Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Tyre pressure

03-01-2024, 12:11 AM   #1
KarimS
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i

Tyre pressure

As per the door sticker I'm supposed to put 39 PSI in the rear wheels and 44 PSI (?!) in the front ones. Both figures (especially front) seem excessively high. I've owned comparable cars in the past and typically the recommended pressure is either 36 in all 4 tyres or possibly 36 rear, 33 front. Also this is the first time the recommended pressure in the front is more than the back. Such a high pressure coupled with these awful RFTs is making the ride a bit janky and uncomfortable, even in comfort mode.

What do you guys think? What do you have your pressure as?

M340i '24
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2024, 01:53 AM   #2
jadatis
Private
Rep
Drives: No BMW

You could determine needed pressure to laws of nature. I can help you with that.
Need tyre-specifications.
1.maximum load or loadindex
2. Standard load or XL
3.speedcode less important

From car, and is most tricky part, and your responcibility, 99% acurate determined axleweights in your use.
But assuming you wont go over the max permissable axleweight you could look pressure for those and see that even with maximum reserve build in it can be lower, and MPAW is most likely lower rear then front.

Also give maximum speed you use, and wont go over for even a minute.
If carmaker calculated pressure its for MPAW's and max technical carspeed.
But your used max speed is probably below 160kmph/99mph, for wich reference-maxload of tyre is determined.

Last edited by jadatis; 03-02-2024 at 01:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 02:21 AM   #3
mbferrari
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F30 330i Sedan

I put 36 all 4 corners, but even after resetting over and over I keep getting low pressure indicated....getting pissed. Mich Pilot Sport stag setup. What gives?
      03-20-2024, 05:58 AM   #4
jadatis
Private
Rep
Drives: No BMW

Can have2 cources.

1. You filled warm after a longer drive, at a tankstation.
Then next morning tires have cooled down.

2.you have indirect low pressure detection, uses ABS sensors to detect differences in rotatio speed.

Then if one brake is hanging, heat produced and transported trough the rimms to tire inside gaschamber, gives higher pressure, so more rolingcircumference, so less rotations a second, and ABS sensors detect difference, and explains that as one low pressure, while in fact one high pressure.

To check that, when warning light goes on after a while driving, park and feel the rimms. If on one you burn your fingers, thats the hanging brake.
Appreciate 0