Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK 330e reviews are in, and they're great!

08-16-2019, 03:08 PM   #23
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
I can't see how a 330i could be cheaper to run over a 5 year period from new. Perhaps beyond that when increased warranty costs for the hybrid could change the calculations, but not before.

As well as low fuel costs the other amazing thing about the 330e we have is that the rear tyres lasted almost 50k miles and the fronts almost 70k miles. We are now at 80k and brakes pads are still not even half worn, and still on original discs.

I'm guessing regen braking is helping the brakes last a lot better than a standard car, but no idea why the tyres are lasting so well.
You could well be correct Terry, I was thinking there was a bigger cost penalty on buying the car, than I've just noted on BMW's site.

You mention regen braking, that is one of my concerns, my brakes don't get enough use on my normal drive, hence the corrosion and early replacement. Perhaps I'd need to grease them, help them last if they are not used.

Tyres are probably a more ECO influenced compound. Less grippy?
Current one had Bridgestone Potenza from new and also now as replacements, so not a fantastic tyre, but not particularly an eco tyre either.

I believe the new 330e are coming on Cinturato tyres, which doesn't inspire me to be honest.

The only other thing I wondered is whether the electric engine gives a "smoothness" in torque which leads to less wear somehow... though that's me grasping at theories with no technical understanding!
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 03:21 PM   #24
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
Current one had Bridgestone Potenza from new and also now as replacements, so not a fantastic tyre, but not particularly an eco tyre either.

I believe the new 330e are coming on Cinturato tyres, which doesn't inspire me to be honest.

The only other thing I wondered is whether the electric engine gives a "smoothness" in torque which leads to less wear somehow... though that's me grasping at theories with no technical understanding!
Must be a combination of factors, not sure of any specific, to be honest.

I noted the tyre choice for the new 330e, know what you mean.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 05:15 PM   #25
mlcgd21
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M, G20 BMW 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShereKhan View Post
Definitely agree Autogefuhl are probably the best. But its not as detailed as they normally are.
Yes normally they are much more detailed, unfortunately he did not give any important feedback regarding the real electric range, or mpg in general during his test, or even compared it with the 330i in terms of handling, acceleration, etc.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 05:51 PM   #26
mlcgd21
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M, G20 BMW 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky6 View Post
I think you're likely to be the first on the forum to get one, I for one will be awaiting your "real world" fuel economy and electric range report + whether you think the magazine reports are accurate :-)

My office commute is 45 miles each way (75% motorway (with a few traffic jam spots), rest A-roads with very small amount of 30mph) + I can charge at work so I'm hopeful I might get 90MPG+

My current 200 mile (each way) drive to a project in Manchester I'm not so hopeful on! ;-)
I do 32 miles per day from home to work and back, I will probably use very little fuel, so my feedback won't be the most interesting, but I will let you know, my car arrived to Portugal already
Appreciate 0