Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Sport Mode Steering

10-15-2019, 04:10 PM   #1
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

So I noticed there isn't any difference vs comfort mode at low speeds like in a parking lot. It does get heavier with speed. Makes sense vs having heavier steering (less power assist) at all times like in the F30. Is this what you've noticed in G20?
Appreciate 1
      10-15-2019, 08:01 PM   #2
Liquid_Ice
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
So I noticed there isn't any difference vs comfort mode at low speeds like in a parking lot. It does get heavier with speed. Makes sense vs having heavier steering (less power assist) at all times like in the F30. Is this what you've noticed in G20?
So the steering rack in the 330i is different than the M340i, which may make the experience different depending on the model. The 330i actually gets a brand new steering rack while the M340i gets a revised but essentially the same rack as the F30 had.

With that said -- thats more or less been my experience too - actually the F30 always felt weird to me because at low speeds it was super heavy and then it felt like it got lighter as you were going faster - at least thats the way it felt to me (I had a 2017 340i xDrive).

On my M340i - I still think it is heavier than comfort at low speeds, (sometimes when I'm driving slowly in a parking lot, I turn on sport mode and can feel the wheel get heavier) but definitely lighter than it is at higher speeds. This makes sense to me and what I'd want so the car feels less twitchy at high speeds and isn't unreasonably heavy at low speeds.
Appreciate 1
      10-16-2019, 12:30 PM   #3
bumblebeemer
Rep
Drives: bmw g20 330i msp

I think it's due to the variable sport steering(VSS)
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 12:36 PM   #4
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_Ice View Post
Quote:
So the steering rack in the 330i is different than the M340i, which may make the experience different depending on the model. The 330i actually gets a brand new steering rack while the M340i gets a revised but essentially the same rack as the F30 had.

With that said -- thats more or less been my experience too - actually the F30 always felt weird to me because at low speeds it was super heavy and then it felt like it got lighter as you were going faster - at least thats the way it felt to me (I had a 2017 340i xDrive).

On my M340i - I still think it is heavier than comfort at low speeds, (sometimes when I'm driving slowly in a parking lot, I turn on sport mode and can feel the wheel get heavier) but definitely lighter than it is at higher speeds. This makes sense to me and what I'd want so the car feels less twitchy at high speeds and isn't unreasonably heavy at low speeds.
I did notice just now that it is heavier in sport at low speeds than comfort but it is subtle and not something that would get me to switch to comfort while in a parking lot. If I need to turn quickly I'm fine leaving it in sport and having it get heavier with speed. On the F30 I feel the need to switch to comfort steering from time to time as the steering seems to stay pretty heavy at low speeds.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 02:20 PM   #5
alpinewhite3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Currently searching

Quote:
In everyday driving, the difference between sport/comfort in my 330i is pretty subtle. Only when i push it hard and take a fast corner do i feel the extra resistance in the steering wheel-very noticeable. Otherwise, it feels about the same. I actually prefer the comfort b/c the resistance feels artificial and unnatural. Steering in comfort is weighted nicely and prob as good as it's gonna get for a non-hydraulic set up.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 05:09 PM   #6
Weiner0123
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 m340i. 2013 328i

