Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin Low coolant warning after oil change

01-22-2023, 03:21 PM   #1
xinzeli123
Rep
Drives: F82 M4, (Sold) G20 M340i

Low coolant warning after oil change

2020 M340i 18k miles.

Had my oil changed at an independent mechanic yesterday. Did about 50 miles of my normal sport+ spirited driving later in the day without any problems.

Turned car on today, got a low coolant warning. Maybe unrelated, but car's outside temp reading was 10f colder than my phone's weather app. Checked the big reservoir, it was nearly empty... tiny bit of fluid left well below the min mark. Drove it to nearest auto shop 5 miles away and filled it with euro-spec coolant.

Doesn't appear to be any leaks. Never noticed temps going above the mid-point. If the mechanics messed something up, surely something would have been flagged later that day?

Anything to get concerned about? Thinking about taking it to the dealer for an inspection along with some filters and warranty work before it expires.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2023, 02:43 AM   #2
Anik225
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW m340xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by xinzeli123 View Post
2020 M340i 18k miles.

Had my oil changed at an independent mechanic yesterday. Did about 50 miles of my normal sport+ spirited driving later in the day without any problems.

Turned car on today, got a low coolant warning. Maybe unrelated, but car's outside temp reading was 10f colder than my phone's weather app. Checked the big reservoir, it was nearly empty... tiny bit of fluid left well below the min mark. Drove it to nearest auto shop 5 miles away and filled it with euro-spec coolant.

Doesn't appear to be any leaks. Never noticed temps going above the mid-point. If the mechanics messed something up, surely something would have been flagged later that day?

Anything to get concerned about? Thinking about taking it to the dealer for an inspection along with some filters and warranty work before it expires.
I have the same problem did anything happen to your car. And what coolant did you use.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2023, 06:26 PM   #3
smzpower
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw G20 330i

coolant

I would not use any other coolant than BMW it's the safest bet.
I did go to a place close to me and found out the hard way not everyone
on my e90 not everyone should touch a BMW.
Appreciate 0