Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Different tyres same axle

05-02-2024, 11:07 AM   #23
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M440i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by sootyvrs View Post
I thought new tyres have 8mm of tread?

I have recently returned from a trip to Scotland and hit a pot hole doing around 60mph and after checking the front tyre I noticed it had a bulge on the sidewall so was looking to replace it.

After reading about 2mm difference on the same axle and between 2.5mm between front/rear axle tolerance on the X-Drive I thought I would have to buy a used tyre or replace all 4!

My tyres (Goodyear F1 RFT's) like yours have around 6mm on the front and 5mm on the rear which a new tyre would make it 2mm difference on same axle and 3mm difference between one front tyre and the rear tyres which I assume would also end up wearing sooner over time as it's rear biased.

I've managed to source a lightly used Goodyear star rated RFT tyre with 7mm which should keep me in tolerance so interested what problems (if any?) you may encounter when your tyres wear down where the new tyre will be down to 7mm for example but the rears will be doen to 3.5mm?
Whilst not exactly related to the titled thread but connected with it, today I couldn't avoid the tarmac edge of a sunken drain cover on my way home. Thanks to the deplorable state of our roads and the constant p*iss and moan from local councils about (almost non-existent) road maintenance budgets, my FNS wheel took the hit and it was sufficient enough to trigger a G-shock sensor recording on the dash cam. So now I have the 'pleasure' of doing another 'smart repair' in the next couple of days on the alloy.
The more relevant point though is the tyre sidewall just shrugged the impact off with no visible damage whatsoever having been sustained.
The tyre is a Pirelli P Zero PZ4 and I feel sure a Goodyear Eagle F1 wouldn't have come off so well, certainly in my past experience.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2024, 12:11 PM   #24
Charlisdad
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340D, 320d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmnut View Post
Whilst not exactly related to the titled thread but connected with it, today I couldn't avoid the tarmac edge of a sunken drain cover on my way home. Thanks to the deplorable state of our roads and the constant p*iss and moan from local councils about (almost non-existent) road maintenance budgets, my FNS wheel took the hit and it was sufficient enough to trigger a G-shock sensor recording on the dash cam. So now I have the 'pleasure' of doing another 'smart repair' in the next couple of days on the alloy.
The more relevant point though is the tyre sidewall just shrugged the impact off with no visible damage whatsoever having been sustained.
The tyre is a Pirelli P Zero PZ4 and I feel sure a Goodyear Eagle F1 wouldn't have come off so well, certainly in my past experience.
So that's definitely a tyre recommendation for future. Sorry to hear of your wheel though. Just had mine smart repaired two weeks ago. Place in Seaham I can recommend.
Appreciate 1
bmnut815.00
      05-02-2024, 12:36 PM   #25
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlisdad View Post
So that's definitely a tyre recommendation for future. Sorry to hear of your wheel though. Just had mine smart repaired two weeks ago. Place in Seaham I can recommend.
Thanks for the recommendation Charlie.
I think I'm going to do it myself, it doesn't look too bad........
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-02-2024, 12:42 PM   #26
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

This was the repair I did (on the same bloody wheel!) a couple of months ago.
If I 'bottle' this one or cock it up can you PM me the place in Seaham you used for your repair, it's just 'down the road' from me.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      05-02-2024, 12:59 PM   #27
paulockenden
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330e xDrive Touring

I don’t understand the poor reputation for F1s and potholes. I’ve been through some real car-jolters (especially at night, in the rain, when potholes become invisible). The roads round here are awful. But the F1s haven’t complained. Perhaps I’ve just been lucky.
Appreciate 1
bmnut815.00
      05-02-2024, 01:10 PM   #28
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
I don’t understand the poor reputation for F1s and potholes. I’ve been through some real car-jolters (especially at night, in the rain, when potholes become invisible). The roads round here are awful. But the F1s haven’t complained. Perhaps I’ve just been lucky.
I think it's down to luck Paul!
I only had Eagle F1s on my F32 435i but lost three to potholes and poor road repair patches over the course of my ownership of the car, about 4 years. That was back in 2013-2017 so maybe Goodyear have improved the sidewall strength since then with newer versions of their tyres.
I loved the super smooth, quiet and comfortable ride they gave and would love to have them again but I'm very apprehensive about fitting them to this car probably due to it being X-Drive and the potential for having to change more than one tyre as per the subject of this thread!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2024, 01:18 PM   #29
sootyvrs
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M340d

Quote:
Thanks for the tip. Still mulling over which tyre to go for but good to hear you have a positive opinion of the PZ4 rft’s

My F1 did sustain some damage hitting the deep pot hole and I was travelling at 60 mph so I was somewhat surprised that the tyre remained inflated and allowed me to get home safely considering the impact it sustained. Here is an image I have uploaded of the damage after the impact.
Attached Images

05-02-2024, 01:31 PM   #30
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Ouch! The tyre looks like it took the full impact and the alloy remained intact apart from rubber transfer on it?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2024, 03:22 PM   #31
sootyvrs
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M340d

Quote:
Ouch! The tyre looks like it took the full impact and the alloy remained intact apart from rubber transfer on it?
Yes it seems to have sustained no damage as far as I know. Got a replacement used F1 tyre fitted and no air leaks but as the tyre also has sidewall bulge it maybe these Goodyears maybe more vulnerable to sidewall damage