Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Looking For My First Bimmer (M340i)

03-29-2023, 12:04 PM   #1
Buddha
Rep
Drives: G37

Looking For My First Bimmer (M340i)

Hello everyone, hope all is well.

I am looking at purchasing my first BMW as I am currently coming from the Infiniti platform. I am pretty set on the G20 m340i as the B58 seems to be bulletproof and even compared to the modern 2JZ.

Now upon research, I have concluded a few facts. The 2020-2021 models seems to be the most "sought" after as these years were before they starting removing features due to shortages and cutting-cost procedures. The only difference between the 2 seems to be the 48V MHT system introduced as well as removal of the ASS button. The exhaust note as well has been tamed but maybe due to the OPF being introduced?

The 2022 model seems to be the worst pre-LCI model due to the shortages and removal of features.

The 2023 LCI model seems to be great due to the physical changes (exterior and interior) but it still deals with cost-cutting issues. Personally, I am not a fan of the single big screen but I heard iDrive 8 is promising.

Therefore, I am leaning towards the 2020-2021 model (ideally 2020 at the moment). From my research, there isn't much difference besides what I stated above. I have a few questions though that will help me with my search:

1. Is there a way I can tell what packages are on a vehicle visually and if so, what are the giveaways? For example, spotting the "Shadowline Package" can be done by the red brake calipers? And if not, is the only way to tell if a car has "Parking Assistance Package" or "Premium Package" is to physically get in the car and turn it on?

2. How can I determine if a car has "Adaptive Suspension" as this feature seems to be very sought after. I plan to add coilovers to my car eventually anyways so does this feature matter if I plan to do this?

3. For the 2021+ models with 48v MH and tamed exhaust note, does the exhaust note affect me if I plan to replace the exhaust anyways? Also, when and how do I determine if my car has an OPF or not (US model). I read that the exhaust note isn't mainly from the 48V MH but also the introduction of OPF.

These are my main questions as of now when it comes to helping me purchase my first m340i. Thank you very much and I am excited to try out the B58 platform.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2023, 03:11 PM   #2
Ramos
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 2020 M340

No cars on the US have the OPF filters.
You can’t go wrong with either 20 or 21 model years, it comes down to finding the right car for you. Prices are similar but you’ll probably find more options and less mileage on a 20 that’s priced similar to a 21.

I got my 20 a couple months back pretty loaded, CPO with 16k miles for $46k.

Loaded 21 are running high $40’s
While I haven’t driven a 21 with the 48V system, it’s supposed to make the auto start stop feature more seamless. But at the expense of more parts that can fail in the future if you intend to keep the car long term.

You also lose out on the ability to tune with the 21’s, and on the factory pops and burbles.

Either way, it’s a phenomenal car and a huge step up from my F30 340i, you won’t be disappointed.
Appreciate 1
Buddha6.00
      03-29-2023, 04:13 PM   #3
johndoe1983
Eagle1
Rep
Drives: BMW M440i

I have a M440i 2021 white cabriolet with 23,500k on the odo.

Done 3000km last fall at 7.5li/100 km. Very good for this big engine. Rear propulsion, insane.

I just love this car, lots of power, hyper confortable. I have all the possible packages included. Need to say lots a new things to learn.

RAMOS is right, the auto start stop feature is seamless.

Good luck in your research.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
madpistol1744.50
Buddha6.00
      03-29-2023, 04:17 PM   #4
Buddha
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramos View Post
No cars on the US have the OPF filters.

You also lose out on the ability to tune with the 21’s, and on the factory pops and burbles.
Thanks for clarifying that the OPF filters are not installed on any US models. I did read they included those filters due to European standards.

As for losing the ability to tune in 2021+, I had no idea the ECUs are locked and that is also great information to know. This is probably the reason I will be looking for a 2020 now.

In my area, 2020s with miles ranging from 20k to 40k are going for 42k-48k. I wish I could find one in Dravit Gray but those seem to be unicorns, especially with the packages I am looking for (Premium, Executive). I guess I will settle for Premium and Driving Assistance and just wrap the car.

I appreciate the information and I am pretty positive on the 2020 now.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2023, 04:37 PM   #5
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha View Post

I am looking at purchasing my first BMW as I am currently coming from the Infiniti platform. I am pretty set on the G20 m340i as the B58 seems to be bulletproof and even compared to the modern 2JZ.

Now upon research, I have concluded a few facts. The 2020-2021 models seems to be the most "sought" after as these years were before they starting removing features due to shortages and cutting-cost procedures. The only difference between the 2 seems to be the 48V MHT system introduced as well as removal of the ASS button. The exhaust note as well has been tamed but maybe due to the OPF being introduced?

