Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions M340i hydroplaning problem

08-17-2023, 04:46 PM   #45
Mason Hatcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by -EndOfAnEra- View Post
Hello everyone,

The last three days in Cleveland we've seen some REALLY heavy rain. The kind that makes it almost impossible to see on the highway. I discovered on my morning commute two days ago that adaptive cruise would make my car hydroplane, lightly and then more severely. I noted an immediate improvement when I turned it off and reasoned that its attempt to constantly hit a specific speed (usually about 65 to 69 MPH) was overwhelming traction with so much water. Turning it off and relying on engine braking by letting the foot off the accelerator improved and I figured that was that.

Then today, same kind of very heavy rain on my commute home. I quickly turned off adaptive and had less problems, but the car still wanted to hydroplane at much lower speeds than I expected.
Cruise control should never be used on wet roads. Your other hydroplaning is due to excessive speed.

Wet roads be slick, yo.
Appreciate 0