Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin M340i running in

10-19-2023, 01:56 AM   #1
olezheboka
Rep
Drives: M340i

M340i running in

Hi guys, dealer said there is no running in for my 340i, but manual says there is 2k running in, when I should not exceed 4.5k rpm and 160km/h. Asking because I already exceeded 4.5k rpm once just to listen to the engine. How bad is it and why dealer is providing information which is against the manual?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2023, 06:48 AM   #2
Bc2005
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

One run to a high rpm is unlikely to cause any problem.

In the US manuals the break-in period is also 1200 miles, or about 2000 kilometers. Vary the road speed and rpm, and limit the highest rpm during that period. Winding country roads are your friend. It’s also important to listen for unusual sounds that could indicate something is not installed properly, or out of adjustment.

AFAIK, on older cars the break in period was needed to bed the piston rings and other components, but with today’s high quality machining and electronic control of the engine this is less critical.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2023, 08:18 AM   #3
Sporto
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24 M340xi

Garage List
2024 M340Xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by olezheboka View Post
Hi guys, dealer said there is no running in for my 340i, but manual says there is 2k running in, when I should not exceed 4.5k rpm and 160km/h. Asking because I already exceeded 4.5k rpm once just to listen to the engine. How bad is it and why dealer is providing information which is against the manual?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bc2005 View Post
One run to a high rpm is unlikely to cause any problem.

In the US manuals the break-in period is also 1200 miles, or about 2000 kilometers. Vary the road speed and rpm, and limit the highest rpm during that period. Winding country roads are your friend. It’s also important to listen for unusual sounds that could indicate something is not installed properly, or out of adjustment.

AFAIK, on older cars the break in period was needed to bed the piston rings and other components, but with today’s high quality machining and electronic control of the engine this is less critical.
Agree with bc2005. When you can break in per manual that is ideal. Your one high Rev would very rarely cause any issues. Think of it this way, if you didn’t order a car you would get one off the lot and it would have been driven by a handful of customers who mashed the pedal several times each. So ‘new’ cars on the lot have been over the recommended RPM many times.
Appreciate 0