The 2022 model seems to be the worst pre-LCI model due to the shortages and removal of features.

The 2023 LCI model seems to be great due to the physical changes (exterior and interior) but it still deals with cost-cutting issues. Personally, I am not a fan of the single big screen but I heard iDrive 8 is promising.

Therefore, I am leaning towards the 2020-2021 model (ideally 2020 at the moment). From my research, there isn't much difference besides what I stated above. I have a few questions though that will help me with my search:

1. Is there a way I can tell what packages are on a vehicle visually and if so, what are the giveaways? For example, spotting the "Shadowline Package" can be done by the red brake calipers? And if not, is the only way to tell if a car has "Parking Assistance Package" or "Premium Package" is to physically get in the car and turn it on?

2. How can I determine if a car has "Adaptive Suspension" as this feature seems to be very sought after. I plan to add coilovers to my car eventually anyways so does this feature matter if I plan to do this?

3. For the 2021+ models with 48v MH and tamed exhaust note, does the exhaust note affect me if I plan to replace the exhaust anyways? Also, when and how do I determine if my car has an OPF or not (US model). I read that the exhaust note isn't mainly from the 48V MH but also the introduction of OPF.

These are my main questions as of now when it comes to helping me purchase my first m340i. Thank you very much and I am excited to try out the B58 platform.
Wow!!! This is quite possibly the best researched first post I’ve ever seen posted on any BMW forum I’ve ever been on!! Congratulations!!

I’m going to answer your questions in just a few minutes. I’m a little busy right this second.

—————————

2020 is by far the best choice.

You can tell if it has the Parking pkg by looking for the small camera at the bottom of the kidney grills in the middle. Almost all have the Premium pkg, but one clue is the heated steering wheel button at the top of the middle spoke of the steering wheel, though the heated steering wheel was available as a standard alone option. If you can see the HUD in the top of the dashboard that would confirm the Premium pkg. The Executive pkg automatically includes the Parking pkg. You can tell if it has the Driving Assistance pkg Pro by the sensor in the center of the lower grill up front. I can’t think of a visual indicator whether the regular Driving Assistance pkg is present. The stitching on the seats and the door panels indicates leather. Leatherette/SensaTec does not have the extra stitching on the seats or the door panels.

A car with adaptive suspension will have an “Adaptive” button at the bottom of the row of buttons on the console to the left of the gear selector. It is next to the parking brake lever.

If you have the VIN you can look up the equipment here www.bimmer.work or www.mdecoder.com
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

Last edited by tturedraider; 03-29-2023 at 05:50 PM..
Appreciate 4
madpistol1744.50
Buddha6.00
ham34085.50
      03-29-2023, 05:44 PM   #6
am3r1ka
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
https://www.mdecoder.com will be your friend. I’d advise finding a highly spec car and see what all are listed and then use that as a baseline for packages.
      03-29-2023, 07:13 PM   #7
Buddha
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Wow!!! This is quite possibly the best researched first post I’ve ever seen posted on any BMW forum I’ve ever been on!! Congratulations!!

I’m going to answer your questions in just a few minutes. I’m a little busy right this second.

—————————

2020 is by far the best choice.

You can tell if it has the Parking pkg by looking for the small camera at the bottom of the kidney grills in the middle. Almost all have the Premium pkg, but one clue is the heated steering wheel button at the top of the middle spoke of the steering wheel, though the heated steering wheel was available as a standard alone option. If you can see the HUD in the top of the dashboard that would confirm the Premium pkg. The Executive pkg automatically includes the Parking pkg. You can tell if it has the Driving Assistance pkg Pro by the sensor in the center of the lower grill up front. I can’t think of a visual indicator whether the regular Driving Assistance pkg is present. The stitching on the seats and the door panels indicates leather. Leatherette/SensaTec does not have the extra stitching on the seats or the door panels.

A car with adaptive suspension will have an “Adaptive” button at the bottom of the row of buttons on the console to the left of the gear selector. It is next to the parking brake lever.

If you have the VIN you can look up the equipment here www.bimmer.work or www.mdecoder.com
Wow, thank you very much for the informative post. This answers everything regarding the packages which will be very helpful on my search. I hate how some of these dealers just post "Back up camera! Heated Seats!" and not actually post the packages it has.

As for the Adaptive suspension, I will definitely look for the button in person. I know this feature is almost always recommended so hopefully I can get one with it as I heard the ride can be "rough" without it.

Regardless, I am set on a 2020 as I recently found out they locked the ECU to prevent tuning on the 2021+ models. I guess the only way you can get around this is to ship it to Finland which can be crazy expensive.

