I had checked out M340 before getting the car haha. I really didn't think I'd wished for more power. I will do some test drives at my dealership and see if my car is normal. I don't think anything is really wrong with it honestly. I may just be sensitive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndotagSwizz View Post
Do you share the car with anybody else? Sounds to me like the transmission adaptation on your pedal is trying to get a feel for how you drive, this sometimes happens after certain module resets or updates during services or when you start driving in a mode you don't usually use or even when you drive the car in a way you don't usually drive it, after a couple of drives or days the car will adapt to your perfect diving style
No I drive it myself. That said, I've been toying around with the drive modes and the way I drive the car a lot the past 2 months (since I got the car). So perhaps it is learning about my driving habit as much as I 'm getting to know the car?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2020, 01:37 PM   #9
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

The above is pretty comprehensive. Short runs and carbon build up? Boost hose leak? Software update? Bad gas causing knock and poor combustion?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2020, 12:17 AM   #10
JudgeDreadLocks
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i xDrive

Have you tried turning off Chassis stabilization? When I first received my 330i, I noticed the same thing, relatively sluggish acceleration off the line, especially during sharp turns such as leaving a lot. Hitting the dsc button once reduces this effect significantly. I think since there is so much torque so early in the rev range, the dsc cuts power significantly, even more so in comfort mode. It made a big difference for me.
Appreciate 1
ztech132.00
      09-12-2020, 08:50 AM   #11
b1gtuna
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul_Glo View Post
The above is pretty comprehensive. Short runs and carbon build up? Boost hose leak? Software update? Bad gas causing knock and poor combustion?
Thanks for the pointers! It could definitely have been carbon build up as my commute is about 2 mile. Software is up to date and I just get the premium from Costco. Luckily I began pushing the car harder as of late. Revving high turns out to be pretty exhilarating. So build up shouldn't be an issue I hope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudgeDreadLocks View Post
Have you tried turning off Chassis stabilization? When I first received my 330i, I noticed the same thing, relatively sluggish acceleration off the line, especially during sharp turns such as leaving a lot. Hitting the dsc button once reduces this effect significantly. I think since there is so much torque so early in the rev range, the dsc cuts power significantly, even more so in comfort mode. It made a big difference for me.
Lol thanks for seeding the idea. I just recently discovered the joy of driving sport mode at > 3500 RPM. It's about to get even more fun...
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2020, 09:21 AM   #12
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Thanks for the pointers! It could definitely have been carbon build up as my commute is about 2 mile. Software is up to date and I just get the premium from Costco. Luckily I began pushing the car harder as of late. Revving high turns out to be pretty exhilarating. So build up shouldn't be an issue I hope.
Is driving a bit harder changing the gearbox behaviour and characteristics? It should do.

Transmission could simply be adapting (on the fly) to your driving style and use.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2020, 10:10 AM   #13
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul_Glo View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudgeDreadLocks View Post
Lol thanks for seeding the idea. I just recently discovered the joy of driving sport mode at > 3500 RPM. It's about to get even more fun...
Just needs a longer drive around once a week. Would be good for the battery and engine too. Hit the highway or make a longer trip to go somewhere or see someone. Then you can do all the 2 miles you want in the week. It probably doesn't get up to temp on two miles and if it does then it's not there for long.

Happy motoring man.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 01:50 PM   #14
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

I hate how all auto transmissions try to start the car off in 2nd most of the time, and when you realize you aren't moving with the throttle down halfway, you push it further, but since the car wasn't planning on shifting to 1st, it takes a while to figure it out, then reluctantly downshifts, then you get a big jerky acceleration. The sport modes tend to minimize this, but I still notice it. The other issue is now manufacturers play with the throttle mapping and how linear/progressive the throttle is. In one mode, one of my cars a regressive throttle that delivers a lot of power for fairly low pedal push, it's not hard to control at all, it's just disappointing that pushing it further doesn't make you go with the same authority as the beginning stroke. I prefer it's linear throttle map.

But power at low speed shouldn't be an issue with these turbo cars that have a large amount of torque available at very low RPMs. What is sometimes an issue is throttle lag and transmission downshifting, the transmissions try to be very agressive for mpg, which means they are in as high a gear as possible, which means when you push the pedal, you won't go very fast, reluctant downshifting, etc. Eco modes are the worst for this and city driving can be frustrating when the mode doesn't match what you want the car to do.
      09-18-2020, 08:03 PM   #15
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep
Drives: i4 eDrive40 & Cupra Leon 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
I hate how all auto transmissions try to start the car off in 2nd most of the time, and when you realize you aren't moving with the throttle down halfway, you push it further, but since the car wasn't planning on shifting to 1st, it takes a while to figure it out, then reluctantly downshifts, then you get a big jerky acceleration. The sport modes tend to minimize this, but I still notice it. The other issue is now manufacturers play with the throttle mapping and how linear/progressive the throttle is. In one mode, one of my cars a regressive throttle that delivers a lot of power for fairly low pedal push, it's not hard to control at all, it's just disappointing that pushing it further doesn't make you go with the same authority as the beginning stroke. I prefer it's linear throttle map.

But power at low speed shouldn't be an issue with these turbo cars that have a large amount of torque available at very low RPMs. What is sometimes an issue is throttle lag and transmission downshifting, the transmissions try to be very agressive for mpg, which means they are in as high a gear as possible, which means when you push the pedal, you won't go very fast, reluctant downshifting, etc. Eco modes are the worst for this and city driving can be frustrating when the mode doesn't match what you want the car to do.
I presume that what you describe is what OP is feeling. AT these days always want to shift higher up, to reduce rpm and reduce COČ emission. Although the 330i has wide torque band, when you go below 1400rpm, the torque is insufficient to pick up with significant pace. Then the transmission shifts down a few gears and all of a sudden it goes... but it all feels jerky, non progressive. I hate this non-progressive behaviour!
Appreciate 1
ztech132.00
      09-21-2020, 01:18 PM   #16
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post

With the torque multiplication given by the torque converter at step off this shouldn't be an issue, it is with DCT and my M5 would catch me out starting in 2nd but with the ZF8 that shouldn't happen in fact I've never experienced it, it's the nice thing about slush boxes.
      09-21-2020, 08:31 PM   #17
TheRetroGuy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i xDrive mSport

Have you tried customizing sport / individual with leaving suspension in comfort mode? My 330x is m-sport with adaptive suspension, I switch between this custom mode and adaptive often. In either mode I could never describe the car as jerky and never a shortage of power. In sport suspension mode, and with the transmission in S mode then yeah it drives like a true sports car and the holding of gears can be felt, but otherwise.... Not sure how that compares to same without adaptive suspension.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 02:17 AM   #18
Ikester19
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: G20 M340ix; F30 328i msport

Garage List
2018 330i LCI  [0.00]
2020 G20 M340ix  [0.00]
Quote:

Sounds to me like it's turbo lag, my previous F30 330i did a similar thing. I would test drive another 330i to compare and get the dealer to inspect the vehicle as well
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2020, 11:37 AM   #19
slickerxcuh
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

Came here to say it might be turbo lag too, I came from NA Honda so it took some time getting used to.
Appreciate 0