Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Looking For My First Bimmer (M340i)

03-30-2023, 02:03 PM   #23
Darren Lewis
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340ix

Garage List
2020 M340i  [0.00]
Hope your search is going well. I also just came over from an Infiniti (Q50 RS400) to my first BMW. While I loved the car, the M340 feels like such an upgrade. Both are fast, but the transmission/suspension/technology are far superior.

I searched for a few months before I found the one. Buying used was tough as I am very picky and wanted it as fully loaded as possible. The only options I didn't get were the shadowline package and adaptive suspension.

The shadowline was no big deal as I have already swapped out those pieces of trim, but I do wish I had the adaptive suspension. I don't mind it so much, but when I have others in the car, it would be nice to have it ride a bit smoother. I am going to go from the stock 225/40/19 square setup on run flats to a PS4S size 235/40/19, I am thinking that will soften up the ride a bit.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2023, 02:34 PM   #24
peelerec
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340i Mineral Grey

Garage List
2022 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Lewis View Post
Hope your search is going well. I also just came over from an Infiniti (Q50 RS400) to my first BMW. While I loved the car, the M340 feels like such an upgrade. Both are fast, but the transmission/suspension/technology are far superior.

I searched for a few months before I found the one. Buying used was tough as I am very picky and wanted it as fully loaded as possible. The only options I didn't get were the shadowline package and adaptive suspension.

The shadowline was no big deal as I have already swapped out those pieces of trim, but I do wish I had the adaptive suspension. I don't mind it so much, but when I have others in the car, it would be nice to have it ride a bit smoother. I am going to go from the stock 225/40/19 square setup on run flats to a PS4S size 235/40/19, I am thinking that will soften up the ride a bit.
It does soften it a bit with that proposed setup 👍🏻
      03-30-2023, 02:36 PM   #25
DrOpenWide
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
When you’re shopping for CPOs ask for these things. The CPO Inspection Checklist. It’s four pages long. They are supposed to provide it, but rarely do without being asked. Ask for the work order showing what work was done to bring the car up to CPO standards. Some dealers include this in the ipacket. And ask for a copy of the Vehicle Warranty Inquiry. It shows everything that has been done to the car during the warranty period since the car went into service. Most dealers will tell you they can’t show it to you for privacy reasons. That’s not true. There is a version they can print that has no previous owner information. They may say it’s proprietary. That’s not true either. Push them and they will give in. Tell them there will be no deal without that inquiry. They will acquiesce. I have gotten many, many, many of these in my years of shopping for CPO BMWs.
perhaps i'm naive, and i really don't purchase used cars anymore, but to what advantage would a dealer have withholding the cpo checklist and the warranty inquiry from a potential buyer?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2023, 03:07 PM   #26
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrOpenWide View Post
perhaps i'm naive, and i really don't purchase used cars anymore, but to what advantage would a dealer have withholding the cpo checklist and the warranty inquiry from a potential buyer?
None at all. Unfortunately the general position of most dealers is to provide as little information as possible to potential buyers. Also, most dealers actually have very little understanding of the process BMWNA sets forth for the CPO program. Also, fortunately, a few dealers are now providing quite a bit of information with the “ipacket”, but relatively few dealers use it and many of those who do only provide limited information. I’ve seen maybe two or three dealers who use it who will post the completed inspection checklist and also the work order showing the work done, but they are few and far between. Most dealers have a link that makes you think they are going to show the inspection checklist, but it just shows a sample checklist.

If they don’t choose the right form of the warranty inquiry it does show the previous owner, so their default position is we can’t show it to you, but there is a form they can print that only shows details about the car with no identifying information.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

Last edited by tturedraider; 03-30-2023 at 03:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2023, 04:47 PM   #27
Darren Lewis
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2020 M340i  [0.00]
All of the dealerships around here were pretty straightforward with that info. I reached out to many in OH, and even into MI and PA when I was on the hunt. All of them were able to provide the link to the ipacket which had the CPO checklist, car fax, etc. Maybe it is finally starting to become more of a common practice.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2023, 05:06 PM   #28
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
All of the dealerships around here were pretty straightforward with that info. I reached out to many in OH, and even into MI and PA when I was on the hunt. All of them were able to provide the link to the ipacket which had the CPO checklist, car fax, etc. Maybe it is finally starting to become more of a common practice.
It is getting more common, but I think it’s still the exception overall.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

03-30-2023, 05:45 PM   #29
oonowindoo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i RWD

Quote:

Go wider. 225 40 F and 255 35 R is perfectly fine as those are the OEM sizes for Xdrive with "factory" PS4s. Your wheel might be only 19x8 but the staggered ones are only 8.5 with 255 in the back... tire might look a little meaty but will fit just fine.

