Bimmerpost
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics DIYs and Coding Discussions Carly on G20

08-06-2019, 06:28 PM   #1
Serottab1kr
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i X

Carly on G20

I have done some coding in the past on a 17 A4. The Carly app covers pretty much everything I would like to do on my 20 M340i. Just curious if anybody has used the Carly on a G20 and their opinion if it worked well?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 05:18 PM   #2
fstephano
Rep
Drives: G20 330i m sport

Stay away from Carly! At least for now. Contrary to their deceptive website which lists just about everything as codable, there are only a few things that can be coded for now, and none of those items are useful. Their tech support does not know if they will ever add on more codable items. I paid for the app and bought the device so I can code auto start/stop (ASS) and video in motion, but neither of those are supported. When I contacted their tech support to ask why they list just about everything on their website as codable, but don’t actually support it, they told me I should have used the Demo version of the app to see what was codable before buying and refused to give me a refund. Contacting my credit to dispute the charges now.
Appreciate 4
      08-10-2019, 09:26 PM   #3
Serottab1kr
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstephano View Post
Stay away from Carly! At least for now. Contrary to their deceptive website which lists just about everything as codable, there are only a few things that can be coded for now, and none of those items are useful. Their tech support does not know if they will ever add on more codable items. I paid for the app and bought the device so I can code auto start/stop (ASS) and video in motion, but neither of those are supported. When I contacted their tech support to ask why they list just about everything on their website as codable, but don’t actually support it, they told me I should have used the Demo version of the app to see what was codable before buying and refused to give me a refund. Contacting my credit to dispute the charges now.
thanks for the information! I found a local guy who did some coding for me using e-sys. Though, there were only 4 or 5 codable he could do.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2019, 07:15 PM   #4
fstephano
Rep
Drives: G20 330i m sport

I was thinking about doing the same but heard that when BMW does a systems update (wirelessly over the air now with i drive 7), all coding is lost and needs to be redone. I don’t want to have to pay to have the coding redone. Ideally looking for a solution that lets me code myself. Bimmercode and Carly would have been great since I don’t have access to e-sys but I guess the g20 is too new for it to be supported.

How much did you pay and what did you have coded?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 10:54 AM   #5
Serottab1kr
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstephano View Post
I was thinking about doing the same but heard that when BMW does a systems update (wirelessly over the air now with i drive 7), all coding is lost and needs to be redone. I don’t want to have to pay to have the coding redone. Ideally looking for a solution that lets me code myself. Bimmercode and Carly would have been great since I don’t have access to e-sys but I guess the g20 is too new for it to be supported.

How much did you pay and what did you have coded?
I had two cars coded at the same time, for the M340i I had the guy add the M animation, turn off seat belt audio warnings, enable volume memory and seat heat memory. He couldn’t do much else, since the cheat sheets are not out there yet. Both cars was $200.

I used Kao at ********* dot com. I highly recommend him.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 01:08 PM   #6
KMoore
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW G20

I have Carly which works great on our E89, however when plugged into the G20 it connects to the phone but refused to connect with the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 02:55 PM   #7
rajens00
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 330xi

Garage List
My Carly experience with my G20 is verbatim the same as fstephano's. Carly's website lists dozens of codable features for the G20, however it actually only supports 4 or 5 features. The only one useful to me was trunk close from the cabin. The lame excuse they gave me was BMW released a new version of iDrive 7 in March and they had programmed for the earlier version.
Appreciate 1
      Yesterday, 03:37 PM   #8
TTG
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i xDrive ZMM

Garage List
I have used Carly in pretty much all of my BMW's and it works great. It takes sometime for their development team to catch up but once everything is up and running it works just fine.

It is also a good value as cars come and go, I have been using the same device.

Having said that, I have used Kao locally in here to code more complicated stuff and he is awesome!
2007 E92 335i -Space Gray.....ED Oct 19th, 2006 - Retired
Appreciate 0