Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics Wheels and Tires Performance run-flats or all-season run-flats?

07-06-2023, 01:52 AM   #1
rundeyvoo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 / X3 / 330e / 330i

Performance run-flats or all-season run-flats?

I have a follow up question for all of you G20 owners, especially those that took delivery of one in M-Sport trim -- which tire did you end up choosing on your 19" wheels? Performance run flats or all-season run flats? We're in the process of building our 330e and she wants it in M-sport trim but undecided on whether to go with performance or all-season tires. We're in southern California - LA / OC just for everyone's reference.

I'm also curious as to what brand of tires comes standard on the 3 series. Are the wheels and tires staggered on the g20's? Your input would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by rundeyvoo; 07-06-2023 at 02:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2023, 01:05 PM   #2
falcon1411
2023 M340i RIP :(
Rep
Drives: 2023 m340i

From what I learned, i'd avoid runflats. Im in the process of replacing mines.
If you get a flat tire, and drive on it for the 50 miles or whatever, that tire is damaged beyond repair. In fact, its not recommended to repair a run flat if you drive on it flat. Lets say you drive to a destination flat, chances are they wont have a the exact replacement in stock, either need to leave your car there for a day or so for the shop to get it, or wait. Also, if you have to change the tire that way, the tread wear wont be even.

You most likely already have some sort of road side assistance; AAA, insurance, BMW etc. got a flat? call a tow truck. take you to any shop, quick 20$ 30 minute fix.

The runflats on my M340i are Bridgestone Turanza (all season runflats)
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2023, 01:59 PM   #3
rundeyvoo
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon1411 View Post
If you get a flat tire, and drive on it for the 50 miles or whatever, that tire is damaged beyond repair. In fact, its not recommended to repair a run flat if you drive on it flat. Lets say you drive to a destination flat, chances are they wont have a the exact replacement in stock, either need to leave your car there for a day or so for the shop to get it, or wait. Also, if you have to change the tire that way, the tread wear wont be even.

You most likely already have some sort of road side assistance; AAA, insurance, BMW etc. got a flat? call a tow truck. take you to any shop, quick 20$ 30 minute fix.

This makes sense. Although I don't think you can order non-runflats on the 330e. The only options are performance runflats or all-season Hence the reason I asked for everyone's input on which one to choose.

Does anyone know if selecting all-season runflats would have it come out of the factory in a squared setup vs staggered? I asked my CA and he wasn't sure lol.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2023, 03:26 AM   #4
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

performance
Appreciate 1
      07-08-2023, 11:58 AM   #5
Bc2005
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

Either performance or all season will work for you in Southern Cal. FYI- I noticed that the new full electric BMWs (e.g., i4) now use go-flats, so maybe there will changes in other models.

My M340i came with 19” Pirelli P7 runflats, and the loaner 330e I got last week had 18” P7 runflats. I have also heard of them using Continental and Bridgestone. Standard setup is square with all tires the same.

I do not have adaptive suspension, and the 19” Pirelli P7’s have a rough ride on potholed streets, but are fine on the smoother rural Interstates. The 18” P7’s on the 330e seemed to be smoother, but it might be a combination of tire size and the difference between M340 and 330e suspension harshness.

I don’t think you have a choice on the 330e to get anything other than runflats. On the M340 you can build it with the performance tire option. That includes staggered tires, and it used to include go-flat tires and a mobility kit. Not sure about what it includes in 2024.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2023, 08:53 PM   #6
raf1dd
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon1411 View Post

I am also planning to switch all my runflats to regular since i have already managed to pop all 3 of my Bridgestone Turanza tires and it was sidewall damage so had to change them, well one of them nail went inside. It was a Sunday evening nothing was open to fix it i was 20 miles away from home called bmw roadside they told me I can drive upto 50 miles so drove the 20 miles back home where there is a 24 hour tire repair shop open. I did patch the run flat with the nail in it, so far good but not sure if the runflat tech is still there lol.

23' M340i
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2023, 12:59 PM   #7
1WickedE90
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rundeyvoo View Post
I have a follow up question for all of you G20 owners, especially those that took delivery of one in M-Sport trim -- which tire did you end up choosing on your 19" wheels? Performance run flats or all-season run flats?

I'm also curious as to what brand of tires comes standard on the 3 series. Are the wheels and tires staggered on the g20's? Your input would be greatly appreciated!
Performance run flats, usually Pirellis, on staggered wheels. Bridgestone run-flats on square wheels. When I got mine, I chose staggered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rundeyvoo View Post
Does anyone know if selecting all-season runflats would have it come out of the factory in a squared setup vs staggered? I asked my CA and he wasn't sure lol.
All-season tire selection results in square wheels & 130mph top speed limited.

Performance tire selection (run-flat or otherwise) results in staggered wheels & increased speed limiter of 150mph.
      07-09-2023, 02:12 PM   #8
rundeyvoo
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1WickedE90 View Post
Performance run flats, usually Pirellis, on staggered wheels. Bridgestone run-flats on square wheels. When I got mine, I chose staggered.

All-season tire selection results in square wheels & 130mph top speed limited.

Performance tire selection (run-flat or otherwise) results in staggered wheels & increased speed limiter of 150mph.
Awesome! Thanks so much for letting me know, this is great info!
Appreciate 0