Once again, thank you very much for the informative post. I appreciate it greatly. Also, I am envious of your Dravit Grey M340i as I can not find any within driving range to me . Thank you!
Appreciate 2
      03-29-2023, 10:35 PM   #8
Ramos
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 2020 M340

FYI, my “loaded” 20 doesn’t have adaptive driving assistance pro, which would have been nice, but wasn’t a requirement of mine, and it also doesn’t have adaptive suspension.

I know you refer to that as a must have option, but I actually didn’t want it.
In my opinion, comfort in adaptive is too soft, and sport is too harsh, while the passive suspension is always perfect! The result of decades of BMW advancement in suspension tuning.

I’m in the minority as most on this forum do consider the adaptive suspension a must have option. I guess it depends on how bad your roads are, but for me, the passive suspension is perfect, and removes the need to constantly fiddle with this setting.
Appreciate 1
Buddha6.00
      03-29-2023, 10:59 PM   #9
Buddha
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramos View Post
FYI, my “loaded” 20 doesn’t have adaptive driving assistance pro, which would have been nice, but wasn’t a requirement of mine, and it also doesn’t have adaptive suspension.

I know you refer to that as a must have option, but I actually didn’t want it.
In my opinion, comfort in adaptive is too soft, and sport is too harsh, while the passive suspension is always perfect! The result of decades of BMW advancement in suspension tuning.

I’m in the minority as most on this forum do consider the adaptive suspension a must have option. I guess it depends on how bad your roads are, but for me, the passive suspension is perfect, and removes the need to constantly fiddle with this setting.
From what I see on the used car market near me for 2020s (about 5-7), none of them list "Adaptive suspension". On top of that, I plan to add coilovers so I am not sure how the adaptive suspension works with aftermarket coils.

I think I rather have most packages and no adaptive suspension versus the other way around. I heard the Laserlights is pretty nice too but most I see are LED. Hopefully I can find a good, low mileage 2020 with most packages for around ~$45k. If only G80s weren't 80k
Appreciate 1
Ramos862.50
      03-29-2023, 11:15 PM   #10
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
From what I see on the used car market near me for 2020s (about 5-7), none of them list "Adaptive suspension". On top of that, I plan to add coilovers so I am not sure how the adaptive suspension works with aftermarket coils.

I think I rather have most packages and no adaptive suspension versus the other way around. I heard the Laserlights is pretty nice too but most I see are LED. Hopefully I can find a good, low mileage 2020 with most packages for around ~$45k. If only G80s weren't 80k
The coronas on the laser lights look nice and they say the laser lights are very good when they’re on. BUT, they’re not going to be on a lot. They are only the high beams and there are fairly limited parameters where they actually come on.

After having the cameras on my F30 they became a must have for me on my M340i.

03-29-2023, 11:43 PM   #11
peelerec
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340i Mineral Grey

Garage List
2022 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:

2. [B]How can I [...]
Most of your questions have already been addressed so I’ll answer the one I can add value, which is the MY 22 exhaust note. It definitely doesn’t sound as aggressive and burble as the 20’ model year. However, switching for an aftermarket exhaust pretty much fixed that issue other than the burbles. You can program burbles in if you really want that.
Secondly, as others have mentioned, the DME is locked so you’ll either have to use a piggyback or send your DME to FEMTO to unlock. You could also just not tune your car. The B58 has plenty of usable power but to each there own.
Buddha6.00
      03-30-2023, 08:29 AM   #12
mwinemil
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

If you're dealing with a dealer, ask for the ipacket as it will contain all of the packages (and their codes, and the VIN) for the car. I used these heavily when I was looking at purchasing.

I have a 2021, and admit that I didn't do enough research to determine that the 2021 requres the DME to be sent to Findland to get unlocked. If you plan to tune the car 2020 is the way to go, as others have stated.

Even still, the car puts a smile on my face every day.
Appreciate 1
Buddha6.00
      03-30-2023, 09:39 AM   #13
Bc2005
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

Based on my limited experience, adaptive option is probably an unusual option because dealers don’t understand it. I ordered my 2021 new and the dealer (at least 20 years selling BMWs) knew nothing about adaptive and could not explain it, so I didn’t select it.

Run-flats at high pressure (BMW recommends about 39/42 psi), and standard suspension, is rough on city streets, but smooth on highways. Go-flat tires are smoother riding, but the mandatory spare tire option (when ordering new) takes up a lot of trunk space. The high performance tire and cooling option includes go-flats and a mobility kit ( slime and compressor instead of a spare), and raises the speed limiter to 150 mph, but it’s a very uncommon option.