I found after a recent update I got at the dealer even comfort has been super heavy in parking lots and low speeds, which I love, another thing you can do is go to sport individual leave everything in comfort but have steering set to sport??
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 07:51 PM   #7
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weiner0123 View Post
I found after a recent update I got at the dealer even comfort has been super heavy in parking lots and low speeds, which I love, another thing you can do is go to sport individual leave everything in comfort but have steering set to sport??
I did notice when using sport standard that there was some turbo lag. I have the sport individual set to everything sport and there seems to be less or no turbo lag with stick to the left (S mode) and maybe even in D. Also when set to sport standard but transmission in manual there was less turbo lag as well. My car doesn't have adaptive so it is passive suspension in all settings, but I like the setup just enough comfort but still sporty. I will be returning the car tomorrow but it was good to have a couple of days of seat time to explore the car a little further and get to know it better. I do like how it wakes up and turns on all the way just by opening the door so I have power windows immediately instead of having to press the start button. It seems to figure when you're turning off the car after parking to shut down when you open the door but you can turn the radio back on by pressing the radio on off button. If the car is off and you open the door however it wants to wake up again and the only way to turn it off right away is to lock it.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 08:31 PM   #8
Liquid_Ice
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I did notice when using sport standard that there was some turbo lag. I have the sport individual set to everything sport and there seems to be less or no turbo lag with stick to the left (S mode) and maybe even in D. Also when set to sport standard but transmission in manual there was less turbo lag as well. My car doesn't have adaptive so it is passive suspension in all settings, but I like the setup just enough comfort but still sporty. I will be returning the car tomorrow but it was good to have a couple of days of seat time to explore the car a little further and get to know it better. I do like how it wakes up and turns on all the way just by opening the door so I have power windows immediately instead of having to press the start button. It seems to figure when you're turning off the car after parking to shut down when you open the door but you can turn the radio back on by pressing the radio on off button. If the car is off and you open the door however it wants to wake up again and the only way to turn it off right away is to lock it.
Try Sport Plus or in Sport Individual set the Engine to Sport Plus and Transmission to Sport Plus. There is an actual difference between driving the car in Sport and Sport Plus on the G20 versus the F30 where Sport Plus was just Sport mode with DSC disabled.

I was actually kind of disappointed when I first test drove the M340i - it felt slower than my 2017 340i with MPPSK. That was driving in Sport mode. I just assumed Sport Plus was like in the F30 and you wouldn't want to drive on the street like that since DSC is disabled.

Once I realized this and put engine and transmission into Sport Plus the car felt so much better, engine is more responsive, feels like there is more torque - or at least the car pushes you back into the seat more and the transmission shifts faster and more firm.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 01:18 AM   #9
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Try Sport Plus or in Sport Individual set the Engine to Sport Plus and Transmission to Sport Plus. There is an actual difference between driving the car in Sport and Sport Plus on the G20 versus the F30 where Sport Plus was just Sport mode with DSC disabled.

I was actually kind of disappointed when I first test drove the M340i - it felt slower than my 2017 340i with MPPSK. That was driving in Sport mode. I just assumed Sport Plus was like in the F30 and you wouldn't want to drive on the street like that since DSC is disabled.

Once I realized this and put engine and transmission into Sport Plus the car felt so much better, engine is more responsive, feels like there is more torque - or at least the car pushes you back into the seat more and the transmission shifts faster and more firm.
There is no sport plus in the 4 cylinder model. As for sport plus in the F30, it is the N55 cars where sport + was just having traction controlled scaled back, sport plus with B58 is the same as the G20 where the throttle response is more aggressive. The transmission in sport plus shifts the same as putting the stick to the left in S mode and is less aggressive in sport.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 06:13 AM   #10
Liquid_Ice
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
There is no sport plus in the 4 cylinder model. As for sport plus in the F30, it is the N55 cars where sport + was just having traction controlled scaled back, sport plus with B58 is the same as the G20 where the throttle response is more aggressive. The transmission in sport plus shifts the same as putting the stick to the left in S mode and is less aggressive in sport.
Didn't realize you had a 330i loaner.

Interesting about Sport / Sport Plus -- on my 2017 F30 340i with the B58, there was no difference between Sport and Sport Plus other than traction control. I drove the car many times in both and it was exactly the same - transmission settings and throttle maps. Maybe that was because of the MPPSK? I'm not sure.

On the M340i there is a big difference imho between Sport and Sport Plus for engine/transmission - to the point where I almost dislike driving the car in Sport but like it in Sport Plus.
Appreciate 1
Wmzorba09325.50
      10-17-2019, 06:35 AM   #11
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Didn't realize you had a 330i loaner.

Interesting about Sport / Sport Plus -- on my 2017 F30 340i with the B58, there was no difference between Sport and Sport Plus other than traction control. I drove the car many times in both and it was exactly the same - transmission settings and throttle maps. Maybe that was because of the MPPSK? I'm not sure.

