Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs Ceramic Wash and Wax

01-07-2023, 01:55 PM   #1
JackMK
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 m340i X 2023 G87 M2

Ceramic Wash and Wax

With my car uncoated, is there any brands that offer like a spray on wash and wax that I can pop into a snow cannon and spray it on and then wash it off?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2023, 08:16 AM   #2
smatanovic
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 i4 eDrive 40 mSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackMK View Post
With my car uncoated, is there any brands that offer like a spray on wash and wax that I can pop into a snow cannon and spray it on and then wash it off?
None of those products is especially durable, or can compare to a properly installed ceramic coating. That said, Griot's Garage Ceramic Wash and Coat works well in a foam cannon, and will give you SOME protection. I use it for maintenance washes (my car already has a coating): first, I foam with Griot's foaming surface wash, then follow that with the Ceramic Wash and Coat. Unless the car is very dirty, these two products can be used touchlessly (i.e. no need for a contact wash; the foam does all the work).
Appreciate 1
figuec56346.00
      01-09-2023, 11:42 AM   #3
JackMK
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smatanovic View Post
None of those products is especially durable, or can compare to a properly installed ceramic coating. That said, Griot's Garage Ceramic Wash and Coat works well in a foam cannon, and will give you SOME protection. I use it for maintenance washes (my car already has a coating): first, I foam with Griot's foaming surface wash, then follow that with the Ceramic Wash and Coat. Unless the car is very dirty, these two products can be used touchlessly (i.e. no need for a contact wash; the foam does all the work).
Do I necessarily need paint protection if I think my paint looks good? Can I just polish or wax it instead?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2023, 08:43 PM   #4
figuec56
Daniel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 330eX

Garage List
2023 BMW 330ex  [0.00]
[QUOTE=JackMK;29716590]Do I necessarily need paint protection if I think my paint looks good? Can I just polish or wax it instead?

I love griots stuff and use the foam cannon. You don’t need the paint correction if you are satisfied with the paint. However, paint can make a world of difference. Even on a new car.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2023, 10:03 PM   #5
Nettles
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Do I necessarily need paint protection if I think my paint looks good? Can I just polish or wax it instead?
Sorry but can you clarify what you’re asking?

Do you mean paint correction or protection? Polish and wax are two different things at two different steps in detailing. None of it makes sense really lol
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2023, 08:35 PM   #6
JackMK
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettles View Post
Sorry but can you clarify what you’re asking?

Do you mean paint correction or protection? Polish and wax are two different things at two different steps in detailing. None of it makes sense really lol
paint correction to get out swirls but even if I have some one my paint, they aren't super visible
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2023, 08:24 AM   #7
smatanovic
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 i4 eDrive 40 mSport

Garage List
Quote:
paint correction to get out swirls but even if I have some one my paint, they aren't super visible
You don't need correction, no, it's just that whatever the state of your paint is before you apply a sealant or a coating, that's the best it's going to look. At a minimum I would apply a stripping product (e.g. Griot's Foaming Surface Prep) to really clean the surface and get maximum bonding.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2023, 05:06 PM   #8
JackMK
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smatanovic View Post
You don't need correction, no, it's just that whatever the state of your paint is before you apply a sealant or a coating, that's the best it's going to look. At a minimum I would apply a stripping product (e.g. Griot's Foaming Surface Prep) to really clean the surface and get maximum bonding.
Yeah, I was prob planning on doing everything but the paint correction part, and let's say for ex: Adam Polishes Graphene coating, how quickly do I need to wipe it off? I live in South FL
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2023, 05:53 PM   #9
G35TOG20
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: G35, Tahoe, 22 M340 xdrive

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah, I was prob planning on doing everything but the paint correction part, and let's say for ex: Adam Polishes Graphene coating, how quickly do I need to wipe it off? I live in South FL
Just did 2 days ago to my 8 months old m340 x drive.
Washed my car 1st, used the foaming gun twice to make sure the car is squeaky clean.
2nd i used Adams surface prep to make sure there's no hydrophobic stuff that I've been using left .
3rd used the advanced graphene ceramic coating on small sections at a time, i waited around 5min to wipe it off ( live South Carolina).
You will notice that the graphene coat start to look rainbow-ish. When the rainbow disappears it's time to wipe it off .
I hope i was helpful.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-13-2023, 02:40 PM   #10
JackMK
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G35TOG20 View Post
Just did 2 days ago to my 8 months old m340 x drive.
Washed my car 1st, used the foaming gun twice to make sure the car is squeaky clean.
2nd i used Adams surface prep to make sure there's no hydrophobic stuff that I've been using left .
3rd used the advanced graphene ceramic coating on small sections at a time, i waited around 5min to wipe it off ( live South Carolina).
You will notice that the graphene coat start to look rainbow-ish. When the rainbow disappears it's time to wipe it off .
I hope i was helpful.
Any paint correction done in the process?
Appreciate 0