The most surprising thing I’ve found about my M340i is the excellent gas mileage. When a car does 0-60 in about 4 seconds, and then gets 32-33 mpg in Comfort mode on the highway, I find that very unusual.

My 2021 has auto start-stop (ASS) and the 48 volt mild-hybrid battery, but it only took about 5 minutes with BimmerCode to turn off ASS permanently.
Appreciate 1
Buddha6.00
      03-30-2023, 10:56 AM   #14
johndoe1983
Eagle1
Rep

[QUOTE=am3r1ka;29983860]https://www.mdecoder.com will be your friend.

Thank you very much. Now i now exactly my M440i options.

Cheers
Appreciate 2
am3r1ka1413.00
Buddha6.00
      03-30-2023, 11:04 AM   #15
johndoe1983
Eagle1
Rep

Bc2005
You wrote: but it only took about 5 minutes with BimmerCode to turn off ASS permanently.

What do I need to use and buy for the BimmerCode. Not familiar with OBD2 etc...

Would like to buy something that will tell me the problem in battery management and configure different others parameters.

Thank you for your help

M440i 2021 cabriolet

ref: https://bimmercode.app/adapters/?series=g
Appreciate 1
Buddha6.00
      03-30-2023, 11:09 AM   #16
Buddha
Rep

Quote:
The coronas on the laser lights look nice and they say the laser lights are very good when they’re on. BUT, they’re not going to be on a lot. They are only the high beams and there are fairly limited parameters where they actually come on.

After having the cameras on my F30 they became a must have for me on my M340i.
I figure a lot of people skip this option since every M340i I've looked at online are listed as LED. No problem though as I rarely use my high beams due to the area I live in is a city and well lit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peelerec View Post
Most of your questions have already been addressed so I’ll answer the one I can add value, which is the MY 22 exhaust note. It definitely doesn’t sound as aggressive and burble as the 20’ model year. However, switching for an aftermarket exhaust pretty much fixed that issue other than the burbles. You can program burbles in if you really want that.
Secondly, as others have mentioned, the DME is locked so you’ll either have to use a piggyback and send your DME to FEMTO to unlock. You could also just not tune your car. The B58 has plenty of usable power but to each there own.
Hey, I think I saw you in another thread while researching the car haha. I think it was the comparison of "Pre-LCI vs LCI". As for the burbles and programming it in, is that considered tuning it and cannot be done due to the locked DME / ECU? Or is this a different type of programming? As for the locked DME, I am not sure if I plan to tune it but more of a factor of having the option versus not. I'm sure BMW had its reason to lock the DME but for an engine that is being compared to the modern 2J (at least from what I read), it seems obvious to get the one that is readily tunable.

Regardless, I am not the biggest fan of burbles but a few every now and then doesn't hurt. I'm more a fan of the "blimp" sound or when you upshift while on throttle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwinemil View Post
If you're dealing with a dealer, ask for the ipacket as it will contain all of the packages (and their codes, and the VIN) for the car. I used these heavily when I was looking at purchasing.

I have a 2021, and admit that I didn't do enough research to determine that the 2021 requres the DME to be sent to Findland to get unlocked. If you plan to tune the car 2020 is the way to go, as others have stated.

Even still, the car puts a smile on my face every day.
I will definitely bring this up when I go. I am using your basic "car marketplace" websites such as cars and autotrader and most are listed under dealers. I figured 2020 is new enough where I can potentially get one as a CPO but we'll see. I think I am going to avoid buying a car from CarMax though because I heard terrible stories about those lol. As for the locked DME, I am definitely getting a 2020 due to this information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bc2005 View Post
Based on my limited experience, adaptive option is probably an unusual option because dealers don’t understand it. I ordered my 2021 new and the dealer (at least 20 years selling BMWs) knew nothing about adaptive and could not explain it, so I didn’t select it.

Run-flats at high pressure (BMW recommends about 39/42 psi), and standard suspension, is rough on city streets, but smooth on highways. Go-flat tires are smoother riding, but the mandatory spare tire option (when ordering new) takes up a lot of trunk space. The high performance tire and cooling option includes go-flats and a mobility kit ( slime and compressor instead of a spare), and raises the speed limiter to 150 mph, but it’s a very uncommon option.

The most surprising thing I’ve found about my M340i is the excellent gas mileage. When a car does 0-60 in about 4 seconds, and then gets 32-33 mpg in Comfort mode on the highway, I find that very unusual.

