Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions iDrive 8 - has anyone found a shortcut to increase/decrease Ac fan speed

03-18-2024, 11:31 PM   #1
sim_330e
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e Msport

Garage List
iDrive 8 - has anyone found a shortcut to increase/decrease Ac fan speed

Wondering if anyone has found a way to setup a shortcut on the iDrive 8 to increase/decrease the fan speed when using aircon.

Personally find it annoying to go into climate and then changing the fans speed and or changing it via bmw voice asssitant.

Cheers
Simar
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 11:56 AM   #2
dudley@07726
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 MB E400 Cp, 2016 Audi A6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sim_330e View Post
Wondering if anyone has found a way to setup a shortcut on the iDrive 8 to increase/decrease the fan speed when using aircon.

Personally find it annoying to go into climate and then changing the fans speed and or changing it via bmw voice asssitant.

Cheers
Simar
Same here. I don’t understand why fan speed comes into play when system is on AUTO. On my previous Audi, Lexus, and current MB, fan speed automatically changes when called for. If I get into a hot car and turn AC on, it blows hard until car cools down and then speed decreases.
With my BMW, whatever fan speed I have it on is what it will always blow regardless of the temperature in the car. It should work like the cars I listed above.
      03-19-2024, 12:18 PM   #3
Eljefe25
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i xdrive

Check that your system is set to dynamic in the climate settings. It adjusts fan speed automatically to get to your set temperature.

This has been the best climate system I’ve ever used. I never touch the temperature controls other than to adjust the set temperature up or down on rare occasions.
Appreciate 1
      03-19-2024, 09:52 PM   #4
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

Use these settings and you never have to get to the Fan Speed controls again, ever.

When in use, just tap the Temperature +/- at the bottom of the screen a couple of times to cool or warm the car quickly.

The key is the Dynamic setting which tells iDrive that you want to get to a temperature as quickly and with as much thrust as possible. Other modes get there slowly and quietly. Dynamic is full-blast.

Using these settings all summer and winter has transformed my love of the BMW Climate Control System in iDrive 8. Gone are the days of hitting MAX AC or tap tap tapping up/down the Fan Speed. The system does it all for me now, the only things to tap are the Temperature +/- controls that are always at the bottom of the screen.
Appreciate 7
M3_HEAT31.50
335aw86.00
CSBM52722.50
awh59.00
      03-19-2024, 10:25 PM   #5
sim_330e
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddwalton View Post

Use these settings and you never have to get to the Fan Speed controls again, ever.

When in use, just tap the Temperature +/- at the bottom of the screen a couple of times to cool or warm the car quickly.

The key is the Dynamic setting which tells iDrive that you want to get to a temperature as quickly and with as much thrust as possible. Other modes get there slowly and quietly. Dynamic is full-blast.

Using these settings all summer and winter has transformed my love of the BMW Climate Control System in iDrive 8. Gone are the days of hitting MAX AC or tap tap tapping up/down the Fan Speed. The system does it all for me now, the only things to tap are the Temperature +/- controls that are always at the bottom of the screen.
Thanks mate. That’s really helpful!
Appreciate 1
toddwalton1306.00
      03-20-2024, 07:04 AM   #6
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Thanks mate. That’s really helpful!

Happy to help, it's really the best feature of iDrive 8, changes the entire way one interacts with the Climate Control system. It behaves just like your house- full blast until temperature is achieved, then it quiets down.

I haven't had to hit the MAX AC or Fan Speed controls once since owning the car in August, and this is someone who has had to fiddle with those buttons constantly in BMW's for the last 20 years all Summer and Winter to get comfortable. A total gamechanger.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 08:18 AM   #7
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp, 2011 M3, etc

Quote:
Happy to help, it's really the best feature of iDrive 8, changes the entire way one interacts with the Climate Control system. It behaves just like your house- full blast until temperature is achieved, then it quiets down.

I haven't had to hit the MAX AC or Fan Speed controls once since owning the car in August, and this is someone who has had to fiddle with those buttons constantly in BMW's for the last 20 years all Summer and Winter to get comfortable. A total gamechanger.

