Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions software update not installing

07-11-2023, 08:42 PM   #155
mermar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 330e xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by am3r1ka View Post
Anyone run into dealer charging to update within warranty? Says she the updates haven’t been pushed through it’s a $200 charge to force it.
I cant help but think how Tesla hasa software updates nailed - and he re we have some dealer trying to charge for it
      08-30-2023, 08:03 PM   #156
Simsimma7
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340i XDrive

Garage List
Same issue here…very frustrating that we have to pay a dealer to do the update…
Is there any way we can manually do the update ourselves?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2023, 08:31 PM   #157
Archie68
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M440i GC

The software update did work for me. Installed onto phone. Then I turned on car and I got prompt to install via center screen. I am sure having phone paired to BMW correctly is important. Driving around did not end up being necessary. Just having engine on was sufficient. Then next day I got prompt from car to install software. Many conditions must be met before it will start but all are laid out on screen. Flash took. However it did wipe out my prior program for variable light distribution so will need to redo that.

I can say I am a electrical engineer who works as an automotive systems engineer (not BMW) and have experience with remote flashing. Remote flash is a complicated process (not just onboard but also backend servers and connectivity) which typically has many criteria that must be met throughtout remote flash process. It is difficult to make a real robust process (excluding Tesla). Many of these choices on initial conditions are made by OEM to avoid bricking the control module.

I can speak from my engineering experience the success rate of remote flashing in campaigns like this are not typically not very high (< 50%). Also it appears the campaign to correct accidental battery discharge does not necessarily warrant people going out of their way to get update installed. Definitely not worth wasting your own valuable time trying to resolve if it fails. Makes more sense just to live with current version of software. I know this seems wrong since you paid so much for your car.
Appreciate 2
zlatko117.50
      09-19-2023, 07:33 AM   #158
roadster198
Registered
Rep
Drives: 520i touring

I realise It's a 2021 5 series touring I have. However I did the following.

Everything is working on my phone and the app. Update successfully transferred over to the car.

I was getting the message about being notified when the upgrade can be installed.

Having only had the car 2 days I decided to put my optimate 4 onto the car and leave it overnight. The battery was defo needing charged and indicated as much on the charger. I've no idea how long it had been sitting in the dealers.

I got into the car the next day and still the same message until I drove it 4-5 miles and it then prompted for the upgrade when I got to my destination.

The car is now on the latest software.

I do very low miles a year and my previous car was an F11 5 series touring and not for the first time over 3 years did it prompt me that the battery needing a charge hence the reason I have the optimate.

Maybe most of the issues people are having would be solved with a trickle charger?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2023, 11:46 AM   #159
JayDeeJay
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archie68 View Post
The software update did work for me. Installed onto phone. Then I turned on car and I got prompt to install via center screen. I am sure having phone paired to BMW correctly is important. Driving around did not end up being necessary. Just having engine on was sufficient. Then next day I got prompt from car to install software. Many conditions must be met before it will start but all are laid out on screen. Flash took. However it did wipe out my prior program for variable light distribution so will need to redo that.

I can say I am a electrical engineer who works as an automotive systems engineer (not BMW) and have experience with remote flashing. Remote flash is a complicated process (not just onboard but also backend servers and connectivity) which typically has many criteria that must be met throughtout remote flash process. It is difficult to make a real robust process (excluding Tesla). Many of these choices on initial conditions are made by OEM to avoid bricking the control module.

I can speak from my engineering experience the success rate of remote flashing in campaigns like this are not typically not very high (< 50%). Also it appears the campaign to correct accidental battery discharge does not necessarily warrant people going out of their way to get update installed. Definitely not worth wasting your own valuable time trying to resolve if it fails. Makes more sense just to live with current version of software. I know this seems wrong since you paid so much for your car.
What is remote flash?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2023, 10:42 PM   #160
Tim 4723
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadster198 View Post
Maybe most of the issues people are having would be solved with a trickle charger?
Definitely could help some people but my car refused to install the last two updates despite charging the battery.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2023, 06:06 PM   #161
digistil
Private
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i, F30 335i

I couldn’t get the update to install for weeks, and then suddenly wondered if the connection to the phone couldn’t properly be established because I was on CarPlay. I hit the Hone button to go back to iDrive, and tried the update for the seemingly millionth time. It worked!!

Note that I also made sure I had no route set in CarPlay, and was using the FM radio to avoid using CarPlay for music.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2023, 03:51 PM   #162
mermar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 330e xdrive

latest update 7/2023.53

I hesitate to run the update as the last time I did (early summer 2023) it reset a whole bunch of my settings and was sort of a pain to figure out what had been changed and what had not.
In the release notes - I just am not seeing many real enhancements for my '23 330e...but maybe they are not spelled out clearly. Let me know if I am missing something
      11-13-2023, 07:04 PM   #163
Gaviatrix
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mermar View Post
I hesitate to run the update as the last time I did (early summer 2023) it reset a whole bunch of my settings and was sort of a pain to figure out what had been changed and what had not.
In the release notes - I just am not seeing many real enhancements for my '23 330e...but maybe they are not spelled out clearly. Let me know if I am missing something
I didn't notice any changes at all when this update went through - and my car was two versions out of date as both the previous releases had failed to load for me. I don't have any special coding (ie Bimmercode-type stuff) so you may be in a different situation, but all of my profile preferences and general settings seem to have been retained.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2023, 02:47 AM   #164
ramparts
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M40i

Sorry to thread bump, but the fix if you are stuck on "searching for upgrades":

Go to privacy -> turn off Remote Software Upgrade
It should now say 'deactivated' on the RSU screen
Do a head unit reset ( hold power for 30 s)
Go to privacy -> turn on Remote Software Upgrade.
Let car go to sleep.

Next time you get into your car, you'll be able to press the button manually again.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2023, 06:59 AM   #165
dudley@07726
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 MB E400 Cp, 2016 Audi A6

Every time I update, my phone settings change. What a pain.
      03-19-2024, 07:49 PM   #166
Bkeller90
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i (G20)

Garage List
2019 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archie68 View Post

First posted on this back in 2022... still stuck with several versions later and no success on install. Each time I download everything to the phone and transfer to the vehicle all seems to work well. I just never seem to get past the part where it says the vehicle will prompt me when the upgrade is ready to install. I've lost faith in getting help from the dealer. Sad but true... Hope it works better for the rest of you all!
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 12:13 AM   #167
Gaviatrix
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkeller90 View Post
First posted on this back in 2022... still stuck with several versions later and no success on install. Each time I download everything to the phone and transfer to the vehicle all seems to work well. I just never seem to get past the part where it says the vehicle will prompt me when the upgrade is ready to install. I've lost faith in getting help from the dealer. Sad but true... Hope it works better for the rest of you all!
I had a number of updates fail to load, and last service (July last year) I spoke to the dealer and they updated the car for me without charge - I'm well out of warranty, too. The latest download then happened smoothly, so maybe there was a software glitch a few updates back that created the issue ... who knows. So I'd try again with your dealer (or go to a different one!)
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2024, 03:24 PM   #168
Bkeller90
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i (G20)

Garage List
2019 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaviatrix View Post
I had a number of updates fail to load, and last service (July last year) I spoke to the dealer and they updated the car for me without charge - I'm well out of warranty, too. The latest download then happened smoothly, so maybe there was a software glitch a few updates back that created the issue ... who knows. So I'd try again with your dealer (or go to a different one!)
Hmmm... interesting! Makes sense. I have a service coming up so will try to check with another dealer.

I wonder if there authorized shops for software updates besides the dealer. Do anyone know?
Appreciate 0