My 2021 has auto start-stop (ASS) and the 48 volt mild-hybrid battery, but it only took about 5 minutes with BimmerCode to turn off ASS permanently.
From my research on forums, it seems everyone has adaptive suspension. But when searching on the used car market, not a single post lists it as an option near me. So either these dealers are clueless about it like you mentioned and not mentioning it in the description or they simply do not have it. Thanks to tture, I can now look for the button on the console to confirm if a car does or doesn't have it.

I plan to add KW coilovers eventually anyways so I am sure that will help the ride out (at least I hope). We will see though.

As for the MPG, I've heard GREAT things about M340i's MPG. Coming from an Infiniti, I literally average 14mpg in the city. I'm getting V8 numbers in a NA V6 lol.

I heard the 2021 removed the ASS physical button and made it where you can only turn it off by going into "Sport" mode. If you are in "comfort", it stays on? I could be incorrect but that is good to know I can program it to turn it off completely because I am not a fan of ASS.

Thanks everyone for the replies. Hopefully I can find one within the next month.

Last edited by Buddha; 03-30-2023 at 11:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2023, 11:14 AM   #17
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
BMW’s CPO website is also a good resource. Surprisingly not all dealers post their CPO cars there, but most do. https://www.bmwusa.com/certified-pre....html#/results

The ipacket is super nice for the dealers that use it, but not all do. Some of them even post the completed CPO Inspection Checklist for the specific car.

03-30-2023, 11:22 AM   #18
Buddha
Rep

Quote:
BMW’s CPO website is also a good resource. Surprisingly not all dealers post their CPO cars there, but most do. https://www.bmwusa.com/certified-pre....html#/results

The ipacket is super nice for the dealers that use it, but not all do. Some of them even post the completed CPO Inspection Checklist for the specific car.
Wow this is way better than Cars and Autotrader lol. I love how it lists the packages right there for you. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2023, 11:26 AM   #19
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
When you’re shopping for CPOs ask for these things. The CPO Inspection Checklist. It’s four pages long. They are supposed to provide it, but rarely do without being asked. Ask for the work order showing what work was done to bring the car up to CPO standards. Some dealers include this in the ipacket. And ask for a copy of the Vehicle Warranty Inquiry. It shows everything that has been done to the car during the warranty period since the car went into service. Most dealers will tell you they can’t show it to you for privacy reasons. That’s not true. There is a version they can print that has no previous owner information. They may say it’s proprietary. That’s not true either. Push them and they will give in. Tell them there will be no deal without that inquiry. They will acquiesce. I have gotten many, many, many of these in my years of shopping for CPO BMWs.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf MechCheck 2.pdf (196.7 KB, 33 views)
File Type: pdf BMWCPOWhatIsNotCovered.pdf (95.0 KB, 17 views)
File Type: pdf MechCheck 4.pdf (103.4 KB, 22 views)
File Type: pdf BMW CPO inspection guidelines.pdf (327.0 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by tturedraider; 03-30-2023 at 11:55 AM..
Appreciate 3
      03-30-2023, 12:45 PM   #20
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndoe1983 View Post
Bc2005
You wrote: but it only took about 5 minutes with BimmerCode to turn off ASS permanently.

What do I need to use and buy for the BimmerCode. Not familiar with OBD2 etc...

Would like to buy something that will tell me the problem in battery management and configure different others parameters.

Thank you for your help

M440i 2021 cabriolet

ref: https://bimmercode.app/adapters/?series=g
1. buy the app on iphone or android
2. buy a compatible obd2 thingy. i use OBDLink MX+ (there are a million others but they are all roughly the same price)

if you wannt diagnosis you can buy another app - Bimmerlink but i can't comment on that as I've not used it.
Appreciate 1
      03-30-2023, 12:47 PM   #21
B58-M340iX
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bc2005 View Post
I love ASS (lol) on my M340. I looked in the menu and I've saved about 3 days of idling time. I'd say that's a win. I know I can shut it off in Sport/Sport+ or using Bimmercode, but I enjoy savings over time when not slinging it around.
Appreciate 1
GRB6086.00
      03-30-2023, 01:45 PM   #22
mwinemil
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Quote:
I will definitely bring this up when I go. I am using your basic "car marketplace" websites such as cars and autotrader and most are listed under dealers. I figured 2020 is new enough where I can potentially get one as a CPO but we'll see. I think I am going to avoid buying a car from CarMax though because I heard terrible stories about those lol. As for the locked DME, I am definitely getting a 2020 due to this information.
You probably already know this, but CPO can only come from the manufacturer's dealer. If autotrader or whatever has it listed, most dealer websites will as well. Also, my research showed that BMW dealers ONLY CPO a car when at least half of the mfg warranty is gone. That is, half of the time or half of the mileage.
Appreciate 0