Cheers.
Do you have experience with the fan speed set on low or medium but all other settings as you show? I assume it would work the same way and blast high speed air to meet a desired temperature input if needed, but just curious of your experience.
2007 E91 328i Silver, slushbox, Eibach fr/E93 M3 rear sway bars, ARC-8
Appreciate 1
toddwalton1306.00
      03-20-2024, 08:33 AM   #8
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSBM5 View Post
Do you have experience with the fan speed set on low or medium but all other settings as you show? I assume it would work the same way and blast high speed air to meet a desired temperature input if needed, but just curious of your experience.
Yes. Works the same way when it's trying to achieve a temperature and is blasting, no change there. The difference is what happens after it blasts and reaches the set temperature. Think of the "Very Low" vs. "Medium" etc. as what happens to the fan after the initial blasting is over. It's the default maximum fan speed post-blast.
Appreciate 1
CSBM52722.50
      03-20-2024, 08:13 PM   #9
sim_330e
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Cheers.
So when I keep it to a “balanced” setting, it will automatically try achieve the desired temp but won’t blast the fan?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 09:40 PM   #10
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
So when I keep it to a “balanced” setting, it will automatically try achieve the desired temp but won’t blast the fan?
Exactly.

Fan Speed ("Very Low", "Low", "Medium", etc.) is the maximum amount of thrust the system will produce once the target temperature has been achieved.

System Behavior ("Balanced" or "Dynamic") differentiates a smooth experience vs. an aggressive one a) on the way to the target temperature and b) once the target temperature has been reached.

In Balanced, you won't even know that the system is doing anything. It's quiet and doesn't have any noticeable variances in temperature or fan speed. So if you choose Balanced/Very Low and you get in a hot car, the downside is that the system will take awhile to achieve the temperature target but the upside is that you won't notice the fan noise dropping or the system doing anything at all. It's a very subtle kind of climate control configuration.

In Dynamic, oh yes, you know the system is there. So if you choose Dynamic/Very Low and you get in a hot car it's loud and on full blast while it quickly gets you to your target temperature and then once reached whooosh, it gets very quiet and docile. Upside is you cool much faster. Downside is you will notice the airflow when it's on full blast and again when it quiets way down. It's a very un-subtle configuration.

Me, I'm a "get me cool quick give it to me full blast!" kind of guy and I am thrilled that the system just does this for me now without me having to hit MAX AC every time I get in a hot car and then tap tap tap down the Fan Speed once the target temperature is achieved.
Appreciate 2
CSBM52722.50
      03-20-2024, 09:43 PM   #11
sim_330e
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Exactly.

Fan Speed ("Very Low", "Low", "Medium", etc.) is the maximum amount of thrust the system will produce once the target temperature has been achieved.

System Behavior ("Balanced" or "Dynamic") differentiates a smooth experience vs. an aggressive one a) on the way to the target temperature and b) once the target temperature has been reached.

In Balanced, you won't even know that the system is doing anything. It's quiet and doesn't have any noticeable variances in temperature or fan speed. So if you choose Balanced/Very Low and you get in a hot car, the downside is that the system will take awhile to achieve the temperature target but the upside is that you won't notice the fan noise dropping or the system doing anything at all. It's a very subtle kind of climate control configuration.

In Dynamic, oh yes, you know the system is there. So if you choose Dynamic/Very Low and you get in a hot car it's loud and on full blast while it quickly gets you to your target temperature and then once reached whooosh, it gets very quiet and docile. Upside is you cool much faster. Downside is you will notice the airflow when it's on full blast and again when it quiets way down. It's a very un-subtle configuration.

Me, I'm a "get me cool quick give it to me full blast!" kind of guy and I am thrilled that the system just does this for me now without me having to hit MAX AC every time I get in a hot car and then tap tap tap down the Fan Speed once the target temperature is achieved.
Amazing! Thanks for the detailed information! I’m definitely the “balanced, cool it nice and slowly type of guy”. But really glad to know the climate system is smart.
Appreciate 1
toddwalton1306.00
      03-20-2024, 09:52 PM   #12
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Amazing! Thanks for the detailed information! I’m definitely the “balanced, cool it nice and slowly type of guy”. But really glad to know the climate system is smart.
What's cool is that BMW recognizes both our needs and created a mode for each of us.

Where I live, the dramatic need for full blast AC on a boiling hot day is only 3-4 months a year, so the rest of the time even though I'm in Dynamic the cabin is so close to the outside temperature that it acts like it's in Balanced anyway.

In winter, I take full advantage of remote start and so my car is already nice and warm before I get in it and even know that the fans went from full blast down to something moderate anyway. On the days I can't use remote start, it's the same as the summer behavior, full blast of heat until the target is reached and then it quiets way down and maintains it.

Bottom line is, I don't have to take 100s of trips where I have to tap buttons 100s of times anymore. I can just get in the car, start the engine, and the system does what I would have done for me- MAX AC for the first few minutes and then nice and Low once the car is cool.
Appreciate 1