On the M340i there is a big difference imho between Sport and Sport Plus for engine/transmission - to the point where I almost dislike driving the car in Sport but like it in Sport Plus.
I've heard different people say different things about sport plus on 340 being like 335 and not really being any different but there are definitely people like me who I've spoken to in person who say there is a difference in LCI F30 with the B58 and it isn't subtle and this is with or without mppsk. I had my mppsk added after purchase as it is a 2016 so mppsk wasn't available yet in the states so therefore it wasn't port installed and I ordered it later. So yeah it's one of those things that's kind of a mystery as to why people are reporting different experiences with the same car but it makes the most sense to me that B58 cars would have similar DME even if there are some changes to the later B58.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 08:40 AM   #12
klokan
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i, Portimao Blue

Quote:
There is no sport plus in the 4 cylinder model.
There is, at least in EU. OK, at least in my car. And difference is really noticeable.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 10:09 AM   #13
premier3is
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by klokan View Post
Quote:
There is, at least in EU. OK, at least in my car. And difference is really noticeable.
EU yes, American model no.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 11:05 AM   #14
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by premier3is View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I think you can code it on US cars, like folding mirrors via key fob. The dealer can also code auto start stop remember last setting. Which only affects comfort mode.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 11:15 AM   #15
premier3is
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I think you can code it on US cars, like folding mirrors via key fob. The dealer can also code auto start stop remember last setting. Which only affects comfort mode.
From what I've read you can't code sport plus and to have auto start stop disabled at startup. I dislike auto start stop and hate it even more that my last setting of having it turned off is never saved.

If you mean the mirrors folding in via keyfob when you lock the car, that is a setting you can just turn on in your settings in iDrive to enable it.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 11:19 AM   #16
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
From what I've read you can't code sport plus and to have auto start stop disabled at startup. I dislike auto start stop and hate it even more that my last setting of having it turned off is never saved.

If you mean the mirrors folding in via keyfob when you lock the car, that is a setting you can just turn on in your settings in iDrive.
I did read that the dealer was actually doing the ASS remember setting for people who requested it. I know you can do it on F30 and the LCI F30 remembers it by default but they changed it back on G20. Things like folding mirrors aren't on F30 but can be enabled like the euro model so it would seem that coding could enable sport plus if it is on the euro model.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 02:54 PM   #17
Liquid_Ice
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

If you mean the mirrors folding in via keyfob when you lock the car, that is a setting you can just turn on in your settings in iDrive to enable it.
In the coding forum for the G20, Almaretto has said he can code Sport Plus. You can definitely code "ASS remember last setting" because you can do it with Bimmercode.
Appreciate 1
bimmer4562950.00
      10-18-2019, 02:56 PM   #18
premier3is
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

In the coding forum for the G20, Almaretto has said he can code Sport Plus. You can definitely code "ASS remember last setting" because you can do it with Bimmercode.
Dealer can do this for you too? If so I'll just have them do it next time I'm in for service
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 03:38 PM   #19
Liquid_Ice
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Dealer can do this for you too? If so I'll just have them do it next time I'm in for service
I'm not sure if your dealer can do it, you can certainly ask.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 09:48 PM   #20
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Maybe they can code the ASS but not sure if they'll do sport plus. But it is possible to do it.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 09:50 PM   #21
premier3is
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Maybe they can code the ASS but not sure if they'll do sport plus. But it is possible to do it.
I don't think they'll do the sport plus lol, but I'm going to ask about the auto start/stop for sure. Is it just me or is it extremely annoying for anyone else too?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 10:22 PM   #22
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I don't think they'll do the sport plus lol, but I'm going to ask about the auto start/stop for sure. Is it just me or is it extremely annoying for anyone else too?
I usually throw it in sport as soon as I start it up, but I did have it in comfort when I was pulling out and it shut off the motor when I stopped, on my F30 LCI it remembers last setting from the factory. Worst case scenario you can buy a bimmercode tool and it will give you access to a ton of options you can enable in the car yourself like sport plus which I think is a must have to add some more pep and eliminate turbo lag especially for the 4 banger. On the F30, enabling SAT or sport automatic was also a popular thing to do, not sure how many of the G20 come with paddle shifters if it is standard or not.
Appreciate 0