I still can't wrap my head around the idea why BMW would ever even consider putting 225 in the back M340i to begin with.
Actually i have been asking the same question since 2012 when F30 335 was introduced.

Last edited by oonowindoo; 03-30-2023 at 05:51 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-31-2023, 10:31 AM   #30
Darren Lewis
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2020 M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by oonowindoo View Post
Go wider. 225 40 F and 255 35 R is perfectly fine as those are the OEM sizes for Xdrive with "factory" PS4s. Your wheel might be only 19x8 but the staggered ones are only 8.5 with 255 in the back... tire might look a little meaty but will fit just fine.

I still can't wrap my head around the idea why BMW would ever even consider putting 225 in the back M340i to begin with.
Actually i have been asking the same question since 2012 when F30 335 was introduced.
I've seen a few guys here run 245/40/19 on the 19x8 wheels, but I am not a fan of it, aesthetically. I think 235/40 is the widest I would go.

But I do agree, these are way to small from factory for an M Performance model
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2023, 09:39 PM   #31
Buddha
Rep
Drives: G37

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
When you’re shopping for CPOs ask for these things. The CPO Inspection Checklist. It’s four pages long. They are supposed to provide it, but rarely do without being asked. Ask for the work order showing what work was done to bring the car up to CPO standards. Some dealers include this in the ipacket. And ask for a copy of the Vehicle Warranty Inquiry. It shows everything that has been done to the car during the warranty period since the car went into service. Most dealers will tell you they can’t show it to you for privacy reasons. That’s not true. There is a version they can print that has no previous owner information. They may say it’s proprietary. That’s not true either. Push them and they will give in. Tell them there will be no deal without that inquiry. They will acquiesce. I have gotten many, many, many of these in my years of shopping for CPO BMWs.
I will definitely ask for the iPacket and CPO Inspection Checklist when I check out the vehicle in person. Quick question back on the topic of the packages: does the heads-up display only come with the "Premium Package"? The reason I ask is because some of these cars on the BMW CPO website don't list "Premium package" under the "Packages" but lists "Heads-up Display" under features.

I will just ask for the iPacket to confirm but wanted to confirm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwinemil View Post
You probably already know this, but CPO can only come from the manufacturer's dealer. If autotrader or whatever has it listed, most dealer websites will as well. Also, my research showed that BMW dealers ONLY CPO a car when at least half of the mfg warranty is gone. That is, half of the time or half of the mileage.
Got it. Does "BMW CERTIFIED" mean it is a CPO or is this something else entirely? I think from my quick Google search that CERTIFIED is CPO.

Quote:

Ayee another G / Q owner haha. I am definitely excited to switch platforms as much as I loved my G. I got terrible MPG and the transmission was so slow at shifting, but I can say that the G never gave me problems thankfully. At this point, I will estimate it will take me 1-2 months to find the right M340i but hopefully I can get it sooner. I still need to sell my G and the prices on these things are crazy low lol. Glad you're enjoying your BMW though.

Last edited by Buddha; 04-01-2023 at 12:15 AM..
Appreciate 1
      04-01-2023, 08:36 AM   #32
mwinemil
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha View Post

Got it. Does "BMW CERTIFIED" mean it is a CPO or is this something else entirely? I think from my quick Google search that CERTIFIED is CPO.
My experience and belief is that if it says BMW CERTIFIED that is indicating that it is a CPO car. Incidentally, I had a BMW adviser tell me that CPO is approximately $2000 in terms of value in their eyes.
Appreciate 0