Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin Weird Dead Battery Issue

03-06-2023, 01:39 AM   #1
unfinedandunfiltered
Rep
Drives: 2022 Mineral/Tacora M340i

Weird Dead Battery Issue

Hi everyone,

Went to get in my 8k mile 22 pre-LCI M340i today and the doors wouldn’t unlock. The alarm also went off for a while.

After unlocking with the valet key there was no power to anything and no result when trying the dead key fob battery start protocol.

Got the car jumped by BMW Roadside Assistance and drove it for 30 minutes, noticing some odd stuff during the drive.

-Turn signals work but no sound.

-Emergency Call failed warning.

-No climate control on led display but seemed to randomly be blowing some heat at my feet.

-Nav screen inaccurate and all over the place.

-Torque and HP meter on sport display pinned continuously, and showing odd measurements (max hp 48?)

-Driving Assistance reduced warning.

-Idrive controller unreliable and often unresponsive. Buttons around it inop.

-Radio inputs inop.

I’m sure I’m forgetting some things too but the whole experience was strange.

I’ve got to say that I’m pretty disappointed that my 8 month old car stranded me like this. There was nothing plugged in to the car that could drain the battery, all that ever gets plugged into it is an iPhone which was not plugged in while it was parked. Lights always left on automatic.

I’m taking it to the dealer tomorrow, anything I should know?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2023, 09:56 AM   #2
G22b58
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G22

For how long was it parked?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2023, 01:26 AM   #3
unfinedandunfiltered
Rep

It was parked for about 9 hours.

Took it in to the dealer today and they claimed a “known software issue that does not allow the transmission to go into sleep mode.” This apparently drains the battery.

They charged the battery, reset everything and
updated the software. So far so good but we’ll see how it is in the coming days/week.
Appreciate 1
RoGo330i142.50
      03-07-2023, 07:52 AM   #4
AM340iMiami
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

That sucks.

Get yourself one of these things so you are not waiting on BMW Roadside to jump you car.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BGMXV56F...roduct_details
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2023, 09:13 AM   #5
ramparts
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfinedandunfiltered View Post
Hi everyone,

Went to get in my 8k mile 22 pre-LCI M340i today and the doors wouldn’t unlock. The alarm also went off for a while.

After unlocking with the valet key there was no power to anything and no result when trying the dead key fob battery start protocol.

Got the car jumped by BMW Roadside Assistance and drove it for 30 minutes, noticing some odd stuff during the drive.

-Turn signals work but no sound.

-Emergency Call failed warning.

-No climate control on led display but seemed to randomly be blowing some heat at my feet.

-Nav screen inaccurate and all over the place.

-Torque and HP meter on sport display pinned continuously, and showing odd measurements (max hp 48?)

-Driving Assistance reduced warning.

-Idrive controller unreliable and often unresponsive. Buttons around it inop.

-Radio inputs inop.

I’m sure I’m forgetting some things too but the whole experience was strange.

I’ve got to say that I’m pretty disappointed that my 8 month old car stranded me like this. There was nothing plugged in to the car that could drain the battery, all that ever gets plugged into it is an iPhone which was not plugged in while it was parked. Lights always left on automatic.

I’m taking it to the dealer tomorrow, anything I should know?
Yup, it was an issue in 22-11-520 -> 22-11-537, which mean a couple of ECUs wouldn't sleep.

I know as it happened to me, and my car was the one that started the repair case !
Fixed with a charge, and a software update, so if anyone has an istep between these numbersk, get updated asap before you get strandard
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2023, 11:20 PM   #6
unfinedandunfiltered
Rep

Guess I’m glad it wasn’t just me, but still, pretty lame on such a new and $$$ machine.
Appreciate 0